Pattaya police nowhere to be found as injured tourists complain

webfact

In defense of the Royal Thai Police, I reluctantly joined the festivities in Soi Ta-ied in Chalong, Phuket and on-duty police made their way up the road several times.

I wasn't brave enough to aim my weapon at them but others gave them a good wetting and it was received in good spirits with broad smiles.

I was impressed.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once more the only sane response would be to fire the lot of them. Of course that won't happen

Hell will freeze first. Way too many connected people in all levels of RTP, especially upper echelons. Art 44 not powerful enough to take on that massive change. And PM knows every officer that would be affected has his own gun!

Never mind the recent changes in governments, coups, etc.  Several years ago 2005 I think it was I decided to experience Songkran.  It was my 4th trip to Thailand.  Yes it was annoying as during the day you could not walk to the mall, take a baht bus without getting wet, etc.  So after a few days the novelty wore off.  But what I observed was the pent up frustration among the Thais and what I perceived as resentment as the Thais did not just throw water, but literally lashed out at the foreigners.  Luckily it was usually with water, but in their eyes, I saw more hatred.

25 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Never mind the recent changes in governments, coups, etc.  Several years ago 2005 I think it was I decided to experience Songkran.  It was my 4th trip to Thailand.  Yes it was annoying as during the day you could not walk to the mall, take a baht bus without getting wet, etc.  So after a few days the novelty wore off.  But what I observed was the pent up frustration among the Thais and what I perceived as resentment as the Thais did not just throw water, but literally lashed out at the foreigners.  Luckily it was usually with water, but in their eyes, I saw more hatred.

Sorry for your bad experience in the past. I did not feel that at all today, and although I saw only a few foreigners, I felt I was welcomed as a guest, never hated.  Not one negative instance today, just lots of good fun. Saw some police occasionally, but the crowd was exceptionally well behaved. It was a wonderful family event, with children, young, and old taking part. Just get out there and join in and have a good time!

Today's water festivities were in Naklua, and I rode my scooter this afternoon through the full length of it from the dolphin roundabout to the exit on Sukhumvit.  This is a time when you can really interact with all the people. Embrace it!

DSCN7374.JPG

DSCN7384.JPG

DSCN7388.JPG

DSCN7398.JPG

DSCN7408.JPG

DSCN7421.JPG

DSCN7427.JPG

Pretty much a carbon copy of a Samui full moon party.  Expectation of lots of drunk tourists and drunk Thais together.  Good opportunity for friction of some sort.  Lots of talk about security.  In actuality, ZIP police presence in evidence!!!!!  Must have been away on a brown envelope treasure hunt or something equally important to not man the dedicated security tent.

One has to be a complete idiot spending time during Songkran at Pattaya...So, dont complain...Police probably are busy with their handy's and "Mia noi" or reselling the lost 40 kilo's of drugs from last week...Business as usual...

6 hours ago, fullcave said:

You are on your own in Pattaya as the cops prefer the air-con down at the station. To force them to walk the beat would be considered cruel and unusual punishment.  

Inhumane.....?

I did one Songkran in Pattaya years ago and that was wild enugh, I have never wanted to be there for Songkran again.

There was rockets being shot off from the back of pickups that were going down beach street, as well as some on the beach.  People were chucking wather everywhere and most were drunk.  I was soaked and felt quite expoed all the time I was there.

I felt lucky to have survived 2 days and one night of the festival, and got away to Bangkok after those two days.  It was a lot

more peaceful in the city.

Geezer

On 4/18/2017 at 8:45 AM, onemorechang said:

Maybe they were all playing on Fake book or line

its all the rage now days  :jap:

Think he was lucky not to be arrested.

as he did the Wan%%r sign to a cop

what a nice chap.

thats why i booked my flight out of thailand on the 10th april not back until songkran is finished and im still taking home 19 year old girls ha ha somewhere else 

4 hours ago, hottrader77 said:

thats why i booked my flight out of thailand on the 10th april not back until songkran is finished and im still taking home 19 year old girls ha ha somewhere else 

I never escaped this year,

but will escape next month.  :smile:

21 hours ago, Gold Star said:

Sorry for your bad experience in the past. I did not feel that at all today, and although I saw only a few foreigners, I felt I was welcomed as a guest, never hated.  Not one negative instance today, just lots of good fun. Saw some police occasionally, but the crowd was exceptionally well behaved. It was a wonderful family event, with children, young, and old taking part. Just get out there and join in and have a good time!

Today's water festivities were in Naklua, and I rode my scooter this afternoon through the full length of it from the dolphin roundabout to the exit on Sukhumvit.  This is a time when you can really interact with all the people. Embrace it!

DSCN7374.JPG

DSCN7384.JPG

DSCN7388.JPG

DSCN7398.JPG

DSCN7408.JPG

DSCN7421.JPG

DSCN7427.JPG

Yeah, the camera in my phone works, too.

'Guess you pretty much missed the entire point of this topic.  But so long as YOU didn't get hurt or see anything except what you wanted to see, I guess that's all that matters...

Yeah!!!.........Looks like a quality tourist for sure :sad:

Every time I've EVER seen violence at Songkram it's been started by idiot drunken farang's. Mind you I have never been to Pattaya for it & this is the reason........ repeat, idiot farang's spoiling it. :angry:

2 minutes ago, Expat Brad said:

Yeah!!!.........Looks like a quality tourist for sure :sad:

Every time I've EVER seen violence at Songkram it's been started by idiot drunken farang's. Mind you I have never been to Pattaya for it & this is the reason........ repeat, idiot farang's spoiling it. :angry:

Puleeez : Its always the foreigners starting the trouble ??? So because  you have not seen any Thais starting  problems , then you think you have proved a negative.  

1 minute ago, morrobay said:

Puleeez : Its always the foreigners starting the trouble ??? So because  you have not seen any Thais starting  problems , then you think you have proved a negative.  

As I stated "I've never been to Songkram in Pattaya" I have lived in CM & Lamphun (7 years) & only ever seen farangs starting a problem. I'm not wearing blinkers I simply choose to revel somewhere that doesn't draw as much <deleted> Thai or Farang as other places seem to.

Wow! I'm a farang and I find it hard to believe that any foreigner that comes here and thinks that during this celebration the police will be readily available to help them when they are putting themselves in harms way. I suggest farangs wake up and realize where they actually are and also there are many places in the world including the western structured world that provide for inadequate police protection during celebrations. When I do attend functions I usually see stupid conduct by many Thai's and I usually visitors and local farangs doing equally stupid things so I don't really feel sorry for people who put themselves in harms way in a foreign country expecting the same protection they don't actually have in their own country. I believe Thailand operates under its own set of rules and is growing at the pace it can grow at now. I support the police every way I can including other local governments like the fire departments and other areas like schools and hospitals. I don't want anything in return and I can assure everyone on this forum that I have donated over a million bht to my community here and I have requested all of my farang friends to participate none of which have and that I have requested my Thai friends to do so and 4 of them have donated to my suggested causes such as police safety and they have to the sum of 100,000 bht. I guess I'm tired of certain people complaining about services here. If you live here than help your community to make it better!

On 4/18/2017 at 7:50 PM, Gold Star said:

DSCN7421.JPG

To me that picture summarizes just how far out of whack Songkran has gone.  A frickin' *firehose*???  What could possibly go wrong?

Thank goodness there are so many police around on friday and saturday evenings when random acts of violence happen all over the uk and elsewhere in the west.

The emergency rooms in the big hospitals are testimony to the fantastic police presence

Archived