Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

British man's sad farewell to Thai sweetheart killed at Songkran "foam party"


webfact

Recommended Posts

British man's sad farewell to Thai sweetheart killed at Songkran "foam party"

 

fi.jpg

Picture: Kapook

 

UDON THANI: -- A British man has gone on Facebook to say a sad farewell to his young wife who was tragically electrocuted at a foam party held last week in Ban Dung, Udon Thani.

 

Suphaporn Beddoes or "Tu", 25, was married to Michael Beddoes who changed his profile picture and expressed his deep regret:

 

"I miss her so much," he wrote. "Will be in my heart forever. RIP tilac".

 

The victim's mother Duangjai Saengchart said her daughter was planning to go to the UK after Songkran to be with her husband.

 

Kapook reported earlier that the family were unhappy that the organizers of the event where she died had offered the family just 20,000 baht in compensation.

 

Source: Kapook

 
tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-18
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very sad to hear of the untimely death of a young girl. If this was an organised event and the death was caused by negligence in leaving bare wires exposed, then 20,000 Baht is totally insufficient. No amount of money can replace a life, but at 25, the lady had many years of working life left in her. I hope they get sued and an appropriate award made, plus criminal charges if serious negligence can be shown.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is such a sad story.

If health and safety was/is an issue in this county, then possibly the death of such a young person may not have happened plus the deaths of countless others!

Life seems very cheap here.

R.I.P


Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Link to post
Share on other sites

so someone that thinks they know about electricity and health and safety set up this equipment and what happens 

 

RIP to this young lady in the prime of her life, another senseless loss of life  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pentap said:

That is such a sad story.

If health and safety was/is an issue in this county, then possibly the death of such a young person may not have happened plus the deaths of countless others!

Life seems very cheap here.

R.I.P


Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Safety comes far after profit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately this story is not uncommon in southern Asia.

 

People only think of how can they do something and not if it is safe.

 

From the guys that spread insecticide in their bare feet and no mouth covering to the road side shop that gets electricity by wrapping an extension cord around the hydro line.

 

There is little if any safety knowledge training of people.  

 

OH yeah my best one was a guy using his toes to hold the copper  so he could cut an intricate design with a coping saw.

 

Unfortunately it is easier and cheaper for businesses to pay if there is an oops than it is to do it the right way.  Remember the greatest resource these countries like Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and many ASEAN countries have is people.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to be careful when it's wet outside and look for traps everywhere, electrocution happens almost weekly in Thailand.   RIP.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thai electrics/electricians are dodgy at the best.

Mix with water and well, we know the rest.

Hope to organisers or whoever is responsible pays dearly. And not just a few thousand in hush money!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely tragic. I don't know the full circumstances behind this, but I hope that the organizers are made accountable. Another case of a very preventable "accident" that so sadly cut her life too short. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Every year several tourists die as aresult of poor elevtrical work, some times even at 5 star resorts, as was the case last year with some Russians and then again in BKK two teen boys. Shame on the people that build these resorts and organizers of such foam events. Stay away from such places 

Link to post
Share on other sites

THB 20.000 offered in compensation. What a joke!  The organiser should be punished hard for this. But of course this is Thailand and he will properly get of free. The offer of THB 20.000 already signals that. So sad.

 

RIP to the young girl. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheap pay off because big white buffalo is rich already and doesn't need more of their precious Thai money.

 

Of course, sensible guy will have a few million Euro from her life insurance (cost about £30/35 a month) or maybe not ?

 

Sad but entirely predictable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Surfactants do conduct electricity, even the 'non ionic' ones.

 

I don't know how the foam parties operate, but presumably there's some kind of air blower that got wet(?).

 

I guess most of us have had some kind of run-in with electricity in this country, even if just touching something metal and getting an uncomfortable buzz.

 

As for this real life event I have empathy for all those that knew her.  I've had a beautiful girl needlessly taken away also, and the fallout across many areas (not just self but Thai family) still ripples to this day, despite a happier outcome than the above.

 

Respect to all those that knew her, and hope those in positions responsible for events like this get some training on how to safely handle electricity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pentap said:

That is such a sad story.

If health and safety was/is an issue in this county, then possibly the death of such a young person may not have happened plus the deaths of countless others!

Life seems very cheap here.

R.I.P


Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

It they brought health and safety up to snuff the treasury would be empty. Forget other issues. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Shiver said:

Surfactants do conduct electricity, even the 'non ionic' ones.

 

I don't know how the foam parties operate, but presumably there's some kind of air blower that got wet(?).

 

I guess most of us have had some kind of run-in with electricity in this country, even if just touching something metal and getting an uncomfortable buzz.

 

As for this real life event I have empathy for all those that knew her.  I've had a beautiful girl needlessly taken away also, and the fallout across many areas (not just self but Thai family) still ripples to this day, despite a happier outcome than the above.

 

Respect to all those that knew her, and hope those in positions responsible for events like this get some training on how to safely handle electricity.

'... hope those in positions responsible for events like this get some training on how to safely handle electricity.' They don't get training in safely handling anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Having led a very sheltered life, could anyone tell me what on earth is a "Foam Party" ? One must know what something is in order to avoid one !

I'm with you what is a foam party?? I have foamed at the mouth a few times. These parties should never take place unless a safety bond is issued. As my old granny said the old must die but the young can die. So many young of late dying needlessly. I hope its not a trend. RIP young lady so tragic and the really sad part is the culprit will more than likely walk and throw another "foam" party. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

the shop i rent in pattaya seems to be live. its walls are mostly aluminium windows. if i touch the sliding door with wet hands i get a boot. even the CCTV system has problems. i got a boot adjusting one of the cameras. a canadian guy i know measured the voltage on the cameras plug in 12v transformer and it is pumping out 120v. it is the camera outside the shop so should give someone a nasty surprise if someone tries to mess with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is a cautionary tale, showing the disconnect between the guys who love the fact they can build whatever they want, any way they want- permits and inspections be damned, and the heartbreak of losing a loved one to that very "perk" of living in a corrupt society where that's so common.

 

Words fail me to express my condolences.  I can't imagine such a loss.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...