British man's sad farewell to Thai sweetheart killed at Songkran "foam party"

webfact

17 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

the shop i rent in pattaya seems to be live. its walls are mostly aluminium windows. if i touch the sliding door with wet hands i get a boot. even the CCTV system has problems. i got a boot adjusting one of the cameras. a canadian guy i know measured the voltage on the cameras plug in 12v transformer and it is pumping out 120v. it is the camera outside the shop so should give someone a nasty surprise if someone tries to mess with it.

I have had the same problems with places i have rented also. You need to get an electrician to fix it or people will get hurt. Sometimes it took several visits by him to finally find the problem. First advise is get all outlets wired for a ground wire with a two meter ground rod. One shop he had to drill through 30 centimes of concrete to get it to earth.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever since I had to explain to an "electrician" here what the funny green and yellow wire was on an oven he was installing for us, and draw a wiring diagram for him, I have had no confidence at all in Thai wiring. Coupled with the daily fails I encounter in part of my work inspecting electrical installations for communications equipment, I despair. I asked a supervisor once to demonstrate to his staff some procedures for checking a fusebox, knocked himself straight across the room as he tried to do it without turning the power off. Made me laugh (after he was OK) and I said "So that's not what to do, how about showing us the right way?"

Attention citizens. Thailand is a third world country.  Did you not know this?  Why are you complaining that their electrical codes are not up to first world standards?  This is a tragic story but I am just amazed that anyone is surprised or disappointed this kind of thing happens.  I've seen workers working on construction in bare feet, standing on the top step of ladders with no buddy, doing all sorts of crazy stuff and I'm sure there are deaths that happen.  You'd have to be blind to think people are not going to get electrocuted at foam parties.  I'm with the gentleman that commented how hard it must be for her family and lover... crushing.  

Sad story. I was just in Udon Thani where i just had to take some photo of something crazy. This is on one of the small bridges( correct name?) going over the street close to us town. I didn't dare to touch the bar....

20170414_132151.jpg

20170414_132058.jpg

Most occurrences like this including their  driving can be explained thus: They are badly educated/ trained, they selfishly don't care about their deficiencies or the consequences to others and there is no incentive to improve by virtue of a lack of severe penalties . It's a damning cultural trait which I despise.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Kapook reported earlier that the family were unhappy that the organizers of the event where she died had offered the family just 20,000 baht in compensation.

How about forgetting compensation and fighting to get them prosecuted for negligence causing death.

Oh right... Thais.

9 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Attention citizens. Thailand is a third world country.  Did you not know this?  Why are you complaining that their electrical codes are not up to first world standards?  This is a tragic story but I am just amazed that anyone is surprised or disappointed this kind of thing happens.  I've seen workers working on construction in bare feet, standing on the top step of ladders with no buddy, doing all sorts of crazy stuff and I'm sure there are deaths that happen.  You'd have to be blind to think people are not going to get electrocuted at foam parties.  I'm with the gentleman that commented how hard it must be for her family and lover... crushing.  

What has being a Third World country to do with training someone properly to do a job? I don't see the connect. The reason these preventable accidents occur is because people simply are too lazy to do the job right, even if they know how. In Thailand it is anyway will do as long as it works. Works today anyway, until it kills or injures someone, then you can get a wai and half an average months wage as compensation. Solly suuur.

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

What has being a Third World country to do with training someone properly to do a job? I don't see the connect. The reason these preventable accidents occur is because people simply are too lazy to do the job right, even if they know how. In Thailand it is anyway will do as long as it works. Works today anyway, until it kills or injures someone, then you can get a wai and half an average months wage as compensation. Solly suuur.

Do I really have to explain?  Sigh.  Education and training are not high on the priorities of third world countries, that is part of the reason why they are third world.  It is also a result of it, as those with training and education generally do not find good jobs in third world countries.  It's a vicious circle.  And in Thailand, where the government seemingly actively works to prevent foreigners from coming in to train their workers to do a better job, it's not going to improve any time soon I'd guess.  

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Having led a very sheltered life, could anyone tell me what on earth is a "Foam Party" ? One must know what something is in order to avoid one !

They are awesome fun!   

https://www.google.com/search?q=foam+party&newwindow=1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiA0ZLI763TAhUDwbwKHaDhDFUQ7AkIQQ&biw=1920&bih=963

the shop i rent in pattaya seems to be live. its walls are mostly aluminium windows. if i touch the sliding door with wet hands i get a boot. even the CCTV system has problems. i got a boot adjusting one of the cameras. a canadian guy i know measured the voltage on the cameras plug in 12v transformer and it is pumping out 120v. it is the camera outside the shop so should give someone a nasty surprise if someone tries to mess with it.

Sounds like they got the Polarity + and - switched. Also no earth on anything. So typical in Thailand

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It they brought health and safety up to snuff the treasury would be empty. Forget other issues. 

Plenty of money for this worthy cause if they stop squandering it on stupidity, like submarines. Or stealing it for personal gain while in power. Sad, because the Thai people deserve better.

Very sad, too young to be taken now, condolences to Michael for his loss.

The first thing I learnt living in Thailand was Thailand people have no common  sense. Whatever you do or wherever you go always expect the worse.

Convert everything to 12 volts. They are not ready to handle anything greater than that.

Even North America with it's 110V standard still has issues.  220V supply in this third world country is suicide.  

There is no concern, no training, no standards, no inspection, and above all no accountability.

Ask yourself, how many times have YOU nearly lost your life here already due to faulty electrical?

I was nearly beheaded last month on my motorbike on the highway by a power cable strung across the 4 lanes slicing my helmet cam off. Glad you are not reading about my headless corpse.

We all have electrical horror stories here. Some end like this. Sad...

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Very sad to hear of the untimely death of a young girl. If this was an organised event and the death was caused by negligence in leaving bare wires exposed, then 20,000 Baht is totally insufficient. No amount of money can replace a life, but at 25, the lady had many years of working life left in her. I hope they get sued and an appropriate award made, plus criminal charges if serious negligence can be shown.

It won't happen.

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

keep away from those foam parties .....  it's great to go out every night and drink but there are many things you should avoid ...

Buddha bless her ....

"Buddha bless her....?" Bit late now mate! Where was your little god 2 seconds BEFORE she was killed?

Health and safety is so lacking in many facets of Thai society it's just ridiculous. Thais are a proud patriotic one eyed nation that sadly blind/prohibits outside influence or ability to listen and learn to others. Low standards of education is widespread and ability for a Thai to think and takle problem solving issues is more or less non existent. The fact this young lady was electrocuted to death was most likely the cause of  incompetence and typically a low education. I wouldn't be suprised if the 'electrician' involved in this sad saga was a ring in cowboy, but then again it would not shock me if he has a full Thai electrical license  - that's if they actually exist.

Last night the news said one theory of the electrocution was the spotlight had been on since midday, leading to overheating by late night. Consequently the live wire came loose and touched the metal scaffolding supporting the spotlight. It was this scaffolding the girl placed her hand on to lean against and electrocuted her.

Archived