British man's sad farewell to Thai sweetheart killed at Songkran "foam party"

webfact

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Most occurrences like this including their  driving can be explained thus: They are badly educated/ trained, they selfishly don't care about their deficiencies or the consequences to others and there is no incentive to improve by virtue of a lack of severe penalties . It's a damning cultural trait which I despise.

Totally agree. When someone who knows tell them what to do they dont' like it, (lose face?).

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What has being a Third World country to do with training someone properly to do a job? I don't see the connect. The reason these preventable accidents occur is because people simply are too lazy to do the job right, even if they know how. In Thailand it is anyway will do as long as it works. Works today anyway, until it kills or injures someone, then you can get a wai and half an average months wage as compensation. Solly suuur.

Quite agree with you. Low wages one reason, they say "pay peanuts you get monkey services"

10 minutes ago, nobU eoJ said:

he wrote. "Will be in my heart forever. RIP tilac".

The tilak (Sanskrit tilaka, "mark") is a mark worn on the forehead and other parts of the body for spiritual reasons.

what is he mean?

he means ที่รัก- tee rak which means my darling/dearest/beloved

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Very sad to hear of the untimely death of a young girl. If this was an organised event and the death was caused by negligence in leaving bare wires exposed, then 20,000 Baht is totally insufficient. No amount of money can replace a life, but at 25, the lady had many years of working life left in her. I hope they get sued and an appropriate award made, plus criminal charges if serious negligence can be shown.

I too wish recompense would be made but unfortunately  T I T I feel so sorry for this guy and the lady's family,but i am disgusted at that payoff,I would be doing some serious hard banging on someones door.RIP young lady

a tragic incident ,like many,that could be avoided   so easily   if.yes if the population here (their choosen government ) would use nitnoi brain to handle their electrical wiring like in every other civilised place...i see it all the time..electrical wiring exposed to the open hanging from trees in walking high etc....result : your daily electrolutions rip

7 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Unfortunately this story is not uncommon in southern Asia.

People only think of how can they do something and not if it is safe.

From the guys that spread insecticide in their bare feet and no mouth covering to the road side shop that gets electricity by wrapping an extension cord around the hydro line.

There is little if any safety knowledge training of people.  

OH yeah my best one was a guy using his toes to hold the copper  so he could cut an intricate design with a coping saw.

Unfortunately it is easier and cheaper for businesses to pay if there is an oops than it is to do it the right way.  Remember the greatest resource these countries like Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and many ASEAN countries have is people.

All very valid points and i agree. But if everything were to be like 'back home', then these countries will become expensive like Singapore Japan Korea because development comes at a cost. I think a lot of the whiners on TV are here because they cannot afford it back home. You cant have it both ways.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

This thread is a cautionary tale, showing the disconnect between the guys who love the fact they can build whatever they want, any way they want- permits and inspections be damned, and the heartbreak of losing a loved one to that very "perk" of living in a corrupt society where that's so common.

Words fail me to express my condolences.  I can't imagine such a loss.

The sad reality is that in this country, it may very well have been properly permitted and inspected. When I say 'properly', I mean legally on the up and up. But that doesn't mean that those who approve permits nor inspectors are any more competent than the designers/architects and electricians! The owner of the joint could have done everything he knows to do properly, but served by inept idiots who sell their services well. But of course there are more than plenty of what you mentioned around, no doubt! Just can't be so sure about this specific place....

5 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

the shop i rent in pattaya seems to be live. its walls are mostly aluminium windows. if i touch the sliding door with wet hands i get a boot. even the CCTV system has problems. i got a boot adjusting one of the cameras. a canadian guy i know measured the voltage on the cameras plug in 12v transformer and it is pumping out 120v. it is the camera outside the shop so should give someone a nasty surprise if someone tries to mess with it.

A double down on your security system. 

3 hours ago, jerojero said:

Plenty of money for this worthy cause if they stop squandering it on stupidity, like submarines. Or stealing it for personal gain while in power. Sad, because the Thai people deserve better.

People are left wanting all over the world. Yes we deserve better but we only get what we vote for but then the selection sucks so the treadmill of life continues take a deep breath. 

5 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

the shop i rent in pattaya seems to be live. its walls are mostly aluminium windows. if i touch the sliding door with wet hands i get a boot. even the CCTV system has problems. i got a boot adjusting one of the cameras. a canadian guy i know measured the voltage on the cameras plug in 12v transformer and it is pumping out 120v. it is the camera outside the shop so should give someone a nasty surprise if someone tries to mess with it.

You will be next if not careful. I hope u get the problem sorted asap. Either u or some innocent customer might get frazzled. "Safety is only as good as what we are prepared to walk past and not rectify"

RIP to the young lady!

19 minutes ago, saakura said:

All very valid points and i agree. But if everything were to be like 'back home', then these countries will become expensive like Singapore Japan Korea because development comes at a cost. I think a lot of the whiners on TV are here because they cannot afford it back home. You cant have it both ways.

We are not in Kansas.

Or  Doncaster, Hull or Birmingham (all UK) thank God.

Sorry to be such an ignoramus, but what is a foam party? Communal soaking in a giant bath tub all foamed up? I saw many wall posters advertising a similar 'Foam Party' by 'Narz Bangkok' all over Sukhumvit during Songkran. Or do you get sprayed with foam lather delivered through hose pipes?

5 minutes ago, saakura said:

Sorry to be such an ignoramus, but what is a foam party? Communal soaking in a giant bath tub all foamed up? I saw many wall posters advertising a similar 'Foam Party' by 'Narz Bangkok' all over Sukhumvit during Songkran. Or do you get sprayed with foam lather delivered through hose pipes?

See post #43 or #50 

Such a  tragety. Rip.  

Perhaps we can all here donate and encourage a well financed lawsuit?   A massive payout can be cause for positive change.   Can we help force change or just complain?   I'm in for a 50$ donation. 

Second tragic case of death through electrocution this Songkran.

School friend of the g/f was electrocuted back in her old village after water came into contact with the music system.

She recently married a Canadian who only returned home 3 weeks ago.

9 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Having led a very sheltered life, could anyone tell me what on earth is a "Foam Party" ? One must know what something is in order to avoid one !

I guarantee you wint be getting an invite to one. 

Bingo nights on buakhao are every night tho. 

RIP to the young lady and condolences to family and loved ones. I won't harp on about the state of affairs here re: the circumstances of her death. Sadly a nearly daily occurence in terms of general safety in Thailand. 

Suffice to say 20,000 THB compensation is an astounding insult. 

The organizers should face charges of criminal negligence causing death. But it will never happen. 

Money #1. Sad. 

PEA electrician wired  my  house when built, I immediately ripped it  all out and did it  myself properly.

Used  all the wrong  colours many live wires were GREEN..before after photos

I  like the old red black green UK standard now  Brown Blue  green

P1090292-web.jpg

3.jpg

10 hours ago, sead said:

Sad story. I was just in Udon Thani where i just had to take some photo of something crazy. This is on one of the small bridges( correct name?) going over the street close to us town. I didn't dare to touch the bar....

20170414_132151.jpg

20170414_132058.jpg

That's not a problem...

As long as the insulation stays on those wires. ?

12 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Yep. Foam, water, electricity. Only in LoS do they think they mix.

Well not really they hold foam parties all over the planet. Bit passe now but they were really popular.

12 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Having led a very sheltered life, could anyone tell me what on earth is a "Foam Party" ? One must know what something is in order to avoid one !

Bit passe now but they used to be huge. Ideally small space, hot girls, dance music, fill with foam, remove as much clothing as you deem appropriate. Google foam party ibiza for further instruction :)  

6 hours ago, saakura said:

As above google foam party Ibiza youll get the drift...

9 hours ago, Essaybloke said:

"Buddha bless her....?" Bit late now mate! Where was your little god 2 seconds BEFORE she was killed?

no .... I mean he will bless her in her new life.  Maybe she can come back as a Thai electrician ... so she can help others.

15 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

Scary, have this checked out immediately by a good electrican, there are some about. You should as an interim solution drive some earth rods into the ground and bond incoming water pipe (metal part) and all metal covered appliances, door frames, cctv's, micro waves etc to the earth rods.

5 hours ago, starky said:

Bit passe now but they used to be huge. Ideally small space, hot girls, dance music, fill with foam, remove as much clothing as you deem appropriate. Google foam party ibiza for further instruction :)  

Archived