British man's sad farewell to Thai sweetheart killed at Songkran "foam party"

webfact

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What has being a Third World country to do with training someone properly to do a job? I don't see the connect. The reason these preventable accidents occur is because people simply are too lazy to do the job right, even if they know how. In Thailand it is anyway will do as long as it works. Works today anyway, until it kills or injures someone, then you can get a wai and half an average months wage as compensation. Solly suuur.

conclude...u create ur own mess...it also has to do in which structure economical educational social u live to bring the best out of u....government once again is asked to establish rules and standards  education raise awareness strict checks and highfines if rules are not applied...they could do it in other fields do how about the obvious...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, nobU eoJ said:

he wrote. "Will be in my heart forever. RIP tilac".

The tilak (Sanskrit tilaka, "mark") is a mark worn on the forehead and other parts of the body for spiritual reasons.

what is he mean?

"Tilac" is an extremely common Thai language term of endearment, equivalent to "Darling or Sweet-heart".  Not to be confused with "Dark Ling" which bar-girls will call you at times.  That means "monkey's posterior"  The other genuine common Thai endearment is "Ja", usually used in conjunction with the loved-one's name, e.g "William Ja".

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

no .... I mean he will bless her in her new life.  Maybe she can come back as a Thai electrician ... so she can help others.

Well, I guess so.

IF that's the way the universe works it's better than her coming back to kill the negligent guy. Do we even know how the mishap occurred and if anyone was directly responsible?

On 4/18/2017 at 9:00 AM, darksidedog said:

Very sad to hear of the untimely death of a young girl. If this was an organised event and the death was caused by negligence in leaving bare wires exposed, then 20,000 Baht is totally insufficient. No amount of money can replace a life, but at 25, the lady had many years of working life left in her. I hope they get sued and an appropriate award made, plus criminal charges if serious negligence can be shown.

it is very sad what happened all our hearts go out to her family and husband to be , and the organisers should be prosecuted but to talk of compensatiotion on at a time like this is unacceptable for me as it cheapens the memory of the girl and its a sad reflection on thai society that talk of money is involved at this time RIP beautiful girl 

If the house had a proper Electriciy Earth system, this would have never happened in the first place.
And the company who installed the whole system should have used a Safe-E-Cut.
But then, This Is Thailand.
A Safe-T-Cut is more expensive that 20,000 Baht offered to the girls family.
RIP young girl

21 hours ago, balo said:

You need to be careful when it's wet outside and look for traps everywhere, electrocution happens almost weekly in Thailand.   RIP.

...they all make out they care, but when it comes to accountability they melt into the background...on it goes..nothing ever resolved.

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

no .... I mean he will bless her in her new life.  Maybe she can come back as a Thai electrician ... so she can help others.

begs the question why he didnt bless her for this  life!

To Englishinsiam!

The pain NEVER goes away!

I was 20 years old when my MAN passed, he was 34 and our son 7 month.

I am 64 now but he is allways on my mind! I have never remarried.

It is a part of life you just have to accept! 

R.I.P condolences to hers and his families and friends!

21 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

the shop i rent in pattaya seems to be live. its walls are mostly aluminium windows. if i touch the sliding door with wet hands i get a boot. even the CCTV system has problems. i got a boot adjusting one of the cameras. a canadian guy i know measured the voltage on the cameras plug in 12v transformer and it is pumping out 120v. it is the camera outside the shop so should give someone a nasty surprise if someone tries to mess with it.

If you're the renter don't you feel some compulsion to cover your arse by at least informing the landlord - in writing, for your own legal protection - and getting a professional electrician to inspect the current arrangements and make the place safer for visitors/clients as well as your staff and yourself?

45 minutes ago, sandemara said:

If you're the renter don't you feel some compulsion to cover your arse by at least informing the landlord - in writing, for your own legal protection - and getting a professional electrician to inspect the current arrangements and make the place safer for visitors/clients as well as your staff and yourself?

thai style the owner will not do any repairs to the shop. he kicked the last tenant out because he was asked to fix the roof

11 hours ago, kannot said:

PEA electrician wired  my  house when built, I immediately ripped it  all out and did it  myself properly.

Used  all the wrong  colours many live wires were GREEN..before after photos

I  like the old red black green UK standard now  Brown Blue  green

P1090292-web.jpg

3.jpg

seems a waste to throw away all that green wire that does not get used in thailand. friends condo in pratumnak is wired with all the wrong colours. they are plastered in so no way to change them without a hell of a mess.

48 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

thai style the owner will not do any repairs to the shop. he kicked the last tenant out because he was asked to fix the roof

Then just pay for the necessary fixes yourself.   

A friend in rented shop just disconnected all the electrics and installed fresh himself.  Much easier than trying to work out what has happened with previous bodges.  Just moved to a new rental and he couldn't get insurance because of the electrics, so did the whole job again himself.

On 2017-04-18 at 1:57 PM, hansnl said:

Safety comes far after profit.

Yes Thailand...life is cheap...reincarnation... the death is sad but one has to realize the positive if possible... the loss is not a loss... our feelings do come into a sad state...yes the out come should be preventative in future..some events must occur for this to come to state...sorry for loss but she is in Gods hands and will return to you... never will God in your belief will make you sad...

On 4/18/2017 at 4:14 PM, khunpa said:

THB 20.000 offered in compensation. What a joke!  The organiser should be punished hard for this. But of course this is Thailand and he will properly get of free. The offer of THB 20.000 already signals that. So sad.

RIP to the young girl. 

The mere fact that they offered the pittance of 20k is an admission of guilt. That in and of itself should be taken into evidence, then add 3-4 more zeros to the end and see to it someone actually spends several years in jail for manslaughter and maybe, just maybe, do you come close to any justice, but then again that would only work in a country with a sense of morality and justice, and even then I'm sure her husband would much rather have his wife back. So sad on all counts.

I saw a foam party in action last year in the carpark of the Twin Lotus in Nakhon Si Thammarat. Extension leads run along the ground laying in water, just taped up,  hundreds of people everywhere soaking wet, metal barriers to keep the foam in.

Didnt let my kid go in and he was quiet upset that everyone else did but not him. Tried to explain but no reason was acceptable.

The problem right accross Thailand is that no one can assess any situation and see what possible repercussions may occur. They therefore cant take measures to prevent what they cant see possible. There is just zero critical thinking ability, learning from past mistakes or planning.

Every day is groundhog day in Thai society

• 2 weeks later...

There is no such thing as a qualified Electrician in Thailand. I teach at a large government university. Students get get degrees in Electrical Engineering. Most of our graduates go to work at PEA as Electricians maybe 25%. The rest go to the private sector and work without supervision or further testing. As you know, it's very difficult to fail a university student in Thailand. If you pay tuition and go to class you'll probably graduate. So the majority, if they didn't pay attention, will be performing substandard electrical work. One Electrician working on my new house electrocuted himself. I gave his wife a job as our maid. Be careful who you hire and check his work.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Phuket one time on the beach road just sitting on that stone/concrete wall and had the urge to lean back on my hand and woops I saw an electrical outlet under water from the rain right where my hand we going to land.  I didn't touch that.  A week later I saw a news article of a young lad there on holiday who got electrocuted in what was described as similar circumstances.  I wonder to this day if anyone in Phuket fixed the problem or just said...Oh well! Sabai...Sabai.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a professional engineer working in Thailand. We have six companies.

1) There is no formalised test, inspection, certification system

2) Electricians do not need to be certified

3) Engineers are often utterly incompetent 

4) Far too frequently I issue an engineer's report following an electrocution of a farang

5) In 100% of the cases the root cause is listed as accident ( it should be criminal negligence)

6) The Thais do have a reasonable code - The Thai EIT code 2013. Available from Chulalongkorn University bookshop for the princely sum of 300 THB

7) Far too many appliances sold which do not comply with TIS. Insane!

Anyone with any concern can PM me for free advice!

I am a professional engineer working in Thailand. We have six companies.

1) There is no formalised test, inspection, certification system

2) Electricians do not need to be certified

3) Engineers are often utterly incompetent 

4) Far too frequently I issue an engineer's report following an electrocution of a farang

5) In 100% of the cases the root cause is listed as accident ( it should be criminal negligence)

6) The Thais do have a reasonable code - The Thai EIT code 2013. Available from Chulalongkorn University bookshop for the princely sum of 300 THB

7) Far too many appliances sold which do not comply with TIS. Insane!

Anyone with any concern can PM me for free advice!

Well said. Once i made a diagram but the "electrician" couldn't read it keep the sheet upside down didn't understand one yota.

On 4/18/2017 at 10:11 AM, pentap said:

That is such a sad story.

If health and safety was/is an issue in this county, then possibly the death of such a young person may not have happened plus the deaths of countless others!

Life seems very cheap here.

R.I.P

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

A sad story, indeed.

Health and safety regulations will always be second to profit maximalisation.

Anywhere in the wide world.

Archived