Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Survey results: Expats say no to Songkran!


webfact

Recommended Posts

Survey results: Expats say no to Songkran!

 

SO.jpg

Picture: File photo

 

The results are out for the Thaivisa survey about what people do at Songkran.

 

And the figures are clear at least for the middle aged group of respondents - we hide at home or get the hell out of Dodge!

 

Asked what people do at Songkran almost ten percent said they decided to leave the country altogether. While 71 percent of respondents indicated they would stay home or not venture out.

 

Less than 20 percent of respondents said they played Songkran.

 

However, it should be noted that 75% of the people who replied to the survey were aged 51 and over compared to just 4% under 30 years of age.

 

The nationalities that responded the most were British, 30%, US, 25%, Australian 15% and German 3%. All the remaining were of other nationalities.

 

Asked where they live 20% said Bangkok, 20% Pattaya, 8% Hua Hin, and 7% Phuket. The rest lived elsewhere in the kingdom.

 

Forum comments on the subject mostly backed up the survey's findings.

 

Darksidedog said: "I leave the country for ten days. And before anyone asks, yes, I am a miserable old git!"

 

While Phuket Man was a stay-at-home-boy commenting: "I stay indoors for a week wearing noise reduction headphones".

 

Some 162 people have filled in the survey so far.

 
tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-18

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can be fun earlier in the afternoons when the kids are out and spray the people outside their houses.

The thing i hate about it are the lairy drunks who knowingly take it too far by throwing (often icy) water in the faces of motorcyclists or other drivers (basically ignoring how pissed off they'd be if it happened to them).

I think a zoning system is needed where some semblence of order can be achieved without spoiling anyone's fun.

 

Also alcohol makes it much worse imho

Link to post
Share on other sites

Headline should read "Old Farts say NO to Songkran"

 

Went over to Silom this weekend to watch the fun from above and it looked like a pretty even split between Thais and foreigners manning their super squirts.  But skewed heavily toward us old farts up on top in the skywalk peanut gallery.  Stayed 5 minutes, then ducked back into the MRT to go to dinner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, webfact said:

 

However, it should be noted that 75% of the people who replied to the survey were aged 51 and over compared to just 4% under 30 years of age.

Hmm, I have never given my age or date of birth on my profile or on any survey

 

How is this stat worked out for all responders?

 

Can't  recall now, but do we give D.O.B. when we sign up?

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the local massage shops was closed for two days for the holiday, so I invited all the girls over to my house. They made a huge amount of food and were really happy to not have to sleep in the shop where they don't run the air conditioning at night. We did all venture out to look around but they really just wanted to stay in the pool.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did go up to the local bar,to watch the procession and because my Mrs was up there,Police did a good job directing traffic at what is a busy crossroads,i did get interesting at one stage when to young ladies got very amarous with each other,one lying on top of the other pumping away,then attemping to remove the other girls shorts,however the Police where unfortunately quickly on the scene,and after a telling off send them on their way,luckily no parties in my soi. What i did find annoying that the Post office was closed yesterday.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a healthy 64 and have loved "playing" Songkran For many years.  I love anything to do with water.  This year I got hurt by Getting hit squarely in the face with a 3 gallon bucket of water while I was standing on the back of a bhat bus Stuck in traffic.

 

I took a day off but have been back out in the celebration yesterday and will be out later today and tomorrow. But I got a little bit of insight into the danger that may be encountered during the celebration. Glad I didn't get knocked out cold and fall off the back of the bus and split my head open.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, survivalblue said:

Maybe retitle the article "Intelligent Expats Reduce Risk of Injury or Death by Staying Indoors for Songkran"

No start your own thread... :intheclub:

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, survivalblue said:

Maybe retitle the article "Intelligent Expats Reduce Risk of Injury or Death by Staying Indoors for Songkran"

" or Grumpy Old Men do what Grumpy Old Men do" :)

 

Went out for 3 days with wife and Daughter, was good fun daily for a few hours.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Allow me to clarify my comment that I am a miserable old git. On the whole I do like a bit of fun, but Songkran in Pattaya is a pain in the arse. I have no problem getting involved on the main day. It is the getting soaked for about 10 days before it when trying to go about my daily business that pisses me off.

I have had a lap top utterly ruined and countless legal documents destroyed by people throwing water a week early.

So, I have made a habit of leaving town and having some miserable old git style fun somewhere else. And I will be doing the same next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My most memorable event was sat inside my local in the evenings watching pick ups going by blasting music, precariously overloaded with drunk/stoned, young Thai guys throwing water around at nobody really (it was already dark).  Once I yelled out toward them, "YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!" and raised my arm in cheering salute, Woo Hooo!  They thought that was great, so they cheered back loudly and as they went to toss a bucket of sewage laced water in my general direction, their nose-ring wearing douche bag driver hit the gas, causing most of them to lurch backward and fall like dominoes, luckily blocked from spilling out onto the road by the double row of open mouth breathers sat on the open tailgate, legs dangling out the back.  Roughly 10 minutes later, a white government hospital ambulance van went by, lights and sirens blaring, headed down to the market/Songkran HQ area where folks were busy sucking more funky water out of the lake to throw into people's mouths and eyes.   

 

I thought of that truck load of revelers.  Songkran certainly helps cull the herd a bit every year.   Monks must rub their hands together in anticipation as they stoke the fire under the big pizza oven for the influx of business.

:intheclub:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

"I have had a lap top utterly ruined and countless legal documents destroyed by people throwing water a week early."    Smooth move... :intheclub:

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

My most memorable event was sat inside my local in the evenings watching pick ups going by blasting music, precariously overloaded with drunk/stoned, young Thai guys throwing water around at nobody really (it was already dark).  Once I yelled out toward them, "YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!" and raised my arm in cheering salute, Woo Hooo!  They thought that was great, so they cheered back loudly and as they went to toss a bucket of sewage laced water in my general direction, their nose-ring wearing douche bag driver hit the gas, causing most of them to lurch backward and fall like dominoes, luckily blocked from spilling out onto the road by the double row of open mouth breathers sat on the open tailgate, legs dangling out the back.  Roughly 10 minutes later, a white government hospital ambulance van went by, lights and sirens blaring, headed down to the market/Songkran HQ area where folks were busy sucking more funky water out of the lake to throw into people's mouths and eyes.   

 

I thought of that truck load of revelers.  Songkran certainly helps cull the herd a bit every year.   Monks must rub their hands together in anticipation as they stoke the fire under the big pizza oven for the influx of business.

:intheclub:

 

Nothing like wishing harm on other people.  Way to go!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Nothing like wishing harm on other people.  Way to go!!!

LOL, the old guilt trip, eh?   As if I had any influence over what I saw happen.....   I wasn't wishing harm onto anyone, just stating an obvious, statistical probability borne out by, oh I don't know, decades of examples maybe?   The Monks seem "get it".  

 

Sorry to hear you got dinged up the other day (your quote below).  Me, I stay a respectable distance out of the firing line, more so once the booze and beer has been flowing for hours.  When I see them fall and bust their ass, or bend over in pain after being hit in the face with a chuck of ice, or get an eye full of powder,  I turn to my mate and say, "Golly gee, didn't see that one coming, eh?"   Yep, Fun FUn FUN!   Duhhhhh! :laugh:

 

56 minutes ago, joeyg said:

This year I got hurt by Getting hit squarely in the face with a 3 gallon bucket of water while I was standing on the back of a bhat bus Stuck in traffic.

 

I took a day off but have been back out in the celebration yesterday and will be out later today and tomorrow. But I got a little bit of insight into the danger that may be encountered during the celebration. Glad I didn't get knocked out cold and fall off the back of the bus and split my head open.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 55Jay said:

LOL, the old guilt trip, eh?   As if I had any influence over what I saw happen.....   I wasn't wishing harm onto anyone, just stating an obvious, statistical probability borne out by, oh I don't know, decades of examples maybe?   The Monks seem "get it".  

 

Sorry to hear you got dinged up the other day (you quote below).  Me, I stay a respectable distance out of the firing line, more so once the booze and beer has been flowing for hours.  When I see them fall and bust their ass, or bend over in pain after being hit in the face with a chuck of ice, or get an eye full of power,  I turn to my mate and say, "Golly gee, didn't see that one coming, eh?"   Yep, Fun FUn FUN!   Duhhhhh! :laugh:

 

 

Sure.  Whatever you say.  You sound like a very nice person.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent the first 3 days of Songkran (13/14/15) in Pattaya, where I was lucky enough to get about without getting wet  :shock1:      Returned to Bangkok Sunday morning in record time (very light traffic), as there is no way I would want to be in Pattaya for the 18th or 19th.  Just sheer madness.

 

When I first came to Thailand over 15 years ago, I used to participate in Songkran.  I would go to Sanam Luang and have a great time.   Then about 5 years or so ago, I got hit with some foul water and ended up very sick for about 2 weeks.  That was when I said enough is enough.  Now I either leave, or batten down the hatches, raise the drawbridge and hole up for 3 days.  My health is more important than Songkran.

 

Songkran has also changed a lot since those early days.  Back then it was more sedate and a lot more fun.  Now it just seems like it is a nationwide full-moon party on steroids.  It has gotten totally out of control, and unfortunately, there are just too many people, both Thai and foreigners, who relish pushing the limits to see how far they can go and how nasty and miserable they can make it for others.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Sure.  Whatever you say.  You sound like a very nice person.

I am.  You are deflecting from the painfully obvious. 

 

Seriously though, enjoy yourself out there! 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WhizBang said:

I spent the first 3 days of Songkran (13/14/15) in Pattaya, where I was lucky enough to get about without getting wet  :shock1:      Returned to Bangkok Sunday morning in record time (very light traffic), as there is no way I would want to be in Pattaya for the 18th or 19th.  Just sheer madness.

 

When I first came to Thailand over 15 years ago, I used to participate in Songkran.  I would go to Sanam Luang and have a great time.   Then about 5 years or so ago, I got hit with some foul water and ended up very sick for about 2 weeks.  That was when I said enough is enough.  Now I either leave, or batten down the hatches, raise the drawbridge and hole up for 3 days.  My health is more important than Songkran.

 

Songkran has also changed a lot since those early days.  Back then it was more sedate and a lot more fun.  Now it just seems like it is a nationwide full-moon party on steroids.  It has gotten totally out of control, and unfortunately, there are just too many people, both Thai and foreigners, who relish pushing the limits to see how far they can go and how nasty and miserable they can make it for others.

 

 

Yep.  It's true.  I'll be 65 soon.  Fortunately strong and healthy.  I wondered though, will I be "out" in the celebration next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most expats are grumpy old men who also get upset with  children playing outside thier homes.  The have lived their lives, had fun and now want to turn off the lights and send every one home.  Selfish old codgers 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thechook said:

I think most expats are grumpy old men who also get upset with  children playing outside thier homes.  The have lived their lives, had fun and now want to turn off the lights and send every one home.  Selfish old codgers 

Yep.  The "lions share" like that I think. I was on a bhat bus yesterday coming up second road myself and one of these old codgers were the only two passengers. The water started pouring in and this guy became furious. I was just laughing sitting there with no shirt on my bathing suit. I asked the guy what did you think was going to happen out here today. He seem like he wanted to attack me. But I just kept laughing at him in the water kept flying. Make sure wonder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joeyg said:

But I got a little bit of insight into the danger that may be encountered during the celebration. Glad I didn't get knocked out cold and fall off the back of the bus and split my head open.

 

Don't worry!  There's always next year. You'll have another chance then... :smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

One of the local massage shops was closed for two days for the holiday, so I invited all the girls over to my house. They made a huge amount of food and were really happy to not have to sleep in the shop where they don't run the air conditioning at night. We did all venture out to look around but they really just wanted to stay in the pool.

Was it a busman's holiday? if so that must have been some pool party

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 

Don't worry!  There's always next year. You'll have another chance then... :smile:

Nice.  Eat more meat.  It's good for you.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thais love Songkran but generally limit it to 1 or 2 days in whatever area they live in.
The problem is in places like Pattaya where the place becomes a water war zone for 9-10 days. If you notice, for most of that time only bar staff and expat customers take part. Everyone except the morons gets fed up with it.
Interesting that the 7 dangerous days on the roads have officially finished according to the government. Pattaya gears up today and really goes mad on Wednesday. The real death toll will increase.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thechook said:

I think most expats are grumpy old men who also get upset with  children playing outside thier homes.  The have lived their lives, had fun and now want to turn off the lights and send every one home.  Selfish old codgers 

I'm in my 40s.  It only took me a couple years living here to put the commercially driven water war aspect of Songkran on my Give it a Miss List. Been there done that, got the wet T-shirt, check the box. 

 

Risk vs. Reward.  A sensible person with a modicum of common sense and an anecdotal understanding of Thailand's SNAFU Modus Operandi, would perform a quick and dirty Risk Assessment - the X factors being the density of vehicles and bodies in various states of impairment, moving around in a confined area whilst launching objects at each other.  Physics and statistical probability suggest there will be collisions within the area of chaos.

 

I still engage in the more sedate aspects of Songkran but this year, I sat at the pub, had some beers, listened to kick ass tunes and watched the herd go through the motions over and over again out in the road; which was still open for normal traffic, a percentage of which were hauling ass to avoid the water "tossers", many of which were just little kids.   What could go wrong?  :blink:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone that took part in the survey are over 50 , what did you expect ?  Of course we hate it. 

 

Maybe ask for age in the next survey . 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...