Survey results: Expats say no to Songkran!

webfact

2 hours ago, joeyg said:

Yep.  The "lions share" like that I think. I was on a bhat bus yesterday coming up second road myself and one of these old codgers were the only two passengers. The water started pouring in and this guy became furious. I was just laughing sitting there with no shirt on my bathing suit. I asked the guy what did you think was going to happen out here today. He seem like he wanted to attack me. But I just kept laughing at him in the water kept flying. Make sure wonder.

Nothing like wishing harm on other people.  Way to go!!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is my birthday on Songkhran Day (50 this year) and I absolutely enjoy one day of madness.

Usually going out to Silom/ Patpong, where a variety of people (expats/ Thais/ tourists) gather for a happy and wild time!

As it is/ was #@$%&(! hot, I don't even mind the ice- water!

The rest of the festival, I spend in my condo, on the balcony or by the pool, with a book and a beer!

I don't mind people, who want to celebrate in a traditional way and I don't mind people, celebrating wet & wild!

Each to their own- you have to find a way, that suits you best!

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Hmm, I have never given my age or date of birth on my profile or on any survey

How is this stat worked out for all responders?

Can't  recall now, but do we give D.O.B. when we sign up?

Age group was one of the survey questions. Mystery solved!

I spent the majority of Songkran under self-imposed "house arrest", with daily visits to my pool. I did venture out on Saturday evening at around 7 pm to a nearby park via Suan Phlu, to alleviate the cabin fever that had been building up over the preceding days. Was doused on the way there, wrung out my tee shirt, walked around the park, and was doused on the way back, wrung our my tee shirt, (aka wash, rinse, repeat). Boredom alleviated. Resulting discussions at home upon our return and after thoroughly scrubbing clean what might have been in the water, resulted in a desire to "definitely go away next year", the refrain that we usually leave unfulfilled. But, has anyone ever been to say Phnom Penh over Songkran, and is it less crazy? There was a slightly sinister element of quite drunk Thais on the pavement on Suan Phlu, dancing to loud musak outside a 7-11, and I was quite relieved to run that gauntlet unscathed; there was a young (mid teens) farang girl in the gang, who also appeared to be high, so I hope there were no tears.

Yes, I'm one of the grumpy old men; happy that the water sports thrill children of all ages, but only wish there was an opt out, if one so chose, and that was not only achievable by "house arrest". Any friends who ever suggested coming over here during Songkran have usually been put off by my unbiased description of what they should expect getting around in areas with which they might not be familiar, (the wet zones etc). It's more than slightly tiresome to arrive at dinner in an airconditioned restaurant when you're wet through to the skin.

I played for a bit in my nearby town. I went to enjoy and did. Most upon seeing I am an xpat tended to ask or shy away until I encouraged them...ice cold water is bracing but warms up fast.
I also love and respect the family gathering and blessings to the older members and the dead. That is the heart and soul. I love that

Sent from my GEM-702L using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

One of the local massage shops was closed for two days for the holiday, so I invited all the girls over to my house. They made a huge amount of food and were really happy to not have to sleep in the shop where they don't run the air conditioning at night. We did all venture out to look around but they really just wanted to stay in the pool.

The Hugh Heffener of Thailand well done ?

Aversion to Songkran has nothing to do with age. My first Songkran in Bangkok was when I was in my early 20's and I got wet one day only because that is the only day water was thrown. The Thais doing it asked beforehand and I never saw another Westerner who was involved in the throwing. It was a novelty the first, second and third time.

However as the years have gone on- I noticed a large influx of foreigners year after year and a Songkran celebration in which no one asked if they could douse you; icy cold water with chunks of ice thrown; powder smeared on new vehicles; drunken revellers everywhere and a complete lack of decorum.

It was not my age at all that turned me off from the 'festivities'.  The holiday just was not fun any longer and was ruled by selfish people who wanted to force participation on those who did not want to participate.

In addition, letting this so called festival continue on in a place like Pattaya for 10 days is not only absurd and dangerous- it's bad for business. Instead of people sitting, drinking and eating- they are encouraged to throw water for 10 days. It's no wonder business owners complain about a lack of customers. Not much fun for them either or people trying to conduct  personal business that cannot wait.

I can guarantee you that if Thailand's Songkran was conducted in the same manner as when I was here in my 20's- no one would flee the country; stay home locked in their condos/houses; or generally just hate the festival. It might then, actually be fun.

It's the throwing and wasteful use of water, that puts me off Songkran.

Saturday, whilst riding my motor bike, a bucket of water was thrown at me face.

Luckily, I wear a full face crash helmet with visor, but the effect of the water impacting the visor made me loose control of the bike.

Thankfully, there was accidental incident.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

It's the throwing and wasteful use of water, that puts me off Songkran.

Saturday, whilst riding my motor bike, a bucket of water was thrown at me face.

Luckily, I wear a full face crash helmet with visor, but the effect of the water impacting the visor made me loose control of the bike.

Thankfully, there was accidental incident.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

There was NO accidental incident.

Sent

When I first came to Thailand I joined in once or twice but when I saw the roads to the general hospital jam packed I began to question. Ambulance services were totally helpless when trying to get to the entrance which is close to lake. I don't know how long it had been that way before I came but it took the authorities another 5 years to decide to ban activities along the road to and from the hospital. I would walk around the lake during Songkran but I stopped doing that when I saw someones face get injured by people in a pick-up throwing plastic bag 'water bombs'. However, I do participate in traditional celebrations by having students visit me to pay respect and I visit others to do the same and that is very pleasant.

6 hours ago, Thechook said:

I think most expats are grumpy old men who also get upset with  children playing outside thier homes.  The have lived their lives, had fun and now want to turn off the lights and send every one home.  Selfish old codgers 

You are so right here, they do not like anything and complain about everything, including when the kids accidentally kick a ball and it lands in their garden and they decide to hold onto it. But you say they had their fun and want to turn off the lights. These M/B do not know how to have fun, just money and I am it about them. Old grumpy perverts springs to mind. Life is for living not as this trash do moan all day and night.

Everyone up to his preference to enjoy or not enjoy Songkran.
You should know what happens so stay there or escape for a few days but please don't complain.
It's like moaning over the hot weather but you knew that before you come to Thailand.
And it definitely matters where you are, parts of Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Pattaya might be a water war zone but in the smaller towns or villages I think it's bearable.
I compare it to Carnival in Germany where only certain regions are affected.
If you like it, you go there to enjoy, if you don't, take a holiday during that time.
However, I enjoyed my first Songkran here in Thailand some years ago with the whole programme like Silom Road, Khao San, etc...
It was nice but once experienced it was boring for me to do this a second time.
Since then I always make a trip on the countryside of Thailand or neighbouring countries.
Despite all warnings and nay-sayers I also did my second motorcycle trip during Songkran.
It was wonderful, no one on the road because everyone celebrating at home, except the last day a bit traffic because everyone going home.
No problems to find accommodation and the tourist attractions were not busy.
I enjoyed the traditional Songkran in the small villages and the cold weather in Northern Thailand [emoji5]️

5 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I'm in my 40s.  It only took me a couple years living here to put the commercially driven water war aspect of Songkran on my Give it a Miss List. Been there done that, got the wet T-shirt, check the box. 

Risk vs. Reward.  A sensible person with a modicum of common sense and an anecdotal understanding of Thailand's SNAFU Modus Operandi, would perform a quick and dirty Risk Assessment - the X factors being the density of vehicles and bodies in various states of impairment, moving around in a confined area whilst launching objects at each other.  Physics and statistical probability suggest there will be collisions within the area of chaos.

I still engage in the more sedate aspects of Songkran but this year, I sat at the pub, had some beers, listened to kick ass tunes and watched the herd go through the motions over and over again out in the road; which was still open for normal traffic, a percentage of which were hauling ass to avoid the water "tossers", many of which were just little kids.   What could go wrong?  :blink:

But how often do you eat putrifying carcasses ?

I use to like Songkran. But an incident changed all that a few years ago. I had to travel to Pattaya thinking that Songkran had finished having played in my own area in Sahmut Prakan. I got off the bus in Pattaya Clang. A group of young people where waiting for people to get off the bus. Most of the people getting off had just arrived in Thailand some with children. Not wanting to be an old fart as some people discribe us older people.I said could they wait while I put my passport and phone in a plastic bag before they drenched me. All I got was f.uck you and was literally attract with water along with couples with children. So I have never been back to Pattaya for Songkran. Their loss. The bars are on there knees as it is. So serves them right hope they all go out of buisness. I spent quite a while trying to get a new passport and my phone was totally us.

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Hmm, I have never given my age or date of birth on my profile or on any survey

How is this stat worked out for all responders?

Can't  recall now, but do we give D.O.B. when we sign up?

Profile picture ?

12 hours ago, z42 said:

It can be fun earlier in the afternoons when the kids are out and spray the people outside their houses.

The thing i hate about it are the lairy drunks who knowingly take it too far by throwing (often icy) water in the faces of motorcyclists or other drivers (basically ignoring how pissed off they'd be if it happened to them).

I think a zoning system is needed where some semblence of order can be achieved without spoiling anyone's fun.

Also alcohol makes it much worse imho

I had this 2 years ago. It was 14th... didnt see anyone playing water a day after... had to go to 7 at 10pm to buy some paracetamol for wife.... drove off in the country soi. In the dark out of nowhere someone ran out in front of the bike shouting happy Songkran in Thai throwing a bucket of water in my face.... even with helmet I slammed on brakes and fell down, the pick up behind me slammed on brakea and stopped 2 inches from my head. IF he would have  been going faster I would hVe probably been dead.  The drunk guy was sorry but I flipping punched him very hard.

Its all fun while it is safe

1 hour ago, Thongkorn said:

I use to like Songkran. But an incident changed all that a few years ago. I had to travel to Pattaya thinking that Songkran had finished having played in my own area in Sahmut Prakan. I got off the bus in Pattaya Clang. A group of young people where waiting for people to get off the bus. Most of the people getting off had just arrived in Thailand some with children. Not wanting to be an old fart as some people discribe us older people.I said could they wait while I put my passport and phone in a plastic bag before they drenched me. All I got was f.uck you and was literally attract with water along with couples with children. So I have never been back to Pattaya for Songkran. Their loss. The bars are on there knees as it is. So serves them right hope they all go out of buisness. I spent quite a while trying to get a new passport and my phone was totally us.

I also lived in "Samut Prakan"  There is no bus that goes to Pattaya "Klang" Just Pattaya Nua.  Bad idea to wish bad things on people.  It always comes back to you.  Just sayin'

Archived