Survey results: Expats say no to Songkran!

webfact

5 hours ago, joeyg said:

But how often do you eat putrifying carcasses ?

Your choice for a veg lifestyle has nothing to do with this topic.  The fact you keep hauling it out as some kind of desperate, weird ass deflecting argument meant as a put down to meat eaters makes you sound like a slightly imbalanced fk'ing weird, dude.  Up to you though. No skin off my prime rib with horse radish and Au Jus.  :blink:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Basically one afternoon here on Samui, come here.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Starts the night before so let's say one day. I'm getting a bit sick of the pro Samui mafia to be honest !

Samui is not a great place to be during Songkran unless you are keeping off the roads. Same as New Year.

BTW I live on Samui and love it here :smile:

15 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

One of the local massage shops was closed for two days for the holiday, so I invited all the girls over to my house. They made a huge amount of food and were really happy to not have to sleep in the shop where they don't run the air conditioning at night. We did all venture out to look around but they really just wanted to stay in the pool.

sounds  fun, should  have  it  twice a  year !!

A  real  happy  ending!!!

2 minutes ago, kannot said:
15 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

One of the local massage shops was closed for two days for the holiday, so I invited all the girls over to my house. They made a huge amount of food and were really happy to not have to sleep in the shop where they don't run the air conditioning at night. We did all venture out to look around but they really just wanted to stay in the pool.

If I wasn't married I would probably have invited all the local massage shop girls to my place as well !

2 hours ago, joeyg said:

I also lived in "Samut Prakan"  There is no bus that goes to Pattaya "Klang" Just Pattaya Nua.  Bad idea to wish bad things on people.  It always comes back to you.  Just sayin'

No it  doesnt always come back to you superstitious  nonsense, all it  does is  increase  the chance of something coming back to you, how  many  millions  did Pol  Pot  kill?  all he got was "house arrest" hardly haunted him did it.

8 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Aversion to Songkran has nothing to do with age. My first Songkran in Bangkok was when I was in my early 20's and I got wet one day only because that is the only day water was thrown. The Thais doing it asked beforehand and I never saw another Westerner who was involved in the throwing. It was a novelty the first, second and third time.

However as the years have gone on- I noticed a large influx of foreigners year after year and a Songkran celebration in which no one asked if they could douse you; icy cold water with chunks of ice thrown; powder smeared on new vehicles; drunken revellers everywhere and a complete lack of decorum.

It was not my age at all that turned me off from the 'festivities'.  The holiday just was not fun any longer and was ruled by selfish people who wanted to force participation on those who did not want to participate.

In addition, letting this so called festival continue on in a place like Pattaya for 10 days is not only absurd and dangerous- it's bad for business. Instead of people sitting, drinking and eating- they are encouraged to throw water for 10 days. It's no wonder business owners complain about a lack of customers. Not much fun for them either or people trying to conduct  personal business that cannot wait.

I can guarantee you that if Thailand's Songkran was conducted in the same manner as when I was here in my 20's- no one would flee the country; stay home locked in their condos/houses; or generally just hate the festival. It might then, actually be fun.

I haven't read through all the posts after yours, but I am compelled to say that your post quoted above is excellent.  Love it.  :thumbsup:

My wife has a monk for a brother. Went to his wat just outside Sa Kaeo. Had a ball, a good rock band provided music for various singers, some sexy scantily dressed young ladies got many dancing. Poured water into the hands of the monks and many elderly (many with betel red teeth) The local fire truck later sprayed water over the dancers. It was fun, it was simple and traditional, no one got pissed. As the only farang, I was a bit of a side attraction, repeatedly had my hand shaken while I tried to remember how to dance with my wife. Gave it a go though.  Lots of fun.

7 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Your choice for a veg lifestyle has nothing to do with this topic.  The fact you keep hauling it out as some kind of desperate, weird ass deflecting argument meant as a put down to meat eaters makes you sound like a slightly imbalanced fk'ing weird, dude.  Up to you though. No skin off my prime rib with horse radish and Au Jus.  :blink:

Let's see I'm desperate, weird ass, imbalanced <deleted> weird.  Fortunately I stop taking anything I read here personally along time ago and that is the point it has a lot to do with you but you wouldn't understand it anyway I say eat more meat... :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, joeyg said:

I also lived in "Samut Prakan"  There is no bus that goes to Pattaya "Klang" Just Pattaya Nua.  Bad idea to wish bad things on people.  It always comes back to you.  Just sayin'

Try going to Ekamire . Get out more . 

7 hours ago, joeyg said:

Let's see I'm desperate, weird ass, imbalanced <deleted> weird.  Fortunately I stop taking anything I read here personally along time ago and that is the point it has a lot to do with you but you wouldn't understand it anyway I say eat more meat... :thumbsup:

No.... I wasn't referring to you personally, Joey, nice try but no cigar.  LOL.  Clearly referring to your odd suggestions that omnivores should eat more meat.... in a thread about Songkran. 

No... I understand what you're doing.  First off your just trolling me at this point.  Trolling in this way indicates your level of arrogance, which also misleads you into thinking a mere meat eater is incapable of detecting and understanding your passive aggressive innuendo.  LOL. 

Born again christians, and recovering alcoholics, for example, are far worse with this than overly-enthusiastic lifestyle vegetarians.  Your snarky suggestion(s) that omnivores should eat more meat indicates you consider your lifestyle and choices superior to theirs.   If eating more/too much red meat makes a person sick and may lead to premature death, then your suggestion that they do so, means you wish harm on them.  Way to Go, Joey!  That is not only arrogant and mean spirited , but also completely irrelevant to a thread about...... Songkran. :blink:

Edit.  PS: BTW, I've got no beef with you.  Just a bit of good natured ribbing.  I'm not steaking any claims here or trying to lambaste you for yours. :laugh:

On 4/19/2017 at 3:37 PM, 55Jay said:

No.... I wasn't referring to you personally, Joey, nice try but no cigar.  LOL.  Clearly referring to your odd suggestions that omnivores should eat more meat.... in a thread about Songkran. 

No... I understand what you're doing.  First off your just trolling me at this point.  Trolling in this way indicates your level of arrogance, which also misleads you into thinking a mere meat eater is incapable of detecting and understanding your passive aggressive innuendo.  LOL. 

Born again christians, and recovering alcoholics, for example, are far worse with this than overly-enthusiastic lifestyle vegetarians.  Your snarky suggestion(s) that omnivores should eat more meat indicates you consider your lifestyle and choices superior to theirs.   If eating more/too much red meat makes a person sick and may lead to premature death, then your suggestion that they do so, means you wish harm on them.  Way to Go, Joey!  That is not only arrogant and mean spirited , but also completely irrelevant to a thread about...... Songkran. :blink:

Edit.  PS: BTW, I've got no beef with you.  Just a bit of good natured ribbing.  I'm not steaking any claims here or trying to lambaste you for yours. :laugh:

Glad we got that "cleared up!" :thumbsup:  

4 hours ago, joeyg said:

Glad we got that "cleared up!" :thumbsup:  

I was 70/30 in favor of you responding, figured you couldn't let that last one lay there, uncontested, because your superiority complex and passive aggressive tendencies won't allow that.  And so you snap out a dismissive one liner thinking it gives you the upper hand, and feeds your swollen ego by having the "last word"! :laugh:

Are you sure you're not a closet meat eater? :ph34r:

images.jpg.9fef22860be915fe0477aa15d7c46f2e.jpg

Archived