British PM May calls for early election on June 8

Jonathan Fairfield

If Brexit wasn't on the table the conservatives would have no chance. They used it to grab power at the last election and they will use it again to keep the power for another 5 years. In the mean time real issues like the NHS low taxes for all their mates will be ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

If Brexit wasn't on the table the conservatives would have no chance. They used it to grab power at the last election and they will use it again to keep the power for another 5 years. In the mean time real issues like the NHS low taxes for all their mates will be ignored.

You dont think brexit is important? Would you like Jeremy in charge of brexit negotiations? :shock1:

8 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

How is winning an election on a published manifesto grabbing power?

The Conservatives promised a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU in the last election; but the Conservative policy was pro EU and they fully expected that the referendum result would be to remain.

So saying that they used Brexit to 'grab power' is utterly wrong.

I'm sorry, but your post is just an 'I'm anti Tory so will criticise whatever they do' rant.

Just now, Johnyo said:

Of course its important, I just think it will mask other issues where the conservatives have been weak for years.

If the "conservatives have been weak for years" it really doesn't say a lot about the others does it?

And if Labour were in power the UK national debt would be significantly higher than the scarily high £1.7 trillion with they're borrowing policies.

Brexit is an opportunity, Labour didn't trust the electorate enough to be given the choice, if the EU/UK fails to achieve an amicable deal then we could be a low tax investment attractive country that prospers even more.

Meaning more investment in our services like the NHS, financial governance is what the NHS severely lacks & quite frankly I wouldn't trust Labour with a department brew fund let alone the country's budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

I will make a prediction, Jeremy Corbyn will not lead the Labor party into this election campaign 

I disagree.

I think he will lead them into and through the campaign, but wont lead them for very long after.

He's Foot to May's Thatcher.

I think its a massive gamble by May. I'm struggling to see how she can increase her majority. Most of the labour seats are safe even though they are in a mess, they lost so many last election. The Lib Dems will grab a few more on the rebound and the fact they are anti Brexit and the SNP are on a pretty safe position.

I can only see the gap closing if anything. But this is politics after all......

16 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

Cameron's referendum was a result of he Tory's losing votes to UKIP, otherwise there would no Brexit, I call that grabbing power. 

It was Labour who lost the most votes to UKIP not the Tories. And the referendum was a result of Tory infighting.   

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well I hope it will shut up the whinging, unpatriotic europhiles that do not support the majority of the UK. It would seem you never did national service or served your country. What a shame. Even if the people do not vote for May at least she is a patriot, sadly lacking by many People and TV posters here. I am embarrassed for you.

Because of the EU, we don't need national service! Yet...

Because of the EU, we don't need national service! Yet...

And hopefully post Brexit no U.K. Government will reintroduce it either.

With an UK unemployment rate at 4.7% unlikely to happen in the near future either.

38 minutes ago, citybiker said:

And hopefully post Brexit no U.K. Government will reintroduce it either.

With an UK unemployment rate at 4.7% unlikely to happen in the near future either.

It will never be reintroduced. They simply can't. People have been conditioned since the 1960s to stand up for themselves and question authority. No way will they cooperate with being subjected to marching up and down or 'Because I said so'. Quite rightly too.

They have the most to loose!

IIRC Labour has lost one already on the snap GE news.

Alan Johnston, sorry no link.

At least the frenzy of political campaigning will be short & then revert to focus on ensuring the UK can see Brexit being delivered along with other domestic business.

I think Sturgeon is realising she's not dealing with a damp squib in TM, the other political parties being caught on the hop over this is mainly their 'own doing'.

Less party political infighting, bitching & bickering & focus on the what the electorate voted MP's for, representing them in a constructive, progressive and positive manner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Slip said:

Brexit referundum2?  Quite clever of her.

I do not think we could retract "Article 50", this is going to be about hard or soft brexit...

her story about other parties making things difficult does not ring true as she has a majority in the house, if anything it is dissenters in her own party that are the problem.

And the other reason she has called a snap election now is she could end up with 50 or so more MP's with so much disunity within the Labour party, UKIP now a none entity, Lib Dems still licking their wounds, and the SNP very unlikely to win any more seat, more likely to lose many.

6 hours ago, 7by7 said:

I disagree.

I think he will lead them into and through the campaign, but wont lead them for very long after.

He's Foot to May's Thatcher.

Agree. No way can Labour ditch Corbyn and elect a new leader in time for the election, I doubt they could even draw up an election manifesto that the majority of the party members or MP's could agree on...

I will make a prediction, Jeremy Corbyn will not lead the Labor party into this election campaign 

If May wins, I predict Corbyn & Farron gone by the end of the summer, JC never wanted Labour leader job & gives him a respectable justification to stand down saying he's done his best, and Farron will accept anything that's media air time just to promote what's remaining of the LD's.

As for Sturgeon, she's clearly very unhappy at today's call.

Overall, that'll teach the other political parties to be careful what they wish for (Labour & LD called for a snap GE back in 2016). Let the other parties implode & force each other into a corner, May's justification is very much warranted. The UK needs strong leadership & support for Brexit not childish petty political game playing by the nay Sayers.

Fair play to ruthless TM, Westminster has been given a wake up call & bloody nose all in one day..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, baboon said:

People have been conditioned since the 1960s to stand up for themselves and question authority. No way will they cooperate with being subjected to marching up and down or 'Because I said so'. Quite rightly too.

Pity about North Korea eh?

9 hours ago, CharlieK said:

Only in so far as what might happen after Brexit. But Brexit was the cause of the decline not the current state of the economy. Just to add, It is accepted that the Pound is undervalued, if you follow FX.

The Pound is undervalued, only if we achieve a favourable soft Brexit, if we don't then the Pound is currently overvalued.

Markets have now said they think the election in June nudges the currency swingometer a point or two points towards a favourable Brexit outcome hence the rise in the value of Sterling. It can be argued however that news of the election has changed nothing since the underlying economics remain the same, if anything they just got slightly worse since the rise in the value of Sterling will increase our borrowing costs plus the rise wiped over fifty billion off the value of the FTSE!

I agree however that Brexit was the cause of the fall in the value of Sterling in that it exposed the illusion that the UK's debt and deficit profile was actually OK, just because we were part of a larger economic body - the Brexit vote didn't change any of the UK's economic fundamentals, it merely vaporised the concept that we had some form of debt support or insurance policy hidden away, the kindness of strangers had the potential to be transformed into outright cap in hand begging.

Yes I do follow FX.

Just now, RuamRudy said:

It's interesting that she has ruled out a TV debate. Arguably, she is not the most convincing of communicators, so could it be a fear at ConHQ that she, personally, will come across badly, or could it be that they do not want to expose her to possibly awkward and potentially damaging questions?

Only worth holding debates if you are behind. Trump smashed the Clintons in no 2. While fake news nn failed to report it anyone who saw it could see the writing was on the wall and internet polls gave it. He ripped both Hillary and Bill apart.

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I wonder how badly wrong the pollsters will get this one? Their track record of late isn't too clever.

here's hoping! As David Steele once said an eon ago: 'prepare for government' (he was the leader of the Liberal party in the dim and distant and for the 1st time the Liberals were predicted to gain more seats in parliament than they'd dreamed of for decades). Well I can still dream can't I?

Archived