British PM May calls for early election on June 8

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's a shame that both Labour and the Lib Dems don't have more electable leaders; a David Steele or a Tony Blair would be nice.

Lib Dems have nobody...

My recommendation would have been Ming, down to earth, able to think for himself and a nice guy. but their is no time for any party to ditch their leader and select another before June...

LibDems would do better accepting there is no going back on Brexit and focusing  on a soft Brexit and the issues in the care system.

Tories heve done nothing to defuse the ticking time bomb of care for the elderly and disabled and nailed their flag to the Hard Brexit flag pole.

Labour could not at this time agree on what biscuits to have at a meeting, their answer to the care problem is spend money we do not have, and on Europe they have not a clue...

Sturgeon, still whinging on for Indy2ref and a Brexit u turn...  

As for UKIP seem Nigel has forgotten he is caretaker party leader and no one in UKIP can remember which bar they left him propping up...

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Labour/LD/SNP coalition?

Now that would be interesting & highly unlikely as the leadership contest would be a bloodbath.

As for Blair & Farron....Tony is an egotist & craves power but realistically & thankfully will not return to a leadership position, Corybn despite what he says on tv is no UK leader & Farron is more of a clown than Sturgeon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the result will depend upon the numpties waking up. These people thought Brexit would improve their lot; it won't of course. I can see greater inequality and increasing imbalance of capital and labour together with lower living standards than would otherwise be the case.

Of course other Brexiteers, the b*st*rds, will still want to forge ahead to make more at everyone else's expense.

The xenophobic Brexiteers will stay with it, it's too early for them to see that immigration isn't going to decrease. I think May's Great England will need more, not less, labour.

The Little Englander Brexiteers will stick with it, whatever the cost

Finally, there will be another year's worth of first time voters and many more young people are going to get out of bed this time.

Interesting times, but I have hope!

(pity about Corbyn; he's the main risk! - he could end up getting blamed for Brexit)

5 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Lib Dems have nobody...

My recommendation would have been Ming, down to earth, able to think for himself and a nice guy. but their is no time for any party to ditch their leader and select another before June...

LibDems would do better accepting there is no going back on Brexit and focusing  on a soft Brexit and the issues in the care system.

Tories heve done nothing to defuse the ticking time bomb of care for the elderly and disabled and nailed their flag to the Hard Brexit flag pole.

Labour could not at this time agree on what biscuits to have at a meeting, their answer to the care problem is spend money we do not have, and on Europe they have not a clue...

Sturgeon, still whinging on for Indy2ref and a Brexit u turn...  

As for UKIP seem Nigel has forgotten he is caretaker party leader and no one in UKIP can remember which bar they left him propping up...

Caretaker? I thought he was the undertaker for UKIP! ?

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I think the result will depend upon the numpties waking up. These people thought Brexit would improve their lot; it won't of course. I can see greater inequality and increasing imbalance of capital and labour together with lower living standards than would otherwise be the case.

Of course other Brexiteers, the b*st*rds, will still want to forge ahead to make more at everyone else's expense.

The xenophobic Brexiteers will stay with it, it's too early for them to see that immigration isn't going to decrease. I think May's Great England will need more, not less, labour.

The Little Englander Brexiteers will stick with it, whatever the cost

Finally, there will be another year's worth of first time voters and many more young people are going to get out of bed this time.

Interesting times, but I have hope!

(pity about Corbyn; he's the main risk! - he could end up getting blamed for Brexit)

Why bend over to please foreigners? Sad how weak poms are these days.

Thailand doesnt

The idea for a snap GE was not an idea dreamed upon an Easter Monday walk with her husband...

This was advice from Conservative Central Office, like F1 they have people on the pit wall glued to computer advising when to call their drivers in for a pit stop...

The timing has never been so good for the Tories.

Personally I am waiting to see the  ''I am going to work for you as I am an elected public servant''  as opposed to the ''Jam tomorrow folks if we are elected to enrich our personal self serving political and financial aims policies'' so beloved by today's M P's of all shades.

Politicians are  motivated by personal power have no illusions, the days of the crusading constituency politician's sadly have long gone.

''You get the government you deserve,'' or so the saying goes, lets see what is  served up  by the great British public as the next course in the U K political power restaurant.

"Stands the church clock at ten to three? And is there honey still for tea?

Oh yes guvnor,  it's not Jam tomorrow,  now it's honey tomorrow, Well  it is for me as an M P anyway,  be patient your Jam is on its way though!!!!:saai:

15 hours ago, Roadman said:

Cometh the hour, cometh the woman...man. But she is showing she is head and shoulders the best world leader by a country mile and just the person for Brexit. Britain is fortunate she was sitting in waiting. 

Less fortunate whilst overseeing the passport debacle however.

2 hours ago, JackScarlett said:

To me the reasoning is obvious.  TM knows that the negotiations with the EU will be extremely difficult and she is unlikely to get what she wants.   The result will be that the British economy will shrink, prices and inflation will rise, unemployment will increase and the pound will fall to parity with the dollar.   If she gets a further five years in 2017 that will take he through to 2022 and then she can retire with a large pension and tour the world telling audiences how she was sabotaged by the opposition parties and then run to the bank with the large cheques she will receive for spouting rubbish

Which is, in essence, what you've just done.

9 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Why not two weeks earlier.

Headlines: May calls for May election :ermm:

Although only 3 weeks notice need be given, more probably the boffins at Central Office advised 6-8 weeks, most parties are in the process of getting ready for major constituency boundary changes next year.

To have gone for a May election that would have meant calling an election before Article 50 had been submitted...

Although only 3 weeks notice need be given, more probably the boffins at Central Office advised 6-8 weeks, most parties are in the process of getting ready for major constituency boundary changes next year.

To have gone for a May election that would have meant calling an election before Article 50 had been submitted...

Also she technically needs a vote in parliament which she has yet to do under the new Fixed Term Parliament Rules which don't appear to be worth the paper they are written on.

Also she technically needs a vote in parliament which she has yet to do under the new Fixed Term Parliament Rules which don't appear to be worth the paper they are written on.

Much like the Article 50 paper that wasn't properly designed to be used.

I understand why May has reluctantly done this however I still have reservations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Orac said:

Yes she needs 67% of MP's... Labour have already said they will vote for an election, even with dissenters within the Labour party with some MP's probably not bothering to vote the result is a certainty...

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I wonder how badly wrong the pollsters will get this one? Their track record of late isn't too clever.

I think she saw the handwriting on the wall or read the chickens entrails. Better to go now than in 2 years. 2 years can be a lifetime in politics. She has Corbin on the ropes and I think she senses after Brexit and Trump the tide is turning and in 2 years she could be swept out to sea. Politicians are always looking for life preservers and if in a Titanic situation they would steal the life jacket off your back. Forget about the word "choice" there is none. Conservatives are conservatives are conservatives for the rich against the poor but even the poor don't seem to relate to this because they are to busy picking up crumbs left by who else the conservatives. 

3 hours ago, JackScarlett said:

To me the reasoning is obvious.  TM knows that the negotiations with the EU will be extremely difficult and she is unlikely to get what she wants.   The result will be that the British economy will shrink, prices and inflation will rise, unemployment will increase and the pound will fall to parity with the dollar.   If she gets a further five years in 2017 that will take he through to 2022 and then she can retire with a large pension and tour the world telling audiences how she was sabotaged by the opposition parties and then run to the bank with the large cheques she will receive for spouting rubbish. 

Yes that is broadly my analysis also, some attempt has to be made to go beyond the mud slinging and ask why now? That is the question of the day (Well yesterday).  Despite her repeatedly denying she would call an election, she saw that the simple and simplistic in/out Brexit was never going to happen, and as things came unstuck the the blame would fall on the Tories in 2020, who else can the voters blame?  Forget Corbyn's vomit inducing duplicity on Brexit, I expect he will be long gone after the likely significant loss of seats to come. Ukip are disappearing from view with their Xenophobic filth. May is obviously a nasty piece of work, but stupid she is not.

3 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Yep, and they're both Scottish to boot!

As I am so that one falls a bit flat as far as I'm concerned.

Still, when Gordon Brown wanted a train named after him The Flying Scotsman was suggested if they could paint out the 'F'

??

Good tactical move by May and massive U-turn to boot.  It is becoming more evident that the Brexit divorce is going to be harder work for May and her team than they ever thought ( David Davis has said as much) and the end result looks like being a disaster for the negotiators.  They then need to get that agreed and May needs as much help with that as possible.  This is a way of beefing up the conservatives and weakening the critics.

Will this be the death nail for Labour?  Well it will definitely be the death nail for Corbyn and his gang.  I think the Liberal Democrats will pick up seats and that UKip will hopefully sink without trace.  On the other hand it could well damage the Scottish National Party and that would boost the Tories vote in Scotland.  Many Scots are dissatisfied with Sturgeons push for independence and she is clearly rattled by this election call.

May knows that she will win the election, that is beyond doubt but just what the political playground will look like afterwards will be interesting to see.  The size of the turnout will also be interesting to see as I think many people will find it hard to vote for any of parties.

16 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Good tactical move by May and massive U-turn to boot.  It is becoming more evident that the Brexit divorce is going to be harder work for May and her team than they ever thought ( David Davis has said as much) and the end result looks like being a disaster for the negotiators.  They then need to get that agreed and May needs as much help with that as possible.  This is a way of beefing up the conservatives and weakening the critics.

Will this be the death nail for Labour?  Well it will definitely be the death nail for Corbyn and his gang.  I think the Liberal Democrats will pick up seats and that UKip will hopefully sink without trace.  On the other hand it could well damage the Scottish National Party and that would boost the Tories vote in Scotland.  Many Scots are dissatisfied with Sturgeons push for independence and she is clearly rattled by this election call.

May knows that she will win the election, that is beyond doubt but just what the political playground will look like afterwards will be interesting to see.  The size of the turnout will also be interesting to see as I think many people will find it hard to vote for any of parties.

Watching UK news it would also appear that a lot of people are getting fed up with all the voting, elections and whatever over the past couple of years.

It could be a very low turn out on this one but I'm not sure what effect a low turn out would have.

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Watching UK news it would also appear that a lot of people are getting fed up with all the voting, elections and whatever over the past couple of years.

It could be a very low turn out on this one but I'm not sure what effect a low turn out would have.

Tory voters have a good record when it comes to turnout, its Labour voters that can't normally be bothered.

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

Tory voters have a good record when it comes to turnout, its Labour voters that can't normally be bothered.

That is true but I think many of the traditional Tory voters may not bother this time.  A large amount were Remainers (especially in the south) and they may well feel reluctant to rubber stamp May's approach to Brexit.

May will win because there is no viable opposition and she knows that.  If there were then she wouldn't risk an election now.

Yes she needs 67% of MP's... Labour have already said they will vote for an election, even with dissenters within the Labour party with some MP's probably not bothering to vote the result is a certainty...

Seems an odd tactic by Labour to vote for an election rather than just abstain - without that 67% of MPs backing an election then TM to need hold a no-confidence vote in her leadership and 'lose' which would be a more entertaining spectacle.

Archived