How much do you pay avocados in Thailand ? why so expensive ?

questionsreplies

To answer your question about how much we pay FOR avocados.

The price varies a lot.

Thai avocados can be as cheap as 80 baht a kg in season. Some are very very good, but the quality does vary.

Right now it is off-season, so the price is about 199 Baht per kg (20 Baht each)

Imported avocados are more expensive, but usually better quality. They range from 80 to 100 Baht each.

It is not only here that they are expensive. I read somewhere that even in USA and Mexico the price has shot up so much that some people fear they may disappear from Mexican food.

Avocados in California  are cheap if you get the not as pretty ones !

so if they have dents , dark spots , not the right shape , then they are not going to get exported or sold at the better grocery stores.

My tree is over 50 years old and grows ugly fruit that tastes great ,

The worst ones I ever had were in Hawaii , big but no taste

In Chiang Rai, 60 baht per kilo in season and pretty good. In Bangkok, about 100 baht each. 

I am currently in the USA and contrary to popular belief the best avocados are not California but Mexican imports. The Avocado growers association in Mexico has very high standards as to fat content and the ones available in the USA (east coast) are fantastic the best in the world as far as I'm concerned. The price in season used to be about 1 US dollar but during this USA visit they are about $2.50 cents which is close to Bangkok price ...but much higher quality. The New Zealand ones in Fresh Market for example...never ripen correctly because they are low fat content and just have no flavor. I have thrown more away as they stay hard and go bad before they ever ripen. When I was in Chiang Rai I bought 6 and flew them back to BKK...

44 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

Most Thai avocados are tasteless. The good ones are usually imported and expensive. The prices in USA have gone up a lot because of the drought in California. They need a lot of water. 

Yes, most are tasteless. but we found a supplier from Chiang Mai that will send to Bangkok if you order 2 Kg,  Her avocados were very sweet and creamy and as good as any imported.

Can't wait for next season.

Has anyone tried to grow avocado trees ?

what do I need to do ?  just use the "seed" or ????  and then what......

I know it will take years to get fruit but since I already have the tree its free to try and these are really tasty so I know what I will be getting :)

and then there is the big peach tree in the backyard........

I'm sure they are about 100 baht each in Villa Market in Hua Hin, a little cheaper in Gourmet Market but not much. I'm sure I've seen them in Makro for around 70 baht but it's hit and miss if they are any good or not.

I got some really good ones in Chiang Mai, Thai avocados, 5 for 100 baht at some kind of OTOP fair.  

Bloody love avocado.

22 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

I know it will take years to get fruit but since I already have the tree its free to try and these are really tasty so I know what I will be getting :)

Lots of people have tried.

There is an old and fairly lengthy topic on growing avocados here: 

There are orchards around Pakchong  - just outside Kao Yai National Park and in season  available for 25/40 baht a Kg  - from the table 'under the tree' and ripe they taste great.  I think the issue in Thailand  is distribution & market.  First the Thai market & cuisine not that keen on them, demand is not high,  it is a demand largely based on a small falang market - this leads to as example Macro putting local advocado's on their  shelves very green and hard hoping for a long shelf life  that take many days at home to ripen and soften if they don't turn black.  This allows for an extended shelf life  for them to be 'available' to the few - and still probably a  substantial stock lost to degradation in store - so no wonder the sales price jumps to 100 Baht Kg.   

It is a puzzle that Thai's don't embrace the taste of a guacamole loaded with chili - Indonesia love them pulverised in a  fruit shake mixed with chocolate - more calorie loaded than a Guinness. 

It seems like they need some altitude to grow fruiting trees - maybe cool nights to allow them to flourish - unlike mangoes.

On 4/19/2017 at 8:35 AM, oldcarguy said:

Takes about five years for an avocado tree grown from seed to fruit.  Google will tell you everything.  Imported avocados very expensive but Thai avocados expensive as well as half are inedible and the other half no flavor.

I have an avocado tree planted from a seed about five years ago

Last year it had two large fruit this year the tree is full but still small

I have always used a 15 15 15 fertilizer a couple of good handfuls every month plus regular feeding with cow and pig manure together with a lot of water

Living in Fang in the North we are pretty high up and get the cool season which I think helps

1 hour ago, little mary sunshine said:

OMG...The price of an avocado...really?? With

everything in Thailand being so inexpensive buy

a bag full and stop complaining!!

They're very expensive now.

Seasonal.

I'm seeing only imports now, no lower than 80 baht each.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:11 AM, questionsreplies said:

How much do you pay avocados in Thailand ? why so expensive ?

Thank you.

Probably for the same reason that Papayas and Mangos are ridiculously expensive in UK!

Avocados are very high demand with westerners and the supply is limited in some seasons. During some seasons, there are decent Thai cados for sale, and naturally the prices for those are lower here. Not rocket science really. 

funfacts.jpg.aa628070c87795bb52feb3063b7b2bf8.jpg

Revenge of the Aztec Gods?

Edited by Jingthing

Queen Vic Market in Melbourne, 99 cents, medium size and delicious.

The very next day in Jusco Bangkok, 99 baht, small size.

Local markets are hit and miss. Old fruit and veg guy at my local market calls me over whenever he has some. 

Large, but variable quality, 15-20 baht each depending on weight.

In Singapore large supermarkets often have US imports, 3 for SD3-4, mostly excellent quality.

Neighbours give me a few when they have family visiting who bring some by.

They don't like them much so gifted to me :smile:

On 4/19/2017 at 8:35 AM, oldcarguy said:

I have 2 growing now.  About 1 year old. Thing to remember the tree does not have bark so they cannot be grown in direct hot sun when young.  Later as the tree fills out the tree base is protected by it's leaves.  Living where nights are cooler will help and likely improve quality and taste.  I am growing for fun and see if I can make it work.  I am also growing a plum tree.  

The imported Hass avocados (the ones priced at around 80 - 100 baht each and turning purple-black when ripe) are coming in by air, hence the high price. They could be brought in by sea container at lower cost, but the large volumes might be difficult to sell because they would still be relatively expensive for your average Thai consumer. 

Hass trees require cooler temperatures, usually in areas over 1,000 metres above sea level, so there aren't many places in Thailand where they can be grown. 

Most of the avocados produced in Thailand are varieties from the West Indian race and can be grown in lower/warmer areas. They stay green when ripe (not a problem in itself, but it'smore difficult for the consumer to know when they're ripe). They have lower fat content so are generally considered less tasty than Hass. 

I'm working on developing a Hass avocado orchard here in Paksong, southern Laos, at altitude 1,200 metres above sea level. Hopefully in a few years from now, I will be able to supply Thailand with good quality Hass at more reasonable prices.  

I have an avocado tree planted from a seed about five years ago

Last year it had two large fruit this year the tree is full but still small

I have always used a 15 15 15 fertilizer a couple of good handfuls every month plus regular feeding with cow and pig manure together with a lot of water

Living in Fang in the North we are pretty high up and get the cool season which I think helps

I planted a grafted tree three years ago in Chiang Dao, it's about 6 meters now.

Last November it gave about 200 fruits, giving fruit in June again.

Planted 2 more trees 1 year ago.

No fertilizer or pesticides, across the soi there is a stream with cold mountain spring water all year around

Before that I bought avocados in neighboring village at the Burmese border for 20 baht per kilo.

Hass trees require cooler temperatures, usually in areas over 1,000 metres above sea level, so there aren't many places in Thailand where they can be grown.

My house is located 585 meters above sea level.

I think the trees like the mountain spring water at 18 degrees Celsius also.

I have 2 growing now.  About 1 year old. Thing to remember the tree does not have bark so they cannot be grown in direct hot sun when young.  Later as the tree fills out the tree base is protected by it's leaves.  Living where nights are cooler will help and likely improve quality and taste.  I am growing for fun and see if I can make it work.  I am also growing a plum tree.  

Did you buy them grafted?

They're very expensive now.

Seasonal.

I'm seeing only imports now, no lower than 80 baht each.

First season in North starting now, spotted them at Makro Samui for 80 baht/kilo

Correction..... 169 baht at Makro today.