German man killed himself with charcoal fire in toilet, say police

webfact

German man killed himself with charcoal fire in toilet, say police

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

CHAING MAI: -- Police in Chiang Mai think a German man killed himself by locking himself in a toilet at his house and lighting a charcoal burner.

Charter Michael Brandt (name transliterated from Thai), 48, was found lying next to the toilet bowl in a downstairs bathroom at his rented house in Sukkasem Road Soi 4 on Tuesday, reported Thai Rath.

Medics ascertained that due to the level of decomposition of the body he had been dead at least five days.

Near the body was a charcoal burner and ashes. The fire had long since gone out.

There was no sign of a struggle. the victim was wearing just a pair of black shorts.

Neighbors said they noticed a foul smell coming from the house and a lot of flies. The victim had not been seen for many days and lived alone.

Police investigating believe he committed suicide by smoke inhalation from the burner.

The body was sent for autopsy while the German embassy and relatives were contacted.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-19

7 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Toilets,bathrooms seem to be a very dangerous places for Farangs

in Thailand, noticed a few reports recently of them expiring in the bathroom,R.I.P.

regards Worgeordie

In this instance, it was the fumes that caused the danger, rather than the toilet cubicle itself 

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

Not uncommon but it's not as painless as some internet pages advice.

http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/Carbon-Monoxide-Suicide.html

yes but that article gives a completely distorted and incomplete perspective because anyone who chooses that way to go shouldn't simply sit there and endure the slow buildup of CO gas like a frog in boiling water. If you enter a confined environment which has at least 12,600 parts per million CO gas, you will die within three minutes and it won't be as bad as that guy described in the article. 

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Toilets,bathrooms seem to be a very dangerous places for Farangs

in Thailand, noticed a few reports recently of them expiring in the bathroom,R.I.P.

regards Worgeordie

not as dangerous as balconies:crying:

Its not an uncommon way to commit suicide. Infact there is even restrictions and bans on the use of charcoal as at one point in asian history cant remember the news or countries mentioned but it was the preferred choice of suicide.

Where i live my neighbours are trying to legally kill my family with chacoal smoke just because they are racist inbred uneducated psycopaths. And because we had many officials out to stop them yesterday that actually didnt really do anything they have now taken up burning anything to smoke us out. Will probably be suicide also?. Love this country!

Just a little reference for people living around charcoal manufacturers. I have 3neighbours all unrelated families and the only thing they have in common is they make and cook with charcoal. All died from serious cancers in 3months and now my wife and i are feeding, being a taxi service, etc. For the people left behind.

Rip. Many farangs are giving up. I got dragged the other day to meet a guy whos a bit down in the dumps, cancer, wife left and stealing everything. Miserable country this. It shouldnt be like this. I secretly wish farangs wouldn't settle down in thai. I know i regret it and have everything here and no way could i afford to move my family.

(Sorry to go a bit off topic)

Burning charcoal in a confined space results in the production of Carbon Monoxide as the Oxygen in the atmosphere gets used up. So the method of suicide, which is quite common, is similar to using the fumes from your car exhaust.
No issues in an open space where there is plenty od Oxygen to burn op all the charcoal.

2 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

Burning charcoal in a confined space results in the production of Carbon Monoxide as the Oxygen in the atmosphere gets used up. So the method of suicide, which is quite common, is similar to using the fumes from your car exhaust.
No issues in an open space where there is plenty od Oxygen to burn op all the charcoal.

You don't even have to burn charcoal and forget about car exhaust.

The same results can be achieved very quickly by simply allowing sulphuric acid to drip slowly into formic acid. This results in an almost instant and lethal buildup of CO gas.

16 hours ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

Well I must say it's the first I've heard of this. German gased in shower. Shoe on the other foot so to speak. 

How many Germans can you fit in a toilet?

Thats not funny. My grandad died in a concentration camp.

he got pissed and fell out the Guard Tower....

boom boom :)

On 4/21/2017 at 8:38 AM, wakeupplease said:

Farangs love to die here I wonder why

RIP

Because they left somewhere called home where they were worked to death just to make ends meet and thought they were going someplace economical where the people actually liked them and found out it's just another hell.

On 4/19/2017 at 4:57 AM, williamgeorgeallen said:

2 new methods i have read about in a week. i though jumping was the method of choice. people should have the right to die if they want however people should also have access to help with their problems. guys in thailand are a long way away from their real families and isolation is a real problem.

Unfortunately, in many cases they  are responsible for that isolation. Reading the comments of so many people in TVF is see angry nasty men who have  abandoned wives and children.

In any case there is just so much one can do when  dealing with the mentally ill. Sometimes, what will be will be and it is a better use of resources to help those who want to live.

Archived