What value for a young woman's life? Negligent "foam party" organizer goes to dead woman's parents to beg forgiveness as bargaining begins

webfact

3 minutes ago, DSJPC said:

I will ask again...what the hell is a "foam party"???

If you select "Google" and enter "What is a Foam Party" you will get your answer!

But as you seem to be devoid of any initiative:-

foam par·ty
noun

1. a party, especially in a nightclub, at which guests dance and play in foam or soap suds.

Happy now?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai don't care for electrocutions.

Last week i made a walk in our 7 years old moobaan..It had been raining that day so we walked on the road for safety. Suddenly we heard a loud bang and noticed a lightflash from the walkingtrack...i carefully investigated it and it were naked wires from the lantern which was removed. The wires made a shortcut.

I have warned the project developer for this twice already but they won't make it safe....So we can only wait for an accident to happen.

Trust us, we're Thai.

16 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Thai don't care for electrocutions.

Last week i made a walk in our 7 years old moobaan..It had been raining that day so we walked on the road for safety. Suddenly we heard a loud bang and noticed a lightflash from the walkingtrack...i carefully investigated it and it were naked wires from the lantern which was removed. The wires made a shortcut.

I have warned the project developer for this twice already but they won't make it safe....So we can only wait for an accident to happen.

Trust us, we're Thai.

A large amount of epoxy resin should cover and seal that up nicely.

6 minutes ago, ukrules said:

A large amount of epoxy resin should cover and seal that up nicely.

There are many removed lanterns in our common parks with naked wires like that. Also our pool has electricity right in the overflow at the edges. Just in a grey plastic box which bends if people step on it.

Thailand has the worst electricians i have ever seen, seriously they even can't connect a light properly. They placed a new lantern in our moobaan and they had to come back more than 10 times to get the lightbulb burning daily.

But they place new led-lights in our parks almost every month...Those also work a few weeks only and even can't burn together with the normal lights because the power will drop.

An important Thai person will have to get electrocuted first before the Thai wake up.

What's with this 'bargaining' BS?  Why are charges of criminal negligence, among many others, not being pressed?  The police and justice system in this country are a joke, and until that is corrected, NOTHING will change.

I thought this junta was about reforming the country (for the better).  But all they have done so far is go after the low hanging fruit.  Nothing in the way of serious, and mush needed, reform has happened, and many things are going backwards at light speed (media reform, CCA and les majeste laws, for instance).

First the fallout from Thaksin put the country into a 10 year period of stagnation and now this junta aims to continue the stagnation for another 20 plus years, as well as moving the clock back 50 years, at least.  Thailand is doomed, it has no future.

So in Thailand is it the parents, not the husband, who gets to accept or reject the offer? I understand the concept of blood money but would have thought it was up to the husband, not the family. He might be okay with half a million. A further point, are the parents asking for a million and hoping to keep it all? Or share it with their late daughter's husband? 
My feeling is the parents are gunning for the whole lot and probably trying to get the husband to pay for the funeral as well. 

we will soon get the death toll from the songkran week of madness,and the thai officials will launch yet another campaign to lower the deaths,spot checks ,riding in the back of p/u trucks,reduce liquor sales ,and on and on,,when all that is needed is to make the festival a one day event..but that would lower the cash revenue ..

9 hours ago, seajae said:

one would think the husband should be getting any settlement as is usual anywhere else. I understand the parents are upset but the husband is the direct next of kin then the parents. 

I hear what you say, but the husband has got no chance of getting a fair shake out of this.The next of kin thing doesnt work over here. And i assure you that if it's 1,000,000, then, as he is a felang, and no longer related(not that they ever saw him s family)There will be some guys that will inform him of his rights, which are absolutely <deleted>.I have insured my wife, and i am he only felang in the village, do you honestly think that if something happened to her, i would ever see a penny?  Its just not the same thing here. Normal rules dont apply.And i might even mysteriously vanish.

5 hours ago, smileydude said:

Why even talk about settlement?  If you really value someone's life why not talk to lawyers on how justice can be served in order to prevent the same negligence over and over.   You may be helping many other lives from ending so sadly in doing so or at least if your daughter/wife is looking down at you, she will be at peace that you loved her enough not to let greed overcome what is the right thing to do.

Thais do not look at it this way.They see somebody go to jail but no compensation goes to them,maybe even cost money to lawyer up.I like the USA model.Jail and then go for cival action,could be millions of dollars.Ask OJ.Yes money should go to hubby but unlikely.TIT.If i was hubby i would be asking what she was doing at foam party in the 1st place.

14 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I hear what you say, but the husband has got no chance of getting a fair shake out of this.The next of kin thing doesnt work over here. And i assure you that if it's 1,000,000, then, as he is a felang, and no longer related(not that they ever saw him s family)There will be some guys that will inform him of his rights, which are absolutely <deleted>.I have insured my wife, and i am he only felang in the village, do you honestly think that if something happened to her, i would ever see a penny?  Its just not the same thing here. Normal rules dont apply.And i might even mysteriously vanish.

It is a disgusting state of affairs, yes, but on the other hand a farang can dissapear quickly..

if his Thai missus racks up debt after marriage, which the husband is liable for 50%;

or like a Thai husband..can dissapear not long after he knocks her up without ever paying a satang..

Or just bail out to his own country when he works out the thai missus is bonkers..

Personally i prefer the quick escape option rather than other countries garnisheer your earnings and you have no choice

58 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

One thing I cant figure outs how this lass was the only one who got electrocuted…she couldn't have been the only one in the foam pit when the current ran through it….or was she?

The deadly current was alleged to have run through a metal pole supporting a spotlight which had overheated due to having being turned on since midday.The meltdown had led to the live wire coming loose  and touching one of the poles supporting the spotlight- the same pole which the unfortunate lady held on to for a rest at approx 11.00 pm.

2 minutes ago, bamukloy said:

It is a disgusting state of affairs, yes, but on the other hand a farang can dissapear quickly..

if his Thai missus racks up debt after marriage, which the husband is liable for 50%;

or like a Thai husband..can dissapear not long after he knocks her up without ever paying a satang..

Or just bail out to his own country when he works out the thai missus is bonkers..

Personally i prefer the quick escape option rather than other countries garnisheer your earnings and you have no choice

This is the way it is here. Sadly, the family have now accepted their daughter is dead. A terrible shame, i know, but now the attention is on the money.What ever they get will be theirs ,never his.1,000,000 is a lot of money to Thai people, and their sense of compassion is not strong enough to let that amount of money go.She was lucky enough to have  a felang husband, who would have treated her with the love ad respect that we do.But now that is over and the Thai ethics come into play.I would suggest that he cut his losses, keep a happy face and sat farewell to his 'inlaws' and get home safe.

i know its cruel, but that's the way it is.

1 hour ago, jadee said:

So in Thailand is it the parents, not the husband, who gets to accept or reject the offer? I understand the concept of blood money but would have thought it was up to the husband, not the family. He might be okay with half a million. A further point, are the parents asking for a million and hoping to keep it all? Or share it with their late daughter's husband? 
My feeling is the parents are gunning for the whole lot and probably trying to get the husband to pay for the funeral as well. 

Your feeling could well be very wrong. The initial offer of 30,000 baht by the company was almost certainly for funeral expenses.

Subsequent negotiations  going on now are for compensation for loss of life/earnings the daughter would have provided for the family.

I believe the same sort of claim is common in the West- loss of potential earnings. 

Don't forget there is no social security in Thailand to speak of. If she had been a doctor, or as in this case, married to a Westerner, the  expectations  would have been the same - to help financially support her parents and family.

31 minutes ago, bannork said:

The deadly current was alleged to have run through a metal pole supporting a spotlight which had overheated due to having being turned on since midday.The meltdown had led to the live wire coming loose  and touching one of the poles supporting the spotlight- the same pole which the unfortunate lady held on to for a rest at approx 11.00 pm.

thanks for the details

so the pole must have been isolated from earth.  Surely even thai electrical regs require equipment to be earthed, particularly in commercial set ups?  And of course, the lights to be supplied through breakers that will trip should such a malfunction occur? 

6 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

They asked for one million baht to settle the matter.

What a croak of crap. Do all people place price tags on people`s lives? If it were my daughter no amount of money could ever convince me to lie this case to rest, even if I were dirt poor. First I would look into; was the organiser`s negligence really the cause of my daughter`s death. If not and this was just a tragic accident, then I would forgive the organisers, but if serious negligence were involved, then nothing short of a long prison sentence would satisfy my quest for justice and if not having the funds to take up my own case, then I would be fighting for justice for the rest of my life.

Sadly Thailand and most of its people do not share the same values as you would expect from the Western world.

If I had a son who ran over a killed a cop I would make sure my son got his just deserts and went to jail. If someone killed my son or daughter I would want that person put it jail.

But here its all about the money, and in a way they might be right. Putting the person responsible for their daughters death wont bring her back but a million baht can be spent, 5 years in jail cant.

2 minutes ago, berybert said:

Sadly Thailand and most of its people do not share the same values as you would expect from the Western world.

If I had a son who ran over a killed a cop I would make sure my son got his just deserts and went to jail. If someone killed my son or daughter I would want that person put it jail.

But here its all about the money, and in a way they might be right. Putting the person responsible for their daughters death wont bring her back but a million baht can be spent, 5 years in jail cant.

Sadly Thailand and most of its people do not share the same values as you would expect from the Western world.- they share the same values- they love their children as people do all over the world.

It's just a matter of a small point- there isn't any social security to speak of in Thailand - no government handouts as in the West. No work, no money- these are the values they don't share.

Just now, bannork said:

Sadly Thailand and most of its people do not share the same values as you would expect from the Western world.- they share the same values- they love their children as people do all over the world.

It's just a matter of a small point- there isn't any social security to speak of in Thailand - no government handouts as in the West. No work, no money- these are the values they don't share.

Yes they love their children but in a different way. What would you do if your child and several of his mates cut up a handicapped man. Would you expect him to face justice or would you try to cover it up.

Love doesn't mean allowing your kids to run riot and not give a damn who they hurt.

19 hours ago, scorecard said:

Condolences to all and RIP for the young lady.

I wonder if the venue operator needed / had a license to conduct this type of party?

If it did need a license was there any form of inspection to approve that the set-up was safe, etc?

If it did need a license but none was applied for how come the appropriate authorities are not continuously checking things like this?

With no insurance I guess the answer to most of the above is no...

how can you organise a public event with no insurance cover in this day & age.. incredible!!

Considering the parents have lost a daughter & a man has lost a wife I would take him to court and sue him for every baht he owns!!!

Maybe he will consider insurance in the future!

19 hours ago, scorecard said:

Condolences to all and RIP for the young lady.

I wonder if the venue operator needed / had a license to conduct this type of party?

If it did need a license was there any form of inspection to approve that the set-up was safe, etc?

If it did need a license but none was applied for how come the appropriate authorities are not continuously checking things like this?

Your forgot the big picture. You are talking about Thailand!

Archived