Adnan Lotia: ‘Fun-loving’ web entrepreneur from London is killed on first day of Thailand trip

webfact

Adnan Lotia: ‘Fun-loving’ web entrepreneur from London is killed on first day of Thailand trip

DANIEL O’MAHONY, JOHN DUNNE 
The Evening Standard

kpg.jpg

Motorbike crash: Adnan Lotia was on the Thai holiday island of Koh Phangan when he died

An entrepreneur was killed in a motorcycle crash a day after arriving on a holiday island in Thailand.

Adnan Lotia, 36, from Northolt, was managing director of Theatre Tickets Direct, an online marketplace for West End shows.

A keen sportsman, he had travelled to Koh Phangan for three weeks of boxing training after which he was due to attend a cricket tournament in Phuket. But he was injured in a crash on the island on March 27 and died that day. 

Full story: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/adnan-lotia-funloving-web-entrepreneur-from-london-is-killed-on-first-day-of-thailand-trip-a3517647.html

-- Evening Standard 2017-04-19

13 minutes ago, manarak said:

are there statistics about the number of Thais killed on Thai roads vs. foreigners and then if possible, broken down by nationalities?

I expect these figures would give some insights.

As it is bad for tourism, no, there are no real statistics published.

6 hours ago, manarak said:

are there statistics about the number of Thais killed on Thai roads vs. foreigners and then if possible, broken down by nationalities?

I expect these figures would give some insights.

I found these stats a while ago ... let me see if i can find them on my system for you. Will let you know if i have any success. 

I found these stats a while ago ... let me see if i can find them on my system for you. Will let you know if i have any success. 

Before or after they changed.?
10 years ago they showed everyone who died in traffic, that was not good for business.
Now if you die in hospital after accident, you didn't die in traffic accident.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Any day now the constant bad publicity of road hazards in Thailand will have consequences... any day now!

Because tourists think that riding a bycycle back home is the same as a moped.
Introduce thousands of mopeds in the West at 10 bucks a day and watch the tourists bury themselves

15 minutes ago, cunningstunt said:

Because tourists think that riding a bycycle back home is the same as a moped.
Introduce thousands of mopeds in the West at 10 bucks a day and watch the tourists bury themselves

Mopeds are 50cc and have peddles; I have yet to see one in Thailand.

'Chicken-chasers' are 120+cc and are full-on motorbikes.

43 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Before or after they changed.?
10 years ago they showed everyone who died in traffic, that was not good for business.
Now if you die in hospital after accident, you didn't die in traffic accident.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I found the file I was thinking about and it is a data set of deaths of US citizens abroad: not all foreigners in Thailand, just Americans everywhere! 2002 to 2015

2 minutes ago, todlad said:

I found the file I was thinking about and it is a data set of deaths of US citizens abroad: not all foreigners in Thailand, just Americans everywhere! 2002 to 2015

Foreign road death stats should be available via freedom of information request(s).

RIP as I know you already are...

People die everyday. It doesn't matter what laws are implemented, once people choose to die that's what happens.

And before you you choose to criticize this understanding about the nature of life and death, ask yourself why you don't know about it... :excl:

Getting on a big bike/motorcycle in Thailand is like playing Russian roulette.  It's taking a risk and gambling with your life. 

If I'm going to ride my Harley its definitely not going to be on thai roads.  The disregard for driving etiquette and the value of life itself in Thailand confirms my philosophy that "I'd rather have steel surrounding me then me surrounding the steel(frame)."

42 minutes ago, smileydude said:

Getting on a big bike/motorcycle in Thailand is like playing Russian roulette.  It's taking a risk and gambling with your life. 

If I'm going to ride my Harley its definitely not going to be on thai roads.  The disregard for driving etiquette and the value of life itself in Thailand confirms my philosophy that "I'd rather have steel surrounding me then me surrounding the steel(frame)."

The longer I live here the more anguish I feel when driving anywhere near a motorbike. The most astonishing, to some degree, are the lunatics who ride their bikes on unlit roads with no lights on their bike. No lights at all. Their reflectors are often duff too. Many have a front light but no rear light.

How much do light bulbs cost? How much to save their lives?

Other than that, 100% helmets is often ignored by as much as 100%!

Many, many motorcyclists have never used their mirrors in their lives. Well, if they have, it's a case of manoeuvre ... mirror ... no signal.

Motorcyclists hurtling out of side roads onto the main carriageway without stopping is another one, of course.

The growing menace are the clowns who read messages on their phones as they ride. I don't mean while stationary at traffic lights either. I mean as they ride along.

It is probably true that a good proportion of the motorcyclists who are killed here are killed by bad vehicle drivers. But the contributory negligence factor is another deadly part of the motorcyclist's lives.

I would also like to see the government/manufacturers taking more responsibility.

New motorbikes that start with the side stand down should not be available anymore.

New motorbikes that have a basket on the front so when full block off the headlight should not be available anymore.

These are simple designs that save lives, I'm sure there are more.

Was he a motorbike rider at home ?

even at that most people expect the other drivers to drive with care !

not going to happen in Thailand and throw in bad roads , drinking drivers , rain  and its scary out there ,

I  stay away from motorbikes now as I  have had my "road rash"  days a long time ago

Archived