A fine old mess

Deserted

59 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

stereo vision is needed for depth perception. It is the same with hearing, i hear less well with one ear than with the other consequently i have trouble knowing where a sound is coming from. 

Although i have not played for years, have a game of pool with me, then decide how affected my depth perception is.

As i said earlies, we are talking riding here, not surgery!

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cycling in Bangkok is potentially dangerous, that is why you do not see many people doing it. The OP does it because he is short of money. Add this to living in Bangkok with a family who are dependent on you, on a very limited (or non-existent) income, without insurance or adequate financial resources and you have a recipe for disaster. Sooner or later it will bite you on the bum.

He plays down the fact that he was unconscious for more than 2 hours and that fortunately to date there appear to be no effects. He does not realise his good fortune. If there had been a problem and they had not done the scan / x-rays promptly he would have been screaming very loudly indeed.

He says that his (part-time) job finished in February so presumably he had a wage at the end of Feb (6 or 7 weeks ago). In the meantime his daughter's school fees have cleaned him out, did he not have anything put aside to pay them?? Must have been a well paying part time job if you can pay school fees out of your monthly wage.

I wonder how long he has been here as he seems to have only just discovered (a) that foreigners tend to be discriminated against and (b) The Bumrungrad is primarily a business.

I sympathise with his bad luck and his shock at receiving a bill for 54,000, but feel that he sleepwalked his way into this.

If he had had proper insurance this would never have been an issue.

1 hour ago, chrissables said:

Of course you can judge distances. I can put a bottle of beer to my mouth and have never started pouring before it was in place. :)

It really is not an issue, we are talking riding a motorbike, not surgery. I have in 100,000 at a guess km of riding here had an issue due to one eye.

Chrisables and Deserted must be the same guys and this thread is the best example what "ignorance, mixed with naivety" really means. No problem with the first hospital, because the OP could run away. before the second accident "blacked him a little bit out." 

But not long and others made huge mistakes and he blacked out the second time, unconscious, not knowing what the people were talking about who brought him to a good hospital. How should they've known that he didn't have any insurance?

These bad ambulance car drivers.

The doctors made all wrong, the ambulance drivers brought him to the wrong and too expensive hospital, the hospital made too many and useless medical tests, a Moderator from this page with a great medical background can't be trusted, and people who've spent quite a while to give him the needed advice seem to be dumb idiots. 

What's shocking is that a human being with such a common sense that doesn't seem to exist and I feel really sorry for his hopefully not to school cycling daughter. 

1 minute ago, ajarngreg said:

Chrisables and Deserted must be the same guys and this thread is the best example what "ignorance, mixed with naivety" really means. No problem with the first hospital, because the OP could run away. before the second accident "blacked him a little bit out." 

But not long and others made huge mistakes and he blacked out the second time, unconscious, not knowing what the people were talking about who brought him to a good hospital. How should they've known that he didn't have any insurance?

These bad ambulance car drivers.

The doctors made all wrong, the ambulance drivers brought him to the wrong and too expensive hospital, the hospital made too many and useless medical tests, a Moderator from this page with a great medical background can't be trusted, and people who've spent quite a while to give him the needed advice seem to be dumb idiots. 

What's shocking is that a human being with such a common sense that doesn't seem to exist and I feel really sorry for his hopefully not to school cycling daughter. 

Please explain the what your criticism of me is?

26 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Different banks and branches make up their own rules.

So when you were told (and believed) that the max. age was sixty were you told that this was all branches or just some.

Try the Nakhon Sawan branch.

4 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Please explain the what your criticism of me is?

It's easy to explain, because you don't believe soalbundy's statement regarding your sight with one eye. Nor does the OP seem to get it.

Please have a look here: https://nora.cc/for-patients-mainmenu-34/loss-of-one-eye-mainmenu-70.html

According to Borrish, monocular vision versus binocular vision results in approximately a 25% decrease in the size of the field of view. Monocularity causes an absence of stereopsis which comes from the lack of comparison of retinal disparity present in binocular individuals. Monocular individuals will have decreased visual acuity (compared to their binocular counterparts) because of their lack of binocular summation. Binocular summation is the phenomenon by which people see better with both eyes together than by either eye alone. Monocular people will have an impairment in their orientation (to space) which results from a lack of kinesthetic cues arising from convergence (binocular "eye aiming") and accommodation (focusing). 

24 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

Why are people allowed to drive with one arm? Maybe because it should be allowed if they can proof that they can drive safe?

Are you an NES English teacher.

If so well done.

13 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

It's easy to explain, because you don't believe soalbundy's statement regarding your sight with one eye. Nor does the OP seem to get it.

Please have a look here: https://nora.cc/for-patients-mainmenu-34/loss-of-one-eye-mainmenu-70.html

According to Borrish, monocular vision versus binocular vision results in approximately a 25% decrease in the size of the field of view. Monocularity causes an absence of stereopsis which comes from the lack of comparison of retinal disparity present in binocular individuals. Monocular individuals will have decreased visual acuity (compared to their binocular counterparts) because of their lack of binocular summation. Binocular summation is the phenomenon by which people see better with both eyes together than by either eye alone. Monocular people will have an impairment in their orientation (to space) which results from a lack of kinesthetic cues arising from convergence (binocular "eye aiming") and accommodation (focusing). 

I would agree there is an issue with peripheral vision, i allow for that with a correctly set mirror and frequent use of it.

I ride legally, the licence was not just given to me.

I used to play pool and my ability was the same after as before.

I have ridden  as already stated 100,000 km with no issues due to eyesight.

My comments are based on fact as live with the issue, i am not in denial of anything.

To summarize, i ride legally and safely. And i have no doubt i do so better than you.

Probably took him to that hospital as he was a foreigner and they can speak English, the local hospitals very often have no one who speaks English. As for moaning about the bill just go back and paid. Had you gone to a local hospital and you were mistreated (had you had a problem) due to language you would complain even more. You obviously want everything for free well my friend it doesn't work like that. Pay for insurance, you would probably complain as you pay to get nothing (hopefully) in return. I assume you are from the UK, so if you want everyone else to pay for your problem go back there and let the tax payers foot your bill, otherwise stop bitching.

Stop being a cheap skate and pay the bill.

25 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I would agree there is an issue with peripheral vision, i allow for that with a correctly set mirror and frequent use of it.

I ride legally, the licence was not just given to me.

I used to play pool and my ability was the same after as before.

I have ridden  as already stated 100,000 km with no issues due to eyesight.

My comments are on a fact as live with the issue, i am not in denial of anything.

To summarize, i ride legally and safely. And i have no doubt i do so better than you.

There is a difference between complying with traffic laws - which are set to the lowest common denominator - and riding a bicycle in what is probably one of the most dangerous cities in the world traffic-wise. When you play pool, you're not playing with your life.

You ride legally. You do NOT ride safely, because you reject a piece of personal protective equipment that could save your life in an accident. All in the name of personal freedumb.

You've stated you are self-insured. Is there enough money in the kitty to support you if you became a quadriplegic?

At least the OP has the excuse he is too poor to afford more expensive means of transport. You don't.

I'm just hoping your selfish and self-absorbed risk-taking does not rebound on you. As the Greeks used to say, hubris is invariably followed by nemesis.

42 minutes ago, rott said:

So when you were told (and believed) that the max. age was sixty were you told that this was all branches or just some.

Try the Nakhon Sawan branch.

I was not told by anybody, I have read in Thaivisa a few times over the years, did I say the maximum age was sixty? I could not have as the poster who I was answering is sixty three, I would assume that in most cases it would be seventy.

I could try the Nakhon Sawan branch out of curiosity as I live near there. Now which bank, and which branch?

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I was not told by anybody, I have read in Thaivisa a few times over the years, did I say the maximum age was sixty? I could not have as the poster who I was answering is sixty three, I would assume that in most cases it would be seventy.

I could try the Nakhon Sawan branch out of curiosity as I live near there. Now which bank, and which branch?

My post ID 237 quotes you as saying that you were told the maximum age was 60.

As the original bank discussed was the Bangkok Bank it is they to whom I refer.

The branch is on Sawanvittee Road on the LHS about a minute after Fairyland, opp V Square and the Vitteethep Hotel. Friendly bunch, but a Thai speaker accompanying you also helps. If your knowledge of NS is limited let me know.

24 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

There is a difference between complying with traffic laws - which are set to the lowest common denominator - and riding a bicycle in what is probably one of the most dangerous cities in the world traffic-wise. When you play pool, you're not playing with your life.

You ride legally. You do NOT ride safely, because you reject a piece of personal protective equipment that could save your life in an accident. All in the name of personal freedumb.

You've stated you are self-insured. Is there enough money in the kitty to support you if you became a quadriplegic?

At least the OP has the excuse he is too poor to afford more expensive means of transport. You don't.

I'm just hoping your selfish and self-absorbed risk-taking does not rebound on you. As the Greeks used to say, hubris is invariably followed by nemesis.

I don't make the laws, and i am not breaking any laws.

The city which i ride in in none of your business and <deleted> knows why you think it is!

As you have never met me, you are in no position to remark on my riding ability, stop being a <deleted>.

It is my life, and what i do affects nobody but me, keep you stupid  moronic views to yourself and stick to facts.

My finances are nobodies business, especially yours you <deleted>.

I require no excuses, and certainly no explanation to an ignorant person such as you.

2 minutes ago, rott said:

My post ID 237 quotes you as saying that you were told the maximum age was 60.

As the original bank discussed was the Bangkok Bank it is they to whom I refer.

The branch is on Sawanvittee Road on the LHS about a minute after Fairyland, opp V Square and the Vitteethep Hotel. Friendly bunch, but a Thai speaker accompanying you also helps. If your knowledge of NS is limited let me know.

I know exactly where it is, my knowledge of Nakhon Sawan is quite good, I was a teacher at Satri Nakhon Sawan school about 2 Ks from the bank up near Big C.

1 minute ago, chrissables said:

I don't make the laws, and i am not breaking any laws.

The city which i ride in in none of your business and <deleted> knows why you think it is!

As you have never met me, you are in no position to remark on my riding ability, stop being a <deleted>.

It is my life, and what i do affects nobody but me, keep you stupid  moronic views to yourself and stick to facts.

My finances are nobodies business, especially yours you <deleted>.

I require no excuses, and certainly no explanation to an ignorant person such as you.

Charming. You must make friends wherever you go.

Before you accuse someone of being ignorant, I'd suggest checking your posts for grammar, spelling and punctuation.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I know exactly where it is, my knowledge of Nakhon Sawan is quite good, I was a teacher at Satri Nakhon Sawan school about 2 Ks from the bank up near Big C.

In case it is of interest there is a shop up Dawadeong by the Thai Hotel selling a range of pies, teabags and the like. Still in the process of opening so not yet fully sorted.

1 minute ago, bazza73 said:

Charming. You must make friends wherever you go.

Before you accuse someone of being ignorant, I'd suggest checking your posts for grammar, spelling and punctuation.

His punctuation seems reasonably on the mark to me, but I am ready to stand corrected.

If this forum is any guide, after more than a century (I think) of compulsory free education, standards of literacy are abysmal. People seem proud of a lack of ability to spell properly. Not commenting on your mate here, just a general observation.

We are being slowly taken over by the "could of / should of / would of" brigade.

Archived