Husband dies after last meal of Som Tam brought to him by his wife

webfact

Husband dies after last meal of Som Tam brought to him by his wife

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- A 52 year old man died in Pathum Thani after going into shock following a meal of Som Tam (Papaya Salad) and chicken.

Noi Bunfak had just finished some renovations to his elder sister's shop in Soi Thammasuthee in Muang district when his wife Yupha suggested they go home, reported Thai Rath.

But Noi, from Thai Koh, Sam Khok, was hungry and sent his wife off to buy some noodles.

She couldn't find any for sale so Noi ordered a fiery hot plate of Som Tam with crabs and fermented fish that he consumed on her return.

However, he then went into shock and started gagging. His sister Bunnam Khowin, 54, gave his some whacks on his back and some strands of papaya flew out but the man then slumped to the ground and could not be revived.

Police who attended the scene found strips of papaya on the dead man's shoes but no other signs of injury.

The body was sent for autopsy.

The victim was known to suffer from a heart condition but police are not sure whether it was that or his final meal, or a combination of both, that led to his death.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-20

7 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Sadly, people die every day. I'm not sure what makes this case newsworthy.

True.  And I wouldn't be surprised if some of them actually do die from complications linked to papaya salad laced with rotten fish and mud crabs from who knows where, prepared in the good old "dirty kitchen".   I don't do street food or local market food anymore, even reluctant to have a quick 35 Baht lunch at the local noodle shop.   

I would suspect the fish was bad and severe salmonella had developed.

Possibly dirty utensils, and dirty mortar and pestle. 

His stomach had an immediate reaction similar to a poison being taken ....

He would not have had much chance even if they have minor first aid training.

The patient would require a dose of salty water to induce vomiting immediately

I think it is far more likely to be simple choking. Quick application of the Heimlich manouver may well have made the difference.

Reasons?

1.He was thai and familiar with som tum. no one else in the household suffered

2. 'whacked on the back and noodles flew out'

3. 'started gagging.'

5 hours ago, 55Jay said:

True.  And I wouldn't be surprised if some of them actually do die from complications linked to papaya salad laced with rotten fish and mud crabs from who knows where, prepared in the good old "dirty kitchen".   I don't do street food or local market food anymore, even reluctant to have a quick 35 Baht lunch at the local noodle shop.   

A Thai mate of mine eats somtam at my local restaurant , when I see the black crabs being torn apart and dropped in the pestle and mortar and then him/her sucking the bits off the legs I have to look away , all the good food here and they eat crabs from the rice fields !

46 minutes ago, fantom said:

I think it is far more likely to be simple choking. Quick application of the Heimlich manouver may well have made the difference.

Reasons?

3. 'started gagging.'

Som Tum Bpoo has tiny crab shell shards throughout.  If I was going to be a betting man, I'd say a pice clawed its way into his throat.

As  yet  an unexplained  death.

However I  have  convinced  my  wife  that  I  would  die if  I ate som  tum!

Not simply  because  of  the  reeking   fish sauce  or  the  dubious crab.

Both of these  ingredients are  enough to  remove any appetite.

But  fortunately  or  unfortunately  I am  one of those  individuals  who  simply  cannot  cope  with  chillies.

More  than a  mere  hint  of them  removes  my senses  of  both  taste  and  smell  for  several hours  as  well as  inducing   extreme intestinal pain.

I  remain  unimpressed  by the  sad  masochist self inflicted  tears  and  complaints  of   "   jep  jep"  followed  by  "aroi".

3 hours ago, fantom said:

Reasons?

3. 'started gagging.'

The Heimlich maneuver, they couldn't even spell it, let alone use it. Even the elite Thais think its a chess move.

1 minute ago, Dumbastheycome said:

As  yet  an unexplained  death.

However I  have  convinced  my  wife  that  I  would  die if  I ate som  tum!

Not simply  because  of  the  reeking   fish sauce  or  the  dubious crab.

Both of these  ingredients are  enough to  remove any appetite.

But  fortunately  or  unfortunately  I am  one of those  individuals  who  simply  cannot  cope  with  chillies.

More  than a  mere  hint  of them  removes  my senses  of  both  taste  and  smell  for  several hours  as  well as  inducing   extreme intestinal pain.

I  remain  unimpressed  by the  sad  masochist self inflicted  tears  and  complaints  of   "   jep  jep"  followed  by  "aroi".

I hate it when ive been cutting up chili's for a meal, and i wipe my eye with the chili holding hand. ouch!

2 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I hate it when ive been cutting up chili's for a meal, and i wipe my eye with the chili holding hand. ouch!

Brave  man !I  have  seen  a  young  girl who  always  wears  swimming  goggles  when  handling  chillies. Maybe  she is  my  alternative  soul  mate?  lol

10 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Brave  man !I  have  seen  a  young  girl who  always  wears  swimming  goggles  when  handling  chillies. Maybe  she is  my  alternative  soul  mate?  lol

There you go Dummers. Goggles are your friend.:smile:

Nasty stuff - can't stand it but love most other Thai food. Needless to say the missus and all love it , nay are addicted to it and the tok,tok,tok of the preparation. Shouldn't knock it for it always comes out top when the recurring thread of what has Thailand ever invented comes up. RIP to the poor fella - autopsy report - cause of death - Som Tam.

13 hours ago, fantom said:

Reasons?

3. 'started gagging.'

I don't think Thais are familiar with the "Heimlich maneuver"  even in Pattaya you might get a strange look !

Not surprised at all. My ex girlfriend studied hotel and catering "management" at http://a-tech.aksorn.ac.th/2014aksorn/. Yet in those 3-4 years she had not learned to wash hands before starting to cook. Once after having stomach problems and feeling sick for several days I found a 3 week old pack of ground pork in the vegetable box of the fridge and tried to start a discussion of bacteria and germs with her.. I could have as well been speaking Greek to her, there was just this normal "yes darling, I understand" smile on her face that the Thais do when they are

- too lazy to think

- too busy updating their social media profiles or watching their favourite soap operas on TV

- too drunk after having too many glasses of lousy "whiskey" diluted with soda

Which is often, I would say in 99% of everyday life situations.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:35 PM, steven100 said:

I would suspect the fish was bad and severe salmonella had developed.

Possibly dirty utensils, and dirty mortar and pestle. 

His stomach had an immediate reaction similar to a poison being taken ....

He would not have had much chance even if they have minor first aid training.

The patient would require a dose of salty water to induce vomiting immediately

I had to laugh when I read this. 

Salmonella, or any food poisoning are not going to produce instant death. Salmonella would take a minimum of 6 hours.  Nope …. That leaves a pre existing condition; heart attack, stroke, or something else. That something else can indeed be some “condiment” added to the Som Tom. Uh oh, oh no. Oh Yes!

TV Johnny detective squad assemble! You have work to do.

13 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

I had to laugh when I read this. 

Salmonella, or any food poisoning are not going to produce instant death. Salmonella would take a minimum of 6 hours.  Nope …. That leaves a pre existing condition; heart attack, stroke, or something else. That something else can indeed be some “condiment” added to the Som Tom. Uh oh, oh no. Oh Yes!

TV Johnny detective squad assemble! You have work to do.

Pleased don't spoil the fun of the informed experts.

Archived