Sunset with new toy.

jack2964

I've only ever used long lenses till a few days back when I took delivery from Lazada a cheapo Canon 50mm f1.8 STM.

Unable to find a willing subject, I took it out to my neighbourhood dam and tried my hand in capturing the sunset.

Please critique freely as to the composition, framing etc and also the post processing bits. I've incuded the 'raw' original but converted to jpeg.

I used ACR only tweaking White balance, Contrast, Shadows, Highlights, Clarity, Vibrance and Saturation and probably some other sliders I can't remember now.

Gear used: 7D; Man mode; ISO250; F5.6; SS 1/400

sunset01.JPG

sunset02.jpg

I know....I wanted to capture the twin columns of cloud and I was already at the edge of the dam. But just for this time please ignore the lampost. :saai:

Thanks Kinnock I do have other shots minus the lamppost and twin cloud columns. Would like to read comments if I have over saturated during PP.

• 1 year later...

I agree in that a sunset is usually in a context of where you are etc. If you remove the lamppost you just have a sky but nice colours

• 5 months later...

For me the shadows in the bottom is overdone. You got this white area over the trees and also the bottom of the famous lampposts get more clear. 

But else it is nice colors.

Overdone.JPG

Archived