Aluminium or PVC ??

thequietman

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This topic has been done to death over the years! why don't you search forum - I will do it for you:-  If you have any questions thereafter? there are more threads - lots of em! :shock1:

Actually, you have a third choice, good quality hardwood.

Yes it needs maintenance, but it looks so much better than either of the modern alternatives.

Labour is cheap here, pay a man to rub down and re-finish (with good quality materials) every couple of years.

Actually, you have a third choice, good quality hardwood.

Yes it needs maintenance, but it looks so much better than either of the modern alternatives.

Labour is cheap here, pay a man to rub down and re-finish (with good quality materials) every couple of years.

The problem with hardwood is the the wood expands and shrinks. So your your windows newer will work properly.

38 minutes ago, juehoe said:

The problem with hardwood is the the wood expands and shrinks. So your your windows newer will work properly.

Ours are mai daeng fixed frames with teak moving frames. Whilst there is some seasonal movement they have never stuck or let big wildlife in.

They are also on friction stays rather than conventional hinges which may (or may not) help with any sticking issues. It also means you can clean the outside from inside. No ladder needed.

These:-

window-hinge-replacement.jpg

Ours are mai daeng fixed frames with teak moving frames. Whilst there is some seasonal movement they have never stuck or let big wildlife in.

They are also on friction stays rather than conventional hinges which may (or may not) help with any sticking issues. It also means you can clean the outside from inside. No ladder needed.

These:-

window-hinge-replacement.jpg.6b68f220691dd3981a7bffc44a424c87.jpg

I generally agree - but the problem is to find a skilled carpenter and good dried wood. Additional, it is just impossible to get wood from sustainable sources (FSC label).

I very like wood - but I wouldn't recommend it for every one. It is not easy to maintain.

Our house in Hua Hin (2008) has several wooden elements (inside and outside). They look nice but the maintenance is boring.

My next house won't have any wooden elements.

I prefer aluminium windows (we have high quality windows from Sunparadise). I also looking at the uPVC windows because they offer 2 glazing. Sunparadise don't produce them (yet), but other companies are starting to enter the Thai market.

My next house is some years away and until then I will have more choices.

I am also finding wood a nuisance. A final planing down a few month ago to fit the ironmongery and now they have shrunk making the tower bolts too difficult to budge.

I certainly dont want to be re drilling for shoot bolts.

I even experienced windows opening by themselves as they shrunk against the bolts......the wife says "thats ridiculous we must have a ghost"

I do love wood however and would suffer inconvenience to have it but second choice would be pvc if i could afford it.

Does PVC or UPVC hold up to the tropical sun?  For how long?

The expensive brands give a warranty of 10 years (on white frames).

Anyway, it is alway good, when the windows are shadowed and not exposed to sunlight.

I like many aspects of the uPVC windows but the limited warranty is an issue. Aluminium windows should last longer.

Our Sunparadise windows from 2008 always look as new.

The disadvantages of any type of frame (uPVC, aluminum, wood) has to do with buying cheap frames rather than the material itself. In the USA for instance, you may be surprised to know some of the very finest window frames you can buy are made from wood and are highly sought after. Things like seasonal expansion and shrinkage are designed in such that they always operate perfectly. But if you buy a cheap wood frame in Thailand then guess what? When it dries there are gaps and when moisture is high it binds. This is not because you bought a wood frame, but because you bought a cheap wood frame. The person who made them didn't stop to consider anything about seasonal movement. You wanted cheap, he made it cheap.

Does PVC or UPVC hold up to the tropical sun?

Good question and here again this is a price issue, not a material issue. Good uPVC frames guarantee the color for 10 years. Cheap frames can yellow out very quickly.

@canopy agree 100%.

Our hardwood frames were definitely not cheap, which probably explains why we've had no issue with them apart from those that get full sun needing to be re-finished (not unexpected). We have 60 (yes sixty) opening windows, none have ever stuck or let in wildlife.**

Our condo had aluminium frames, no real problem, had UPVC in the UK, looked yuk (cheap, bulky and white), but they were better than the steel (yes steel) frames they replaced (council funded replacement).

Our home just wouldn't look right with anything other than wood, so we live with the "inconvenience" of having a natural material.

** Actually, our top-hung bathroom windows, which spend 99.999% of the time open, mostly won't close because those mud-daubing wasps make their homes on the frame, not the window's fault.

If I was going on a price / performance only basis it would be aluminium every time. No issues with corrosion, not affected by UV, reasonably low cost, maximum glass area (slim frames).

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

If I was going on a price / performance only basis it would be aluminium every time. No issues with corrosion, not affected by UV, reasonably low cost, maximum glass area (slim frames).

+1

I lived in a beachfront complex in Vietnam for 18 months, initially in a unit with wood frames and then later moved to a unit with aluminium frames...the marine environment was harsh and unforgiving...when it was nice it was very, very nice but when it was bad it was horrible...the unit with wood frames was like a wind tunnel but the unit with aluminium frames provided a positive seal and that's why I moved to the other unit...

check out the photo...same application but with different materials...

084.jpg

10 hours ago, Crossy said:

Our home just wouldn't look right with anything other than wood, so we live with the "inconvenience" of having a natural material

First let me say that I love the look and feel of wood, second, the house plans we chose to build would also not look right (IMO) with white UPVC or alum windows.

These are the window that the plans call for, and some one else that build the same house has used.

I agree that wood windows can be made well if some one is willing to pay for it, but just because some one pays more it does not guaranty that you get a better product,

So the question is, How does one go about getting better wood window? especially some one who does not know a lot about wood windows in Thailand, and does not have a lot of time to invests ( very busy with work) but dont mind paying a little more. When In Thailand we are in Khon Kaen and plan to start building in property we own, this Fall .

I appreciate any and all advice

PS: not to hijack this thread, which is about UPVC or alum windows, perhaps a PM with advice might be more appropriate. 

window.PNG

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

So the question is, How does one go about getting better wood window? especially some one who does not know a lot about wood windows in Thailand, and does not have a lot of time to invests ( very busy with work) but dont mind paying a little more. When In Thailand we are in Khon Kaen and plan to start building in property we own, this Fall .

It's not just about wood, the same applies for aluminium or PVC. Personal recommendation, see the installed result, if possible visit the factory.

It's all very well sitting in a glossy sales booth with a pretty lady telling you all about the product, but the engineer in me wants to see (and talk to) the chaps making the stuff, look at the materials, you know the sort of thing.

I like to get a feel for whether they take a pride in their work or are they just banging out product with no real quality control.

Our windows, doors, roof braces (decorative only), gable vents and barge boards were custom made by two small outfits in Bang Pahan (Ayutthaya) which were recommended by our contractor. Half a dozen employees and a long waiting list, has to be good.

post-14979-0-46534400-1326981687.jpgpost-14979-0-33600300-1326981526.jpg

post-14979-0-61965000-1326981557.jpgpost-14979-0-79903700-1326981702.jpg

post-14979-0-98309300-1326981694.jpg

We used aluminium custom measured and fitted by a local (in the sticks) chap. The frames and windows are working well after 10 years but some of the plastic locking slides are getting sticky.

Quick application of dry lube has worked.

Sometimes I think that no choice is the best choice. Worked for us.

15 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

+1

I lived in a beachfront complex in Vietnam for 18 months, initially in a unit with wood frames and then later moved to a unit with aluminium frames...the marine environment was harsh and unforgiving...when it was nice it was very, very nice but when it was bad it was horrible...the unit with wood frames was like a wind tunnel but the unit with aluminium frames provided a positive seal and that's why I moved to the other unit...

check out the photo...same application but with different materials...

084.jpg

"Vung Tau" ???

I'm voting for hardwood, use one of the ten precious woods and they will be impervious to bugs and weather PLUS they act as a thermal break between the building and the glass, that way heat from one or the other wont transfer.

7 hours ago, weegee said:

"Vung Tau" ???

nah...north central coast, Ky Anh district, Ha Tinh province near the border with Quang Binh...unseen Vietnam...

lord knows where they got folks to make them alum window frames...mostly farmers with cone hats and oxcarts around there...

I have just installed upvc windows in our soon to be finished house. I researched company's and products for 6 months and provided you don't go with the cheap Chinese profiles you won't suffer from discoloration issues. Figure to pay an average of 10-11k per square meter for good quality upvc. Decent quality alluminium will cost 5-7k. 

Sun parididse are the most expensive alluminium windows in Thailand but the quality is probably the best in Thailand. When I renovated my condo I replaced some windows with sun paradise windows and the cost was around 17k per square meter. I would say that my upvc windows in my recent build are better than the sun paridise windows and my average cost was Just over 10k per square meter.

38 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

Sun parididse are the most expensive alluminium windows in Thailand but the quality is probably the best in Thailand.

They may be the best but they dont answer emails or requests for quotes made via their website.

I've spent a lot of time over the past four years trying to find someone to fit good quality replacement aluminium double-glazed patio windows and have been remarkably unsuccessful. Few places respond to enquiries, or respond without paying any attention at all as to what was asked for. Those that do respond are rarely equipped with good quality materials, and those that do have good quality materials ask for preposterously high prices often three or four times what the same thing would cost in the west. It's just a window for pity's sake.

uPVC is far too clunky and cheap-looking for my taste.

On 4/24/2017 at 6:30 PM, impulse said:

Does PVC or UPVC hold up to the tropical sun?  For how long?

The last house we lived in, we had UPVC windows for about five years, we have been in this house for three years with no discoloration! - apart from one frame in present house that changed colour in less than a year, the installer changed the frame with no quibbles! I realised after the replacement frame started to change colour that it was being caused by the rain run off from a exterior set of stairs, after redirecting water been no further problems for the past years.

I believe if a home builder or home owner wanted to see and examine good quality windows and doors they should go in person for at least one day, if not two days to Bangkok and spend time at the Architect Expo. It is no cost to enter, no one will pressure you to buy a thing, and you can really examine all types of quality doors and windows. This event is next week and you can register on line. 

http://www.architectexpo.com/2017/?lang=en

I live in a 3 storey shophouse right opposite a beach.. Aluminium sections corrode badly, especially the joints that use steel inserts - not good for more than a few years.  Roller wheels, etc. seize very rapidly.  I replaced a sliding mossie screen and the wheels seized in less than 12 months.

The "hinges" like those shown earlier in this thread are all rusted solid (I have these on aluminium section windows), but I have no idea how old they are - maybe 10+.

But I'm only renting so unwilling to replace anything with good quality UPVC, which are recommended by other close by.

I have just installed upvc windows in our soon to be finished house. I researched company's and products for 6 months and provided you don't go with the cheap Chinese profiles you won't suffer from discoloration issues. Figure to pay an average of 10-11k per square meter for good quality upvc. Decent quality alluminium will cost 5-7k. 

Sun parididse are the most expensive alluminium windows in Thailand but the quality is probably the best in Thailand. When I renovated my condo I replaced some windows with sun paradise windows and the cost was around 17k per square meter. I would say that my upvc windows in my recent build are better than the sun paridise windows and my average cost was Just over 10k per square meter.

Thanks for this advice.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

House purchased in Pattaya, years ago came with aluminium window are all still intact and working, the only problems are the screens and the springs that hold them to the frame.

After a few years I decided to build a addition next to the main house since I had a neighbor who live nearby and had a PVC factory I got a pretty good deal from him. Attractive to me since in the States all the homes I've purchased I replace with double pane PVC, always had good results for reduction in noise and insulation. 

Even getting a big discount I still thought they were expensive, but much thicker and strong. After a while I was thinking I wouldn't do it again unless the house had a insulated roof otherwise what is the real point in PVC especially in Thailand and your roof isn't insulated? Am I wrong.

Best choice in Thailand for windows and doors are uPVC.

But as said not the cheap once.

The once form ARC-Component-Manufacturing are from the German brand VEKA are very good and last much longer as the 10 years warranty.

There have also mulit-look and are real protection against burglary and with double glazing a energie safer over the years.

Have a look at there website.

Archived