Which Visa

The greatest degree of flexibility would be achieved by getting a Non Immigrant O-A visa. It allows unrestricted trips in and out of Thailand for a year and, up to a further year in practice, depending on whether it is convenient to do a final entry for a one-year permission to stay (and reentry permit) just before the visa expires. Unfortunately, some of the requirements that must be satisfied before an O-A visa is issued are pretty annoying.

The obvious alternative, requiring much fewer conditions to be met, is a Non Immigrant O entry and one-year extension of stay. The main drawback is needing to be in Thailand at the right time to apply for the extension (also unless starting the process again in subsequent years).

Depending on just how much time you intend to spend in Thailand, tourist visas may also be a viable option.

As said the OA long stay visa is an option. Requirements are here on the embassy in DC website. http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/ You also apply for it at the consulates in New York, Chicago or Los Angles.

You could also get a single entry non-o visa from one of the honorary consulate in the states and then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration here.. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

3 minutes ago, bangkokbanjo said:

Ok thanks. Im in thailand now but headed home to nyc this week. I use the consulate in nyc.

You could apply for the OA visa there. See: https://www.thaicgny.com/ภาษาอ-งกฤษ-english-version/visa-service/doc-non-im-oa/

For a non-o visa you would have to apply at one one of the honorary consulates. http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

4 minutes ago, bangkokbanjo said:

Im pretty sure i could apply for any visa in nyc, including the non O visa. Based on the info, ill be doing the oa visa. Makes more sense i think than the retirement visa. If you can think of a reason why retirement visa is a better choice then the oa visa, please let me know

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If you look at the visa directory on their website you will only see non-o visas for family visits. The will not do a non-o for being 50 or over only the OA visa.

The OA visa is a good option. The only difficulty with it is the medical check and background check.

1 minute ago, bangkokbanjo said:

Interesting, since that is one of the main consulates. I wonder why

It  is that way at about all embassies and official consulates. They will only issue a OA visa to those 50 or over for retirement.

The honorary consulates cannot issue the OA visa but can issue a single entry non-o visa.

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you look at the visa directory on their website you will only see non-o visas for family visits. The will not do a non-o for being 50 or over only the OA visa.

The OA visa is a good option. The only difficulty with it is the medical check and background check.

At the NYC consulate, the background check (I live in NJ) was $40 and took about 3 days, the medical check I did in Bangkok at a cost of 300 baht and was accepted by NYC consulate without issue. Took 14 days from receipt at NYC to receipt back to me.

im in similar situation. but im confused by how much ive read! dont you need a medical check from home in order to apply for the oa visa?

The medical checkup from your home country is the norm yes but it can be done in Thailand too.

Like the previous poster tonray I did mine in Thailand, print out the medical check sheet ( it's in English and Thai) , go to your local hospital or clinic and have a few checks, took me less than an hour and cost 360 baht.

Mine was accepted at Thai embassy in London for O-A visa.

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The medical checkup from your home country is the norm yes but it can be done in Thailand too.
Like the previous poster I did mine in Thailand, print out the medical check sheet ( it's in English and Thai) , go to your local hospital or clinic and have a few checks, took me less than an hour and cost 360 baht.
Mine was accepted at Thai embassy in London for O-A visa.

i'll need to do it here as i will be applying for the visa while still in the uk.