Feeling unwelcome in LOS

17 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

We live in a non touristy area in (almost) the middle of nowhere.

I feel very welcomed by my wife's tropical garden, the climate (September-March), the house & swimming pool that I built.

The local Thais (incl family) are neither particularly welcoming or non welcoming - I have little in common with most of them. I concentrate on a few and ignore the rest.

The government officials are very unwelcoming, but hey, they don't even welcome their own countrymen..... 

As for the touristy places, I have never been there, but I guess they are full of money hungry Thais trying to take advantage of sex & alcohol hungry farangs. Not my problem.

April - august we spend in Europe - another part of the world that is neither particularly welcoming or unwelcoming.

I agree, we live 6.5 months in Spain and the rest here.

Spain make us welcome, there are free Spanish lessons in the evenings for those who want them.

My wife applied for residency, yes, there were a lot of hoops to jump through and it took almost 6 months to do but....

She needs no paperwork to stay or travel/re-enter for 5 years.

At that time the renewal of her residents ID should be routine and almost free - same for Spanish people.

It would be nice if Thailand gave me the same privileges.....

The Thai language is not easy to learn, reading/writing is not hard but that skill does not help understanding too much.

Spanish is much easier although we live in a predominantly Spanish environ and we tend not to get foreigners during the high seasons - it's very traditionally Spanish.

My Thai wife speaks very little Spanish but she gets round easily with her English.

We will be back there in a few days for our summer stint.

The reason for me to be in Thailand at all, is to keep my wife happy!

I haven't visited my home country for 7 years and I miss seeing family and friends but,,,,, they often visit us in Spain so not too bad.

If my Thai wife was not able to connect with Thai family, friends, life, culture etc., I'm sure she would quickly go mad.

(A bit like I feel after about 3-4 months LOL)

Until world currencies crash, we shall continue to split our time like this (oh, pending some horrible illness etc.)

I will also sat that I have a number of Thai friends and most of them are ashamed at the dangers to foreigners here, traffic accidents, robbery, murder and a lot more.

There are times in Thailand that I would not feel safe, places I would never go alone or be disabled by drink or in the early hours etc.

Pure asking for trouble.

I don't feel like that in Spain.

About 3 years ago we had a Danish couple come visit us and together we traveled across the south of Spain, and to Gibraltar.

They said that they felt safer than in Copenhagen and they could hardly believe that we could be out at night at 2 or 3 am and enjoy beer (or wine) and Tapas, or ice cream and only see other people just enjoying themselves.

There you are, Happy Wife, Happy Life.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been coming to thailand for the past five years 4 to 7 months at the time, and to retire here hen I start thinking about my pension is decreasing versus the exchange so it could become almost impossible to cover the  medical expenses if there was a need.

So at 70 yrs old I ill continue to vacation and go back to my country and keep my rights to be old and have some protection as well.

The choice is not hard to make.

Thailand has changed so much over the many decades that I have lived here and some for the better and others not. I have never felt unwelcome or faced unfriendly Thais except on one occasion involving a bank manager. She did not like 'farangs' and indicated so to my wife but I kept quiet because we needed her signature which we eventually got. 

To stay happy in Thailand one has to go with the flow as they say. Those things that used to bother me just don't any more because I have come to realize- I can't change them. I just try and laugh and shake my head even when getting cut off on the highway. Thais have to solve their countries problems and not foreigners.

One thing that hasn't changed is the lot of the poor and Thailand has plenty of them working at jobs that pay minimum wage or just above.  Yet, they still manage a smile and a joke. These are the real Thais- not the Hi So ones that drive about in their expensive cars with heavy film so they can't be seen or see the rest of mankind.

10 years ago, my wife came to Belgium for the first time - for 6 months.

Ever since we spent every year 5 months in Europe, mostly travelling, with no visa hassles.

My wife was made to feel welcome by our government.......

>>> permanent resident from day 1, it only took a short visit to the city administration

>>> automatically permanent Schengen travel allowed

>>> an invitation letter to learn dutch for FREE - the letter was written in THAI!

>>> my wife gets free entry in our city's musea and parks - as she is a local - hehehe my sister who lives in a different city has to pay

>>> my wife is covered by our national health insurance, she even got money back after a visit to the dentist in THAILAND

>>> she can own land or start a business like everybody else

Furthermore everybody try their best to speak English with her, many ask her to cook Thai food for them. At our first visit to our doctor, he got his laptop and googled Chanthaburi (where we live in Thailand)

Perhaps this is not an answer to the OP question, but yes, my wife was made to feel welcome in Belgium.

On second thoughts, maybe this IS an answer to the OP question.

Just now, oldhippy said:

10 years ago, my wife came to Belgium for the first time - for 6 months.

Ever since we spent 5 months in Europe, mostly travelling, with no visa hassles.

My wife was made to feel welcome by our government.......

>>> permanent resident from day 1, it only took a short visit to the city administration

>>> automatically permanent Schengen travel allowed

>>> an invitation letter to learn dutch for FREE - the letter was written in THAI!

>>> my wife gets free entry in our city's musea and parks - as she is a local - hehehe my sister who lives in a different city has to pay

>>> my wife is covered by our national health insurance, she even got money back after a visit to the dentist in THAILAND

>>> she can own land or start a business like everybody else

Furthermore everybody try their best to speak English with her, many ask her to cook Thai food for them. At our first visit to our doctor, he got his laptop and googled Chanthaburi (where we live in Thailand)

Perhaps this is not an answer to the OP question, but yes, my wife was made to feel welcome in Belgium.

On second thoughts, maybe this IS an answer to the OP question.

Not really sure what to make of this post. So it could be reasoned some people staying here are unhappy because they are trading what they feel are basic human rights in order to be a bit financially better off? 

We live in a non touristy area in (almost) the middle of nowhere.

I feel very welcomed by my wife's tropical garden, the climate (September-March), the house & swimming pool that I built.
The local Thais (incl family) are neither particularly welcoming or non welcoming - I have little in common with most of them. I concentrate on a few and ignore the rest.
The government officials are very unwelcoming, but hey, they don't even welcome their own countrymen..... 
As for the touristy places, I have never been there, but I guess they are full of money hungry Thais trying to take advantage of sex & alcohol hungry farangs. Not my problem.

April - august we spend in Europe - another part of the world that is neither particularly welcoming or unwelcoming.

Your wife's tropical garden....nicely put 555
By the way I am Belgian to :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, laislica said:

^^

OP,I think you rather missed the point.......

Read the post again perhaps?

Read it again still can't really figure out how it relates to people being unhappy and staying in Thailand? It sounds like the guy moved to Belgium because of how welcoming it is there and I understand that.

I think it is possible to get the best out of a long stay in Thailand if you just actively avoid the negative factors, and take a realistic approach to your status here:

1) Do not buy property, simply rent.

2) Avoid marriage ... except perhaps a non-legal ceremony.

3) Keep your funds out of the country, do not invest in businesses or other schemes.

4) Use the visa system as an excuse to visit neighbouring countries in the region.

5) Work within the visa rules.

6) Keep a low profile, and if you are reasonably wealthy don't show it.

7) Be friendly, don't get upset by small matters or engage in confrontations with people, particularly Thais.

8) Have a back up plan and leave the door open to returning to your home country or another of your choosing.

No pont in complaining about Thai laws ... you are not Thai and will never be accepted as such. Who cares? I wouldn't want to be. Enjoy your time in Thailand and try to work the rules to suit yourself. And importantly, avoid being one of the many foreign "victims". 

1 minute ago, anotheruser said:

Read it again still can't really figure out how it relates to people being unhappy and staying in Thailand? It sounds like the guy moved to Belgium because of how welcoming it is there and I understand that.

It is probably my poor English skills that confuse you.

I first came to Thailand 10 years ago, got married,  wife (thai)  & I spent every year 5 months in Belgium, 7 months in Thailand.

My point is that my wife was made feel welcome in Belgium, by both our government and people.

Whereas.....

There is a saying if you dont like it move out

correct many ex pats are  on beer at 9 am seen it  not very convincing for the Thai community

Came across a ex pat at big c last month complaining that there was no salami, bacon was fat  this no good that no good then the shit hit the fan at the checkout he could not get his beer cos was wrong time of day  as the sign stated in thai and in english

winge winge decided to  leave all there and walk away store manager politely asked him take the stuf back and then go please i felt imbarresed to be living here as an ex pat   this guy was so impolite that he was near to getting lifted by the police

his wife was no different either also farang  a mouth like the channel tunnel

i am not supprised that some people feel not wanted in thailand

but see the bright side if u do how they want and sometimes that pretty tough visa wise   all is ok 89 days no hassle 1day less in europe it is also hassle if u need something from goverment offices and that normally takes longer

so all smile please and get on with your great life \or leave

4 minutes ago, mikecha said:

correct many ex pats are  on beer at 9 am seen it  not very convincing for the Thai community

Came across a ex pat at big c last month complaining that there was no salami, bacon was fat  this no good that no good then the shit hit the fan at the checkout he could not get his beer cos was wrong time of day  as the sign stated in thai and in english

winge winge decided to  leave all there and walk away store manager politely asked him take the stuf back and then go please i felt imbarresed to be living here as an ex pat   this guy was so impolite that he was near to getting lifted by the police

but see the bright side if u do how they want and sometimes that pretty tough visa wise   all is ok 89 days no hassle 1day less in europe it is also hassle if u need something from goverment offices and that normally takes longer

I wonder how long they had lived here?

The rose tint may wear off in time don't you think?

As a dear friend of mine says:-

"You never know when you're having good luck".

Perhaps we all need Eckhart Tolle to give us lessons on how to live in the present?

Since the wealthy class in Thailand is just a bunch of money hungry b.....es, they want tourists only and they don't want permanent residents. That's where it all comes from. The people personally never had a problem with foreigners. They were only told that they should. 

But I don't see why anybody would leave. If I want to stay I will stay, it's not like anybody will stop it. 

To me it seems that others want to stay too, regardless of the parade. 

11 minutes ago, laislica said:

I wonder how long they had lived here?

The rose tint may wear off in time don't you think?

As a dear friend of mine says:-

"You never know when you're having good luck".

Perhaps we all need Eckhart Tolle to give us lessons on how to live in the present?

well chief  as the story goes they were a known for this and seem now to have moved   local comunity telephone    the misses heard it in the early market  was as normal gossip of the day

I agree, we live 6.5 months in Spain and the rest here.

Spain make us welcome, there are free Spanish lessons in the evenings for those who want them.

My wife applied for residency, yes, there were a lot of hoops to jump through and it took almost 6 months to do but....

She needs no paperwork to stay or travel/re-enter for 5 years.

At that time the renewal of her residents ID should be routine and almost free - same for Spanish people.

It would be nice if Thailand gave me the same privileges.....

The Thai language is not easy to learn, reading/writing is not hard but that skill does not help understanding too much.

Spanish is much easier although we live in a predominantly Spanish environ and we tend not to get foreigners during the high seasons - it's very traditionally Spanish.

My Thai wife speaks very little Spanish but she gets round easily with her English.

We will be back there in a few days for our summer stint.

The reason for me to be in Thailand at all, is to keep my wife happy!

I haven't visited my home country for 7 years and I miss seeing family and friends but,,,,, they often visit us in Spain so not too bad.

If my Thai wife was not able to connect with Thai family, friends, life, culture etc., I'm sure she would quickly go mad.

(A bit like I feel after about 3-4 months LOL)

Until world currencies crash, we shall continue to split our time like this (oh, pending some horrible illness etc.)

I will also sat that I have a number of Thai friends and most of them are ashamed at the dangers to foreigners here, traffic accidents, robbery, murder and a lot more.

There are times in Thailand that I would not feel safe, places I would never go alone or be disabled by drink or in the early hours etc.

Pure asking for trouble.

I don't feel like that in Spain.

About 3 years ago we had a Danish couple come visit us and together we traveled across the south of Spain, and to Gibraltar.

They said that they felt safer than in Copenhagen and they could hardly believe that we could be out at night at 2 or 3 am and enjoy beer (or wine) and Tapas, or ice cream and only see other people just enjoying themselves.

There you are, Happy Wife, Happy Life.

It's nonsense to say Spain is safer than Thailand. Both are big countries with plenty of less-than-safe areas. Some parts of the Costa del Sol and the Balearic islands are very similar to the worst Thailand has to offer. Barcelona has one of the highest crime rates, particularly on tourists, in Europe. I doubt any Thai cities come close.

17 hours ago, starky said:

Whats wrong with wealthy in poor out? Most countries would rather have their immigrants with some wealth than providing virtually nothing to the economy. Particularly those that need to move to a developing country to make their dollar stretch further.

What's WRONG with it is THIS:  a "poor man's" income in countries like America is a very good living here. As a retiree, my income is many times that of most full-time workers. The reverse is NOT true for most western countries. The poor people who come to America and the UK are TRULY poor. If more people were retiring wealthy, there would be no need to retire to countries where the cost of living is lower. This should be obvious to anyone, but the "Thai way or the highway" crew of Thai-o-philes, keeps propagating the mythology that we are taking something out of Thailand, rather than giving it a good cash infusion. Mexico and many Latin American retirement destinations understand this simple fact and have programs in place to ATTRACT retirees with first world pensions.

33 minutes ago, mikecha said:

hehehe when I read stories like this, I feel insulted by the Thai's use of the generalizing  word "farang".......

Can't they have the politeness to make up a separate word for Brits?

Perhaps "poms" as opposed to "farangs" , now that would be acceptable.....

"Pommy B#####" would of course be better still.

19 hours ago, anotheruser said:

why don't they take the hint? Why do people stay in a country they feel they will never have equal rights in and continue to suffer what they perceive to be continuous abuse at the hands of their families, local people and the current government?

Cheap and tasty vagina? 

19 minutes ago, mikecha said:

realy nice    the gerberas   does she grow from seed

Thanks but sorry, I don't really know but probably not.

She often buys plants and changes things round.

I only got to make the brick coloured sitting space.

She has done (or had done) everything else.

It's her domain and I'm wise enough to keep out of it.

It gives her much pleasure, she is in total control - has my respect - The Boss! he he

Despite only being here for a short period of time, it's the best looking garden in the moobaan and the neighbours love it and even water it and family prune as necessary when we are away.

The good life for sure!

3 minutes ago, Chip Allen said:

Mexico and many Latin American retirement destinations understand this simple fact and have programs in place to ATTRACT retirees with first world pensions.

Bugger me, it's not hard then where to choose then is it. Move there if you think your pension will show you a grander lifestyle in your goldern years.

Don't come to Thailand and then complain that the Thais are acting Thai (I swear some ppl have a screw loose, and actually forget they are a guest in THEIR country, and not that they should be grateful and give you a hip hip hoorat everytime you walk passed for gracing them with your presence), and the beers getting more expensive (reality check, they're not raising beer prices just for you, the Thais also pay the same price), tbh, just don't bother coming at all to Thailan, we farangs will thank you for it later!

17 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's nonsense to say Spain is safer than Thailand. Both are big countries with plenty of less-than-safe areas. Some parts of the Costa del Sol and the Balearic islands are very similar to the worst Thailand has to offer. Barcelona has one of the highest crime rates, particularly on tourists, in Europe. I doubt any Thai cities come close.

I have no axe to grind.

I honestly told it as I find it.......

Sure, I guess I could go to places in Madris or Barca and see or get into trouble but we don't, so we don't encounter that sort of thing.

To the pure, all things are .....?

14 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Cheap and tasty vagina? 

One of the mysteries of life for me: Some men pay for sex, and than feel they have to provide pleasure to the sales woman.

Not that I don't like seafood and similar.

9 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Cheap and tasty vagina? 

If it tastes like a latex surgical glove, the owner of said cheap vagina has less than adequate hygiene practices.  The consolation prize for you is knowing that the bloke who shagged it just before you went down for a "taste", was wearing a condom.  Livin' the Dream, mate, Livin' the Dream.  :laugh:

Archived