Feeling unwelcome in LOS

Just now, anotheruser said:

I will go out on a limb and guess that marriages that are not based upon love and subsequent children resulting from them are a big reason that many stay on. 

Many westerners will rightfully feel obligated to take care of their families even in times of hardship. Many Thai guys would simply just abandon the family and move on. Maybe some westerners just don't have that mai pen rai attitude towards marriage and children hard wired in. 

So for those people where this is the case I have a lot of respect that situation must be tough. 

70yo dudes with 10yo kids and 40yo wives. 

What could go wrong?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Well not everybody is as savvy as you are. You don't think there are people that find themselves in a dilemma now because they didn't follow your golden rule? 

Do you have any opinions on the main topic of the thread? 

Go back to Post 62. Although I suspect you're not interested in opinions that differ from yours.:post-4641-1156693976:

3 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Go back to Post 62. Although I suspect you're not interested in opinions that differ from yours.:post-4641-1156693976:

I have found quite a few posts that are interesting. Post 62 is also valid. It is the last few posts where you take shots at people and don't further the discussion I took exception to. 

Anyway the thread seems back on track.

21 hours ago, swissie said:

The majority of Expats refuse to accept the fact that Thailands "Immigration Concept" is as follows:

- Tourists with money IN. After 3 weeks OUT (having spent their "Holiday-Money").

- Expats (Officially): Good guys in, bad guys out. Inofficially: Rich guys in, poor guys out !

The entire TM 28 outrage is only one step to "wear them down". More of such "cleansing-measures" to follow, for sure!

Of course, Expats having invested their life-savings in a country not even providing elementary "Legal-Certainty", are tempted to go into a state of denial, preferring to ignore "the writing on the wall".
Cheers.

Having 800 K baht is hardly rich man's yardstick.

2 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

I have found quite a few posts that are interesting. Post 62 is also valid. It is the last few posts where you take shots at people and don't further the discussion I took exception to. 

Anyway the thread seems back on track.

Read post 82. Then tell me that's not trolling, and it's on topic.

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I wonder how many of those Chinese are sat at their keyboards right now complaining how unwelcome Thailand makes them feel, I'm betting not more than one or two!

Most are naturalized by now.  They are not Taiwanese per se, though there are some from Taiwan who have settled in Thailand.  The Chinese you are referring to are KMT soldiers from southwest China.  The KMT leader fled to Taiwan in 1949 after loosing the civil war, leaving stranded soldiers in the southwest border regions.  They were armed and battle hardened, so they were not easy to get rid of.  That is one trait of being Chinese.

Some from the Thailand KMT believe there is far too much freedom in Taiwan.  Not sure where their sympathies lie at the moment regarding the junta or the Thaksin family.     

1 hour ago, jadee said:

My only thought on this topic of 'feeling unwelcome in Thailand' is ... compared with where? I mean, if you want to feel unwelcome, trying moving to China - Thailand is nirvana compared with RPC and there are plenty of worse places I could name, China isn't even halfway down the list. Where exactly is truly welcoming? 

I think there are some expats in Thailand who believe that if the locals are not kissing their big, flabby ass 24/7, then they're not very welcoming. 

The poster has repeatedly said on this forum he wasn't actually working and never needed a work permit. 

Exactly!  I would hardly advertise the fact that I was working without a WP, would I?  In 12 years of running these 4 hotels, I and my lawyer never managed to persuade the Labour Office to issue a WP for me to work as manager of my own hotel. The excuses ranged from 'Farang cannot work in a hotel' to 'You pay me 50,000 baht and we give you WP'.

Happily, whether I was working or not working is immaterial now, since the Labour Office never visited my hotels and nor did the Immigration guys.  The only authority to visit were the local police after my latest hotel was squatted by the drug dealer - and then I found out that those police were some of his best customers LoL.

Water under the bridge and all that - I haven't lost any sleep over it :)

Update: 

... and as for working legally in Myanmar, I have been able to do that right from my first work visit in 2012, no bullsh*t from their immigration guys.  Same goes for when I was boss of the international school in Luang Prabang, Laos ==> WP sorted out immediately.

Only had bullsh*t in Thailand :)

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Exactly!  I would hardly advertise the fact that I was working without a WP, would I?  In 12 years of running these 4 hotels, I and my lawyer never managed to persuade the Labour Office to issue a WP for me to work as manager of my own hotel. The excuses ranged from 'Farang cannot work in a hotel' to 'You pay me 50,000 baht and we give you WP'.

Happily, whether I was working or not working is immaterial now, since the Labour Office never visited my hotels and nor did the Immigration guys.  The only authority to visit were the local police after my latest hotel was squatted by the drug dealer - and then I found out that those police were some of his best customers LoL.

Water under the bridge and all that - I haven't lost any sleep over it :)

Update: 

... and as for working legally in Myanmar, I have been able to do that right from my first work visit in 2012, no bullsh*t from their immigration guys.  Same goes for when I was boss of the international school in Luang Prabang, Laos ==> WP sorted out immediately.

Only had bullsh*t in Thailand :)

So you were working illegally but complain about corruption? 

51 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

A rather negative post on your fellow expats, not so? Have you always been this judgmental? Yes, Thailand and its expats have flaws.

However, you are going to find flaws wherever you go.

All that is needed here to be happy is to relax and treat each day as a new adventure. It's sad when people can't do that.

Is this that new thing I've heard younger people do?  "Don't Judge Me!". "I'm unique!" 

Yeah, ok, everyone in Thailand is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.  LOL.

Mine was a fairly simple observation. Not a revelation or a judgement really.  I have others.  It's not hard to work out.   You seemed to have formed an opinion about me.  See how that works? Pretty cool, eh? :biggrin:

So you were working illegally but complain about corruption? 

That's an interesting question! I was working illegally because of the corruption.  I had my Thai Ltd company paying all correct taxes, doing accounts returns etc, in line with the law.  But the LO would not issue a WP for me, which was contrary to the law.  

Hmm.... I still won't lose sleep over it. I'm 100% legal in Myanmar and this is where I intend to work for the forseeable future.

4 minutes ago, simon43 said:

That's an interesting question! I was working illegally because of the corruption.  I had my Thai Ltd company paying all correct taxes, doing accounts returns etc, in line with the law.  But th LO would not issue a WP for me, which was contrary to the law.  

Hmm.... I still won't lose sleep over it.

deleted

7 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Is this that new thing I've heard younger people do?  "Don't Judge Me!". "I'm unique!" 

Yeah, ok, everyone in Thailand is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.  LOL.

Mine was a fairly simple observation. Not a revelation or a judgement really.  I have others.  It's not hard to work out.   You seemed to have formed an opinion about me.  See how that works? Pretty cool, eh? :biggrin:

Thank you LOL. I'm 73 yo. Yes, I formed an opinion you were negative in the post. Works for me:smile:

2 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Nobody forces foreigners to live there. They choose it.

We can go on further down this road.

Nobody forces muslims to live in Europe.

Nobody forces blacks to live in South Africa.

Nobody forces LOSO to stay in Thailand.

Nobody forces intelligent people to stay in Trumpland.

A rather silly way of thinking, no? As compared to believing in universal non culturally defined human rights. 

4 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Thank you LOL. I'm 73 yo. Yes, I formed an opinion you were negative in the post. Works for me:smile:

Seriously though, why you think my observations were negative?  And judgemental?

We can go on further down this road.

Nobody forces muslims to live in Europe.
Nobody forces blacks to live in South Africa.
Nobody forces LOSO to stay in Thailand.
Nobody forces intelligent people to stay in Trumpland.

A rather silly way of thinking, no? As compared to believing in universal non culturally defined human rights. 

You mean nobody forces whites to live in south Africa

It's a black Country

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Seriously though, why you think my observations were negative?  And judgemental?

For some, I thought it might be a sense of superiority over the people who run this banana stand and are in a position of authority over them.  They resent the hell out of that, and so no transgression goes unnoticed.  It accrues and grinds on them year after year.

For others, might be compounded by the paralyzing insecurity of being in various states of reliance on their wives here.  The reality that they are unable to communicate on a meaningful level and perform what would be routine tasks back in their own country.  They are shells of the men they once were, and that grinds on them, year after year.

Me?  Not leaving in a hurry but when we do, won't be because I finally discovered Thailand is a corrupt shit hole.

I'm a bit baffled by this.

You're  saying falangs come here and get worn down by the immigration process. Some do. Others work the system.

You refer to paralysing insecurity caused by the state of reliance on Thai wives.. And that they are shells of the men they once were. That's not a negative and judgmental view? How many are self-sufficient and having the time of their lives here?

Thailand is a corrupt shithole. Does it affect you personally? I've found it simplifies things very nicely. A traffic infringement which would cost me $300-$400 in Australia would cost me $40 here, not that I go out looking for them. If you want to get really frustrated with immigration processes, try the bullshit Australia puts Thai nationals through.

I don't understand why you would think your post was anything but negative and judgmental. I can't see it as positive and non-judgmental.

Perhaps I have totally misinterpreted the meaning of your post, in which case I'd appreciate you explaining how I got it wrong.

Thailand is what you make of it, like everywhere else.

QUOTE: "A traffic infringement which would cost me $300-$400 in Australia would cost me $40 here, not that I go out looking for them."

I obey the traffic rules.

It makes my life safer.

It also makes other people's lives safer.

And it saves me 400 A$ or 40A$, depending on where I obey them.

Maybe an idea for you?

4 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

What's WRONG with it is THIS:  a "poor man's" income in countries like America is a very good living here. As a retiree, my income is many times that of most full-time workers. The reverse is NOT true for most western countries. The poor people who come to America and the UK are TRULY poor. If more people were retiring wealthy, there would be no need to retire to countries where the cost of living is lower. This should be obvious to anyone, but the "Thai way or the highway" crew of Thai-o-philes, keeps propagating the mythology that we are taking something out of Thailand, rather than giving it a good cash infusion. Mexico and many Latin American retirement destinations understand this simple fact and have programs in place to ATTRACT retirees with first world pensions.

No use getting dirty on me mate. I am not a Thaiophile but if I was a retiree and I thought other countries were more attractive and offering better programs I would be going there. As for your if more people were retiring wealthy comment well we will just have to disagree on that as it's totally unrealistic. No one forced you to come here I imagine and the rules have been the same since I came here in the 90's so if you wish to stay in a country that doesn't live up to your expectations more fool you. 

Just now, starky said:

No use getting dirty on me mate. I am not a Thaiophile but if I was a retiree and I thought other countries were more attractive and offering better programs I would be going there. As for your if more people were retiring wealthy comment well we will just have to disagree on that as it's totally unrealistic. No one forced you to come here I imagine and the rules have been the same since I came here in the 90's so if you wish to stay in a country that doesn't live up to your expectations more fool you. 

I agree with many of your sentiments. However to say the rules have been the same as they were in the 90's you are completely delusional. 

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

What sort of expat living here is not contributing to the economy? They all must be getting income from there own countries, whether it is pensions or otherwise. I understand there may be the odd exception, but for about 99% of these, it has to be their own fault,

I do understand I may have missed something out here though.

Possibly what you missed is reading comprehension. Providing not much to the economy is not the same as not contributing. I didn't say the weren't I just said it's not much. cheers.

Archived