Feeling unwelcome in LOS

1 minute ago, starky said:

Possibly what you missed is reading comprehension. Providing not much to the economy is not the same as not contributing. I didn't say the weren't I just said it's not much. cheers.

For the love of God this is about people that feel unwelcome and stay not what they contribute.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

I agree with many of your sentiments. However to say the rules have been the same as they were in the 90's you are completely delusional. 

Well as far as retirees go that may be true. I am still a long way off retiring but generally speaking for myself I don't think things have changed much in regards to my day to day living in this country. The only thing I have noticed is that a lot of expats seem to be complaining a lot more these days. I am not saying love it or leave but I couldn't remain somewhere I wasn't happy. 

1 minute ago, starky said:

Well as far as retirees go that may be true. I am still a long way off retiring but generally speaking for myself I don't think things have changed much in regards to my day to day living in this country. The only thing I have noticed is that a lot of expats seem to be complaining a lot more these days. I am not saying love it or leave but I couldn't remain somewhere I wasn't happy. 

yet you remain on this forum

2 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

For the love of God this is about people that feel unwelcome and stay not what they contribute.

I was just responding to his quote not trying to say what people should and shouldn't be doing. Look mate im an Aussie so like the US a lot of the immigrants we get are refugees, asylum seekers  people looking for a better place to live so initially they have nothing and provide very little. Do I think it's fair that they get such good treatment in regards to welfare, housing, and other benefits they receive?  Not necessarily but the systems are in place and I accept my governments decision in these matters. Like when I moved to Thailand. I have to accept the Thai governments decisions regarding people who live here. Simple as that. If I didn't accept them I wouldn't live here. 

Just now, starky said:

I was just responding to his quote not trying to say what people should and shouldn't be doing. Look mate im an Aussie so like the US a lot of the immigrants we get are refugees, asylum seekers  people looking for a better place to live so initially they have nothing and provide very little. Do I think it's fair that they get such good treatment in regards to welfare, housing, and other benefits they receive?  Not necessarily but the systems are in place and I accept my governments decision in these matters. Like when I moved to Thailand. I have to accept the Thai governments decisions regarding people who live here. Simple as that. If I didn't accept them I wouldn't live here. 

Great. so do you have any opinions on people that continue to live here although they feel they aren't really welcome?

1 hour ago, anotheruser said:

Not so sure that is exactly the reason. I see the point but in my OP I was wondering why Thailand seems to be this way more than other countries I have lived in. 

I have lived and met ex pats all over the world and in places like Japan or Ireland the ex pats seem to be more appreciative of there new found countries.

Most of those who don't like Japan for example won't be there 20 years later they will simply leave. The ones that are left truly enjoy their lives.

Are Japan and Ireland "retirement" and/or "cheap living" destinations though?  I reckon you were among a slightly different crowd with different motivations, yes?   If I was making pretty good money in Japan, but I didn't like it, I might slug it out anyway.  At least until I could find something better, or hang up my spurs.

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

yet you remain on this forum

I am happy champ just curious about the thought process of someone that clearly puts themselves in such an awkward position. I find it amusing.

1 minute ago, 55Jay said:

Are Japan and Ireland "retirement" and/or "cheap living" destinations though?  I reckon you were among a slightly different crowd with different motivations, yes?   If I was making pretty good money in Japan, but I didn't like it, I might slug it out anyway.  At least until I could find something better, or hang up my spurs.

You make a valid point. Perhaps I am comparing ex pats to death pats and the comparison is simply unfair.

2 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Great. so do you have any opinions on people that continue to live here although they feel they aren't really welcome?

Not at all you are entitled to your opinions and beliefs just the same as me. The OP however asked a question that I find interesting and IMO if I didn't feel welcome here then I wouldn't stay. The reason I am staying on this thread is to try and understand why people who don't, do but they never do they just talk about how other countries are so much more accommodating. If however you wish to say in a place where you don't feel welcome that is, as they say, Up to you. All the best.

Just now, starky said:

Not at all you are entitled to your opinions and beliefs just the same as me. The OP however asked a question that I find interesting and IMO if I didn't feel welcome here then I wouldn't stay. The reason I am staying on this thread is to try and understand why people who don't, do but they never do they just talk about how other countries are so much more accommodating. If however you wish to say in a place where you don't feel welcome that is, as they say, Up to you. All the best.

I am the OP. lol

So what do we have so far?

People who are not 100% happy with things here, stay because: (in no particular order)

1/ no other place to go (financially or emotionally)

2/ the whores

3/ nowhere is 100% perfect, Thailand will do

4/ the climate

5/ cheep beer (for pommy standards)

6/ nice enough locals if you are lucky

7/ perfect place to whinge

8/ perfect place to wear rosy glasses

9/ please add

Just now, oldhippy said:

So what do we have so far?

People who are not 100% happy with things here, stay because: (in no particular order)

1/ no other place to go (financially or emotionally)

2/ the whores

3/ nowhere is 100% perfect, Thailand will do

4/ the climate

5/ cheep beer (for pommy standards)

6/ nice enough locals if you are lucky

7/ perfect place to whinge

8/ perfect place to wear rosy glasses

9/ please add

Replace the term whores with wife and or kids and it is more realistic. Whoremongers go where the pussy is they aren't stranded full of regrets.

6 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Replace the term whores with wife and or kids and it is more realistic. Whoremongers go where the pussy is they aren't stranded full of regrets.

Correct, in my list I confused Returners with Stayers.

But then again, both of them can whinge or wear rosy glasses.

4 hours ago, psyvolt said:

Bugger me, it's not hard then where to choose then is it. Move there if you think your pension will show you a grander lifestyle in your goldern years.

Don't come to Thailand and then complain that the Thais are acting Thai (I swear some ppl have a screw loose, and actually forget they are a guest in THEIR country, and not that they should be grateful and give you a hip hip hoorat everytime you walk passed for gracing them with your presence), and the beers getting more expensive (reality check, they're not raising beer prices just for you, the Thais also pay the same price), tbh, just don't bother coming at all to Thailan, we farangs will thank you for it later!

That's it in a nutshell but doesn't matter how many times you say they hate hearing it. Apparently it's better to stay somewhere you hate and whinge about it than move to the places where you are treated like a God with your retirement dollars.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Exactly. Immigration officials in particular,  the world over, are never welcoming of anyone.

And immigration rules are not created by popular vote, in fact most citizens have no clue what they are. So I would hardly infer  from those anything about the attitude of the country as a whole.

I feel perfectly comfortable where I live. Certainly no one minds having me here, and everyone is friendly enough.   But I should add that I live in a rural area with virtually no other foreigners around...and I don't, as far as I know, do or say anything that would make me a problem or liability to have around.

So I do not feel in the least "unwelcome" though I also don't feel that the people or the country are actively seeking to have foreigners like me here, rather that like anywhere, people judge people on a case by case basis.  Every once in a while i come across someone who is hostile to foreigners per se, but most people are quite willing to give me a chance and will react according to how I am.

As for the government, I'm not looking to them to "welcome" me, I'm just glad that their rules make my stay here possible.

Some people may have unrealistic expectations.

Exactly...I recently visited the USA (my country of birth and citizenship), I was questioned as to why I had been overseas for so long. No IO is friendly...although he seemed awfully nice to the pretty Chinese girl in front of me in line though...

1 hour ago, thaifoodruns said:

You mean nobody forces whites to live in south Africa

It's a black Country

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

haha post of the year ( not enough smiling, laughing, clapping emotions in the world). His massive slip just got to the heart of the problem. The old colonial attitude runs deep in that one. Thanks for this one you just made my week. Maybe the Thais should leave Thailand as well. 

Just now, tonray said:

Exactly...I recently visited the USA (my country of birth and citizenship), I was questioned as to why I had been overseas for so long. No IO is friendly...although he seemed awfully nice to the pretty Chinese girl in front of me in line though...

More than likely the Chinese girl had a visa and a clear plan that satisfied his questions quickly. Than again why were you in the foreigner line rather than the line for American citizens?

21 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

There are a few intertesting theories in this thread. I will have to get some rest and will give some perspectives that I have learned from this thread at a later time. Thanks everybody.

Now that is optimism learning something on a Thaivisa thread :) thanks for the comments though it's been an interesting day.

Just now, starky said:

Now that is optimism learning something on a Thaivisa thread :) thanks for the comments though it's been an interesting day.

It's just par for the course that there will be some nasty or off topic nonsense on any thread here. I did gain some insight but the beer and the Royals games calls to me for my attention. 

I would estimate around less than 30% of the posts actually made an effort to answer the original question. :)

Anyone else getting bored with the topics posted here: you're not welcome, why are you planning to leave? why do you want to leave? is your glass half empty? ............ on a Farang Pub Fun and Entertainment and Expat Life Forum.

1 minute ago, TheLobster said:

Anyone else getting bored with the topics posted here: you're not welcome, why are you planning to leave? why do you want to leave? is your glass half empty? ............ on a Farang Pub Fun and Entertainment and Expat Life Forum.

You are welcome to post content which you find is more interesting. The content here is user generated and you are welcome to participate if you would like content that is more palatable to your sensibilities.

26 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

"Critical Thinking" includes being aware of the good and the bad of what one observes.

That is a difficult concept for many.

Yes and critical thinking is also about having the common sense to accept things you can not change. The OP however asked whether you are happy or not. If you are happy great if you are not then that's unfortunate but if it is the place you stay that makes you unhappy and your highly evolved critical thinking brain can't make you accept that then why stay there? That's the question that never gets answered the closest we've gotten in this thread in 6 pages is that you are either trapped here financially or you are trapped here because of family commitments.The possibility that other countries are so much better the Thailand (apparently)  has no bearing on the topic.

15 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

More than likely the Chinese girl had a visa and a clear plan that satisfied his questions quickly. Than again why were you in the foreigner line rather than the line for American citizens?

On some nights they close down queues and line everyone up in the same place....NewarK, NJ

3 minutes ago, tonray said:

On some nights they close down queues and line everyone up in the same place....NewarK, NJ

You are still making a few misguided assumptions about why some pretty "Chinese" girl would go through and you were questioned. You quite possibly fit the profile of a sex tourist being a male and single coming from Thailand then the Chinese girl was.

You have to understand that foreigners coming to the USA have been put through more vetting than you would have been at the time of visa application.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: "A traffic infringement which would cost me $300-$400 in Australia would cost me $40 here, not that I go out looking for them."

I obey the traffic rules.

It makes my life safer.

It also makes other people's lives safer.

And it saves me 400 A$ or 40A$, depending on where I obey them.

Maybe an idea for you?

It was just an example of how corruption can actually lower costs compared to another country.

I drive defensively here, mainly because 95% of the vehicle drivers in Thailand wouldn't know a road rule if it bit them on the bum.

I'd recommend you consider survival as the preferred option to road rules. Has worked for me, and I've been driving here for 5 years.

Apologies for going off topic.

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

<snip> out my original post to save space, no need copy/pasting it.

I'm a bit baffled by this.

You're  saying falangs come here and get worn down by the immigration process. Some do. Others work the system.

You refer to paralysing insecurity caused by the state of reliance on Thai wives.. And that they are shells of the men they once were. That's not a negative and judgmental view? How many are self-sufficient and having the time of their lives here?

Thailand is a corrupt shithole. Does it affect you personally? I've found it simplifies things very nicely. A traffic infringement which would cost me $300-$400 in Australia would cost me $40 here, not that I go out looking for them. If you want to get really frustrated with immigration processes, try the bullshit Australia puts Thai nationals through.

I don't understand why you would think your post was anything but negative and judgmental. I can't see it as positive and non-judgmental.

Perhaps I have totally misinterpreted the meaning of your post, in which case I'd appreciate you explaining how I got it wrong.

Thailand is what you make of it, like everywhere else.

We are not talking about ALL farangs. Just those who say they feel unwelcome and why that might be.  My observations relate to that.  It's not about me, I don't feel unwelcome nor do I struggle with Immigration procedures.  I do think they could be more efficient though.

As to my original post, I'll try to be brief:

The arrogant superior ones are a doodle, but I can understand how you might be baffled and you're right. IME, they don't give a rat's aris if the little brown monkeys welcome them or not.  Some have told me they felt unwelcome in their own home countries, and escaped to Thailand only to find they must jump through hoops put up by a pack of muppets, and so they resent that.....  the old home country suddenly doesn't look so bad in comparison.....

And so that's the point.  I've noticed people are unhappy here with some (or all) parts of their lives but fail to address the root cause(s) because that would force them to take action they would rather avoid for financial, logistical, familial reasons, such as young kids in the nest, or they feel they are too old to start over again or don't have the money to do it.   

So they accept their unhappy life and project their anger and frustration at other things.  Immigration is a popular one we can all relate to, and the typical forms and procedures we all go through somehow singles them out and makes them feel "unwelcome"?  Naw mate, it's a smoke screen in a lot of cases, and why, when somebody asks the magic question, "So....why don't you just leave then, you miserable old git?", you get nothing.  

I know it sounds condescending but really mate, this observation isn't rocket science.

Archived