Feeling unwelcome in LOS

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, anotheruser said:

wow. talk about hitting the nail on the head.

I can see how it might come off as mean spirited because it's so direct and that can cause some folks to bristle up.  Maybe they see a bit of themselves in there, and try to deflect and make it about me.  

I also don't intend it to be all encompassing, it's just some things I've observed over time.  And that includes self-reflection, acknowledging my own faults and how I sometimes piss and moan about things here when it's not really about that at all. 

Just now, 55Jay said:

I can see how it might come off as mean spirited because it's so direct and that can cause some folks to bristle up.  Maybe they see a bit of themselves in there, and try to deflect and make it about me.  

I also don't intend it to be all encompassing, it's just some things I've observed over time.  And that includes self-reflection, acknowledging my own faults and how I sometimes piss and moan about things here when it's not really about that at all. 

It made sense to me.

IF - and I repeat IF - some people feel completely miserable here, yes they should leave.

But I am convinced that many see the + and the - of life in Thailand. Or any other country.

And isn't it normal to complain about the - rather than mention the +?

If I pay double price or have to jump through hoops, I complain. Do you want me to post every time I pay the Thai price or receive normal service from a government official? Hehe do not tempt me! I just might start doing that.

8 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

We are not talking about ALL farangs. Just those who say they feel unwelcome and why that might be.  My observations relate to that.  It's not about me, I don't feel unwelcome nor do I struggle with Immigration procedures.  I do think they could be more efficient though.

I know it sounds condescending but really mate, this observation isn't rocket science.

I agree with everything you are saying. However, classifying it as negative and/or judgmental IMHO in the absence of the qualifiers you have just put in is what I've done. Doesn't change the validity of what you originally said.

Just now, bazza73 said:

I agree with everything you are saying. However, classifying it as negative and/or judgmental IMHO in the absence of the qualifiers you have just put in is what I've done. Doesn't change the validity of what you originally said.

Agreed, the original post was open to interpretation but stipulating the OP's question and context, I thought it would stand alone alright.   

BTW, I agree with the other things you said in your previous reply, we aren't very far apart on our approach to life in Thailand.  Funny enough, I've used the low level corruption with the road pirates as one aspect of Thailand that's kind of neat; although I've yet to be in a position to use it.   Just lucky I guess. 

Have a good night. 

3 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Agreed, the original post was open to interpretation but stipulating the OP's question and context, I thought it would stand alone alright.   

BTW, I agree with the other things you said in your previous reply, we aren't very far apart on our approach to life in Thailand.  Funny enough, I've used the low level corruption with the road pirates as one aspect of Thailand that's kind of neat; although I've yet to be in a position to use it.   Just lucky I guess. 

Have a good night. 

Yeah you answered the question in the context it was asked. Thanks.

9 hours ago, anotheruser said:

That is sort of the point of my OP. I am leaving myself not really because I feel all that unwelcome but because I prefer to live somewhere else. I was just curious as to why Thailand has such a large population of people who feel unwelcome yet cling to dear life to stay here.

You know the kind you find slagging everything off and then pop up in threads asking if they can enter on a 6th consecutive VE. To me it seems some of the other posters are probably right they emptied out here and now hate it but have nowhere to go.

It begins to seem like somebody who complains about living in their Mom's basement. Instead of being happy to have a place to stay they grumble because in order to stay there they must play by the rules of the house.

Interesting replies in this thread. To those that have directly commented about me I again am leaving. This is about people who will never be happy here but never leave voluntarily.

Just curious - - these people who are discontent here, trapped, whatever - do you actually meet them or is it just the TVF complainers? I did have a friend who stopped enjoying Phuket and sold out and left,  but everyone else I know seems happy here. ?? 

And have you decided where you are heading for? 

3 hours ago, 55Jay said:

We are not talking about ALL farangs. Just those who say they feel unwelcome and why that might be.  My observations relate to that.  It's not about me, I don't feel unwelcome nor do I struggle with Immigration procedures.  I do think they could be more efficient though.

As to my original post, I'll try to be brief:

The arrogant superior ones are a doodle, but I can understand how you might be baffled and you're right. IME, they don't give a rat's aris if the little brown monkeys welcome them or not.  Some have told me they felt unwelcome in their own home countries, and escaped to Thailand only to find they must jump through hoops put up by a pack of muppets, and so they resent that.....  the old home country suddenly doesn't look so bad in comparison.....

And so that's the point.  I've noticed people are unhappy here with some (or all) parts of their lives but fail to address the root cause(s) because that would force them to take action they would rather avoid for financial, logistical, familial reasons, such as young kids in the nest, or they feel they are too old to start over again or don't have the money to do it.   

So they accept their unhappy life and project their anger and frustration at other things.  Immigration is a popular one we can all relate to, and the typical forms and procedures we all go through somehow singles them out and makes them feel "unwelcome"?  Naw mate, it's a smoke screen in a lot of cases, and why, when somebody asks the magic question, "So....why don't you just leave then, you miserable old git?", you get nothing.  

I know it sounds condescending but really mate, this observation isn't rocket science.

Excellent post, deserves more than just a like.

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

Just curious - - these people who are discontent here, trapped, whatever - do you actually meet them or is it just the TVF complainers? I did have a friend who stopped enjoying Phuket and sold out and left,  but everyone else I know seems happy here. ?? 

Sometimes the questions answer themselves.

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

Yeah I bought a house and know where I am going. As far as people staying that are miserable, your guess is as good as mine. There does seem to be a high concentration of them on TV you aren't wrong. 

I know of three farangs near to where I live who are all unhappy. One is unhappy because he was born that way and will complain about anything, I haven;t asked if he's unhappy with Thailand because his response is too predictable. The second is unhappy because he's in jail having scammed some 40 million baht out of a succession of foreigners under the pretence of investments in his business, I'm pretty sure he's not happy with Thailand!

The third is an 80 year old who paid 5 million for a teak lanna house in need of work and having now totally renovated it he's trying to sell for 25 million and can't (he has however turned down 16 million). In the course of those five years he found, completely by chance, that his supposed solicitor was in fact fake and that he'd transferred the house into his own name rather than to the buyer. He was very lucky and the Land Office turned that situation around and he now is the effective owner of the property. He's unhappy with Thailand because he thinks everyone is a crook and far too greedy (refer back to the 25 million for context).

But I'm happy here after 15 years, I tend my garden, live a simple life, don't mix with tourists and I don't get upset about the culture or way of life here, it's what it is and I can coexist quite happily with most of, the bits I can't coexist with happily I simply ignore.

8 hours ago, oldhippy said:

We can go on further down this road.

Nobody forces muslims to live in Europe.

Nobody forces blacks to live in South Africa.

Nobody forces LOSO to stay in Thailand.

Nobody forces intelligent people to stay in Trumpland.

A rather silly way of thinking, no? As compared to believing in universal non culturally defined human rights. 

Why is it silly? You want a UN led one world rule? You want countries to give up their culture and rules to please whining foreigners?

Given Trump is worth $5bn why do you think he's not intelligent? Are broke expats in Toyland smart?

Most hippies grow out of nonsense 1960s thinking.

2 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Yeah I bought a house and know where I am going. As far as people staying that are miserable, your guess is as good as mine. There does seem to be a high concentration of them on TV you aren't wrong. 

You wonder whether they are just letting off steam or desperate for conversation given a lot can barely speak Thai.

7 hours ago, starky said:

Possibly what you missed is reading comprehension. Providing not much to the economy is not the same as not contributing. I didn't say the weren't I just said it's not much. cheers.

As long as people are putting more into the country than taking out, and that IMO is 99.9% of us. Anyone who is in the .1% should not be here, but again maybe I am missing something.

12 minutes ago, thaifoodruns said:

Going off topic here, but can anyone tell me if the rich thais hate poor thais and vise versa, and where does the middle class come in?

I think most feel unwelcome from the poor thais, rich thais don't care

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes there is  rich Thai / poor Thai mutual dislike.

Yes again the poor Thais associate the foreigners with rich Thais = dislike.

The rich Thais dislike foreigners for different reasons than the poor Thais. And the rich Thais just  dont show it . 

10 hours ago, starky said:

That's it in a nutshell but doesn't matter how many times you say they hate hearing it. Apparently it's better to stay somewhere you hate and whinge about it than move to the places where you are treated like a God with your retirement dollars.

Yep bang on.

It makes you wonder what screw they have loose, and why they feel the need to try make everyone else as miserable as they are, with so many seemingly trying to out do each other in how their lives are the most miserable dead beat with nothing worthwhile to offer the world.

Archived