Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

TrueVisions to Raise Prices Effective 1 June 17


Pib

Recommended Posts

Got a letter in the mail today from TrueVisions announcing an up to 7% price hike effective 1 June 17.   The letter says their last monthly fee adjustment was in 2005.  They also brag about the improved quantity and quality of programming.   Of course they didn't mention all the channels they have recently dropped like HBO/Cinemax.   I found the letter to be confusing even after reading it several times because of some offers of special privileges and just being unclear on the new pricing as to current and future subscribers, whether on a 6 or 12 month subscription, whether on a monthly subscription, etc.  And after reading the letter several times and also going to their website mentioned in the letter for more info I got more confused--Maybe it's just me...or just really good lawyer/accountant talk.

 

One or both weblinks below should take you to the price hike letter along with additional info.

 

truevisionsgroup.truecorp.co.th/pricejune17

 

http://videochat.truecorp.co.th:8080/tvsnovat/customer.htm?action=customerRegister&ln=en

 

And here's a snapshot of the letter.

Capture.JPG.e430f1b30c93d7be57f3ab0a1e190b21.JPG

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thai business model 101, sales of product not doing so good,increase

the price,to make up for lost revenue,expect more cancellations,plus

the EPL is ending ,less interest from their customers.

regards worgeordie

Link to post
Share on other sites

I clicked "like this". I don't like the price increase, but I like the way you are confused just as we are.

 

I understand that if you pay for a year or six months before 31 May, you will get 1 year at the old price. (Maybe I am wrong)

 

I also get the impression that they will start charging for premier league.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read the letter a couple more times and it seems to apply mainly to "monthly" subscription prices (which I expect is how most folks subscribe/pay), but if you go with an annual or 6 month subscription you get X-discount.

 

But when you look at the monthly membership sublink it seems to reflect the current price vs the higher price (I think) with the up to 7% higher monthly subscription.

 

One thing to consider also is over the years TrueVisions has had many different promotions which means you would get a lower price than their standard promotion which I think the sublink displays.   And although a promotion at the lower price usually says good for 12 months it usually continues on after that 12 month period based on my experience with various subscriptions on internet, mobile and TV packages with various companies....not only with TrueVisions but with other companies also like DTAC and a few others.   And some of the lower priced promotions were not advertised widely and only open for a limited window of time....and in some cases only applied to cable TrueVisions vs satellite TrueVisions.   I'm on one of those lower priced cable Platinum package promotions...have 4 boxes basically at the price of 1 box....yeap, it was a special promotion a couple years ago I got into.   

 

Heck, since 1 Jan I've even been getting an additional Bt600/month discount after I called and complained royally about them dropping the HBO/Cinemax channels.  The discount was only for 3 months (Jan thru Mar) but when I called and complained again in mid March before that 3 month discount was up and wanted a continuing discount I was basically told Sorry, Charlie.  However, on the 4th month bill which I got a few days ago the account/Ref 1 number had changed and the individual billing entries (i.e., subscription, fees for boxes, etc) had changed quite a bit but when the dust settled I still had a total of Bt600 in special discount which made me happy.  That Bt600/mo discount fully covers with 1 baht left over my AIS Fibre Platinum TV add-on package which includes various HBO channels, Cinemax, and a bunch of other premium channels.   So maybe after my call they rethought things about my account and are continuing the discount for X-more months...or maybe forever (one can hope).   Since the account number changed for my April bill it seems they may have just put me on a different promotion....or maybe they changed lot of peoples account number for some other reason....I really don't know.   Time will tell...all I know is I'm paying significantly below the standard price with multiple boxes due to the lower priced special promotion I got into several years ago...plus the current additional Bt600/mo discount I'm getting.  Yeap, various prices depending on what promotion you are under/got in under.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I cancelled a hotel type contract due to the loss of HBO etc back in January, that our company had had in place for over ten years UBC times. They didn't seen to give a shit. This company has the strangest business model and it seems to me customer service / retention is very low on the priorities list.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just looked at my April bill again and the line entry for the basic monthly Platinum subscription fee went "down" from Bt2000 (which it has been forever) to Bt1869.16.  Now if you increase Bt1869.16 by 7% come 1 June I'll be back to exactly Bt2000/mo.   Magic math going on here....but it appears to be magic math that may keep my basic subscription fee the same....once again, maybe due to particular promotion I'm on...don't know....time will tell...will need to see what future bills reflect.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's no true value if they keep a customer's price basically the same, but decimate their international programming content as they've done during the past year.

 

But it's worse when they decimate their international programming as they've done, and then turn around and try to pass along any kind of price increase. :ph34r:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Typically Way things are in this country. Business is poor, customers leaving in droves and guess what happens? Put the prices up for the rest and provide a worse service ! Haha you couldn't make it up


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Link to post
Share on other sites

I called to cancel my subscription yesterday, had Platinum with three outlets. Should have done it ages ago but never got round to it, the operative asked me why I was canceling to which I responded "do you really need to ask" and she said "no, not really".


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Link to post
Share on other sites

TrueVisions seems to have got in a "self flagellation" by dropping channels, such as the HBO channels, while also raising prices.   

 

Capture.JPG.30fa8bee622762320952a0c7e3df965d.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Who can answer this for me?  They say they have X amount of channels in the premium package. Has anyone noticed how they have doubled up on all the sports channels, movie channels and even many of the Thai channels.  I have not sat down to calculate how many that have been doubled up but let's say it would be getting pretty close to half.  So, they charge whatever for premium and everyone is only really getting half of what they pay for because of the doubling up.  If that is not a rip off then what is?  Try explaining that to them, I have and I can speak Thai and they still do not understand. either that or they're playing dumb or could it be both. :wai:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a fanboy of TrueVisions, but when you say "doubled up" if you mean doubled the number of channels in one area and possibly halved channels in another area, that's not correct.   When they dropped the HBO/Cinemax channels they pretty much replaced them one for one with other western movie/TV channels....of course those replacements were not of equal quality in my book.   I'm not really into watching that much sports but the total number of sports channels is pretty much the same based on my review of past and present channels line up; however, what channels they show has changed a good amount over the years.   Seems the "total number" of channels in all "main areas" is pretty much the same give and take a little like their Platinum package at below link (you may need to click enter to get past the typical opening page before seeing the channel line up).

http://truevisionsgroup.truecorp.co.th/channellineup_web/1

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2017 at 7:59 PM, Pib said:

TrueVisions seems to have got in a "self flagellation" by dropping channels, such as the HBO channels, while also raising prices.   

 

Capture.JPG.30fa8bee622762320952a0c7e3df965d.JPG

 

 

You got it wrong, Pib...

 

They're not flagellating themselves. They're flagellating YOU (if you still have TrueVisions) and the other remaining TrueVisions customers.  I guess some folks enjoy being the whipping boy of others. :smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pib said:

I'm not a fanboy of TrueVisions, but when you say "doubled up" if you mean doubled the number of channels in one area and possibly halved channels in another area, that's not correct.   When they dropped the HBO/Cinemax channels they pretty much replaced them one for one with other western movie/TV channels....of course those replacements were not of equal quality in my book.   I'm not really into watching that much sports but the total number of sports channels is pretty much the same based on my review of past and present channels line up; however, what channels they show has changed a good amount over the years.   Seems the "total number" of channels in all "main areas" is pretty much the same give and take a little like their Platinum package at below link (you may need to click enter to get past the typical opening page before seeing the channel line up).

http://truevisionsgroup.truecorp.co.th/channellineup_web/1

If you really don't know then how can you say it is incorrect.  I was of the opinion that whatever package one subscribed to would be the same all over Thailand, correct me if I am wrong.

 

When I say doubled up, I mean doubled up, if one gets say, ten sports channels and then gets them again under different channel number, the same applying to the movies, other HD channels and many Thai channels, wouldn't you call doubling up. If not what would you call it?  If you don't subscribe to Platinum then I'd doubt if you would know so what I was asking and the answers you listed are a little irrelevant. Thanks anyway.:wai:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Truevisions.JPG.f21bcc24415b304089763708e74ddcd6.JPG

 

And still can't write a clear, understandable business communication letter to their EN customers worth a d***.

 

I can't quite tell if they ran a Thai letter thru Google Translate and sent out that text, or had some Thai staff English language program graduate who learned just enough English words to be dangerous do the translation.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are people still stupid enough to still use Truevisions when there are other services far better ?  Can not even understand Thais using them when most of the crap they watch are FTA.   For Farangs to pay for it shows their total ignorance or stupidity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

If you really don't know then how can you say it is incorrect.  I was of the opinion that whatever package one subscribed to would be the same all over Thailand, correct me if I am wrong.

 

When I say doubled up, I mean doubled up, if one gets say, ten sports channels and then gets them again under different channel number, the same applying to the movies, other HD channels and many Thai channels, wouldn't you call doubling up. If not what would you call it?  If you don't subscribe to Platinum then I'd doubt if you would know so what I was asking and the answers you listed are a little irrelevant. Thanks anyway.:wai:

Nope....the line-up is not the same across Thailand in that the TrueVisions DSTV (TrueVisions by satellite dish) provides fewer channels than TrueVision CATV (cable TV) and fewer HD channels.  CATV subscribers such as myself get more channels than DSTV subscribers and more channels are in HD.  Don't know if you are a CATV or DSTV subscriber.  

 

The channel line up given in the earlier post shows the different CATV and DSTV channels availability with the "asterisk" coding....I've included a partial snapshot below from  the lineup link given earlier where it shows CATV subscribers have 8 more western news channels than DSTV subscribers.

 

 Yeap, I'm still with the Platinum package but still getting a 30% discount from the current price.. And since I'm on a older plan 2 of the 4 settop boxes in my home have no monthly charge.

 

For the movie channels just for example, what movie channels numbers are doubled up?

 

Capture.JPG.b6e263c0178f2e7044fadbcf5f8dedb2.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Pib said:

Nope....the line-up is not the same across Thailand in that the TrueVisions DSTV (TrueVisions by satellite dish) provides fewer channels than TrueVision CATV (cable TV) and fewer HD channels.  CATV subscribers such as myself get more channels than DSTV subscribers and more channels are in HD.  Don't know if you are a CATV or DSTV subscriber.  

 

The channel line up given in the earlier post shows the different CATV and DSTV channels availability with the "asterisk" coding....I've included a partial snapshot below from  the lineup link given earlier where it shows CATV subscribers have 8 more western news channels than DSTV subscribers.

 

 Yeap, I'm still with the Platinum package but still getting a 30% discount from the current price.. And since I'm on a older plan 2 of the 4 settop boxes in my home have no monthly charge.

 

For the movie channels just for example, what movie channels numbers are doubled up?

 

Capture.JPG.b6e263c0178f2e7044fadbcf5f8dedb2.JPG

Thank you for that, it just shows one can learn something new each day.  As I have just moved, I am not connected at the moment but I had the satellite dish when I resided in Loei.  Just off the top of my head, there were the channels like Fox, Fox action HD and there are others that I cannot think of now but as you are more up to date then you would probably know what they are.   Oh, one is Warner TV, an other, National Geographic Channel, they are also doubled up.   It applies to all the sports channels, the news channels and most of the Thai Channels and from your list I see that I did not have Aljazeera, Australian Plus Today, Russia and the Deutsch one.

 

So is the list current as of the 1st June 2017?  I assume DSTV is the satellite dish, which always sees the system go down when it starts to rain. I was paying 2150B each month, for the platinum package.  I did get a 12 month promotion last year and the cost was reduced to just over 1800B.  So you are saying you get you package for less than the promotional fee and for how long have you been able to get such a high discount?  And you have more set top boxes as you operate more than one TV, is that correct?  May I ask what province you are in, because if your list is current then it would appear that if it relates to where you live then my list is different and by being in a different province and they provide different versions of the platinum package it would appear that I am being well and truly shafted? :wai:

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

Thank you for that, it just shows one can learn something new each day.  As I have just moved, I am not connected at the moment but I had the satellite dish when I resided in Loei.  Just off the top of my head, there were the channels like Fox, Fox action HD and there are others that I cannot think of now but as you are more up to date then you would probably know what they are.   Oh, one is Warner TV, an other, National Geographic Channel, they are also doubled up.   It applies to all the sports channels, the news channels and most of the Thai Channels and from your list I see that I did not have Aljazeera, Australian Plus Today, Russia and the Deutsch one.

 

So is the list current as of the 1st June 2017?  I assume DSTV is the satellite dish, which always sees the system go down when it starts to rain. I was paying 2150B each month, for the platinum package.  I did get a 12 month promotion last year and the cost was reduced to just over 1800B.  So you are saying you get you package for less than the promotional fee and for how long have you been able to get such a high discount?  And you have more set top boxes as you operate more than one TV, is that correct?  May I ask what province you are in, because if your list is current then it would appear that if it relates to where you live then my list is different and by being in a different province and they provide different versions of the platinum package it would appear that I am being well and truly shafted? :wai:

Yea, the channel lineup via TrueVisions DSTV (via satellite dish) and TrueVision CATV (via cable) is different although the same price.

 

For example the Platinum package via cable/CATV has approx 25 more channels than via satellite dish/DSTV.  See attached Platinum TV Channel Line up  as of 1 Jun 17....anywhere you see a "single asterisk" by a channel that means it's on CATV only; not DSTV.  And you can see my other asterisk coding CATV has more HDTV channels than DSTV.

 

TRUE VISIONS Platinum.pdf

 

I live in Bangkok....my moobaan got TrueVisions CATV in mid 2012; up until that time I had TrueVisions DSTV and put up with the loss of signal when it rained....and many times when it wasn't even raining in my area, but apparently raining at the TrueVisions "satellite up-link station" on the outskirts of Bangkok.   Once the moobaan got CATV most everybody switched from DSTV to CATV simply because of much better reception (no signal loss when raining), more channels, and same price.  And then I got a promotion where 4 settop boxes for the price of 2....boxes 3 and 4 were free of any monthly charge.   At that time CATV could handle up to 4 boxes per subscription (I think its more now) but DSTV could only handle 2 boxes per subscription.  

 

And when TrueVisions loss the HBO/Cinemax channels only to be replaced by lesser quality channels IMO I was able to get a Bt600/mo discount for 3 months by whining to Truevsions....have done that twice so far...I still good to go on the reduced price through this month or through August.

 

But even with this discount I told the wife Saturday that it  probably time to drop TrueVisions since we also have free C/KU band capability in the house that the wife primary watches....we also have the TrueVisions cable...and now the AIS IPTV with premium channels which includes the HBO/Cinemax channels TrueVisions loss (gave up) and AIS scooped up.   I basically have TV capability coming out my ears.

 

But I will  admit I will miss being able to easily watch CNN, CNBC, Bloomberg and various other channels that only TrueVision carries here in Thailand....I'll guess need to get use to some of the English European news channels like SkyNews and EuroNews on AIS IPTV and U.S. FoxNews on AIS.   And to tell you the truth over the last year "my" viewing of TV is significantly less than what it use to be....just losing interest I guess with many of the available channels "regardless of how I'm receiving them" such as via TrueVisions, free C/KU band, IPTV, etc.  I now tend to get most of my news from browsing news sites such as CNN, BBC, Bloomberg, etc.  

 

Maybe me just getting older is lessening my desire for TV viewing....maybe it's just the type of programming available....price is also a factor but not a major factor.   Yea, as mentioned earlier I'm not a fanboy of TrueVisions.   I hope AIS Fibre (which I have) continues to expand its channels offering...just last week they started offering 3 Playboxes (i..e., the Android box they give you for IPTV/movie watching) from only 1 box per subscription (i.e., fiber internet line connection) to 3 boxes per subscription....but box #2 and #3 will each cost you Bt100/month.   I probably add one box for sure....I think I can afford another Bt100/month in order to easily view the AIS IPTV channels in another room/on another TV...plus if I do drop TrueVisons which is highly probable that Bt100 is easily offset from the TrueVisions savings.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Pib said:

Yea, the channel lineup via TrueVisions DSTV (via satellite dish) and TrueVision CATV (via cable) is different although the same price.

 

For example the Platinum package via cable/CATV has approx 25 more channels than via satellite dish/DSTV.  See attached Platinum TV Channel Line up  as of 1 Jun 17....anywhere you see a "single asterisk" by a channel that means it's on CATV only; not DSTV.  And you can see my other asterisk coding CATV has more HDTV channels than DSTV.

 

TRUE VISIONS Platinum.pdf

 

I live in Bangkok....my moobaan got TrueVisions CATV in mid 2012; up until that time I had TrueVisions DSTV and put up with the loss of signal when it rained....and many times when it wasn't even raining in my area, but apparently raining at the TrueVisions "satellite up-link station" on the outskirts of Bangkok.   Once the moobaan got CATV most everybody switched from DSTV to CATV simply because of much better reception (no signal loss when raining), more channels, and same price.  And then I got a promotion where 4 settop boxes for the price of 2....boxes 3 and 4 were free of any monthly charge.   At that time CATV could handle up to 4 boxes per subscription (I think its more now) but DSTV could only handle 2 boxes per subscription.  

 

And when TrueVisions loss the HBO/Cinemax channels only to be replaced by lesser quality channels IMO I was able to get a Bt600/mo discount for 3 months by whining to Truevsions....have done that twice so far...I still good to go on the reduced price through this month or through August.

 

But even with this discount I told the wife Saturday that it  probably time to drop TrueVisions since we also have free C/KU band capability in the house that the wife primary watches....we also have the TrueVisions cable...and now the AIS IPTV with premium channels which includes the HBO/Cinemax channels TrueVisions loss (gave up) and AIS scooped up.   I basically have TV capability coming out my ears.

 

But I will  admit I will miss being able to easily watch CNN, CNBC, Bloomberg and various other channels that only TrueVision carries here in Thailand....I'll guess need to get use to some of the English European news channels like SkyNews and EuroNews on AIS IPTV and U.S. FoxNews on AIS.   And to tell you the truth over the last year "my" viewing of TV is significantly less than what it use to be....just losing interest I guess with many of the available channels "regardless of how I'm receiving them" such as via TrueVisions, free C/KU band, IPTV, etc.  I now tend to get most of my news from browsing news sites such as CNN, BBC, Bloomberg, etc.  

 

Maybe me just getting older is lessening my desire for TV viewing....maybe it's just the type of programming available....price is also a factor but not a major factor.   Yea, as mentioned earlier I'm not a fanboy of TrueVisions.   I hope AIS Fibre (which I have) continues to expand its channels offering...just last week they started offering 3 Playboxes (i..e., the Android box they give you for IPTV/movie watching) from only 1 box per subscription (i.e., fiber internet line connection) to 3 boxes per subscription....but box #2 and #3 will each cost you Bt100/month.   I probably add one box for sure....I think I can afford another Bt100/month in order to easily view the AIS IPTV channels in another room/on another TV...plus if I do drop TrueVisons which is highly probable that Bt100 is easily offset from the TrueVisions savings.

 

 

 

Thanks for that information.  I know I am a glutton for punishment, I just resigned with True for 12 months, with a 5,000 B reduction on costs for 5 months, a total payment of around 1,600B for the TV and 50gb of internet for the each of the 5 months.  Did not know about AIS, then I should have asked someone but I'll try True again for the one year.  I only have the one TV so the extra box top sets are of no use to me.  I'd rather have Fox news than that bloody crap dished out by CNN.  Another thing I forgot to ask is if I am getting the dish or cable. suffering from CRAFT disease, Can't remember a [email protected]#@#$ thing. :sorry::wai:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, "where you live" can be a major factor in what internet and TV service providers are available to you.  It's not like every internet or TV provider services every area, moobaan, condo building, etc.   Heck, when I first moved to my current western Bangkok house around 9 years ago my moobaan choices for internet providers was TOT, TOT, or TOT ADSL.  Yeap, only one internet provider serviced my moobaan....TOT had total rights for my moobaan.    And for TV it was either free to air C/KU band or TrueVisions DSTV (satellite dish).

 

Then in mid 2012 TrueVison completed installation of cable in my moobaan which provided TV and high speed internet....now there was some competition on the internet side.   Most people on TOT ADSL and TrueVisions DSTV cancelled/switched to True cable TV and internet due to much higher internet speeds, more channels and clearer channels on TrueVisions cable (and no loss of signal when it rains or just gets really cloudy), and sometimes even lower costs due to special cable plan promotions.  And of course many moobaan folks also had free C-band capability/dishes (you know the big black dish type) for their houses (as I do also) and if you are Thai chances are high you will be completely happy with just free C-band...and you can also put KU band capability on the same C band dish if desired as I did.

 

But once again, the free C/KU band capability is like 95% Thai and other non-English/non-western channels....no CNN, no BBC, no Bloomberg, just very little US/EU type programming.   To get easy-to-use western TV channels and since internet IPTV (Internet Protocol TV) was limited by slow Thailand internet speeds (for Thailand as a whole slow international internet speeds is still a major problem), TrueVisions was the 800-pound guerrilla in Thailand, pretty the go-to choice for western/English TV.

 

However, since the great majority of TrueVisions western channels are U.S. channels many/most non-U.S. folks really don't like the programming (not to imply U.S. folks like the programming either) and longed for TV programming from their home country such as the UK.  All quite understandable.  

 

With increasing internet speeds in Thailand due to fiber optics internet growing pretty rapidly in parts of Thailand, especially the high population parts, many of the Thailand internet providers are also now providing IPTV which is mostly just free C-band channels being also broadcast on the internet...and some internet providers like AIS Fibre have really stepped out by grabbing Thailand broadcast rights for the HBO/Cinemax and other premium channels that TrueVisions dropped or never had like HBO Go.  AIS Fibre seems to be making a very serious effort in grabbing a significant portion of the Thailand internet market via fiber optics and now also offering expanding TV services.   Time will tell how well they do, but I've been with them for a little over a year now and been very satisfied with their internet/TV service and reliability (up time/reliability is somewhere north of 99.9% I guessitmate on my personal experience; others AIS Fibre cusomters may not have be as lucking expecilly if their AIS Fibre is not "fiber-all-the-way-to-your-residence" like mine service an is instead "fiber-to-the-building only" and the last X-meters must be provided over building phone/DSL copper lines where various reliability problems can appear such as the fiber to VDSL converter having problems, funking/old phone/DSL lines in the building, etc.  

 

Faster internet and IPTV becoming more common along with more competition from AIS, 3BB, TOT, etc.,  I think has turned True into a 600-pound guerrilla in western TV customer market share in Thailand and I expect True will continue to lose weight if they keep dropping higher quality western channels with lower quality/less watched western channels.  Losing/dropping the HBO/Cinemax and some other western premium channels this year along with their 1 June  7% price increase surely can't help their market share.

 

I really don't have an issue with them doing a 7% price increase because that was their first price increase since like 2005 according press releases and I know for absolute sure they didn't have any price increase from 2009 when I first signed up with them....in fact, I was able to actually get a lower priced plan/promotion with the exact same or more TV capability a few times.   And although the plans usually say for 12 months only, in most cases the plan price continues long after that 12 month period unchanged until you possibly switch plans which could be many years later like how I'm still on one of their older plans from years ago.

 

As to whether you are getting TrueVision cable or satellite, well, since you said you signed up for combo type plan that includes a 50Mb interenet plan with a plan of that high of speed you are most likely going to be on a TrueVison cable/fiber connection.  Although you post said 50gb of internet I assuming you really meant 50Mb...but then again, maybe you signed up for internet via True Wifi and you plan has a 50gb per month limit?   If you residence is in a highrise and you don't see small satellite dishes all over the building they it probably a cable feed to that building unless you did sign up for Wifi internet. Hopefully it will be cable because you will not experience "rain-fade" TV signal loss, much faster internet speed capability, etc.   

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pib said:

Well, "where you live" can be a major factor in what internet and TV service providers are available to you.  It's not like every internet or TV provider services every area, moobaan, condo building, etc.   Heck, when I first moved to my current western Bangkok house around 9 years ago my moobaan choices for internet providers was TOT, TOT, or TOT ADSL.  Yeap, only one internet provider serviced my moobaan....TOT had total rights for my moobaan.    And for TV it was either free to air C/KU band or TrueVisions DSTV (satellite dish).

 

Then in mid 2012 TrueVison completed installation of cable in my moobaan which provided TV and high speed internet....now there was some competition on the internet side.   Most people on TOT ADSL and TrueVisions DSTV cancelled/switched to True cable TV and internet due to much higher internet speeds, more channels and clearer channels on TrueVisions cable (and no loss of signal when it rains or just gets really cloudy), and sometimes even lower costs due to special cable plan promotions.  And of course many moobaan folks also had free C-band capability/dishes (you know the big black dish type) for their houses (as I do also) and if you are Thai chances are high you will be completely happy with just free C-band...and you can also put KU band capability on the same C band dish if desired as I did.

 

But once again, the free C/KU band capability is like 95% Thai and other non-English/non-western channels....no CNN, no BBC, no Bloomberg, just very little US/EU type programming.   To get easy-to-use western TV channels and since internet IPTV (Internet Protocol TV) was limited by slow Thailand internet speeds (for Thailand as a whole slow international internet speeds is still a major problem), TrueVisions was the 800-pound guerrilla in Thailand, pretty the go-to choice for western/English TV.

 

However, since the great majority of TrueVisions western channels are U.S. channels many/most non-U.S. folks really don't like the programming (not to imply U.S. folks like the programming either) and longed for TV programming from their home country such as the UK.  All quite understandable.  

 

With increasing internet speeds in Thailand due to fiber optics internet growing pretty rapidly in parts of Thailand, especially the high population parts, many of the Thailand internet providers are also now providing IPTV which is mostly just free C-band channels being also broadcast on the internet...and some internet providers like AIS Fibre have really stepped out by grabbing Thailand broadcast rights for the HBO/Cinemax and other premium channels that TrueVisions dropped or never had like HBO Go.  AIS Fibre seems to be making a very serious effort in grabbing a significant portion of the Thailand internet market via fiber optics and now also offering expanding TV services.   Time will tell how well they do, but I've been with them for a little over a year now and been very satisfied with their internet/TV service and reliability (up time/reliability is somewhere north of 99.9% I guessitmate on my personal experience; others AIS Fibre cusomters may not have be as lucking expecilly if their AIS Fibre is not "fiber-all-the-way-to-your-residence" like mine service an is instead "fiber-to-the-building only" and the last X-meters must be provided over building phone/DSL copper lines where various reliability problems can appear such as the fiber to VDSL converter having problems, funking/old phone/DSL lines in the building, etc.  

 

Faster internet and IPTV becoming more common along with more competition from AIS, 3BB, TOT, etc.,  I think has turned True into a 600-pound guerrilla in western TV customer market share in Thailand and I expect True will continue to lose weight if they keep dropping higher quality western channels with lower quality/less watched western channels.  Losing/dropping the HBO/Cinemax and some other western premium channels this year along with their 1 June  7% price increase surely can't help their market share.

 

I really don't have an issue with them doing a 7% price increase because that was their first price increase since like 2005 according press releases and I know for absolute sure they didn't have any price increase from 2009 when I first signed up with them....in fact, I was able to actually get a lower priced plan/promotion with the exact same or more TV capability a few times.   And although the plans usually say for 12 months only, in most cases the plan price continues long after that 12 month period unchanged until you possibly switch plans which could be many years later like how I'm still on one of their older plans from years ago.

 

As to whether you are getting TrueVision cable or satellite, well, since you said you signed up for combo type plan that includes a 50Mb interenet plan with a plan of that high of speed you are most likely going to be on a TrueVison cable/fiber connection.  Although you post said 50gb of internet I assuming you really meant 50Mb...but then again, maybe you signed up for internet via True Wifi and you plan has a 50gb per month limit?   If you residence is in a highrise and you don't see small satellite dishes all over the building they it probably a cable feed to that building unless you did sign up for Wifi internet. Hopefully it will be cable because you will not experience "rain-fade" TV signal loss, much faster internet speed capability, etc.   

 

 

I am glad you know what I was trying to say because not being up to date, you know, the old fart syndrome, I was unsure but at least I got the 50 right.  Not in a high rise but found out that it was cable for the TV and then Wi Fi.  Given your explanation I would say that you know what I am trying to say.  All I can say is that the internet is very bloody fast and the TV reception is far superior to what I was getting in Loei.  Even the modem and set top box are really small in comparison to what I previously had.  Thanks for the info.:wai:

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not the company that " doesn't give a shit" it's the staff. Same attitude in homepro global tesco etc etc. They are paid peanuts so give the effort in proportion to their pay. 

No motivation no training so no service.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MJL1962 said:

It's not the company that " doesn't give a shit" it's the staff. Same attitude in homepro global tesco etc etc. They are paid peanuts so give the effort in proportion to their pay. 

No motivation no training so no service.

 

Well, I don't know where you shop but I just went and bought a heap of furniture and electrical goods from Home Pro and had the internet and cable TV connected through True and the service was fantastic, including delivery and installation.  Internet and TV connected within 20 hours.  All goods from Home Pro delivered and assembled, free of charge, within 3 days.  I wouldn't call that "staff not giving a toss." Would you?  

 

Maybe where I shopped their pay is higher and they were trained and highly motivated, who knows, I don't know but all I know is that I couldn't fault them.  In many areas where I have gone to Lotus, Big C, Makro, the bigger stores, the same has applied but then I address them in their own language, did you?:wai:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Just remembered I started this thread and failed to mentioned that I cancelled my TrueVisions in late July.   Also got my box refunds via direct deposit in 14 days from boxes pickup/turn-in (the quickness of the box refund shocked me based on my pass experiences with TrueVisions box deposit refunds over the years).   The AIS Fibre IPTV with Platinum HD TV/Movies (i.e., HBO movies, etc) provides everything I needed combined with other streaming like Kodi, Youtube, free/low cost streaming sources, etc.

 

Yeap, the loss of the Cinemax/HBO plus other channels on TrueVisions, their 7% Platinum/Gold packages price increase although I was getting a short term discount, and the availability of much lower cost AIS Fibre TV/movie programming plus other streaming sources for TV/movies was just too many extra straws added to the camel's back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:39 PM, petedk said:

I clicked "like this". I don't like the price increase, but I like the way you are confused just as we are.

 

I understand that if you pay for a year or six months before 31 May, you will get 1 year at the old price. (Maybe I am wrong)

 

I also get the impression that they will start charging for premier league.

 

 

 

True's marketing is geared towards confusion.Even you go to a True outlet the staff are equally confused.Ask them a  simple question like "what stations do I get for this particular package?" leaves them scrambling to the computer to print off info,well thats my recent experience.I wont go back,its a company I would never trust and getting your deposit back is a long arduos, task,done it twice, never again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...