Danish man dead as taxi overturns on way to Pattaya

webfact

I have had taxi drivers doing text messages, picking their nose and all sorts at high speed they are as dim as shit and half as useful and get angry if you say something because they are so 'special'. The worst I had was plucking his eyebrows with pincers!  third world indeed  RiP

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Don Mega said:

I do Pattaya to the wife's village atleast once a month and is a 1200km round trip. easily done in 8 hours.

That means an average of 150 km/h. Sorry, can't believe that. Or do you have an airplane ?

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

...it's what happens when the back seat passenger is not belted-up too.

As far as the vehicle rolling goes, I've been in a "roll-over machine" at work with HSE training, the belt holds you tight into the seat vertically also, when the vehicle inverts, possibly preventing or lessening head injuries.

usually find the buckle is choked with sweets crisps dust etc so the clip not work properly

Just now, tonboy said:

That means an average of 150 km/h. Sorry, can't believe that. Or do you have an airplane ?

Yeah slowing down annoys me greatly and adds unnecessary time to to the trip but Iam aim for 180km/h.

You have not added the 4 fuel stops to your calculation.

9 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah slowing down annoys me greatly and adds unnecessary time to to the trip but Iam aim for 180km/h.

you should opt for a bigger fuel tank in your airplane, or loose weight

Guest Jerry787

happen to me already few time, early morning taxi drivers from airport are dozing off, and then i keep talking to them, to keep them awake.... 

52 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I hope you don't take innocents with you when you meet your maker, which I hope is sooner than later, if that is your attitude on the roads.

4 hours ago, Freespirit said:

I have driven long distances in Thailand and its worth the price of a small can of coffee, or one of those caffeine based sport drinks to stay awake. 10 or 12 baht can safe your life and others. Always works for me. I recommend one every 4 hours and a 30 minute break.

It's a cheap life saver. R_d  B_ll , M_50 etc not sure were allowed to name them, but I'm sure you know which one's I mean. You only get one life buy the taxi driver one, it might save yours.

i would suggest out of PURE principle, that NOBODY spend ONE SINGLE BAHT on ANY PRODUCT from R_d B_ll; :post-4641-1156693976:

especially since it seems that a certain spoiled grandchild didn't care enough to save a life...

1 hour ago, tonboy said:

You never drive yourself these distances , I guess ?

I never did rely on the driving skills of any asian driver, so I always rented a car. First thing I did when emigrate to Thailand, I bought a pickup. Actually, I bought it already before I landed in BKK.

When I feel tired (not even sleepy), I take a break of 10 minutes, drinking some Iced cappucino and walking around.  I know driving around yourself in a car can be exciting, but if you are prepared (using google maps as navigator) as well as you anticipate, drive carefully and watch for unusual signs on the road before you, everything should go ok. 

I have driven myself the length and breadth of LOS solo,  (okay, not MHS as I hate curvy roads) -- and I agree completely.  Mostly I traveled by day, only a few times at night when well rested.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

If I am an illiterate, I have done very well for myself,what about you Mr.Smarty Pants.

Where in the OP does it say that the driver took them from Bangkok to Pattaya? where does it not ?

Did you know that you can also travel from Tak to Pattaya in a taxi driven by a Bangkok based driver? yes and to

Phuket,Chiang Mai, and anywhere else in Thailand for a price 

Oh, and that the man had a Thai girlfriend, and was travelling from upcountry Tak to Pattaya, makes it obvious that he had spent quite some time in the promised land already.   more supposition from you.

As with many news stories here the syntax is very bad, calling a taxi from Bangkok to Tak,then to Pattaya,makes no

sense to me.but then I am illiterate,

regards Worgeordie

Now then mate. We all make mistakes, but not all of us can admit it .  So cheer up and good luck . 

2 hours ago, pentap said:

Yet again, another driver fell asleep at the wheel!

A charge of manslaughter should be brought against that taxi driver!

R.I.P

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Is there such a charge in Thailand  If so then i agree with you...................but ?

I was contemplating driving from Koh Samui to Kukhan in november. I have never driven this far in Thailand before. But  after reading some of these posts i am beginning to fear the journey. Would it be safer to drive at night or during the day.

From this photo it appears that he sustained an injury to his head from the crushed roof. Not sure if a seat belt would have prevented it or not. From the photo it can not be determined if he was wearing a belt but he is still in his seat.. Yes, a helmet may have saved him.

NjpUs24nCQKx5e1BbCjDKC9znqX5b33q2ryXGEA756x.jpg

5 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

I was contemplating driving from Koh Samui to Kukhan in november. I have never driven this far in Thailand before. But  after reading some of these posts i am beginning to fear the journey. Would it be safer to drive at night or during the day.

Just a word of warning Thais drive at night to but their problem is they dont turn there lights on. So much fun when you are driving at night and next minute there is a car right in front of you no lights on If you drive during the day the Thais usually drive on the  wrong side of the road and pass you on double lines Sorry to have scared you Safe journey

Why would anyone in Tak order a taxi to come from BKK to collect them anyway ??????? 

Probably family of the gf. But you are right, why not get a Tak taxi to drive you and if he is tired on the way back then at least you are not in the cab.

If I was the farang I would have insisted on a local taxi. That's the problem when you let the tgf make all the arrangements.

3 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

It really depends on how sure you feel about driving at night. I prefer at night. But only after a good rest before. And please, with all the traffic around BKK, do not try to do it in one go. 

I've had 2 taxi drivers in Bangkok nod off on me while waiting at a red light.  One was an older gentleman who looked like he might have been on medication, the other was a younger guy (at 6 am) who was probably pulling a double shift.  

8 minutes ago, tonboy said:

It really depends on how sure you feel about driving at night. I prefer at night. But only after a good rest before. And please, with all the traffic around BKK, do not try to do it in one go. 

Thanks mate, my plan is to go slowly with an overnight stop before Bangkok. plenty of time on my hands.

5 hours ago, Freespirit said:

I have driven long distances in Thailand and its worth the price of a small can of coffee, or one of those caffeine based sport drinks to stay awake. 10 or 12 baht can safe your life and others. Always works for me. I recommend one every 4 hours and a 30 minute break.

It's a cheap life saver. R_d  B_ll , M_50 etc not sure were allowed to name them, but I'm sure you know which one's I mean. You only get one life buy the taxi driver one, it might save yours.

I get the 7/11 coffee without the ice plus a can of coffee,keeps me ticking over.

10 minutes ago, tonboy said:

As an ex long distance (interstate) truckie in Australia, i prefer night driving .  2000klm from Brisbane to Cairns.

About the same from Brisbane to Melbourne.   Did it many times, but Thailand is a whole different "kettle of fish "

27 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

Day for sure and break the trip up.

18 minutes ago, NCFC said:

Probably family of the gf. But you are right, why not get a Tak taxi to drive you and if he is tired on the way back then at least you are not in the cab.

If I was the farang I would have insisted on a local taxi. That's the problem when you let the tgf make all the arrangements.

I had to drive a taxi once because the driver was pissed.He directed me out of Bangkok and then went to sleep.

3 hours ago, ThaiTrav said:

Ha funny you say that , I had an experience whereby it was night going to the airport from the city and the driver kept driving off the road . If it wasn't for me reaching over and grabbing the steering wheel to oversteer for him  we would have hit the barrier blocks several times upon entry to the airport and had many a run off the road. I sort of sensed his vision was not good . Goodness knows how he drove alone . again on a recent trip from airport to Pattaya apart from having to yell at the driver to stop changing lanes for no reason and drive at speed then brake hard on the cars behind in front . I noticed not one but 5 rego stickers plastered on the windscreen , and amulets about 50 located all over the dashboard and the usual flowers and amulets to restrict vision hanging from the rearvision mirror . Don't they realize this is quite dangerous particularly at night trying to get a full view of the road ahead through the overtinted glass with all these obstructions and moving stuff to break concentration. The place is mad, when I drive with a cabbie I sit in front and make myself in reach of the gearstick ,handbrake and streering wheel and are prepared at all times to use whatever ,and my eyes are driving and lookout for whats ahead. and yes I often make myself vocal who cares what they think. its my life!

The best advice to a newcomer is if you find a cab whose driving skills are quite good and there are believe it some good ones who don't rip off or want to die yesterday. Get there card and keep it for when you need to use it long distance . i,ll give you one of mine Mr .A lek 0910298546 /0950674615 . He is very cautious and courtious .you can trust you or your family would be in good hands from Bangkok. Only downside is you have to book in advance or guess one could use Uber but not from airport , The drivers are a bit more cautious because they own therir own cars. Good luck! 

Thanks mate , for the numbers, i have put them in my little book.

10 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"The driver told police that he had left Bangkok at 5am and reached Tak at 10am. He was taking the couple to Pattaya."

he was taking them the very long way around ?,  RIP Danish guy. never got to the promised land.

regards worgeordie

Sounded more like they were taking the long way round.

48 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

I have been driving from Phuket to Kantharalak many times and slept over in Cha Am, that is half way.

I almost always drive in day time since it is to dangerous driving at night time, trucks with missing lights, holes in the road and  what ever laying on the road. 

When You come to Bangkok then take no. 9 south of Bangkok it cost a few baht  but more relaxing. 

Archived