"Customs" letter asking for 200baht payment

topt

Not sure if this should be in banking or Thai language.........

In my post box today received (but only just discovered) the attached in a KrungThai bank envelope although has www.customs.go.th on the bottom right.

The whitened out portions are apparently my name in Thai, my address and my passport number.

Can anybody shed any light on what they are asking 200 baht for as I have no idea?

20170428_210255.thumb.jpg.5a35ff3d3fc9beaeea1537ee45e8d883.jpg 

9 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

Maybe a ATM fee?

Possibly, but the ATM card fees are usually removed direct from your account, unless there's insufficient funds.

I suspect "CUSDEPT" isn't customs, but customer (service) dept. For 200 Baht I would just pay it, or go to the bank and ask what it's for.

41 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

Maybe a ATM fee?

30 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Possibly, but the ATM card fees are usually removed direct from your account, unless there's insufficient funds.

I suspect "CUSDEPT" isn't customs, but customer (service) dept. For 200 Baht I would just pay it, or go to the bank and ask what it's for.

Sorry I should have been clearer - never had anything to do with Krungthai Bank nor anybody I was close to.

Picture of envelope also attached envelope.jpg.43b3342d5de85c5dd22ae6a597d35a3f.jpgbut the back of the letter has a lot of writing about Customs contact points with a Call Centre no. in English - so I guess I will call them Tuesday (tried this morning but out of office hours apparently).

No idea why it loads upside down........and not sure how to change it..........

I showed your letter to my wife. The letterhead is Customs Dept.

The letter is a receipt to show that previously you owed them 200 baht, which has now been paid, and the balance is now zero.

Your name is still clearly printed in Thai in several places on the receipt, as are some of your address details.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

just call them and ask 

It purports to be a request from Thai Customs for payment of 200B for 'formal procedure' of goods you have received, presumably from abroad. It appears to say that you have already made one payment of 200B and now another payment for April is due by tomorrow, 30th April. Payment should be made through Krung Thai bank as stated.

If none of this means anything to you, best ignore the letter, it could well be a scam.

3 hours ago, electric said:

The letter is a receipt to show that previously you owed them 200 baht, which has now been paid, and the balance is now zero.

Your name is still clearly printed in Thai in several places on the receipt, as are some of your address details.

Unfortunately I cannot now edit.

2 hours ago, Xobtsiwt said:

It purports to be a request from Thai Customs for payment of 200B for 'formal procedure' of goods you have received, presumably from abroad. It appears to say that you have already made one payment of 200B and now another payment for April is due by tomorrow, 30th April. Payment should be made through Krung Thai bank as stated.

If none of this means anything to you, best ignore the letter, it could well be a scam.

So clear as mud then............It can't be both?

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Seems odd that a receipt has a paying in slip attached.

That said, it wouldn't be the first time I've attempted to pay a receipt.

@topt any idea what you paid customs 200 Baht for?

The only interaction I have had with customs and which only came to me this morning was maybe it was to do with the export of 2 dogs which needed clearance which happened about 7 weeks ago.  Although handled by an agent I was there and they had all my details.

Other than that I have never made any direct payment to customs - ever. 

2 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Sometimes the post office doesn't immediately charge applicable duties on an import. It's possible to get a payment request weeks later. Has the OP received a parcel from abroad in the past 1 or 2 months?

No.

Very normal customs letter I get them often.

The key point is to read if it is a bill or just a receipt - both look very similar. Best to have someone fluent in Thai read it for you.

I never personally pay the 200 baht instead our customs broker does it but customs has our address and sends the bill or receipt directly to us.

If the amount is not paid normally you can pay with your next customs transaction or they won't let the next shipment through...

Certainly not a scam.

1 hour ago, Ooladolla said:

What happens if you just ignore it and don't pay ?

1 hour ago, TravelerEastWest said:

If the amount is not paid normally you can pay with your next customs transaction or they won't let the next shipment through...

On 4/29/2017 at 4:01 PM, Crossy said:

If insufficient funds, the bank normally waits until funds arrive, then take their fee.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, electric said:

Thanks electric your wife was correct.

Spoke to them this morning and fee was paid

@Crossy I tried to ask why it had a paying in slip but did not get an answer.....