BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rockyysdt

Why are you drawn to Buddhism?

28 minutes ago, trd said:

I'm not interested in historical references or debates about scripture. You see, you think it's about the 84,000 teachings. So go and be a scholar and believe that's Buddhism. 

BTW are you referring to the Hindu/Vedic Agamas or Buddhist Agamas?

So you're telling us what an historical person taught but have no interest in historical evidence?  How does that work, it's just opinion then.

I never said there were 84,000 teachings, you did, I think it's pretty nonsensical that a teacher would create 84,000 teachings just to obfuscate his one and only teaching.  Even so why not 84,001 or 83,999?

But regarding my question, here is a very good analysis of the topic from Bhikkhu Bodhi http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/bps-essay_27.html

The teaching of the Buddha as found in the Pali canon does not endorse a philosophy of non-dualism of any variety, nor, I would add, can a non-dualistic perspective be found lying implicit within the Buddha's discourses. - Bhikkhu Bodhi

Regarding the Agamas the answer should be obvious considering this is a Buddhist forum.

But getting back to the original topic of this thread, Why are you drawn to Buddhism?

Regarding the Agamas the answer should be obvious considering this is a Buddhist forum.

But getting back to the original topic of this thread, Why are you drawn to Buddhism?
Well it's obvious that I'm not going to agree with you or Bhikkhu Bodhi since I know that non dual awareness is the reality and it's what the historical Buddha also discovered. You are free to believe whatever you want. I made a statement about the living truth and there is only one truth no matter where it comes from. So I know for certain what Buddha discovered, but he had many ways of teaching because he understood how the egoic mind works and what freedom means in the desireless state.

Tell me one thing you think you know about Buddhism that will end your journey as a seeker.

20 minutes ago, trd said:

Well it's obvious that I'm not going to agree with you or Bhikkhu Bodhi since I know that non dual awareness is the reality and it's what the historical Buddha also discovered. You are free to believe whatever you want. I made a statement about the living truth and there is only one truth no matter where it comes from. So I know for certain what Buddha discovered, but he had many ways of teaching because he understood how the egoic mind works and what freedom means in the desireless state.

Of course nobody is going to have a problem with your beliefs differing from Bhikkhu Bodhi if you present them as your beliefs, but you didn't present them as your beliefs but as the Buddha's teaching.  Presumably Jesus and Mohammed also taught non dual awareness is the reality in the trd world view.

I'm very happy for you that you know for certain what you believe, but you made a statement about the Buddha which amounts to alternative facts and fake news.

Of course nobody is going to have a problem with your beliefs differing from Bhikkhu Bodhi if you present them as your beliefs, but you didn't present them as your beliefs but as the Buddha's teaching.  Presumably Jesus and Mohammed also taught non dual awareness is the reality in the trd world view.

I'm very happy for you that you know for certain what you believe, but you made a statement about the Buddha which amounts to alternative facts and fake news.

No you're not happy at all.

1 hour ago, trd said:

No you're not happy at all.

That's an opinion, if you want to speculate about the happiness (or lack thereof) of others fine, again expressing opinion as fact is when it can become a problem.

That's an opinion, if you want to speculate about the happiness (or lack thereof) of others fine, again expressing opinion as fact is when it can become a problem.
Tell me something about Buddhism that will end your search.

2 hours ago, trd said:

That statement doesn't appear to make sense.

“Show me your Original Face, the face you had before your parents were born.”

I used the Buddha as my HIGHER POWER when I became a member of AA. I could not gel with Christianity. That was in 1984.

That statement doesn't appear to make sense.

“Show me your Original Face, the face you had before your parents were born.”

If my question doesn't make sense then what the heck draws you to Buddhism? It's very difficult having conversations with dogmatic Buddhists which is why I have yet to meet one who has awakened.

You cannot even see the face you have now except as a reflection in a mirror as reflected consciousness experienced in the body as citta. So what knows the face before you were born?

Cracking thread. A real interesting read. Something I've wanted to read about for some time and enjoying the comments this far. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I used the Buddha as my HIGHER POWER when I became a member of AA. I could not gel with Christianity. That was in 1984.
Christianity is a dualistic religion which sees you as separate from the absolute or higher power. In the non dualism of Buddhism and Vedanta the higher power is you because you are not separate from it.

6 hours ago, trd said:
13 hours ago, Brucenkhamen said:

Does this mean you are no longer searching?

If so, how did you know?

Does this mean you are no longer searching?

If so, how did you know?
That's a legitimate question. My search is over and I know because I am free from the bondage of action and suffering (dukkha). I am reluctant to say it however because many dogmatic seekers are addicted to the path and subconsciously don't want the path to end. They won't accept what I say therefore. Not only have they put Buddha on an impossible pedestal with grand notions about Nirvana of which they know nothing except as vague concepts, but they get trapped into thinking that accumulating more and more knowledge of the millions of words attributed to the historical Buddha is real knowledge. It is not. It is ignorance. Even in this forum, quoting non Theravada Buddhist texts will draw criticism, just like Catholics and Protestants, making Buddhism effectively a religion and belief system when in essence it is about removing ignorance to reveal the enlightenment that is already there.

Not a path, but the removal of an obstacle to reveal what is already there. The dogmatists don't remove but keep adding and even use it to bolster their position of "knowledge" by trying to gain a superior position by using quotations from scripture or using the name of a supposedly great and authoritive figure as if that alone confers some power to their arguments. The obstacle which needs to be removed is mind which reveals what remains which is non dual awareness. Abiding in that reveals the truth. Now you know what seeing Buddha on the road and killing him means. This is the essence of what Buddha taught.

So what draws you to Buddhism is not the need of a detailed knowledge of spiritual texts and mythology but a fundamental yearning for knowledge. Know that this knowledge has nothing to do with ideas, concepts, objects, opinions and with what Buddha said. Buddha knew that.

11 hours ago, trd said:

If my question doesn't make sense then what the heck draws you to Buddhism? It's very difficult having conversations with dogmatic Buddhists which is why I have yet to meet one who has awakened.

Grammatical problems aside the path of practice is not a search, it starts out as a search, for most people probably, but if you're still searching after 35 years then I'd suggest that there is a problem.

It's only difficult for you to have conversations with Buddhists because your motivation is to preach Advaita Vedanta.  Look at post #13 it sticks out on this thread like a sore thumb. How is a post that could be paraphrased as "The Buddha really taught Advaita Vedanta all the rest of the teachings are for you dummies that don't understand it" an appropriate response to the question Why are you drawn to Buddhism?

I think it is perfectly reasonable to challenge alternative facts on a forum like this, if you can let go of aversion to that process we might all learn something.

6 hours ago, trd said:

That's a legitimate question. My search is over and I know because I am free from the bondage of action and suffering (dukkha).

Your demeanor here tells a different story, but that's just my opinion.  Having said that the rest of your post is a pretty good outline of how the process of awakening works.