Video: "Negligent" foreign tourist on big bike slams into Thais

rooster59

Video: "Negligent" foreign tourist on big bike slams into Thais

aHR0cDovL3BlMS5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzQ0MS8yMjA3ODU4L25ld3MwOC5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

Dash cam footage has been posted on Facebook that shows a foreign tourist on a big bike without a helmet smashing into Thais on a motorcycle on the Koh Samui ring road.

The footage reveals that the foreigner undercuts the car with the dash cam then swerves out from behind a pick-up. Sanook said that he then collided with two Thais who were waiting to turn right.

Officer Parinya Raksakaew of Bo Phut police said that the foreigner had driven negligently and was also in the wrong for not wearing a helmet.

Three people were left injured on the roadway after the accident in the Lamai area of the holiday island. Sanook said it was lucky that the injured were not run over by other cars.

Police urged all rental shops on the island to only rent bikes to people with licenses and to insist on helmet wearing.

The footage was on a Thai page entitled "Nai Sai Sing Team".

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-30

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sort of stupidity on the roads happens everyday here, the nationality is irrelevant.  

The focus should not be on the nationality, whether Thai of foreign,  but how such accidents can be best avoided in the future.

Unfortunately it will probably just end up in the usual blame game.

What a total a$$h0!e... This is exceptionally careless and dangerous riding...  

It angers me that people can ride (or drive) like this with such disregard for the safety of others placing them in danger....  

I hope all parties were not seriously injured, I hope the rider learned a valuable life lesson and never rides like this again...  

I also hope the video can be used as education for others, its an excellent example of how poor, selfish and inexperienced riding can lead to significant injury in the blink of an eye. 

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

police said that the foreigner had driven negligently and was also in the wrong for not wearing a helmet.

Were the two Thais on the scooter wearing helmets?

It also looks like they were trying to make a right turn over a solid yellow line.

17 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

It also looks like they were trying to make a right turn over a solid yellow line.

"It also looks like they were trying to make a right turn over a solid yellow line."

Yes sure, but not being an excuse for the farang  himself overtaking on this same solid yellow line. 

On the other hand in Samui very few drivers respect the solid yellow lines that is why most of the time I do not overtake, being with my motorbike or my car .

So my answer could have been : A yellow what? In Samui :cheesy:

Yellow lines are all over Samui but I often have little choice but to cross them in order to overtake Sunday drivers who pull out without looking & then drive far slower than the conditions allow while hogging both lanes.

Back to this clip; I have almost identical dashcam footage showing a very near miss a couple of years ago where the clown in my lane missed a speeding bike in the other direction by a whisker.....

I capture the ol' blind bend routine every day?

See this all too regularly.
Undertaking drives me mental.
Hope the folks on the scooter are ok.....dont really give a toss for the idiot on the big bike.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I would say the undertaking is not a problem. The problem is that this guy thinks he can overtake without looking ahead, and then you can come along and started criticizing him for making an early him and event which bore no relation. I rode a much bigger and faster bike, I'll say I overtake and undertake a lot, squeeze through gaps and I drive fast, and I never did this in 12 years riding here or 16 in England before!

This person was simply very stupid. It is not about what he did, it is about the way that he did it.

Sent from my nose.

He would have come off sooner, if he had gone into the sand at the side of the road when he was undertaking. These 'big bikes' are the work of the devil. Maybe they can be ridden in Germany with some safety, but they are not for Thailand.

2 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

They were stopped opposite a family mart as there is a soi that goes down the side off the shop.

Last week I seen a car stopped in same place waiting to turn right and a Thai on a bike came screaming round the corner and almost slammed into the back off the static car. He stopped about 6 inches from the back off the car.

Bad area made worse by the family mart now being there also.

It is not so clear to me as it seems for others. To me it appears the big bike rider did

not cross the yellow line. The truck he was following squeezes over to the left because of

the oncoming scooter making a right was on his side of the road. The big bike rider

seeing the truck squeeze over leaving a meter  of "open" road to the right of him

attempted to pass but the scooter driver was already in the space waiting to make a

right turn. Not 100% sure but that is what it looks like to me.

2 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

^ All of secondary importance.

Primary importance when concluding fault is that one of them was a foreigner. 

Are you actually sat on a bar-stool right now as you wrote that?... or did you just hear it from someone while in a beer bar ?.... 

This 'bar-stool' myth is perpetually peddled by the inexperienced... live here for a while and you will soon see that we are treated with exactly the same indifference Thai's treat each other... 

The foreigner is not automatically deemed at fault...  but an inexperienced and naive foreigner may be lead to believe so... In the majority of cases the path of least resistance is taken... 

i.e. the foreigner is paranoid and accepts blame too easily when the BiB allocate blame much in the same way they do when dealing with a Thai on Thai event... that is: blame is generally proportioned to whomever appears more readily able to afford the damages...   Until of course one party or the other decides to standup for themselves or be stubborn and refuse to accept blame, in which case the BiB usually deal with the facts and proportion blame or simply allocate a compromising 50:50.... 

Of course, there are a number of stories otherwise, however, in aggregate we are dealt with fairly or as fairly as any other member of society (Thai) is dealt with. 

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Police urged all rental shops on the island to only rent bikes to people with licenses and to insist on helmet wearing.

Terrible accident true but can people see the irony in the above statement. To insist on wearing a helmet gee hop on the back of the bike behind him and watch him at all times. Mr. Policeman person come to Chiang Mai you would clean up enough in one day on helmet infractions in one day to retire. Unfortunately it would take a little work on your part. 

Clearly bad driving. Undertaking (and at speed) then overtaking without due care. But don't be quite so quick to judge. Look closely, he never actually crosses the line, it's the "victim" vehicle that is stopped straddling it and actually sticking its nose into oncoming traffic, and on an unsighted bend. Plus it's a solid line and so should never be crossed at all (not that that matters in this country both with driving style and poor road design).

And if they're going to talk about helmets they should mention that the "victims" weren't wearing any either.

Like every case here in the real world blame can be assigned in some proportion on both sides.  In this case it's a lot more on the big bike though.

Personally I care more about why everyone has to be so blythely racist. It doesn't matter in the slightest that the rider was Caucasian (I despise that word Fa**ng) and it shouldn't either to the racist posters in this forum nor to the racist commentator in the video pointing out the "Fa**ng" (an object not a person [Thai language]) with his pencil as if his ethnicity is a salient point in the investigation, before pointing out himself casually walking over for a closer look at the gore (he even explains he's going in for a closer look).

These accidents happen everyday all across this country. Reducing them is a big challenge for the Kingdom and one that will require action on many fronts, but falling back on racial stereotypes is not one of them.

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Right up the arse of the car. Pulls out to overtake around a corner at speed. Note yellow line. No overtaking. See it all the time. Really bad. No bikesmanship at all just point an go

I agree that the accident is 100% the fault of the motorcycle driver.

I'm not sure about the yellow line, though. Does it really mean "no overtaking", or does it mean "no passing over the line"?

Archived