Video: "Negligent" foreign tourist on big bike slams into Thais

rooster59

22 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Clearly the Thais making an illegal turn and stopped dangerously in the middle of the road also at fault here.

It is not illegal to make that turn on to the beach road. Thousands of people do it every day. You need to have a look at the intersection itself, not a video. The other poster who said it is on a bend is wrong - that part of the road is straight. If you knew where it is you could look yourself on Google Earth.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Every intersection on Samui has full line, do not overtake in intersection, off course you can turn.

Narrow road, villages, hills curves, basically you can not overtake on half the ringroad but nobody cares.

Had a close call the other year, turning out right on the ringroad, car coming from left had indicators to turn right, nooooooo he was overtaking in a busy intersection emoji35.png

I had my then three year old son with me.

He honked his horn and gave me the finger..... It was a western man in a Fortuner.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

Wow, very close call. The fact it was a foreigner makes it even worse. Obviously assimilating to well with the locals

rule of thumb when driving/riding, make sure you can clearly see the area of road you are about to enter and that it isn't already occupied or about to be

Lol Rule of Thumb - when you are riding, keep your thumbs on top of the bars so you do not hurt them when you hit the back of a bus 'coz you ride like a t.wo.t 555

Sent from my nose.

It is not illegal to make that turn on to the beach road. Thousands of people do it every day. You need to have a look at the intersection itself, not a video. The other poster who said it is on a bend is wrong - that part of the road is straight. If you knew where it is you could look yourself on Google Earth.

Well, no,it is not straight.
At the apex of the hill the road bears left and drops. It is impossible to see more than 5 meters up the road so that makes it a bend in my book and as a rider I treat it as such.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

You're wrong.

http://driving-in-thailand.com/road-markings-and-traffic-lights/

An unbroken solid line cannot be crossed.

The Thais were wrong to stop (on a bend) in the center of the road, in order to illegally cross a very easily seen solid yellow dividing line.

So you can't make a right turn out of your property or a soi? Don't be daft, it means no overtaking, nothing else.

20 minutes ago, Can samui said:

At the apex of the hill the road bears left and drops. It is impossible to see more than 5 meters up the road so that makes it a bend in my book and as a rider I treat it as such.

Yes it does bear left and drop after the intersection but you have a view of oncoming traffic for at least 50 metres. The traffic coming behind you has more.

Lol Rule of Thumb - when you are riding, keep your thumbs on top of the bars so you do not hurt them when you hit the back of a bus 'coz you ride like a t.wo.t 555

Sent from my nose.

Haha....nice!
Thumbs in great shape, rest of body........not so much but damn, that guy had nice thumbs!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/2/2017 at 1:11 AM, PoorSucker said:

Correct, if you are going from Lamai to Chaweng and stay at some resorts, it's seven km before unbroken line

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Driving from Tesco area yesterday, most of the ring road has solid line  almost everywhere to Maenam and beyond...(even the turn in to Makro)

So turning has to be permitted.... over taking no.

It all comes down to responsible driving... with due care and attention, which the driver in the video was not doing.

On 2017-4-30 at 1:14 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Are you actually sat on a bar-stool right now as you wrote that?... or did you just hear it from someone while in a beer bar ?.... 

This 'bar-stool' myth is perpetually peddled by the inexperienced... live here for a while and you will soon see that we are treated with exactly the same indifference Thai's treat each other... 

The foreigner is not automatically deemed at fault...  but an inexperienced and naive foreigner may be lead to believe so... In the majority of cases the path of least resistance is taken... 

i.e. the foreigner is paranoid and accepts blame too easily when the BiB allocate blame much in the same way they do when dealing with a Thai on Thai event... that is: blame is generally proportioned to whomever appears more readily able to afford the damages...   Until of course one party or the other decides to standup for themselves or be stubborn and refuse to accept blame, in which case the BiB usually deal with the facts and proportion blame or simply allocate a compromising 50:50.... 

Of course, there are a number of stories otherwise, however, in aggregate we are dealt with fairly or as fairly as any other member of society (Thai) is dealt with. 

An old insurance expression from UK came to mind. Knock for knock.

Probably different words nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Mr Beaver said:

It's double yellow lines that passing is not allowed, surely?

Surely the UK Highway code meaning "do not cross or straddle so you can overtake so long as you dont cross a solid line on your side and you must be back on your side ..." should be good enough for anyone.  I must say, I ignored that a few times also (I used to live in Hereford and Worcestershire - amazing roads and country around there).

From personal experience on a GSX-R - the actual maneuver is feasible given adequate visibility. I never rode the kind of bike he's on, but modern bikes continually surprised me with what I could get away with  the way you can extend control well outside any reasonable envelope, wet or dry, and just throw more power in for fun... It's actually impossible to judge from any camera shot coming from anywhere but inside his eye-sockets, but clearly he hit the bike and that's what makes him a <deleted>. I've done many VERY stupid things in my time, but never quite this stupid. It's not all about braking distances, because you can develop 'escape' plans... you always need those, when someone pulls out of a driveway when you're 20 metres away... if you weren't already thinking about it then you won't even know about it until after you heard the bang.

But really, enough said - he's an idiot (and we all do stupid things sometimes) so don't blame him - everyone loves playing, especially with the bigger machines... give him a Scoopy and he'd probably survive.

To allow him on anything heavier than a bicycle is verging on criminal - though Asians do tend to  put 150cc machines in the 'bicycle' category - with some countries debating whether they should even bother with driving licences at all.

Strange how 'foreigners' are always pointed out to be bad drivers/riders, instead of Thais which in the majority of cases, are involved in most of the carnage on the roads. Selective finger-pointing doesn't make me impressed.

• 4 months later...

Watching the video again, I can only say that the rider was driving dangerously and without regard for other road users regardless of their nationality.

An experienced and qualified rider would never ride that close to the back of a car then pull out in the way they did when they hit the stationary bike turning right.

On 30/04/2017 at 10:40 AM, Happy Grumpy said:

Were the two Thais on the scooter wearing helmets?

It also looks like they were trying to make a right turn over a solid yellow line.

They look as though they had gone past the turn as well so were most likely about to do a U'y over the solid line or may actually have been already on the wrong side of it.

50/50.

15 hours ago, overherebc said:

They look as though they had gone past the turn as well so were most likely about to do a U'y over the solid line or may actually have been already on the wrong side of it.

50/50.

No they weren't over the line. They were actually doing what they should be doing, stopping and waiting for oncoming traffic to pass before turning. The rider behind was riding like an idiot pulling out when they had no clear view of the road and caused the accident. End of.

On 5/15/2017 at 3:43 PM, the guest said:

Strange how 'foreigners' are always pointed out to be bad drivers/riders, instead of Thais which in the majority of cases, are involved in most of the carnage on the roads. Selective finger-pointing doesn't make me impressed.

I agree! 

They selectively have forgotten about the Thai male who rear-ended a sports reporter from OZ and her fiance, down in Phuket. They killed the girl, and then the cops arrested the fiance and tried to extort 30,000 baht from him. If not for the video he would have paid or been put in jail. Of course, as part of the deal, there were no charges for the Thai killer.

They're always right and we're always wrong. Sadly, get used to it or leave. 

On 5/15/2017 at 3:43 PM, the guest said:

Thats the same in every aspect here.  Kids appear to be brought up with no understanding of taking any personal responsibility for their actions, theres a national failure to ever look in the mirror, but rather to play the blame game and theres a total lack of morality and integrity due to the national obsession of money being "no1"

Anyones free to disagree and if so enjoy your time in LaLaLand :smile:

On 4/30/2017 at 10:32 AM, richard_smith237 said:

It angers me that people can ride (or drive) like this with such disregard for the safety of others placing them in danger....  

Its a multi time experience anytime I cross a road, ride on a road or drive on a road....its difficult not to react when faced with such stupidity over and over....

5 hours ago, carmine said:

Thats the same in every aspect here.  Kids appear to be brought up with no understanding of taking any personal responsibility for their actions, theres a national failure to ever look in the mirror, but rather to play the blame game and theres a total lack of morality and integrity due to the national obsession of money being "no1"

Anyones free to disagree and if so enjoy your time in LaLaLand :smile:

As you would know you see kids standing on scooter florboards face first into the eye of the devil here time and time again, and if the survive it must impede on their understanding of how much damage can happen

On 5/1/2017 at 5:39 AM, Can samui said:

Thumbs in great shape, rest of body........not so much but damn, that guy had nice thumbs!

Gives the medics something handy to grab hold of when they drag you to the side of the road.

"Farang gives "thumbs-up" to Thai ambulance workers."

---------------------

Sure looks to me like the scooter was on or well over the center line, into the oncoming lane.  But the big biker should have avoided them.  Driving like a fool.

On 4/30/2017 at 6:29 PM, Get Real said:

I can see that you are eager to drag thai people in to the conversation as quick as possibly. 

Just try to understand that this was a foreigner doing the wrong thing, and that it ain´t funny.

Yes, but he does fit in quite well don't you think ?  When in Thailand, drive like a Thai.

Archived