Border crossing Chong Chom/O'Smach with own car December 2016

off road

Hi,

Firstly thank you to Phuketrichard for your invaluable advice.  I crossed into Cambodia with my own car (Ford Ranger) on the 22 December 2016. (About 8 am) It took no more than an hour. Docs needed were passport and Blue rego book, + copies of each.

Thai Immigration first....stamped out.  Then paperwork for the car to be typed up at the small office behind the Immigration office.  10 minutes and 100 baht. 

Then cross the road to get the export documents typed up and sign in the book.  ( 15 mins)  The temporary export doc was valid for a month.  All the officials were pleasant and polite. Good to go through to the Cambodian Immigration ...200 meters.

Filled out the visa forms and presented them to the young buck behind the window .....a $20 and a $10 already in my hand.  He wanted baht. I stood my ground . End result was that he asked me for 200 baht for food.   I gave him 100 baht.

Visa sorted, then it was down the hill....500 meters? to the Cambodian import of vehicles office. Same deal there.  15 minutes...paper typed up....sign in the book. Picked up a local sim card from the row of shops opposite and I was on the road.  Total cost $30 for Cambodian Visa  plus 200 baht. Google maps works fine.

I did a lot of miles.  Too much too quick....but I like driving.  First stop was the temples at Banteay Chhmar.. then   ..Siem Reap  for 4 nights over Christmas.  Then:  Stung Treng....Ban Lung....Sen Monorom....Kampong Cham....Sihounoukville for NYE ....Phnom Penh.....then back to SR  and to  the border at O'Smach. (4th Jan 2018)  30 minutes at the border and I was back in Thailand. No problems. No police stops.  I shall go again.....soon!  Stayed in $10 - $15 a night hotels with secure parking. Booked on Agoda same day.

Kind Regards, Off road

• 3 months later...

It's been a couple of years since I went through that border. I also drove my car - went in through O'smach and out through Poipet. I used an agent who did the paperwork for me, as it was my first trip to Cambodia with my own vehicle. I later found out that wasn't necessary.

I wasn't given any documents on the Cambodian side though - they simply stamped my Thai customs form with a red stamp written in Khmer. What kind of paper did they type up for you?

Were you asked where you were going? I've read some reports of people driving through that border who were given the runaround for telling customs they were heading to Siem Reap or further. Although I told the officer that when I passed through there, since I used an agent I was safe as they made that known to customs when they did my paperwork for me but if I go again I will tell the officer "Samrong", which is in the same province just to avoid scrutiny. Of course I actually plan to drive around the country, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and to the Vietnamese border and back.

Were you told to return through the same border, or you wanted to go back through there anyway?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Apologies for not replying sooner.

The Cambodian paper for the car was minimal. Info entered in the big leger book and I signed.   Had to sign it again on the way back.  I did a short trip to Siem Reap in July for 4 days and this time the Cambodian office ( at the bottom of the hill) kept my blue car log book. Basically telling me that I had to exit there as well.  That was ok.  He was also ok with me taking his picture holding up my log book. On my return  he did remind me to delete the picture.

I made a point of telling them that I was just going to Siem Reap. In fact I think they did ask.

All in all, an hour going....and 30 min coming back.  I like to arrive at border crossings in the morning.

19 hours ago, off road said:

Hi,

Apologies for not replying sooner.

The Cambodian paper for the car was minimal. Info entered in the big leger book and I signed.   Had to sign it again on the way back.  I did a short trip to Siem Reap in July for 4 days and this time the Cambodian office ( at the bottom of the hill) kept my blue car log book. Basically telling me that I had to exit there as well.  That was ok.  He was also ok with me taking his picture holding up my log book. On my return  he did remind me to delete the picture.

I made a point of telling them that I was just going to Siem Reap. In fact I think they did ask.

All in all, an hour going....and 30 min coming back.  I like to arrive at border crossings in the morning.

Yes they are starting to hold the blue books more often. For some reason, there is no consistency when it comes to whether the customs papers or the blue book will be held. I've been seeing Cambodian customs randomly ask for one or the other depending on their mood or other factors. Strange that he remembered you well enough to ask you to delete his pic days later. Perhaps because there were so few vehicles passing in/out of there?

Although I also like crossing borders in the morning where possible, it almost never works out because I usually aim to drive all the way from home to my destination (in Cambodia or Laos) in one day so I usually arrive at the border in the afternoon. I try to leave early enough so I don't have to drive after dark at my destination, though that usually doesn't work out either - traffic, stops for meals, road works, the border crossing and the unpredictable nature of roads in Cambodia (and Laos, when I go there) never allow me to get to my destination on time - instead of an estimated 6pm it ends up being 9pm you get the drift. I have noticed that when crossing into Cambodia late, for example one trip I made where I headed to Koh Kong I crossed at 9pm and customs and immigration where very speedy on both sides of the border. Could well be some advantages to crossing at such times as officials want to go home and start speeding up things.

Since my second trip to Cambodia by car, i've always entered and exited at Koh Kong where they would usually just hold the Thai customs temp export paper, though even back when I first went through there, I noticed they had a folder with blue books too. I've only ever been asked for the blue book myself this year, in previous years was never asked.

Also noticed on my last trip on the way back to Thailand that in the folder with the temp export docs, there were a number of Malaysian registration docs in there too that were in the form of loose sheets of paper (maybe instead of a booklet, Malaysia issues paper registrations, idk?) However, on the day I entered Cambodia, a Malaysian pickup was parked in no man's land and I was told he wasn't allowed to enter, funnily though that same day a couple of hours later 5 Malaysian pickups were headed to Koh Kong (I assume they were going to cross the border into Thailand, because it is a border city and isn't a major tourist destination). Could be that the Malaysian pickup that wasn't allowed to enter didn't bring his registration and assumed that whatever docs worked for him at the Thai-Malaysia border would work at the Thai-Cambodia border. He knew well enough to use Koh Kong, rather than say Poipet which would have refused him entry, but since foreign vehicles leaving Thailand hand in all their Thai customs paperwork, these vehicles go into the next country without any docs apart from their home country registrations (and carnets etc. if necessary).

Though there is still no system in place and there's really very little difference with the procedures from a couple of years ago, it seems that unless you are a regular that comes and goes regularly, often enough so that the customs people remember you, they want to ensure you really do exit at the same border crossing (by holding your registration documents) since that is what the Thai side now enforces on Cambodian private vehicles, all because Cambodia has for some unknown reason not yet signed a cross-border transport agreement covering private vehicles with Thailand, despite the best relations between the two countries in years, perhaps ever.

You mentioned you went to Phnom Penh last December? How much time did you spend there?

On every one of the 3 trips where I've driven my Thai car to Phnom Penh (I'm not counting returning through Phnom Penh on the same trip a few days later as a separate occasion so technically you could say I've been 5 times) I've been stopped by the police. The first two encounters were pleasant enough, the most recent one was a little bit more annoying.

First time I was stopped was on Norodom blvd, just south of the roundabout near the first lights where you have all those ATMs on both sides of the road. After being relieved of $3, off I went. Second time on another occasion I was relieved of the equivalent of $3 in Vietnamese dong on Monivong blvd. Third time again on Norodom near the st. 110 intersection the young officer was being a bit of a smartypants so I had to give him $5, because he was proceeding to write up a ticket for not having any "Cambodian customs temp. import papers" even though I mentioned that these aren't provided at the border. First he wanted $50, then $10 and finally I was able to get him to stop writing on his pad for $5.

Best advice I have to avoid getting stopped in Phnom Penh (apart from removing your license plates perhaps) is to avoid driving along Monivong blvd, between the Russian blvd (airport road) intersection and the Vietnamese embassy (st. 466) and Norodom between the st. 110 intersection that leads to Russian blvd and the Mao Tse Tung blvd intersection between the hours of approx. 7am and 6pm. North and south of these intersections are embassy and government offices, so you're unlikely to see traffic police there.

Driving along these streets at night is fine, the police don't work then. I'm not sure of the exact hours when Cambodian traffic police work, but I think it's reasonable to assume between the hours I've mentioned (from Mon to Sat at least, not sure about Sun) - every intersection I drove past on Norodom last time I got stopped had police and then I was finally stopped at the last police post before turning onto st. 110. It seems there are more police on Norodom than Monivong, so it's possible to drive along Monivong for a block or two if need be even during the day (for example to go to Lucky!Lucky!) before turning onto a side street.

There could also be police on other major roads but have never encountered anything. Saw some police on Russian blvd close to the intersection with Monivong but didn't pass through there otherwise that whole road seems to be fine.

Driving along sides streets like st. 57/63 to go north/south is best and traffic is better anyway, you don't encounter as many traffic lights. No problems near the riverside either or anywhere along the outskirts of town. It's only on the main roads in the city center (downtown) where you need to be careful.

• 9 months later...

LOL:

I just copied an pasted my post from 2016  as its EXACTLY the same

Crossed today from O'smach into Cambodia with the car,

visa $30

cars paperwork, free

no questions about driving in other than immigration asked where i was headed.

all in all about 30 minutes

Surin to SR was 3 1/2 hours

2 years since i was last in sr, the town has doubled in size it seems

Many more hotels, gas stations and highway 6 is a disgrace to the country. Third rated roads in Thailand are in better condition. 

Whatever anyone says, Camboida is POOR and  see no changes anywhere soon...

Election coming soon yet NO ONE else has posters up other then HE>>>

wonder who will win>>>>

• 4 weeks later...

fyi;

Drove from Osmach to Kampong Chan- PP-Kep-Kampot-Kep- (  a few times),up Bokor mtn,  Koh Kong

exited from Camboida back to Thailand at Hat lek,

NO problems except the roads are worse now than they were 2 years ago.  Terrible in fact, to bad the Chinese are not giving someone some $$ to fix them.

Was stopped at the border and told that since i entered at Osmach I need return to Osmach to leave, well i said they allowed me in so...

anyway as i know that if u enter at KK u need pay 100 baht/day u keep ur car in Camboida so offered them 2,000 baht for my 20 days.

OK   you can go...:-).....ahh corruption is alive and well in Cambodia...

u do not have a hassle if u leave at Pailn or Poi pet

On 8/9/2018 at 6:04 PM, phuketrichard said:

fyi;

Drove from Osmach to Kampong Chan- PP-Kep-Kampot-Kep- (  a few times),up Bokor mtn,  Koh Kong

exited from Camboida back to Thailand at Hat lek,

NO problems except the roads are worse now than they were 2 years ago.  Terrible in fact, to bad the Chinese are not giving someone some $$ to fix them.

Was stopped at the border and told that since i entered at Osmach I need return to Osmach to leave, well i said they allowed me in so... 

anyway as i know that if u enter at KK u need pay 100 baht/day u keep ur car in Camboida so offered them 2,000 baht for my 20 days.

OK   you can go...:-).....ahh corruption is alive and well in Cambodia... 

u do not have a hassle if u leave at Pailn or Poi pet 

Whenever I have left at Koh Kong I've always entered there - they normally just lift the gate as soon as I get my documents back from them. I guess they noticed you weren't getting your documents back hence why you were hit up for a fine. I would have left from Pailin (Prom - Pong Nam Ron) instead.

Indeed Poipet-Aran is easy. Just drive across the border, no questions asked, no one even sees your car or cares, because there's so much traffic there.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the current situation on entering Cambodia from Thailand by car at one border crossing, and exiting on another border crossing? There are some reports who did this, other say it can't be done.

I'm traveling with a friend by his car, he does all the paperwork and talking, so all information I have is second hand. He talked to the border guards and was told he has to exit Cambodia on the same border crossing (and so we did last year, see my report

Next week we will be going in at O'Smach, then to Siem Reap, Phra Viharn, Siem Reap, Battambang. Return to Thailand via Poipet or nearby (my favorite would be Pailin) would save a lot of time and km. Any suggestions how to arrange that?

I did it mid july, exited this month

suggest you enter at Osmach, exit at Pailin or Poi Pet.

dont use Koh Kong as i did unless your willing to fork out 100baht/day

IF ur driving down from Osmach, make a turn and go see Banteay Chhmer temples,  there great and u can still be in sr by late afternoon.   Also drive up to Koh Ker from SR

And what about the documents they keep at the border crossing and you are supposed to pick up on your return? That's exactly what I have in mind, entering at O'Smach and exiting at Pailin (for return to Bangkok). But it's my friend's car and he did all the paperwork and talking last time we went to Cambodia.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from Cambodia, in at Osmach and out at Pailin, going with a friend by his car. He enquired at Osmach, and I listened: normally they keep the blue book, which means you have to leave at the same border. And I saw a stack of blue (and pink or purple for Lao cars) books in their office. But on request, and depending on the officer's mood, it is possible to take all car documentation with you and exit elsewhere.

On exiting Pailin, my friend asked Cambodian customs if he can take his car in and out there, and got a yes.

On exiting Pailin, I got stamped into Thailand for 30 days despite having a tourist visa. I noticed but didn't say anything, as my next trip out of Thailand is in less than 30 days so I don't need 60 days, and I didn't want to cause delays for people behind me, or waste space in passport for a new stamp. But now I wonder, was that just a mistake by immigration officer or do they have a policy of stamping people in only for 30 days?

23 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

I'm back from Cambodia, in at Osmach and out at Pailin, going with a friend by his car. He enquired at Osmach, and I listened: normally they keep the blue book, which means you have to leave at the same border. And I saw a stack of blue (and pink or purple for Lao cars) books in their office. But on request, and depending on the officer's mood, it is possible to take all car documentation with you and exit elsewhere.

On exiting Pailin, my friend asked Cambodian customs if he can take his car in and out there, and got a yes.

On exiting Pailin, I got stamped into Thailand for 30 days despite having a tourist visa. I noticed but didn't say anything, as my next trip out of Thailand is in less than 30 days so I don't need 60 days, and I didn't want to cause delays for people behind me, or waste space in passport for a new stamp. But now I wonder, was that just a mistake by immigration officer or do they have a policy of stamping people in only for 30 days?

it was a mistake,  did u enter the tourist visa number on ur arrival form?
you Should have notified him right away,

I always check i got the correct stamp before i step out of line

Ban Pakkard or Ban Laem

I have left with my car at both borders...

• 6 months later...
On 9/8/2018 at 9:39 AM, ChristianPFC said:

I recently entered through O'Smach. I have also been through there a few times and never have I seen any blue books held. I got a temporary import form and returned it to the Phsar Prum border control where I exited. Officer took it off me, said thanks and I was on my way.

No, you should have gotten 60 days. Did you enter your visa number correctly?

Archived