Rocket festivals in Issan

The manic

I can not find an Issan Forum. I wish to enquirer about the Bun Bang Fai Rocket festivals this year. Last year I went to Sisikit, Yasothon and Kalasin. It was fantastic. This year i want to go to Udon and Roi Et rocket festivals.  Does anyone know where I can get some reliable info especially in view of the recent death of the His Majesty and the mourning period. Any advice would be appreciated

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, The manic said:

Does anyone know where I can get some reliable info especially in view of the recent death of the His Majesty and the mourning period. Any advice would be appreciated

The TAT website has some good information on upcoming events and festivals.

See here.

At least locally (Buriram) many if not all Bun bang fai festivals have been stopped following a tragic event a few years ago, a couple sitting in a car were struck by a falling rocket and burnt to death. The best ones were the small village affairs, watching a monk making gun powder with a fag in his mouth impressed me I can tell you.

24 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

From 11-14 May here.

More than one Thai language source shows this (11 to 14).

https://travel.kapook.com/view170072.html

Light blue script: 11 - 14 May 2560

bangfire600.jpg

From 8 to 11 there seems to be some market (OTOP) before the actual rocket festival.

http://www.amazingthaitour.com/เที่ยวเทศกาล/เทศกาลงานประเพณีบุญบั้งไฟ-จังหวัดยโสธร-ประจำปี-2560-yasothon-thai-rocket-festival-2017/

5 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Can't have a thread about the rocket festival without posting this:

Well filmed, but I was waiting to see if it was haloed on someone's unsuspecting head :-)

6 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

More than one Thai language source shows this (11 to 14).

https://travel.kapook.com/view170072.html

Light blue script: 11 - 14 May 2560

bangfire600.jpg

From 8 to 11 there seems to be some market (OTOP) before the actual rocket festival.

http://www.amazingthaitour.com/เที่ยวเทศกาล/เทศกาลงานประเพณีบุญบั้งไฟ-จังหวัดยโสธร-ประจำปี-2560-yasothon-thai-rocket-festival-2017/

Thanks for this link - much appreciated but the dates differ from the sites which is why I am seeking advice fro\m TV experts

8 hours ago, jgm005 said:

Kutdu, Nongbulamphu, Nonsang District has theirs 13/14 May.  They are starting up in most villages now. 

Yep Kutdu near kuchinarai - kalasin has the round rockets.  Brilliant.  would it be possible to to Yasathon then Kutdu - then udon?  Thanks for your reply The Roi et one looks intersting too

11 hours ago, cooked said:

At least locally (Buriram) many if not all Bun bang fai festivals have been stopped following a tragic event a few years ago, a couple sitting in a car were struck by a falling rocket and burnt to death. The best ones were the small village affairs, watching a monk making gun powder with a fag in his mouth impressed me I can tell you.

No very few have been stopped . I went to three last year 100s of thousands of people attended Yasathon - Kalasin and sisaket and it was brilliant

14 minutes ago, The manic said:

Exactly

Its best to ring up a local hotel to get real info.  But what gets me is that there is no comprehensive list of all these events - I think its an Issan racist issue with the TTA not wanting to to promote or acknowledge Lao or Issan culture.

Hi,

I was looking for exactly the same information and could not find any information except the conflicting dates for yasothon like you. Thanks for starting this topic. I'm trying to go and see that festival for the first time in my life, before the 13th, as I need to be back to Bangkok on the 13th May.

Where would you recommend?

1 hour ago, thisaomai said:

Hi,

I was looking for exactly the same information and could not find any information except the conflicting dates for yasothon like you. Thanks for starting this topic. I'm trying to go and see that festival for the first time in my life, before the 13th, as I need to be back to Bangkok on the 13th May.

Where would you recommend?

Yasothon is the biggest with great music and parades and music and Fantastic Rockets. Just get the dates right. The kalasin one in kuchwa near kuchinarai has the round Rockets after yasathon and is spectacular. Sisakit has a good one and I did all 3 back to back last year. Udon has one but it clashes with the others. All around 5 to 12 may. but you need local info to get the date right. Roi et has one in June and maybe one in July. You can find my video about them on Dijahtal Arts you tube channel. DIJAHTAL Arts that is. There are plenty of hotels or resorts available. I flew to roi et airport and then by taxi to yasathon. 

6 hours ago, The manic said:

No very few have been stopped . I went to three last year 100s of thousands of people attended Yasathon - Kalasin and sisaket and it was brilliant

Most festivals have been stopped.

11 hours ago, The manic said:

https://www.thaivisa.com/

This is the page I get when I try to acess the issan forum

And why not continue (click) to the Forums home?

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/

Scroll down and click on the Isaan subforum:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/32-isaan-forum/

If that does not work, you have a problem with your browser/PC.

I don't get your point.

11 hours ago, The manic said:

Thanks for this link - much appreciated but the dates differ from the sites which is why I am seeking advice fro\m TV experts

That is why I show the official poster for the festival.

So now it's up to you what you believe.

Well reputed blogger Richard Barrow has pointed too today:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/859213103292194816

Some off-topic/nonsense posts removed.

Read the OP and contribute if possible:

On 30.4.2017 at 9:08 PM, The manic said:

This year i want to go to Udon and Roi Et rocket festivals.

A short search for Udon Thani didn't bring up results.

For Roi Et I found two sources in Thai saying 9. and 10. June (Friday, Saturday).

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Which festivals?

Source!

There are many people that think they know all about Thailand through use of Google. The TAT site is a dead loss.

The f***ing source is my own eyes and ears, all the village festivals in the region here have been stopped. They probably made up 95% or more of all Baan bung fai festivals and for my money they were the most worthwhile visiting.

1 hour ago, cooked said:

There are many people that think they know all about Thailand through use of Google. The TAT site is a dead loss.

The f***ing source is my own eyes and ears, all the village festivals in the region here have been stopped. They probably made up 95% or more of all Baan bung fai festivals and for my money they were the most worthwhile visiting.

All rocket contests have been stopped here as well. Normal float parade through the village will go ahead as usual. I don't think anyone's been killed taking part in that.  :smile:

8 hours ago, cooked said:

Most festivals have been stopped.

NO they have not!  Simply not true. In view of bereavement issues one or or two such as the Surin elephant round up was cancelled - some festivals have been toned down - or modified to acknowledge sadness at the King's passing such as the Lopburi Monkey feast but the rocket festivals have not been stopped.  Nor the candle festivals etc etc.  You are a 100 percent wrong.  So why print such false information?

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I don't get your point.

That is why I show the official poster for the festival.

So now it's up to you what you believe.

Well reputed blogger Richard Barrow has pointed too today:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/859213103292194816

Its simple in a way - yu ring up a hotel in the local area and ask them for details. Thats how I got to Yasathon, Kudwa and and sisaket at the correct dates. However, the mourning period is an issue this year.  But we had a thread about this last year and discussed hotels in Kuchinarai/Kudwa/Kalasin....we discussed a music venue in Sisaket.......So where has that thread gone?  This is why I started a new one..........

Archived