When foreigners think of Thailand they think of sex, say Thais

webfact

When foreigners think of Thailand they think of sex, say Thais

nl.jpg

Picture: File photo

BANGKOK: -- A poll about attitudes towards prostitution has clearly indicated that Thais believe foreigners think of sex when they think about Thailand.

A whopping 58% of Thais asked in the Bansomdej poll said that foreigners see Thailand as a leading sex destination of the world. Some 29% said they didn't know and about 13% were not sure.

The poll asked 1,158 Thai people in Bangkok their opinions and came in the wake of comments in foreign media about places like Pattaya and the sex scandal developing in Mae Hong Sorn, said Daily News.

The survey showed that people believed that the sex trade was shifting from traditional places to the internet with more than 61% saying they had seen evidence of the Thai sex trade online.

Nearly 53% believed it was time to invoke the powers of Article 44 to curb the trade.

Just under 50% said that Thailand was not fully ready to legalize the sex trade though nearly 34% said that it should be legalized.

Daily News said that statutes forbidding the trade exist but that it is in reality allowed to flourish.

More than half of the people polled, 53%, said that they were aware of prostitution in Thailand in some way. In public the majority of those still see prostitutes touting for business in the capital at places like Lumpini Park or Wong Wian Yai in Thonburi.

Others see the trade at cafes and karaoke, or know of it in massage establishments of both the soapy and traditional kind or through the internet.

Some 61% of people online saw evidence of the Thai sex trade there.

Asked why people turn to the sex trade 30% said it was economic hardship, 25% thought people were tricked or forced into it, 21% said poverty in families was to blame while nearly 12% pointed to greed and consumerism.

The results of the poll taken between April 26-28th were announced on Saturday.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-01

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, webfact said:

A whopping 58% of Thais asked in the Bansomdej poll said that foreigners see Thailand as a leading sex destination of the world.

Now ask those same Thais whom they think made it like this.

Any guess how many will blame the foreigners?

53% said they were aware of prostitution in Thailand.

What about the other 47?. blind  and deaf maybe.

Anyone who is unaware of prostitution here, is lacking something or are in denial.

given that the vast majority of thais have never travelled outside the country, cannot speak or understand english and therefore the foreign media, and considering the censorship of the domestic media here the findings for this poll are superfluous at best and judgemental at worst.

how about asking people who have never visited thailand what their impression of thailand is, now that would be more interesting

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Are you conducting a poll, asking who we think makes these polls ?

Obviously the polls are made by people intending to influence other people and create discontent and anger in society.  Which in response is directed towards the tourists.

5 minutes ago, samsensam said:

how about asking people who have never visited thailand what their impression of thailand is, now that would be more interesting

In my interactions, most people who have never visited view Thailand as a very friendly and nice country.  Some might inquire about the nightlife, but that is a positive inquiry as there is a lot of people who like to party on holiday.  

The majority of people that ask me about Thailand are mostly interested in Chiang Mai and the north, and just adventure travel in general.

Sex has never been part of a single discussion with random people inquiring about travel in Thailand.

18 minutes ago, survivalblue said:

so basically 600 Thai people decided to point the "sex tourist" finger at foreigners and a big alarm goes off and now foreigners are all sex tourists thinking about sex.

Great job on reporting this garbage.  When you need a better story, contact me.

I think you had better re-read the op. You are managing to jump to conclusions regarding the attitudes of thos polled that simply arent there. 

In fact places mentioned like lumpini park, massage parlours and the mae hong son scandal all point to the domestic trade.

What a surprise. Not!

It's bloody obvious why foreigners visit Thailand, especially males!

Let's face it, for decades, greed plus unenforced laws have helped to contribute to the sex industry within Thailand.

The finger should be pointed at Thais, not foreigners.

After all, it just takes the authorities to abolish the sex industry altogether.

Why do so many foreigners visit Thailand, for what? Temples ? Elephants etc. Boring. No! It's mainly because of the sex industry.

This report makes me laugh.

They created the industry and now they want escape goats to hide their creation.

This survey will shock countless mothers across Thailand who have sent their daughters down to the big city,s/overseas to take on such jobs as cashiers/waitresses/receptionists and the like.......:whistling:

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

My first visit was all about playing golf and drinking , the last thing initially on my mind was sex that came later pun intended .

Ah yes,  that would be golfing holes  20,  21, and 22

I love Thailand and Golf  :giggle:

This is true the majority of tourists come here to shag.
I did and if the truth be known I'll bet 99 percent of members of this forum did..... why not? Thailand is a shag fest!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 minutes ago, Hutch68 said:

This is true the majority of tourists come here to shag.
I did and if the truth be known I'll bet 99 percent of members of this forum did..... why not? Thailand is a shag fest!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

when I think of Thailand I think of Temples ...    what is shag   ?   what is shag fest  ?   tks

Archived