When foreigners think of Thailand they think of sex, say Thais

webfact

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Hutch68 said:
  2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:
this is true. just last night on social media on a learn to speak English forum a Thai female university student asked me to help her with her English final exam. She sent me all the questions and then asked me if there was some way she could repay me if I helped her.

wink wink nudge nudge say no more. but i did not do it.

Stout lad proud of you. We live in an age of shortcuts. 

4 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Now ask those same Thais whom they think made it like this.

Any guess how many will blame the foreigners?

Sex here without foreigners would be like a day without a Mexican in America. 

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

And when Thais think of foreigners all the see is a cash cows, ' rich '

people ripe for the picking, and fair game for cheating and over charging....

In fairness, you have the old-looking 50+ year old (with money) picking up the beautiful and fit 30- year old (with no money). Co-dependency anyone?

Last time I checked many of us did not pick a woman who had the same kind of health, wealth, interests that we did, and who had a similar age than we had. 

In fairness, many of us also come for the nice weather, the beaches, the cheaper prices (as well), but often not just. In fairness, some of the damsels have children form past marriages with Thai men.

As far as the story goes, ...

"The documented history of prostitution in Thailand goes back at least six centuries, with overt and explicit references by the Chinese voyager Ma Huan (1433) and subsequently by European visitors (Van Neck, 1604; Gisbert Heeck, 1655 and others). It is certainly not a new phenomenon, though it may have been exacerbated by the Japanese occupation during World War II and by the extensive use of Thailand as a "Rest and Recreation" facility by US forces during the Second Indochina War (c. 1963 - 1973)[20][21]

Thailand has an ancient, continuous tradition of legal texts, generally described under the heading of Dhammasattha literature (Thai pron., tam-ma-sat), wherein prostitution is variously defined and universally banned. The era of traditional legal texts came to an end in the early 20th century, but these earlier texts were significant in regard to both the writ and spirit of modern legislation.[22]

In the twentieth century a variety of laws relating to the sex industry were passed, including the Contagious Diseases Prevention Act of 1908 and the Entertainment Places Act of 1966.[18] Prostitution itself was made illegal in Thailand[2] in 1960, when a law was passed under pressure from the United Nations.[23] The government instituted a system of monitoring sex workers in order to prevent their mistreatment and to control the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.[1] The 1960 law was repealed by the Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act, B.E. 2539 (1996).
"

1 minute ago, Dustdevil said:

Was the poll conducted scientifically?  That means everyone in the country must, as far as possible, have an equal chance of being contacted.  Otherwise it's just an anecdotal, informal survey.

There was a knock on my door while I was dallying. Could have been the pollsters I guess. 

this is true. just last night on social media on a learn to speak English forum a Thai female university student asked me to help her with her English final exam. She sent me all the questions and then asked me if there was some way she could repay me if I helped her.

I'd of rattled it to within a inch of its life..

6 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

In fairness, you have the old-looking 50+ year old (with money) picking up the beautiful and fit 30- year old (with no money). Co-dependency anyone?

Last time I checked many of us did not pick a woman who had the same kind of health, wealth, interests that we did, and who had a similar age than we had. 

In fairness, many of us also come for the nice weather, the beaches, the cheaper prices (as well), but often not just. In fairness, some of the damsels have children form past marriages with Thai men.

As far as the story goes, ...

"The documented history of prostitution in Thailand goes back at least six centuries, with overt and explicit references by the Chinese voyager Ma Huan (1433) and subsequently by European visitors (Van Neck, 1604; Gisbert Heeck, 1655 and others). It is certainly not a new phenomenon, though it may have been exacerbated by the Japanese occupation during World War II and by the extensive use of Thailand as a "Rest and Recreation" facility by US forces during the Second Indochina War (c. 1963 - 1973)[20][21]

Thailand has an ancient, continuous tradition of legal texts, generally described under the heading of Dhammasattha literature (Thai pron., tam-ma-sat), wherein prostitution is variously defined and universally banned. The era of traditional legal texts came to an end in the early 20th century, but these earlier texts were significant in regard to both the writ and spirit of modern legislation.[22]

In the twentieth century a variety of laws relating to the sex industry were passed, including the Contagious Diseases Prevention Act of 1908 and the Entertainment Places Act of 1966.[18] Prostitution itself was made illegal in Thailand[2] in 1960, when a law was passed under pressure from the United Nations.[23] The government instituted a system of monitoring sex workers in order to prevent their mistreatment and to control the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.[1] The 1960 law was repealed by the Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act, B.E. 2539 (1996).
"

Enlightened we are for sure. Great read. Sex has definitely thrived over the centuries defying the law. 

Im available--certified as well.....sure we can work out a payment plan....:wai:

Dont blame the tourist n foreigners on the sex trade. Though we make up a small percentage, The main bulk of customers are still the locals. 

The sideline n kapoo massage forums websites n facebooks r all in Thai languages.

The mae hong son case were underage girls serving the local customers and those under government payroll.

The red light zones in the provinces r all mainly frequent by thais.

I think of many things when I think of Thailand, the sex trade being the least interesting of all ... a great place to relax and explore, good natured people on the whole, income inequality, enjoying life without taking it too seriously ... so I don't agree with the survey.

I have heard many times, Thais saying Thailand is the worlds "dream" holiday destination for the  whole world.

at least thats what they are told to believe in schools.

IMO, it always had more to do with Thailand being better value for your holiday $.

-airlines offer affordable flights from many countries.

-availability of budget accomodation, alcohol cheaper than homeland..on and on

Of course there is a % of fullon mongers but if you take into account numbers of families visiting, chinese, female travellers and people that obviously dont come for sex the sex tourists  must be a small percent.

28 minutes ago, Graemej100 said:

A whopping 58% of Thais asked in the Bansomdej poll said that foreigners see Thailand as a leading sex destination of the world. Some 29% said they didn't know and about 13% were not sure.

What utter bullshit from supposition and badly reported poll.

How can Thais possibly know what foreigners think about Thailand? Unless you are 100% fluent in another language you have no idea what that other culture is thinking. 

No matter your linguistic skills, you'd need telepathic ones in order to know what another is thinking.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Just under 50% said that Thailand was not fully ready to legalize the sex trade though nearly 34% said that it should be legalized.

I don't know but I think if they had included the sex workers in the survey it would be leaning heavily towards legalization. I don't think they were included in the survey.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

When foreigners think of Thailand they think of sex, say Thais

Well, we like to think of street food, but you cracked down on it; trying to think of night markets, you cracked down on that too; thinking of brand copies - crack down; beautiful scenery and nature, only with dangling cables and rubbish heaps...

What's left when thinking about Thailand? Corruption, coups after coups, slave labor, sex industry.

Foreigners thinking about sex when thinking about Thailand is not that bad of a deal..., considering the alternatives.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

53% said they were aware of prostitution in Thailand.

What about the other 47?. blind  and deaf maybe.

Anyone who is unaware of prostitution here, is lacking something or are in denial.

Good point, that tells you right there that something is wrong with the data.  The only reason someone would not be aware (other than the usual clueless idiots to be found in any society) is that they fear to besmirtch the sacred Thai image or fear reprisals for speaking their mind, or feel it's impolite to point out the ugly truth.  

I'm fairly sure if I asked 1000, 50 year old plus devout Buddhists this question, the result would be 100%. Try these surveys on Thais. Do you think Thais are smarter than foreigners? Are all foreigners rich? Do foreigners use prostitution in Thailand more than Thais? I'm sure we can all think of a lot more.

:WPFflags:

Sex is a commercial enterprise EVERYWHERE.  It does not matter where you are, there is a flesh trade.  You may consider it immoral, a blessing or a curse but it will persist.  The worst of it is criminal prostitution of children which needs to be a capital crime. The other is creating an  environment that results in moral degradation of adults who for whatever reason do this for work.

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

Prostitution is Thailand's major tourist drawcard.  The country has built it's reputation on sex.

Can you support that with the evidence please?

Seriously, are you suggesting that the number of sex tourists arriving is greater than the number of normal holiday makers who don't go pissing it up and whoring?

If so, please provide the research that shows that.

10 or 15 years ago Lumpini Park was well known as a place to pick up freelancers, not in the park, but around the perimeter road. It was known to have young, or possibly underage prostitutes touting there. Which is why those who frequented it generally kept quiet about it. I've no idea of it's status nowadays. 

Archived