When foreigners think of Thailand they think of sex, say Thais

webfact

28 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Your avatar says get real, i think you should.

I am as real os it gets! Didn´t you hear? Stop complaining! You choosed to be here, or did your wife do that for you?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Get Real said:
9 hours ago, colinneil said:

53% said they were aware of prostitution in Thailand.

What about the other 47?. blind  and deaf maybe.

Anyone who is unaware of prostitution here, is lacking something or are in denial.

They simply just do not care. What would you do as an answer for your own country that you acually love very much?

I would have tried to change it in the past 400 years

49 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

You speak for yourself matey, me, I'll stick with real females thank you :smile:

So none of your mates have ever joked with you about Thai lady boys.. ok my bad I must be wrong. 

But your gf does look like a lady boy.. have you checked?

9 hours ago, pentap said:

What a surprise. Not!

It's bloody obvious why foreigners visit Thailand, especially males!

Let's face it, for decades, greed plus unenforced laws have helped to contribute to the sex industry within Thailand.

The finger should be pointed at Thais, not foreigners.

After all, it just takes the authorities to abolish the sex industry altogether.

Why do so many foreigners visit Thailand, for what? Temples ? Elephants etc. Boring. No! It's mainly because of the sex industry.

This report makes me laugh.

They created the industry and now they want escape goats to hide their creation.

You should learn to control your generalizing...Speak for yourself.

2 hours ago, sahibji said:

minnie the minx what shopping stands out that is typical to thailand and not available elsewhere. it is the entertainment factor that is the prime reason for the visitors to thailand.

Not if you're a chick like me and like Thai silk. Enjoy diving too off Koh Tao, general atmosphere that is Thailand.

I did not know, prior to arrival, that Thailand is still considered by some as a sex destination. I see family groups arriving, and am fairly certain people are not bringing their young children on sex vacations.
Previous reading has led me to believe that the majority of customers in the trade are Thai locals. I doubt the reliability of this poll.

Sorry if this was brought up in a previous post, but were foreigners actually polled as to what THEY really think about Thailand?

The pollsters might be surprised!

A "we think that they think" poll is a reverse projection of stereotypes. 

Not only do the poll results (if accurate) give an idea what Thais think of foreigners, but more importantly gives you an insight as to how they believe their virtuous society has become tarnished by foreign influence. 

The brainwashing and hypocrisy continues to amuse. 

I think if a real poll was conducted, one might find kindness of Thai people, cost of living, freedom (relatively speaking), 24/7 food and general ease of living (if one is here for legit reasons) on the top of the list for foreigners.

Those are the positives. Negatives might be the scams, immi requirements (for the whiners), lack of feeling one has any rights etc.

That being said, there is a considerable difference between expats and tourists. 

When I first came in '91 ( for work) I was a happily married man and didn't indulge in the temptation, although I did know of Thailands reputation.
When I came back the 2nd time in 2015 ( also for work ) I was a happily divorced man ( twice ) and am still here , the rest is history !

It is like asking the question: what comes to mind when you think of Bangkok?

Thailand is the epicenter of sex tourism, no questions about it. What else except for lady boys and go-go bars does this country produce? Yes, it's one of the most beautiful countries in the world, but the way LOS has been marketed for the many years have been surrounded by sex.

The real Thailand exists in the North west, and everything else is just what it is. 

10 hours ago, pentap said:

They created the industry and now they want escape goats to hide their creation.

What are "escape goats"?

Can you use one when making your getaway from a bank heist? Or will they rescue you from a plunging airliner?

Or maybe you meant "escaped goats" - they could form a herd in front of go-go bars to deceive passers-by?

56 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

I did not know, prior to arrival, that Thailand is still considered by some as a sex destination. I see family groups arriving, and am fairly certain people are not bringing their young children on sex vacations.
Previous reading has led me to believe that the majority of customers in the trade are Thai locals. I doubt the reliability of this poll.

Thailand is considered by many as a sex destination, and thats a fact, its  not just on Thaivisa

Families visit Thailand because its not compulsory to engage in the sex trade in any shape or form

A normal family holiday is obviously not a problem 

Thailand has a population of approximately 68 million,  no reading is needed to be able to deduce which nationality provides the most paying customers 

Thailand has had some bad press in the foreign media just recently, as regards its reputation as a sex destination 

Unfortunately the events now unfolding in Northern Thailand are not going to improve Thailands reputation in any shape or form

The fact remains and I dont expect any earth shattering changes in the foreseeable future simply because of the amount of MONEY involved

8 minutes ago, modafinil said:

What are "escape goats"?

Can you use one when making your getaway from a bank heist? Or will they rescue you from a plunging airliner?

Or maybe you meant "escaped goats" - they could form a herd in front of go-go bars to deceive passers-by?

You might just need one, a scapegoat that is yourself if you dont leave the grammar policeman bit out

8 hours ago, arch77778 said:

Thai ladies are the sexiest on this planet.That is why i come to Thailand.

To realy know that you need first to experience the entire world - have you?

I believe the most tourists choose Thailand as the top destination to experience the unique Jet-Ski scam...;)

11 hours ago, pentap said:

What a surprise. Not!

It's bloody obvious why foreigners visit Thailand, especially males!

Let's face it, for decades, greed plus unenforced laws have helped to contribute to the sex industry within Thailand.

The finger should be pointed at Thais, not foreigners.

After all, it just takes the authorities to abolish the sex industry altogether.

Why do so many foreigners visit Thailand, for what? Temples ? Elephants etc. Boring. No! It's mainly because of the sex industry.

This report makes me laugh.

'Escape goats', that's the best part in your post, Sir, even though it's involuntary humour. It conjures up an image of people running away on goats, pure Monty Python. :cheesy:

7 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

Dont blame the tourist n foreigners on the sex trade. Though we make up a small percentage, The main bulk of customers are still the locals. 

The sideline n kapoo massage forums websites n facebooks r all in Thai languages.

The mae hong son case were underage girls serving the local customers and those under government payroll.

The red light zones in the provinces r all mainly frequent by thais.

You are absolutely right. Many of us maybe living in Thailand, but in fact it`s like living in parallel worlds with the Thais and much of it we don`t see.

There is a thriving sex industry in Thailand, local bars, dek sideline forums and dating sites, clubs, social media, brothels and Thai newspaper and magazine ads. We rarely get a glimpse into that scene because of the language barrier. Only those who can fluently speak, read and write Thai can gain access to it, otherwise the door is firmly locked to us.

But I am sure the Thai opinions of foreigner thoughts of Thailand as disclosed in the OP are referring to the side of the sex industry that we most often see and are portrayed in films, that being bar girls, bars and easy pick up areas like Pattaya. 

5 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

You are absolutely right. Many of us maybe living in Thailand, but in fact it`s like living in parallel worlds with the Thais and much of it we don`t see.

There is a thriving sex industry in Thailand, local bars, dek sideline forums and dating sites, clubs, social media, brothels and Thai newspaper and magazine ads. We rarely get a glimpse into that scene because of the language barrier. Only those who can fluently speak, read and write Thai can gain access to it, otherwise the door is firmly locked to us.

But I am sure the Thai opinions of foreigner thoughts of Thailand as disclosed in the OP are referring to the side of the sex industry that we most often see and are portrayed in films, that being bar girls, bars and easy pick up areas like Pattaya. 

WE?

Thailand must think that they have the market on sex. How about Vietnam, Cambodia, Burma and the Philippines,

they all have the same attitude and if you visit them countries, sex is pretty easy to get. Get over yourself

Thailand.    Even the Thai men take advantage of the sex industry here so don't just accuse tourists of this

attitude.    Personally I like the Thai food, and the people, and all the places to visit like the Wats and shopping

centres, and even the interesting museums throughout the country.  My wife is Thai as well, so I do like a lot

of the Thai people especially my Thai family. The climate and prices are definite draws for many tourists that

life in colder climates, don't forget that Thailand, and the other Asian countries are in the tropical zone of

the world.

Geezer

My first impression of Thailand was back in Farangland in early 80's seeing this Bowie music video on TV:

Even though Bowiie shows several aspects of Thailand (Bangkok) the sexy working girls without doubt made the biggest impression on me. And after 8 years living in Thailand I would have to admit it's still the stand out factor.

More info about the video here:

Archived