Thai Driving Licence good in ASEAN?

ChomDo

Hi,

I have read that the new (issued after June 2015) Thai licence (for car) is valid in all ASEAN countries. I just want to get confirmation to this. If I want to rent a car in Bali will I be able to do so with my Thai Driving Licence and would insurance be covered for sure in case of an accident. Also if the police stop me could there be trouble even though the new ASEAN agreement allows Thai Licence to be used in Indonesia?

Thanks! 

The Good News..yes.. your Thai license is lawfully OK in Bali. I have used mine and have been stopped for a license check. However, now for the bad news.. same same thailand. . coffee money.many excuses about license. how much for Mr Policeman. depends. last time for me $5 Australia. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Haso said:

The Good News..yes.. your Thai license is lawfully OK in Bali. I have used mine and have been stopped for a license check. However, now for the bad news.. same same thailand. . coffee money.many excuses about license. how much for Mr Policeman. depends. last time for me $5 Australia. Cheers.

Haha yea you're right and thanks for the direct experience. I just wonder do you pay the same coffee money even if you have the IDP..well I'll get the IDP just in any case if they give it to me at Bangkok district 3!

1 hour ago, Haso said:

By the way could you tell me a bit about the driving culture. If I'm used to driving in Bangkok and around Thailand, would you say no problem to drive around Bali or is it hectic/more dangerous? 

You will have no problems driving around Bali.. Same side of road.. Same laws as Thailand.. chaotic.. But it all seems to work....Make sure your your types don't touch the stop line at the traffic light.. Easy prey..Otherwise more coffee money? Traffic not as bad as Thailand.. But a lot slower. Lucky if you get over 80 ks at any length of time even on the best pieces of road.. Enjoy your driving experience..

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Haso said:

You will have no problems driving around Bali.. Same side of road.. Same laws as Thailand.. chaotic.. But it all seems to work....Make sure your your types don't touch the stop line at the traffic light.. Easy prey..Otherwise more coffee money? Traffic not as bad as Thailand.. But a lot slower. Lucky if you get over 80 ks at any length of time even on the best pieces of road.. Enjoy your driving experience..

Ok thanks for that. I feel confident about the driving part. How about renting. Most of the local rentals have very old looking cars. Could you suggest a company with new cars for a reasonable price (not the AVIS and Herz kind of course because they are expensive)?

I don't know about renting.. I used my friends vehicle on each visit to Bali. From what I can remember the car rent costs are not that much. I would check with regards to an insurance cover. Renting a van with a driver is another option. There are many. Hapy motoring.

On 5/3/2017 at 5:50 PM, ChomDo said:

Haha yea you're right and thanks for the direct experience. I just wonder do you pay the same coffee money even if you have the IDP..well I'll get the IDP just in any case if they give it to me at Bangkok district 3!

It's 10,000 Baht for an IDP from Thailand !!!

12 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's 10,000 Baht for an IDP from Thailand !!!

Yea, the fine is 10,000 Baht? You had this experience or just trying to throw in a funny comment?

8 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Nothing funny about paying 10,000 Baht to get an IDP in Thailand, I get them by post from UK for 600 Baht.

Why would you pay 10,000 for an IDP in Thailand, am I missing your point here? It costs a few hundred baht at the Department of Land Transportation (as long as you have a Thai DL of course)? 

On 5/16/2017 at 4:21 AM, ChomDo said:

Why would you pay 10,000 for an IDP in Thailand, am I missing your point here? It costs a few hundred baht at the Department of Land Transportation (as long as you have a Thai DL of course)? 

That's the price I was quoted by a driving school.

And I believe you can only get the IDP in Bangkok, not any DLT office?

15 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That's the price I was quoted by a driving school.

And I believe you can only get the IDP in Bangkok, not any DLT office?

I think you're confused now. What's the IDP got to do with a driving school? I mean you do have a Thai DL right? You just go to the DLT and show your Thai DL (what ever else was required, maybe passport copy and one photo) and pay a few hundred baht. I'm not going to do that though as I won't be needing a IDP but that's the process according to people who have done it and the earlier link someone posted.

On 5/21/2017 at 10:36 AM, ChomDo said:

I think you're confused now. What's the IDP got to do with a driving school? I mean you do have a Thai DL right? You just go to the DLT and show your Thai DL (what ever else was required, maybe passport copy and one photo) and pay a few hundred baht. I'm not going to do that though as I won't be needing a IDP but that's the process according to people who have done it and the earlier link someone posted.

The driving school will process the application for you so you don't have to go to Bangkok to do it yourself (from Pattaya).

It could have been Baht 3,500 I was quoted though, memory is hazy.

11 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The driving school will process the application for you so you don't have to go to Bangkok to do it yourself (from Pattaya).

It could have been Baht 3,500 I was quoted though, memory is hazy.

Ok I see. I just checked it's 505b, which if I remember correctly is more than what I paid for my real Thai DL. As you said great that you can get yours from sent here from your country for 600b!