First time in Bangkok

SWINGtech

On 02/05/2017 at 4:24 PM, lungnorm said:

Newbie's should all taste Sukhumvit.

I'll leave it for the newbies to lick & taste Sukhumvit Rd. There's no way I'd be putting my tongue on that filthy road.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stephen tracy said:

Typical sex-pat answer. You certainly will not be in lower Sukhumvit every night unless you enjoy the company of losers (not all mind) and prostitutes.  With the exception of Cheap Charlie's (which I think is now closed or due to close) there isn't a single good bar in lower Sukhmuvit.

You talk about "losers" in lower Suk but then you say "with the exeception of Cheap Charlie's" lol....if anything, the crowd that used to go to that absolute shithole of a "bar" are a bunch of losers.

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

You talk about "losers" in lower Suk but then you say "with the exeception of Cheap Charlie's" lol....if anything, the crowd that used to go to that absolute shithole of a "bar" are a bunch of losers.

Really? Compared with the pond life that frequent Nana and Cowboy? Not to mention all the other seedy dives and bars there.  At least at Charlie's there was a more diverse mix of people as well as plenty of restaurants on the same soi.  Charlie's has actually got a number of write-ups in western travel mags/sites as being a good spot for a drink due to the unusual nature of the bar itself.  But I guess they must all be wrong.  Sex-pats are so sensitive about be called out. 

9 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

At least at Charlie's there was a more diverse mix of people as well as plenty of restaurants on the same soi.  Charlie's has actually got a number of write-ups in western travel mags/sites as being a good spot for a drink due to the unusual nature of the bar itself.

Sure,  it was an unusual type of bar, the type of unusual shithole of a bar. Standing up in a tiny space on the street inside the tiny roped area.

Oh, I hear that all the time.  "I never pay for sex".  I know many guys in BKK who make this claim and sure, they are not hitting up Nana car lot.  But the majority of them have Thai girls living with them paying 30-40,000 + per month.  OK, sure, that is for the intense meaningful conversation they have?

In the end especially here, most ex-pats are paying for it one way or another but some seem to want to try to justify it in their minds.

Then, there are those with sexless lives. God bless you, but sounds sad....

15 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Oh, I hear that all the time.  "I never pay for sex".  I know many guys in BKK who make this claim and sure, they are not hitting up Nana car lot.  But the majority of them have Thai girls living with them paying 30-40,000 + per month

Those peeps are in denial or maybe they're not paying for sex because they are not getting any but just giving away their money.

for first time visitors, silom has lumphini park and patpong.  plus not far from river if you plan to take a boat somewhere.  i love roadhouse BBQ.  i would rather (and do) live on sukhumvit but silom has some attraction for visitors.  having the sidewalks somewhat clear these days makes a big difference, so nice to be able to walk along silom and sukhumvit and not have to walk in the street to get around crowds.

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Oh, I hear that all the time.  "I never pay for sex".  I know many guys in BKK who make this claim and sure, they are not hitting up Nana car lot.  But the majority of them have Thai girls living with them paying 30-40,000 + per month.  OK, sure, that is for the intense meaningful conversation they have?

In the end especially here, most ex-pats are paying for it one way or another but some seem to want to try to justify it in their minds.

Then, there are those with sexless lives. God bless you, but sounds sad....

What is sad is that all sex-pats can't get their head around the fact that other western males here aren't the same as them. I had one American guy once express surprise that I didn't shag hookers, and actually asked me if it was cause I was gay!  His tiny brain just couldn't take in the information.  And for the record, my girlfriend is Canadian.

20 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

With the exception of Cheap Charlie's (which I think is now closed or due to close) there isn't a single good bar in lower Sukhmuvit. They only good ones are up around Tong Lor/Ekamai. 

Cheap Charlie's was a shithole.

If you needed someone to hand out leaflets, do phone surveys or a few white faces for your street canvassing operation, you'd always find a steady stream of last chancers, TEFLers and other donkeys looking for ways to supplement their finances in order to extend their S.E.Asia doss-a-thon.

There's a few decent bars around lower Sukhumvit including the highly successful Oskar on soi 11 and Above 11 at the top of the Fraser Suites.

People who liked Cheap Charlie's would probably call these places "poncey" or "pretentious" because the prices make them feel inadequate.

Can't see why - drinks are perfectly reasonably priced and alcohol measures are generous.

28 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Cheap Charlie's was a shithole.

If you needed someone to hand out leaflets, do phone surveys or a few white faces for your street canvassing operation, you'd always find a steady stream of last chancers, TEFLers and other donkeys looking for ways to supplement their finances in order to extend their S.E.Asia doss-a-thon.

There's a few decent bars around lower Sukhumvit including the highly successful Oskar on soi 11 and Above 11 at the top of the Fraser Suites.

People who liked Cheap Charlie's would probably call these places "poncey" or "pretentious" because the prices make them feel inadequate.

Can't see why - drinks are perfectly reasonably priced and alcohol measures are generous.

I've never tried Oskar, perhaps I ought to, but I think there a far nicer places than above that also have the advantage of not being in a dumpy area like lower Sukumvit.

I've never tried Oskar, perhaps I ought to, but I think there a far nicer places than above that also have the advantage of not being in a dumpy area like lower Sukumvit.

What's dumpy about it? Tons of bars and restaurants plus adult entertainment

It's the heart of the tourist area . Millions keep coming back. They would fall over laughing if you pointed them to ekamia. The only thing going for it Is the major bus terminal to get you OUT of the place

Went there for a look once and was bored In under 1 hour

I would strongly advise any one coming to bangkok to NOT go there. Think of the place like an outer suburb in your home country...boring and nothing to do at all.

1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:

What's dumpy about it? Tons of bars and restaurants plus adult entertainment
It's the heart of the tourist area . Millions keep coming back. They would fall over laughing if you pointed them to ekamia

Went there for a look once and was bored In under 1 hour

I would strongly advise any one coming to bangkok to NOT go there. Think of the place like an outer suburb in your home country...boring and nothing to do at all.

Tons of shit bars, tons of hookers and tons sex tourists/pats . Yep, a real treat When I mentioned Ekamai I did so in the context of Sukumvit road itself.  Personally, I rarely go to Ekamai or Tong Lor cause I live in Silom/Sathon area and am basically too lazy and don't like either enough to bother. I tend to go out around my own area or a long the river or sometimes China Town due to some of the new places that haven't up there over the past two years. 

Tons of shit bars, tons of hookers and tons sex tourists/pats . Yep, a real treat When I mentioned Ekamai I did so in the context of Sukumvit road itself.  Personally, I rarely go to Ekamai or Tong Lor cause I live in Silom/Sathon area and am basically too lazy and don't like either enough to bother. I tend to go out around my own area or a long the river or sometimes China Town due to some of the new places that haven't up there over the past two years. 

Shit bars?

Dude your favorite bar was cheap Charlie's

Oh the irony lol

You are not qualified to comment based on your love for that dump.

You must be the only person in lower Sukhumvit who couldn't find a nice bar all the way from soi 33 to soi 4 (there are hundreds) and every one a dump. That's just plain weird

Shit bars?

Dude your favorite bar was cheap Charlie's

Oh the irony lol

You are not qualified to comment based on your love for that dump.

You must be the only person in lower Sukhumvit who couldn't find a nice bar all the way from soi 33 to soi 4 (there are hundreds) and every one a dump. That's just plain weird

I don't love Charlie's. In fact, I haven't been there in years but on the  odd occasion I would find myself in lower Suk I preferred sitting there than any of the other places in the immediate vicinity.  I guess we disagree on what constitutes a good bar. This may come as a surprise to you but I'm not the only foreigner working in BKK that that thinks lower Suk is shit and finds paying someone to shag you is a turn off. 

1 hour ago, stephen tracy said:

If lower Sukumvit is dumpy, the rest of Thailand isn't any better.

I don't love Charlie's. In fact, I haven't been there in years but on the  odd occasion I would find myself in lower Suk I preferred sitting there than any of the other places in the immediate vicinity.  I guess we disagree on what constitutes a good bar. This may come as a surprise to you but I'm not the only foreigner working in BKK that that thinks lower Suk is shit and finds paying someone to shag you is a turn off. 

That's fine you like it quite, no drama there but to make a blanket statement that all bars are crap Is just misleading. There is a bar for everyone's taste from great English pubs with great food hard rock hotel and Hooters as well as little hole in the wall places similar to cheap Charlie's. Literally hundreds!

Lets keep it real [emoji5]

Yeah I would really like to know about all these crappy bars?

I posted some photos in another thread with all the new places going up on Nana.  Brand new bars about 6 of them including a new Hillary all very nice inside all at the front area of the Rajah hotel.  Plus the new stuff near Nana Hotel, etc. there must be at least 8 newish bars just on Soi 4 not all lady bar venues incase that is what some consider crappy.   Then you have Bullyś around the corner and the place in the Landmark hotel basement great live band and a nice environment.  

Another 6 or so on Soi 11 not lady bars but places with live music etc.  Then a few more across on Soi 8.

What is the problem??  Sounds like super snotty bizarre judgmental attitudes.

Yeah I would really like to know about all these crappy bars?
I posted some photos in another thread with all the new places going up on Nana.  Brand new bars about 6 of them including a new Hillary all very nice inside all at the front area of the Rajah hotel.  Plus the new stuff near Nana Hotel, etc. there must be at least 8 newish bars just on Soi 4 not all lady bar venues incase that is what some consider crappy.   Then you have Bullyś around the corner and the place in the Landmark hotel basement great live band and a nice environment.  
Another 6 or so on Soi 11 not lady bars but places with live music etc.  Then a few more across on Soi 8.
What is the problem??  Sounds like super snotty bizarre judgmental attitudes.

Exactly just walked past the kiwi pub soi 8,great pub but there were 200 people in there for the rugby so had a beer across the road at monsoon.

The problem is the guys complaining forgot they came here as tourists themselves probably for many years and no doubt enjoyed the ladies before becoming an expat and all of a sudden are to "hi so" to be seen near a bar girl or other tourists

I think stuck up is the correct term [emoji16]

Exactly just walked past the kiwi pub soi 8,great pub but there were 200 people in there for the rugby so had a beer across the road at monsoon.

The problem is the guys complaining forgot they came here as tourists themselves probably for many years and no doubt enjoyed the ladies before becoming an expat and all of a sudden are to "hi so" to be seen near a bar girl or other tourists

I think stuck up is the correct term emoji16.png

I didn't come here as a tourist.  I was sent to work here.

I didn't come here as a tourist.  I was sent to work here.

Well you're the exception. There are countless expats who married their bar girl and moved away from Sukhumvit and all of a sudden they became to hi so and trash the place
Hypocritical to say the least

3 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Well you're the exception. There are countless expats who married their bar girl and moved away from Sukhumvit and all of a sudden they became to hi so and trash the place
Hypocritical to say the least

No they don't. Sex-tourists that marry a hooker normally end up in remote Issan villages whinging about something or other on TV.

2 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

No they don't. Sex-tourists that marry a hooker normally end up in remote Issan villages whinging about something or other on TV.

Not all Issan women are/or become hookers 

• 2 weeks later...
This is simply untrue. There are three very very small areas of girly bars, the rest of the place is for regular tourists and of course locals. 

Not that I'm saying Sukhumvit wins out over other areas.. I would stay elsewhere again. But for a newbie its a perfect introduction to Bangkok. 

I always hated it, it's just not Thai.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 months later...

I have lived for years on and off in BKK. Sukumvit was the best until the regime clamped down on it.  Silom/ Surawong have few redeeming features unless you are a gay sex tourist. The Kao San Road has the international back packer scene, some good night life, is near the river and the old town. Sukhumvit from Soi 4 to 60 has the best nightlife and restaurants. Check out different areas. Try the dynasty on soi 6 or the darwen on on soi 4....if ya wanna have fun try the nana hotel...Despite the best efforts of the authorities to destroy the heart and soul of the city Bangkok remains great fun...but not a patch on Pattaya. Don't bring whey as you can get everything here and you will have fun shopping and exploring the city. Good luck.

I actually would avoid Sukhumvit.  There are lots of bars and restaurants but not that many actual good ones.  Sukumvit is also full of sex-tourist and sex-pats.  Having said that some people like it, and the Tong Lor and Ekamai parts of Sukumvit have some good bars and restaurants... not cheap though.  Personally, I prefer the Silom/Sathon area (I live there).  I think it has a much nicer atmosphere and also quite close to some good riverside bars and restaurants.  Several BTS stops in the area should you want to go anywhere else in the city. 
Terrible advice. You will die of boredom in those 2 places.

Great if you like quitely reading a book in your room for your stay otherwise do what everyone else has said and stay between Asoke and Nana and actually enjoy yourself [emoji3]

12 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Terrible advice. You will die of boredom in those 2 places.

Great if you like quitely reading a book in your room for your stay otherwise do what everyone else has said and stay between Asoke and Nana and actually enjoy yourself emoji3.png

To each his/her own I guess.  I rarely stay in reading a book.  In my opinion the area between Asoke and Nana, although boasting many restaurants and bars, you can count on one hand how many are actually anything above mediocre.  Nana itself is fine if you want to pay for sex but it's also is a magnate for every form of white trash on the planet. People who wouldn't even be in Thailand if it wasn't for the cheap hookers.  Generally though I'd say there's probably something for everyone in Bangkok.  It's a diverse city.

Archived