First time in Bangkok

SWINGtech

To each his/her own I guess.  I rarely stay in reading a book.  In my opinion the area between Asoke and Nana, although boasting many restaurants and bars, you can count on one hand how many are actually anything above mediocre.  Nana itself is fine if you want to pay for sex but it's also is a magnate for every form of white trash on the planet. People who wouldn't even be in Thailand if it wasn't for the cheap hookers.  Generally though I'd say there's probably something for everyone in Bangkok.  It's a diverse city.

There are five 5 star hotels between Asoke and Nana two of which just popped up, the Sofitel and the Hyatt both at soi 13 a 2 minute walk from Nana bts. The others are the Sheraton, the landmark and the 5 th escapes me.

Clearly there are not just mungers in lower Sukhumvit

Those mostly stay in soi 4.

If you can't find Great bars and good food in those 5 hotels then there are hundreds of others from soi 33 down to 4 including cowboy which I prefer to Nana. Watching cute girls dancing is not as evil as you making it sound

Go out and take a look mate

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

There are five 5 star hotels between Asoke and Nana two of which just popped up, the Sofitel and the Hyatt both at soi 13 a 2 minute walk from Nana bts. The others are the Sheraton, the landmark and the 5 th escapes me.

Clearly there are not just mungers in lower Sukhumvit

Those mostly stay in soi 4.

If you can't find Great bars and good food in those 5 hotels then there are hundreds of others from soi 33 down to 4 including cowboy which I prefer to Nana. Watching cute girls dancing is not as evil as you making it sound

Go out and take a look mate

I have, that's why I never go there anymore.  There are 5 star hotel bars all over central BKK with good food, but I was referring more to normal restaurants/bars. Yep, some good ones in Suk for sure, but loads of mediocre places, and they are the majority.  You're right mind, there's nothing evil about watching cute girls dancing but it's hard to ignore all the embarrassing pond-life those places attract.  And at the end of the day, if you're not into hooking up with a prostitute or talking to sexpats/sex tourists, it's not so great.   Having said all that, I know lots of people like Suk... they can't all be wrong. Maybe it's just me but I know enough people after 10 years here to know that plenty of expats - whether male or female - would gladly give Suk a miss and go somewhere else for nightlife.

I have, that's why I never go there anymore.  There are 5 star hotel bars all over central BKK with good food, but I was referring more to normal restaurants/bars. Yep, some good ones in Suk for sure, but loads of mediocre places, and they are the majority.  You're right mind, there's nothing evil about watching cute girls dancing but it's hard to ignore all the embarrassing pond-life those places attract.  And at the end of the day, if you're not into hooking up with a prostitute or talking to sexpats/sex tourists, it's not so great.   Having said all that, I know lots of people like Suk... they can't all be wrong. Maybe it's just me but I know enough people after 10 years here to know that plenty of expats - whether male or female - would gladly give Suk a miss and go somewhere else for nightlife.
This thread isn't about expats though.
Telling a first timer to go to ekamia is just cruel. Same reason why websites like trip advisor are not pushing it either.
Hey you probably work here and like it nice n quite but that's for another thread.

1 hour ago, stephen tracy said:

To each his/her own I guess.  I rarely stay in reading a book.  In my opinion the area between Asoke and Nana, although boasting many restaurants and bars, you can count on one hand how many are actually anything above mediocre.  Nana itself is fine if you want to pay for sex but it's also is a magnate for every form of white trash on the planet. People who wouldn't even be in Thailand if it wasn't for the cheap hookers.  Generally though I'd say there's probably something for everyone in Bangkok.  It's a diverse city.

I absolutely do not see it that way where in Nana is this?  I do not see many if any "white trash" on Nana.  This to me would mean meth or heavy alcoholics with their teeth missing, filthy clothes, and no money formally living in a trailer park. Or, what form of "white trash" do you mean?

Nana bars and restaurants are not cheap. Most white people are dressed decently and look kempt spending some money and having a good time.  Maybe looking for a girl.  None of this makes them white trash in my book in fact just the opposite.

I absolutely do not see it that way where in Nana is this?  I do not see many if any "white trash" on Nana.  This to me would mean meth or heavy alcoholics with their teeth missing, filthy clothes, and no money formally living in a trailer park. Or, what form of "white trash" do you mean? Nana bars and restaurants are not cheap. Most white people are dressed decently and look kempt spending some money and having a good time.  Maybe looking for a girl.  None of this makes them white trash in my book in fact just the opposite.  

Yes it's ironic that those living in the outer suburbs criticize lower Sukhumvit where it's way more expensive in every way, most just can't afford it but need to justify.  the new q condo has smashed real estate records in the area with direct access to Nana bts is priced from 1 million to 5 million USA DOLLARS!! Clearly forward thinking to when Nana Plaza closes (a matter of time)  

Big changes happening on lower Sukhumvit with the liberation of foot paths, two brand new 5 star hotels investing billions of baht 2 minutes from Nana bts and 5 star condos popping up regularly.

Unfortunately the boys in the sleepy burbs are stuck over there and do not see the transformation.

20 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Yes it's ironic that those living in the outer suburbs criticize lower Sukhumvit where it's way more expensive in every way, most just can't afford it but need to justify.

the new q condo has smashed real estate records in the area with direct access to Nana bts is priced from 1 million to 5 million USA DOLLARS!! Clearly forward thinking to when Nana Plaza closes (a matter of time)

Big changes happening on lower Sukhumvit with the liberation of foot paths, two brand new 5 star hotels 2 minutes from Nana bts and 5 star condos popping up regularly.

Unfortunately the boys in the burbs are stuck over there and do not see the transformation.

Yes.  I have a place in Nana area and love it. And, I am not a party guy many families here.  It is so easy and close to everything and my building is very quiet.

I actually looked at THE Q for fun.  It is super nice and hiso they told me they have sold many, but who knows.  Yes, I do not know of a Condo that has a passage directly to the BTS, but they do.  Good for those who can afford the place. 

As far as Nana, I do not disagree about The Plaza.  It seems past its time and I can see it closing at some point.  But as you probably know there are many new hotels, bars, restaurants going in the area now.  I like the old Nana but an update at least keeping the area in place, it's OK.  

18 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Yes it's ironic that those living in the outer suburbs criticize lower Sukhumvit where it's way more expensive in every way, most just can't afford it but need to justify.  the new q condo has smashed real estate records in the area with direct access to Nana bts is priced from 1 million to 5 million USA DOLLARS!! Clearly forward thinking to when Nana Plaza closes (a matter of time)  

Big changes happening on lower Sukhumvit with the liberation of foot paths, two brand new 5 star hotels investing billions of baht 2 minutes from Nana bts and 5 star condos popping up regularly.

Unfortunately the boys in the sleepy burbs are stuck over there and do not see the transformation.

I don't live in the suburbs unless you consider Silom/Sathon as the suburbs.  I just happen to think lower Suk is a hole.  I don't have money issues, I can afford to live anywhere in Bangkok but I wouldn't live in Suk even if you paid me. 

1 hour ago, stephen tracy said:

I don't live in the suburbs unless you consider Silom/Sathon as the suburbs.  I just happen to think lower Suk is a hole.  I don't have money issues, I can afford to live anywhere in Bangkok but I wouldn't live in Suk even if you paid me. 

OK, that area.  The most congested claustrophobic place in town.

By far the sleaziest rip off place in this town is in Silom=Patpong.

Also, if you ever mention Silom the first thing people seem to say is: Oh yes, that is where all the Gay massage places are....... 

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

OK, that area.  The most congested claustrophobic place in town.

By far the sleaziest rip off place in this town is in Silom=Patpong.

Also, if you ever mention Silom the first thing people seem to say is: Oh yes, that is where all the Gay massage places are....... 

In the 10 years that I have lived in Silom/Sathon, I have never had anyone make that reply when I have said I live in that area. That's just weird. Silom is in no way anywhere near has congested as Sukumvit. I don't see how it's claustrophobic at all and within 5 minutes on a motorbike taxi you can be at riverside bar/restaurant.  As for sleaziest rip off place... are you kidding?  Lower Suk to Asoke is rammed full of sex-tourists and hookers.  And why on earth would anyone, even for a second, consider going to pat-pong for a drink or food?  No one goes there apart from tourists, mostly drawn to the night market.  Experienced sex-tourists don't even bother with it, I assume because they prefer tp be around their own kind somewhere on Sukumvit. 

In the 10 years that I have lived in Silom/Sathon, I have never had anyone make that reply when I have said I live in that area. That's just weird. Silom is in no way anywhere near has congested as Sukumvit. I don't see how it's claustrophobic at all and within 5 minutes on a motorbike taxi you can be at riverside bar/restaurant.  As for sleaziest rip off place... are you kidding?  Lower Suk to Asoke is rammed full of sex-tourists and hookers.  And why on earth would anyone, even for a second, consider going to pat-pong for a drink or food?  No one goes there apart from tourists, mostly drawn to the night market.  Experienced sex-tourists don't even bother with it, I assume because they prefer tp be around their own kind somewhere on Sukumvit. 

Are you for real? Everybody knows to avoid silom if you're not into the gay SCENE.

Personally I prefer sexy ladies at cowboy , but whatever floates your boat dude, not judging you

https://www.travelgayasia.com/bangkok-gay-bars/

"Bangkok’s main gay bar scene is located in Silom district"

1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:

Are you for real? Everybody knows to avoid silom if you're not into the gay SCENE.

Personally I prefer sexy ladies at cowboy , but whatever floates your boat dude, not judging you

https://www.travelgayasia.com/bangkok-gay-bars/

Bangkok’s main gay bar scene is located in Silom district

Really? Well, I'm not gay, nor are any of the expats I know that also live in the area. You obviously are not that familiar with the it.  And as far as Cowboy/Nana etc, I never go to places like that.  I aint into the red-light, hooker scene.  I know for many western males that's the only reason they're here and find it difficult to comprehend that other people aren't into that.  I find those people an embarrassment.  I think this is simply a case of we have to agree to disagree. 

Really? Well, I'm not gay, nor are any of the expats I know that also live in the area. You obviously are not that familiar with the it.  And as far as Cowboy/Nana etc, I never go to places like that.  I aint into the red-light, hooker scene.  I know for many western males that's the only reason they're here and find it difficult to comprehend that other people aren't into that.  I find those people an embarrassment.  I think this is simply a case of we have to agree to disagree. 
Just odd to criticize lower Sukhumvit for straight sex tourists when your area is a gay sex tourist mecca .

Bit of pot kettle black going on.
However we are all different but getting hit on by men makes my skin crawl.

Just odd to criticize lower Sukhumvit for straight sex tourists when your area is a gay sex tourist mecca .

Bit of pot kettle black going on.
However we are all different but getting hit on by men makes my skin crawl.

Ummm... right mate.  In 10 years of living here I've never been hit on by a guy. It's hardly a gay tourist "Mecca", it's primarily the city's business district with a plethora of bars and restaurants from Lumpini junction all the way to the river and on the river. You are aware that Silom/Sathon does not consist exclusively of gay bars right?  In fact, this area has a very high concentration of female expats (teachers and NGOs mostly) who prefer it to lower Sukumvit because the sight of sexpats/sex-tourists with their rent-a-shag makes their skin crawl. 

Ummm... right mate.  In 10 years of living here I've never been hit on by a guy. It's hardly a gay tourist "Mecca", it's primarily the city's business district with a plethora of bars and restaurants from Lumpini junction all the way to the river and on the river. You are aware that Silom/Sathon does not consist exclusively of gay bars right?  In fact, this area has a very high concentration of female expats (teachers and NGOs mostly) who prefer it to lower Sukumvit because the sight of sexpats/sex-tourists with their rent-a-shag makes their skin crawl. 

Their you go again. Both soi 4 and cowboy only go for a few hundred meters as well compared to hundreds of normal sois and a plethora of 5 star hotels. And upmarket resteraunts

So what are you trying to prove?

I have no problem seeing straight men with their sexy girls however a slimy old dude with a teen Asian toy boy makes me sick

Good your ok with that but how about you stay in gay land and I stay straight land and we are both happy [emoji3]

2 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Their you go again. Both soi 4 and cowboy only go for a few hundred meters as well compared to hundreds of normal sois and a plethora of 5 star hotels. And upmarket resteraunts

So what are you trying to prove?

I have no problem seeing straight men with their sexy girls however a slimy old dude with a teen Asian toy boy makes me sick

Good your ok with that but how about you stay in gay land and I stay straight land and we are both happy emoji3.png

No need to prove anything.  You just did that.  You have no problem with sex-tourist/pats because you are one.  That's why that area is suitable for you.  You can be amongst your own kind.  I doubt you would even be in Thailand if it wasn't for the cheap sex.

No need to prove anything.  You just did that.  You have no problem with sex-tourist/pats because you are one.  That's why that area is suitable for you.  You can be amongst your own kind.  I doubt you would even be in Thailand if it wasn't for the cheap sex.
Well yes if I want a girl I will go get one.

Choosing a boy is your prerogative and I'm guessing your a closet gay and that's why you chose silom.

Why are you getting so upset? We are all adults.

You can make a thousand posts but that won't change silom = boy

Sukhumvit = straight

It's undoable.

Back on topic to the OP IF you're into ladies do NOT go to silom

Well yes if I want a girl I will go get one.

Choosing a boy is your prerogative and I'm guessing your a closet gay and that's why you chose silom.

Why are you getting so upset? We are all adults.

You can make a thousand posts but that won't change silom = boy

Sukhumvit = straight

It's undoable.

Back on topic to the OP IF you're into ladies do NOT go to silom

OP, if you can't actually meet and pull a woman without paying for it, then yes follow the above advice.  Anyway, I'm gonna go have a wander down Silom and look at the hoards of gay men/women.  Or are they office workers?  Hmmmm.  InMYShadow is the typical sexpat that actually thinks Sukumvit is Bangkok and Pattaya is Thailand, and has absolutely no idea how people like him are viewed by Thais.  The Thais actually have a phrase for people like that and it's not flattering.  As I said before, he would not even be here if it wasn't for the fact that he can have a sex life ... for a price of course.

4 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

OP, if you can't actually meet and pull a woman without paying for it, then yes follow the above advice.  Anyway, I'm gonna go have a wander down Silom and look at the hoards of gay men/women.  Or are they office workers?  Hmmmm.  InMYShadow is the typical sexpat that actually thinks Sukumvit is Bangkok and Pattaya is Thailand, and has absolutely no idea how people like him are viewed by Thais.  The Thais actually have a phrase for people like that and it's not flattering.  As I said before, he would not even be here if it wasn't for the fact that he can have a sex life ... for a price of course.

Sukhumvit = loser

Enjoy the boys Tracy in slimy silom!

Can I call you Tracy? It's a bit girly gay.. Bahahahaha

Enjoy the boys Tracy in slimy silom!

Can I call you Tracy? It's a bit girly gay.. Bahahahaha

I'm not gay.  You though are obviously seriously homophobic.  Enjoy your paid-for sex life! I'm sure it's very fulfilling to know that the girl (if indeed it is an actual female) is physically repulsed by you 

I'm not gay.  You though are obviously seriously homophobic.  Enjoy your paid-for sex life! I'm sure it's very fulfilling to know that the girl (if indeed it is an actual female) is physically repulsed by you 
Tracy Tracy Tracy a gay sex pat living in the gay capital of bangkok attacking heterosexuals on Sukhumvit

Has to be real you can't make this shit up lol

7 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Tracy Tracy Tracy a gay sex pat living in the gay capital of bangkok attacking heterosexuals on Sukhumvit

Has to be real you can't make this shit up lol

Also, I didn't attack heterosexuals on Sukumvit, I made less than flattering comments about sex-tourists/pat losers in BKK.  There's a difference. 

14 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Also, I didn't attack heterosexuals on Sukumvit, I made less than flattering comments about sex-tourists/pat losers in BKK.  There's a difference. 

Tracy let me spell this out for you. You are living in an area that is the capital of gay sleaze in Bangkok

This your world, the place you chose to live.

gay_zpswlxntxfk.jpg

This is my world , The place I chose to live.

straight_zpsxayocc1a.jpg

Now tell me again who is the loser ???

Most of your posts show a deep hatred for women..they offend you..we get it!

No body is judging you tracy

3 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Tracy let me spell this out for you. You are living in an area that is the capital of gay sleaze in Bangkok

This your world, the place you chose to live.

gay_zpswlxntxfk.jpg

This is my world , The place I chose to live.

straight_zpsxayocc1a.jpg

Now tell me again who is the loser ???

Good luck with that mate... pity you can't pull without cash... sexpat loser

Archived