Chonburi man sells car on Facebook - then steals it back with a spare key

webfact

Chonburi man sells car on Facebook - then steals it back with a spare key

5pm.jpg

Source: Pattaya News

BANGKOK: -- A Chonburi man in cahoots with his son sold a car on Facebook then went back to the house of the person who bought it at night and used a spare key to steal it back.

But CCTV and swift police action soon brought the criminal to justice, reported Pattaya News.

Wattanachai Chimmarak, 37, has been charged with theft during the hours of darkness. His 18 year old son named only as "A" remains on the loose.

Wattanachai had a Facebook page called "Worker Selling Car Cheap". He sold a black Honda Jazz to a customer on finance.

Reuangrit Rachaponsaen, 35, was delighted with the deal - he paid 45,000 baht and was set to continue with 24 monthly instalments of 7,800 baht.

But within days he was at Don Hua Lor police station reporting the theft of his 'new' second hand car from outside his house in Klong Na sub-district of Chonburi.

Police were told that the father and son team had brought the car to the victim's house - it was all part of the service. But later they

had driven in a Toyota Vios to stake out the victim's house and bide their time before using a spare key to steal back the car.

CCTV gave the police a lead to who had done it and where they lived.

Police warned people buying cars through Facebook to make sure that sellers were reputable.

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-02

yep old scam ..when buying a used car always ask for the spare keys ...new cars usually come with 3 sets of keys 

so if no spare keys are handed over then off to the dealer and have the other keys cancelled and the alarm and immobiliser re-programmed 

3 hours ago, o2eZy said:

yep old scam ..when buying a used car always ask for the spare keys ...new cars usually come with 3 sets of keys 

so if no spare keys are handed over then off to the dealer and have the other keys cancelled and the alarm and immobiliser re-programmed 

The two I have bought new here only had 2 sets each - the most recent was just over 2 years ago.

4 hours ago, o2eZy said:

yep old scam ..when buying a used car always ask for the spare keys ...

Yeah, cuz  nobody dumb enough to steal back a car they just sold would ever think about lying about how many spare keys they have.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Police were told that the father and son team had brought the car to the victim's house - it was all part of the service. But later they

had driven in a Toyota Vios to stake out the victim's house and bide their time before using a spare key to steal back the car.

Who knew stupidity was genetic?

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

The garage or showroom still has the third key.

I have a early model E46 BMW and they come with 3 Keys.. 2 are key immobiliser buttons and 1 key that does the doors and boot but not ignition

as I said you can cancel out what keys with immobiliser that you do not have through OBD and service software which means that the missing key is not active or if you recover that missing key then you can re-activate it again

what ever car you have it only takes 10 minutes to do this work through OBD...is better than loosing your new car  

In case of a forcibly repossessed car, there is usually only one set of keys, but the car is legit.

So, as stated above, best advice is off to the dealer, ask if the car was reported stolen, and order a fresh set of keys.

Pretty damn clever, if the thefts were the unoffical financier, seems so by "all part of the service"..

"he paid 45,000 baht and was set to continue with 24 monthly instalments of 7,800 baht."

I cant give you ownership and book etc as the bank still thinks its in my name etc, but hey i'll trust you to pay me indirectly, happy to help another thai. Steal car back. Bill and bob go visit house to hear theft story and its all a sorry affair, but since buddha willing Bill and bob are good people, they take the loss, minus a few extra $$ ..

Bing, 45k plus some settlement money, send it up to your cousin in another town, and lets do same again. 

Enterprising. 555

Good idea but unethical.

I wonder how many individuals consider their new, (second hand car), they've just bought,being stolen back by the previous owner/s?

To be honest, I've never given it a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived