Koh Phangan ferry gets stuck on sandbar just after leaving port - 105 saved

snoop1130

Koh Phangan ferry gets stuck on sandbar just after leaving port - 105 saved

aHR0cDovL3BlMi5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzQ0MS8yMjA5NzM4LzguanBn.jpg

Some 105 passengers had a scary experience yesterday when a Koh Phangan ferry got stranded on a sandbar shortly after leaving port.

Raja Ferry Co Ltd, who run the service, sent speedboats to pick up the passengers and crew from the stricken vessel.

There were also 40 cars on the car deck. the fate of these would only be confirmed when the tide came in and the ship could be moved. This was reckoned to be after 5pm yesterday.

Both the local harbor master and Raja Ferry promised a full investigation saying that the captain and others concerned will be interviewed.

Raja Ferry apologized to the passengers for making them late and said that everything would be done to ensure there was not a repeat of the incident.

Source: http://news.sanook.com/2209738/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-5-3

Well, the OP article actually names the company operating the stricken ship (naming being a practice that these days in increasingly becoming a rarity).

So no one would not need to look at the blurred out section of the photo in order to know who the boat operator was...

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, the OP article actually names the company operating the stricken ship (naming being a practice that these days in increasingly becoming a rarity).

So no one would not need to look at the blurred out section of the photo in order to know who the boat operator was...

The blurred out logo is not from the ferry company....its a singha beer lion....

This was the back end this morning, vehicles on board, this evening the back ramp was closed.... I and every one on our boat had wondered  what had happened....

Hope there will be a higher tide overnight to get it floating again!

This morning around 9 am.

IMG_0130.JPG

Late this afternoon..

IMG_0120.JPG

Marine police present

IMG_0121.JPG

Surely the captain knew  about the sandbar, was the captain/helmsman tested for alcohol/drugs?

Ok  sandbars move with the tides, but as this is a regular service they should have been aware of this.

41 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Surely the captain knew  about the sandbar, was the captain/helmsman tested for alcohol/drugs?

Ok  sandbars move with the tides, but as this is a regular service they should have been aware of this.

But I made it across the sandbar loads of times in the past ...

If you ask me the location of where the ferry is, seems to be a little off... too far east ... I gather it was heading to Lipa Noi on Samui....

A friend was supposed to have been on the 4 pm return trip... he got his  fare refunded after a bit of a hassle!

They should be made to pay!  That is not a sand bar.  That is the end of the reef with many gigantic coral in that area. I often paddle board over that area.  Those black soot spewing jalopys are so outdated and polluting that often tourists see an approaching ship and think it is a vessel on fire.

14 hours ago, colinneil said:

I can see the sand bar from 9000 miles away it is more than obvious.

6 hours ago, Taco said:

They should be made to pay!  That is not a sand bar.  That is the end of the reef with many gigantic coral in that area. I often paddle board over that area.  Those black soot spewing jalopys are so outdated and polluting that often tourists see an approaching ship and think it is a vessel on fire.

I'm not saying you are lying but please can you post some proof of 'gigantic coral in that area' because if there is I'll be over soon to do some snorkelling there myself.

BTW the comments about the ferries are approaching the truth ;-)

In actual fact the true headlines read . . .  "105 totally peed-off passengers unable to leave due to a further four hours of staggering ineptitude."

But 'rescued' sounds so much better . . . . 

Archived