5 years here,but this has left me stunned

The problems all started as soon as she spoke to another Thai about the plan. In this case it was the taxi driver, and as any Thai knows a Thai man (no matter who) knows much more than the farang who had organized the trip. It was doomed from the start.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of the answers or comments on this are absurd and show me that most Westerners in Thailand not only do not understand Thais but consider themselves superior for some reason.

First of all- if is you who overpaid for the accommodation. A Thai would know this immediately. Your GF aas trying to save you money, but she had no knowledge that you would be charged a no show fee.  Why would you expect the average Thai person to understand something like that. She assumed- no problem- just change to a cheaper place and all is well.

It appears from your point of view you are 'renting' her and also treating her as a second class person. If she was really smart- she would dump you. She can definitely do better.

Just now, LukKrueng said:

before booking the 12k thb hotel did you even ask her what she wanted? Did you discuss the hotel's location? Did she know where you were sending her? 

Why didn't the Thai who speaks the language book it over the phone?

Why would a Thai want to holiday in Phuket or Patong?

The whole story looks suss.

4 hours ago, thaifoodruns said:

Mistake 1. Never date women with kids from other men

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

mistake 2.  never live or marry a Thai woman if you live in Thailand too expensive as you finding out.

I have a friend like you: he doesn't teach anything to the smart girlfriend and then wonder why she knows nothing ! Maybe because he also knows nothing ! People get what they deserve...

4 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Many of the answers or comments on this are absurd and show me that most Westerners in Thailand not only do not understand Thais but consider themselves superior for some reason.

First of all- if is you who overpaid for the accommodation. A Thai would know this immediately. Your GF aas trying to save you money, but she had no knowledge that you would be charged a no show fee.  Why would you expect the average Thai person to understand something like that. She assumed- no problem- just change to a cheaper place and all is well.

It appears from your point of view you are 'renting' her and also treating her as a second class person. If she was really smart- she would dump you. She can definitely do better.

Who else but a second or third class person would change WHAT I HAVE DECIDED and booked ?

Just now, catman20 said:

mistake 2.  never live or marry a Thai woman if you live in Thailand too expensive as you finding out.

If she works like a normal person fine. If she is just a part time hooker definately not.

34 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

So true.  Some guys pick the wrong women over and over again, then come on TV to complain about it.  Personal responsibility?  Forget about it.  They never learn.  How some of these guys make it to adulthood is beyond me. 

Woman with kids and who does not understand anything. Great choice OP !

I truly feel sorry for any Thai woman that is associated with some of the posters on this subject.  You can treat people like cattle for only so long. Eventually, they will bite you. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

1 hour ago, howard ashoul said:

I don't agree that she's a bad woman and you should leave her. It's just a Thai logic.

Thai driver refused to driver her to her hotel, so she agreed and nobody lost their face. No arguing. No problem.

And this hotel is only 6000 Baht, so she is saving you money. And trying to make you happy. But she can't probably see too far, that you're have to pay another hotel too. Just thai logic and maybe limited mental capacity.

You could get married 10 times again and at the end you would end up with girl, that would be using same logic anyway.

I found, that best strategy is to give her money every Sunday, so she can buy food and stuff for home. I don't even ask what she's doing with that money as far as I have food every evening at the table. I don't wanna go mental every week over what she done with that money. That she saw weird mushroom in jungle and it told her that she have to bet XXXX Baht at some number in Thai lottery. She just get money every Sunday and her responsibility is to buy food etc.

And everything else I handle myself. Or her with me behind her back. I would not even let her go book hotel, go to bank or pay insurance on motocycle. Because she's thai, she would be dealing with thai and by using their logic I would get <deleted> big time everytime. She wouldn't buy 10 000 Baht insurance for 1 year, she would buy 30 000 baht insurance for 2 years. Because seller told her so. And buying in bulk is always cheaper! Thai logic.

And that's basically what you have done. You let her go alone and make decisions. Enjoy consequences!

Thai around me use the logic that I tell them to use and they know that I am not interested in their opinion.

Maybe time for you to understand that people can improve when they are explained and taught the right way by the right person.

I truly feel sorry for any Thai woman that is associated with some of the posters on this subject.  You can treat people like cattle for only so long. Eventually, they will bite you. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

When you have time to get off your horse can you tell me what is the correct way to deal with this situation? I think the OP did alright

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

dealing with stupidity because she is hot does not make any sense. also supporting a girl with 2 kids does not make sense. there are tons of girls to choose from. you can even meet them online so you can pretend they are not hookers.

i think your being a bit hard, ive met some very honest hard working descent Thai women on the net, not hookers but are easy to get in the sack.:smile:

So she is "smoking hot" ......so you made your choice based on that criteria. Everything that comes with a smoking hot woman it seems you have got. And if she is as you describe, then cut her some slack. It is only money, and there is usually more where that came from. If it is a choice between mildly ugly and smoking....the choice is easy every time. How shallow we men are......grin!

17 minutes ago, catman20 said:

i think your being a bit hard, ive met some very honest hard working descent Thai women on the net, not hookers but are easy to get in the sack.:smile:

So they were sluts with low standards. Not much different from hookers.

If she is smoking hot that is one thing to consider. Also the OP says her children are very polite which shows they are well brought up by a good mother.

This seems to be a misunderstanding; a culture clash if you like. I think the OP has a short temper and needs to calm down a bit. Don't ruin a family's life over one small incident. 

I agree! Give her her walking papers. No better idea. While she's at the beach you move out and change your cell phone number.

Cancel your credit cards and have them reissued at your new home. Find someone who has some brains!

Geezer tried to save a few quid by sending her off on her jollies alone with her family and now he's moaning about losing 12k and walking out the door like a little baby. Been with her a year yet the first sign of a mistake and he's bolting and crying to the world. 12k you paid for 1 night you say if it's of such little consequence why are you even moaning. 12k is a fair bit for 1 night and if it's 12k for a week etc then they could make there way today. Either way something not right some Billy bull being played out here.

On the other hand if she did not know he would have to pay anyway, she probably thought she was saving him money. We do not know how much she knew about the original booking, probably thought if she didn't go there there wouldn't be any charge.

There is always more than one way to look at a situation.

Westerners are taken for a ride to places they do not want daily in Thailand- It has been happening for  decades and will continue.  This is not a question of stupidity but being gullible and the fact that anyone with any sense would never pay 12,000 Baht for a condo/hotel  or as far as I am concerned never pay 6,000 Baht.

The truly ignorant person is the OP who expects a  Thai to understand how hotel bookings work and the cancellation policy.  In addition- if your only reason for 'supporting' a person is they are 'attractive'- you have some personality issues.

Reading over these answers reminds me of why Thai women became disgusted by Western men. They are selfish and arrogant. 

Keep yelling at her and one day you will come home and she won't be there.

Archived