Foreign Man Dies At Pattaya's 'Thai Sky Adventures'

snoop1130

Foreign Man Dies At Pattaya's 'Thai Sky Adventures'

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

PATTAYA — A foreign man fell to his death while skydiving Thursday afternoon, police said.

The 60-year-old man, who has yet to be identified, fell to his death from a plane belonging to Thai Sky Adventures in Pattaya, an outfit that has had at least one brush with danger in recent years.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2017/05/04/foreign-man-dies-pattayas-thai-sky-adventures/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-5-4

Now being reported by UK press.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3481321/thailand-skydiving-pensioner-death-james-mcconnell/

A BRITISH tourist has died in a horror skydiving accident after plunging into a reservoir.

James McConnell, 69, had been on holiday with family in Pattaya, Thailand, when he visited the skydiving centre today.

He leapt from a plane and landed in nearby water – missing the airstrip at the Thai Sky Adventures airbase.

Rescuers arrived at the scene and battled to save the pensioner from Dunctocher, Scotland, but he was pronounced dead upon arrival at hospital.

RIP

Scottish skydiver dies in horror accident in Thailand after he overshoots his landing spot

Great-grandfather James missed the airstrip at the Thai Sky Adventures airbase and plunged into a reservoir.

BY SALLY HIND

A Scot died in a horror skydiving accident after plunging into a reservoir.

James McConnell, 69, from Clydebank, had been living in Thailand and regularly visited the skydiving centre.

The experienced skydiver jumped from a plane yesterday and landed in nearby water – missing the airstrip at the Thai Sky Adventures airbase.

Full story: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scottish-skydiver-dies-horror-accident-10356964

-- Daily Record 2017-05-05

I am often puzzled why so many people deliberately put their life in danger in search of 'adventure'. Not very considerate if they have family they leave behind to cope with the consequences of failure. I can only guess that they consider life as it is is too boring.

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I am often puzzled why so many people deliberately put their life in danger in search of 'adventure'. Not very considerate if they have family they leave behind to cope with the consequences of failure. I can only guess that they consider life as it is is too boring.

Adrenaline 

Very addictive 

46 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Exactly what I am thinking ! People life is driven by advertising and marketing, they all think that they want to do this kind of shiiite dangerous activity. Then they get what they are looking for.

And what a great responsible owner ! He should be Thai !

Reached for comment at about 3pm, Harry Harrison, a British owner of Thai Sky Adventures, said he was unaware of the incident.
“No comment. Bye!” he said before terminating the call.

43 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Driving a car is far more dangerous, particularly in this country,  and oftentimes it's not even essential - yet people happily take on that level of risk on a daily basis when they don't need to.

It puzzles me why people WOULDN'T take part in an activity that's safer and much more enjoyable!

49 minutes ago, abab said:

Exactly what I am thinking ! People life is driven by advertising and marketing, they all think that they want to do this kind of shiiite dangerous activity. Then they get what they are looking for.

what are you ranting about? People have been looking for excitement and adventure ever since we crawled out of the primeval ooze. 

It makes life colorful and interesting - and sky diving is not even that dangerous

8 hours ago, HooHaa said:

it must be so very difficult for many on thaivisa to conceive that not everyone is here on a retirement visa biding their time and waiting to die.

When my birth certificate was issued to my parents I was put on alert for "waiting to die" :whistling:

Who else was in the plane with him ?

What happened to his credit cards and phone ?

People dont just jump out of aeroplanes for no reason

There is more to this story , I reckon that he was pushed out the aeroplane

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Who else was in the plane with him ?

What happened to his credit cards and phone ?

People dont just jump out of aeroplanes for no reason

There is more to this story , I reckon that he was pushed out the aeroplane

When you go sky diving... you don your shoot before entering the plane... 

... If he was pushed - he'd still be able to open his shoot.

... more to the story... agreed... Shoot didn't open, or landed in the water and drowned under the shoot... or... 

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think it depends on your risk profile...  In New Zealand, both my Wife and I did the 136m Nevis Bungy... We sky dived from 15000 ft above lake Taupo, we took the Shotover Jetboat along a Queenstown river canyon... 

We had a 10 month old child at the time...  We didn't go up in the plane together... Some may say this was too risky, others may agree that its just adults enjoying and getting on with life... I say it was an excellent adventure and an incredible experience...  

I wouldn't try the same in Thailand... In fact when evaluating and balancing out the risks I even avoid using motorcycle taxis here in Thailand (Bangkok).

.... some of these adventures offering a Thrill, when evaluated with an intelligent and balanced approach are often much safer than the risks we expose ourselves too in everyday life (such as crossing the road in Thailand, using motorcycle taxi's, walking next to a boiling vat of oil on the street, walking down a pavement with motorcycles, taking a taxi on the toll way without rear seatbelts etc etc.... getting in Taxi's with emotionally immature and high charged potentially aggressive drivers !!!... the list goes on)... 

After reading TV a while, i made an account, because there is so much wrong info about this.

Ok, where do i start?

This news article ist indeed confusing in so many aspects, which is sadly not uncommon for every skydive related news. As a skydiver myself, it makes me sad to read so many false and confusing information. We are not suicidal lunatics. Jumping is very safe, but every accident is big news. Yes, staying at home is safer then jumping. But that goes for many activities outside.

21 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Very confusing article. I wasn't sure if I was reading a report on an incident or a skydiving brochure. 

Yes. This article is just one confusing sentence after another. The article from the sun is even worse. It is like reporting on a car accident like "Car crash happend on a road, left tire was black, passenger had a helmet (but sold it to his sister.)"

Given the information, it seams that a very experienced jumper died after jumping alone. So this was no tamdem, so nobody strapped to anybody. Experienced jumpers have own equipment, which they take good care of. Depending on the country, the reserve canopy is checked every 6-12 month, with a full check of the gear every 12 month. Bevore every jump, key elements of the equipment are checked. Every jump.

The packing is done by the jumper (only for the "main" canopy, reserve must be packed by a certified rigger). If he wants to save some sweat, packing can be done by packers on site. They normaly pack the tamdems and work jumper rigs, but will also pack yours if you like. It's about 200 THB and takes 10 Minutes. I let them pack my stuff last year, and was very satisfied. They did a job as good  as other big dopzones, like zHills or Dubai.

Mistakes can happen, but most of them can be fixed, and then you always have your reserve canopy. There is extensive training bevor your first jump, because a problem can arrise on your first jump or on your 3000+ jump. If your instructor is not 100% sure you can do it, he will not let you jump.

Overshooting the landing area is not a gear problem. Sadly, he just might had an heart attack and might be unable to control the canopy. Yes, this happens, because we love jumping, and most jumpers do it until they are really old. This adds risk, as there is a better chance to help you when you are on the ground, but this is every jumpers own decision.

There are parts of skydiving that increase the risk, like very fast landing near the ground. People do that, and it's their decision. If something happens, it is them who have to deal with it. Unlike driving in Thai traffic, doing something stupid only hurts you 99% of the time.

21 hours ago, champers said:

Not a very good advert for the business. Can we presume the deceased wasn't hitched up to a safety line or an instructor? How could that happen? RIP.

There are no safety lines. He boards the aircraft with all the gear checked and two parachutes. Some jumps can be done with something called a "static line". This line will stretch and open your main canopy after exiting the plane. It will be no help after that, and you still need to be prepaired to do your emergency drill if need arrises.

20 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

You've seen how we drive, now experience how we pack a parachute

As said, packing is done well, and fun jumpers normaly pack themselfes. This incident seamed not to be related to gear problems.

19 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Note to oneself. Only pay on completion. Might help them remember to be more thorough looking after their clients!

There is nothing the dropzone can do, besides taking good care of the airplane and enforcing a culture of safety among jumpers. This accident might be gear related, but it could be something completly different. From this "report", nobody can tell.

This article here is much better:

http://news.thaivisa.com/article/2322/thaivisa-exclusive-safety-all-above-board-at-pattaya-skydive-centre-where-british-man-died

If he lost consciousness because of a heart attack and did not open his main parachute, the reserve will activate automaticly about 800 feet above ground. This increases the chance of survival, but an unconscious water landing under reserve is something that nobody wants to experience.

40 years of jumping with friends all over the world which nobody could take from him. :sad:

1 hour ago, postal said:

After reading TV a while, i made an account, because there is so much wrong info about this.

Ok, where do i start?

This news article ist indeed confusing in so many aspects, which is sadly not uncommon for every skydive related news. As a skydiver myself, it makes me sad to read so many false and confusing information. We are not suicidal lunatics. Jumping is very safe, but every accident is big news. Yes, staying at home is safer then jumping. But that goes for many activities outside.

Yes. This article is just one confusing sentence after another. The article from the sun is even worse. It is like reporting on a car accident like "Car crash happend on a road, left tire was black, passenger had a helmet (but sold it to his sister.)"

Given the information, it seams that a very experienced jumper died after jumping alone. So this was no tamdem, so nobody strapped to anybody. Experienced jumpers have own equipment, which they take good care of. Depending on the country, the reserve canopy is checked every 6-12 month, with a full check of the gear every 12 month. Bevore every jump, key elements of the equipment are checked. Every jump.

The packing is done by the jumper (only for the "main" canopy, reserve must be packed by a certified rigger). If he wants to save some sweat, packing can be done by packers on site. They normaly pack the tamdems and work jumper rigs, but will also pack yours if you like. It's about 200 THB and takes 10 Minutes. I let them pack my stuff last year, and was very satisfied. They did a job as good  as other big dopzones, like zHills or Dubai.

Mistakes can happen, but most of them can be fixed, and then you always have your reserve canopy. There is extensive training bevor your first jump, because a problem can arrise on your first jump or on your 3000+ jump. If your instructor is not 100% sure you can do it, he will not let you jump.

Overshooting the landing area is not a gear problem. Sadly, he just might had an heart attack and might be unable to control the canopy. Yes, this happens, because we love jumping, and most jumpers do it until they are really old. This adds risk, as there is a better chance to help you when you are on the ground, but this is every jumpers own decision.

There are parts of skydiving that increase the risk, like very fast landing near the ground. People do that, and it's their decision. If something happens, it is them who have to deal with it. Unlike driving in Thai traffic, doing something stupid only hurts you 99% of the time.

There are no safety lines. He boards the aircraft with all the gear checked and two parachutes. Some jumps can be done with something called a "static line". This line will stretch and open your main canopy after exiting the plane. It will be no help after that, and you still need to be prepaired to do your emergency drill if need arrises.

As said, packing is done well, and fun jumpers normaly pack themselfes. This incident seamed not to be related to gear problems.

There is nothing the dropzone can do, besides taking good care of the airplane and enforcing a culture of safety among jumpers. This accident might be gear related, but it could be something completly different. From this "report", nobody can tell.

I can imagine it being a thrill but still cant come to grips with jumping out of a perfectly operational plane.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think it depends on your risk profile...  In New Zealand, both my Wife and I did the 136m Nevis Bungy... We sky dived from 15000 ft above lake Taupo, we took the Shotover Jetboat along a Queenstown river canyon... 

We had a 10 month old child at the time...  We didn't go up in the plane together... Some may say this was too risky, others may agree that its just adults enjoying and getting on with life... I say it was an excellent adventure and an incredible experience...  

I wouldn't try the same in Thailand... In fact when evaluating and balancing out the risks I even avoid using motorcycle taxis here in Thailand (Bangkok).

.... some of these adventures offering a Thrill, when evaluated with an intelligent and balanced approach are often much safer than the risks we expose ourselves too in everyday life (such as crossing the road in Thailand, using motorcycle taxi's, walking next to a boiling vat of oil on the street, walking down a pavement with motorcycles, taking a taxi on the toll way without rear seatbelts etc etc.... getting in Taxi's with emotionally immature and high charged potentially aggressive drivers !!!... the list goes on)... 

It's so ridiculous to explain that it is more dangerous to cross the roads or go to the supermarket: WE NEED TO CROSS THE ROADS but nobody needs to jump from a plane except people who want to die faster than me.

They can do what they want, but if I die crossing the road at least I was crossing on a purpose, not for a stupid ridiculous personal enjoyment.

Even worst for people having kids: stupid selfish idiots.

Archived