Learning To Avoid Confrontation with Stray Dogs

snoop1130

Learning To Avoid Confrontation with Stray Dogs

templedogsafter1year.jpg

“Dogs never bite me; just humans.” Marilyn Munroe

Never approach a stray dog

Strays are usually hungry, thirsty, sometimes injured-and almost always frightened. They could also carry disease. There are too many unknown factors with a stray dog; it’s simply not worth the risk. Despite knowledge of or a love for dogs, it is best to steer clear of a stray. Do NOT reach over their head to pet them as they may see that motion as a threat and bite.

Walk with awareness

Stay aware of your surroundings. Even in familiar
surroundings, scan the area, near and far. This level of awareness doesn’t have to take away from the joy of your walk. You may see things you’ve not noticed before. It’s always best to know who and what is around you. Also, for a variety of safety reasons always bring a mobile phone with you.

Seek a safe haven

If you see a stray dog approaching from a distance, look for a place that’s secure. Step inside a fenced area, enter a place of business, or knock on a neighbor’s door. It’s always better to be safe than risk a dangerous encounter.

Carry food as a distraction

Carrying treats or a pocket full of kibble along with you because strays are almost always hungry, you can use the food to take the dog’s attention off you. Throw the food farther and farther away from you so the dog focuses on the food while you retreat to a place of safety.

If the above is not possible or a stray approaches you by surprise, follow these guidelines to protect yourself:

Don’t try to run

“The trees in Siberia are miles apart, which is why dogs are so fast.” Bob Hope Stand still. Hold your arms in front of you, clasp your hands together, and don’t move. Your goal is to eliminate a perceived threat or remove an opportunity to attack. If you run, there is a high probability that the dog will chase and attack you. If you stand still, he will most likely sniff you, and go on his way. Keep your eyes focused downward and watch the stray with your peripheral vision. Don’t stare at the dog. He could interpret this as a threat. Let the dog sniff you if he wants, but do not stick your hand out as this can be interpreted as a threat. When the dog leaves, do not turn your back on the dog. Back away slowly, so you can keep an eye on the dog. If you have been knocked down by a dog-don’t try to get up and run. Roll into a ball.

Cover your face and head with your arms, keep your legs together, and pull your knees up to your chest. Don’t get up and don’t move until the dog has gone away.

Dog Bites and Your Health – Rabies is Serious!

Always assume that a stray dog bite carries the risk of rabies infection with a fast-acting shot (rabies immune globulin) preventing the rabies virus from infecting you. Part of this injection is given near the area where the animal bit you if possible, as soon as possible after the bite. A series of rabies vaccines is also needed to help your body learn to identify and fight the rabies virus.

Rabies vaccines are given as injections in your arm. You typically receive four injections over 14 days.

– Seek medical attention without delay as early treatment is essential to reduce the risk of infection.
– Wash the area with mild antibacterial soap and running water to reduce the risk of infection. Pat dry.
– Apply antibiotic ointment and cover with a clean bandage or sterile dressing.
– Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before and after treating the wound.
– To reduce swelling, apply an ice pack wrapped in a towel or a cold compress (cloth soaked in cold water) to the bruise for 5-10 minutes.

Source: http://www.huahintoday.com/thailand-news/learning-avoid-confrontation-stray-dogs/

huahintoday_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2017-5-4

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a daily walker attacked by stray and "owned" soi dogs I have ceased being "Mister Nice Guy years go.

I love dogs.. I have several well behaved, trained and secured as pets.

I am regularly  attacked when out walking and I respond with a large heavy pick handle which I carry.  Stage one to drive off the attacking dogs,  Stage two to strike, stun or inflict pain to discourage...

Stage Three to strike hard enough and accurately to collapse the brain casing at the rear of the dogs head causing almost immediate death.

I gain neither pleasure or bravado from this.  I have just made a clear decision I will not be bitten again after the third session at hospital and rabies shots.

Since the culture and social behaviour in this country allows these dogs to be loose and attack me constantly and local and police authorities (or the owners) will do nothing then I take reasonable measures to defend myself.

The use of deadly force in extremis for self defence.

And yes I have on two occasions in the last thirty years.  It took me weeks to overcome the trauma of what I had been forced to do.

And spare me any stories about angry Thais coming after me with guns or knives seeking revenge for dead 
"fido".  

Agree with your approach imagemaestro.

When i walk my own dog it is normal for other soi dogs to approach aggresively. As my dog needs about 2 hours of exercise every day it is not an option to stay indoors, and my dog is waaay too friendly to defend herself (she wants to play with every dog and cat we see, but as soon as the cat hisses or a 5kg dog starts to bark she makes a run for it).

Currently I always carry a wooden stick (about 60cm long) that I was raise as a first warning to keep other dogs away (this helps most of the cases).

If they still approach aggressively they will be hit with the stick at full force on the body (luckily I only had to do this once).

If that is not enough I will hit them again with one end of the stick in which I have put nails. This second attempt to hit is to kill (lets hope it will never come this far, but the health of me and my dog comes over the mud).

I am currently also looking into purchasing pepper spray.

What's wrong with you? In 5 years I was never attacked by a dog. And I never saw anybody get attacked by dog.

And some of you got bitten 3 times? And carrying weapons? Maybe problem isn't in dogs, but in you. If dogs were really so dangerous as described, how could any thai reach 20 years old? How is that, that thais aren't all dead, if their living in this dangerous eviroment all their life? :biggrin:

Just treat dogs as thais. Whenever dogs aproach them they will scream at them to get lost and raise their hand. Works 100% even for me. Don't run like a pussy. And don't act like lost tourist who are scared shittles. Stand your ground. Works everytime.

44 minutes ago, steven100 said:

poison the soi dogs ....    they are vermin ...

And then you're producing poison laden dead dogs as well as leaving poison about, all of which may be ingested by well-behaved pet animals or wildlife or come into contact with children. 

The problem of irresponsible dog owners isn't solved by irresponsible use of lethal chemicals.

1 hour ago, howard ashoul said:

What's wrong with you? In 5 years I was never attacked by a dog. And I never saw anybody get attacked by dog.

And some of you got bitten 3 times? And carrying weapons? Maybe problem isn't in dogs, but in you. If dogs were really so dangerous as described, how could any thai reach 20 years old? How is that, that thais aren't all dead, if their living in this dangerous eviroment all their life? :biggrin:

Just treat dogs as thais. Whenever dogs aproach them they will scream at them to get lost and raise their hand. Works 100% even for me. Don't run like a pussy. And don't act like lost tourist who are scared shittles. Stand your ground. Works everytime.

If you never saw it and it never happened to you, then it must not exist.

I also don't understand the fuss about road deaths in Thailand, I never had an accident here nor seen anyone die, so I suppose all the statistics are just made up.

Solid reasoning mate...

As mentioned I walk my dog outside, and soi dogs are territorial. Maybe thats why they attack?

What do you think? How would you solve it? Never go out anymore? Let my dog rot inside? Great dog lover you are...

Maybe you should speak to some Thais before making assumptions. Many have been attacked and been bitten by dogs. My wife included at a young age. Many people visiting our house are terrified of our dog (Labrador which does not bark, does not growl, does not bite) because they have been attacked previously. And not every dog bite results in death, so again flawed reasoning.

You seem to have the answer how to handle aggressive dogs.

Next time you are in Phuket let me know, we can together visit the local dog school here where they train pitbulls for the military.

Maybe you can show how to handle dogs that want to attack you.

I will stay behind the gated area to film it. It will be great fun.

That is some excellent anecdotal evidence. You have never been attacked, therefore nobody has ever been attacked. Count yourself lucky and don't judge others who have not had your luck. One day it may be you on the other end of those rabid jaws.

"What's wrong with you? In 5 years I was never attacked by a dog. And I never saw anybody get attacked by dog."

You obviously need to get out more and enlighten yourself.  It seems you must be living in the sticks on a secluded chicken farm.  Well, that's your choice, but greatly distanced from the constant threat of soi dogs that attack from behind, attack people on motorcycles, chase cars, and generally are a threat to everybody within spitting distance.

If I were you, I would stay where you are; your tactics won't work everywhere.

2 hours ago, howard ashoul said:

Yes, I can imagine some of them are "scared shittles".

These are not dogs they are wild animals that run in packs.  You are entering there territory and are a threat !!.   The leader will always come out to confront you so time to be the bigger badder dog the rest of the pack will stay behind the leader.  I have snapped two umbrellas and now I carry a steal Kane. 

Don’t try to run

“The trees in Siberia are miles apart, which is why dogs are so fast.” Bob Hope Stand still. Hold your arms in front of you, clasp your hands together, and don’t move. Your goal is to eliminate a perceived threat or remove an opportunity to attack. If you run, there is a high probability that the dog will chase and attack you. If you stand still, he will most likely sniff you, and go on his way. Keep your eyes focused downward and watch the stray with your peripheral vision. Don’t stare at the dog. He could interpret this as a threat. Let the dog sniff you if he wants, but do not stick your hand out as this can be interpreted as a threat. When the dog leaves, do not turn your back on the dog. Back away slowly, so you can keep an eye on the dog. If you have been knocked down by a dog-don’t try to get up and run. Roll into a ball."
 WHY should i have to do all that to walk down the street . This is crazy . Should have the same rights as the dog . If he wants to attack me i should be able to attack him but of course withe the dog lovers i am not allowed . I am more scared of the owners than the dogs as everytime i get attacked by a dog i do not back down , have killed a few  and kicked a lot but everytime its the owner who threatens violence against me which is why the dogs do it .

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

If you never saw it and it never happened to you, then it must not exist.

I also don't understand the fuss about road deaths in Thailand, I never had an accident here nor seen anyone die, so I suppose all the statistics are just made up.

Solid reasoning mate...

As mentioned I walk my dog outside, and soi dogs are territorial. Maybe thats why they attack?

What do you think? How would you solve it? Never go out anymore? Let my dog rot inside? Great dog lover you are...

Maybe you should speak to some Thais before making assumptions. Many have been attacked and been bitten by dogs. My wife included at a young age. Many people visiting our house are terrified of our dog (Labrador which does not bark, does not growl, does not bite) because they have been attacked previously. And not every dog bite results in death, so again flawed reasoning.

You seem to have the answer how to handle aggressive dogs.

Next time you are in Phuket let me know, we can together visit the local dog school here where they train pitbulls for the military.

Maybe you can show how to handle dogs that want to attack you.

I will stay behind the gated area to film it. It will be great fun.

change your pussy dog for a well trained  pitbull 

2 hours ago, chuang said:

Call the dog whisperer.. 

no joking, I have noticed that dogs are very sensitive to human voice ( mine at least )

it doesn't work all the time, but they look at me, surprised, and they get calm;

have a stick, and food; of course, don't run 

never got bitten ; the walker here who is bitten or attacked  everyday has a problem with dogs 

95 % of time, they bark the first time they see you; after, the other times they let you alone : it works for me,  maybe I have a good smell :smile:

34 minutes ago, Aforek said:

no joking, I have noticed that dogs are very sensitive to human voice ( mine at least )

it doesn't work all the time, but they look at me, surprised, and they get calm;

have a stick, and food; of course, don't run 

never got bitten ; the walker here who is bitten or attacked  everyday has a problem with dogs 

95 % of time, they bark the first time they see you; after, the other times they let you alone : it works for me,  maybe I have a good smell :smile:

True !

So ridiculous. People really do not have any psychology. And I do not need food or a stick.

I have been walking everywhere and  every time dogs went barking I just had to show them that I was not scare by them and I talked to them, then they just let me go, even when some always keep barking.

Ridiculous to make a drama for just dogs. Cops can be a lot more dangerous.

5 hours ago, howard ashoul said:

Totally agree. People do not understand that they are the problem, They handle dogs as they handle women, and of course they fail.

3 hours ago, Moti24 said:

"What's wrong with you? In 5 years I was never attacked by a dog. And I never saw anybody get attacked by dog."

You obviously need to get out more and enlighten yourself.  It seems you must be living in the sticks on a secluded chicken farm.  Well, that's your choice, but greatly distanced from the constant threat of soi dogs that attack from behind, attack people on motorcycles, chase cars, and generally are a threat to everybody within spitting distance.

If I were you, I would stay where you are; your tactics won't work everywhere.

I am from Bangkok and you are wrong. Just as most people you do not know how to face this situation.

3 hours ago, bkkgriz said:

That is some excellent anecdotal evidence. You have never been attacked, therefore nobody has ever been attacked. Count yourself lucky and don't judge others who have not had your luck. One day it may be you on the other end of those rabid jaws.

It's not luck, it's called being smart.

While I do not like mistreating animals; ones that attack me deserve no such consideration. I have gotten pretty good at kicking them in the head while riding my Harley and I have a 2 inch wood screw set in the base of my walking stick.

If you injure a soi dog, the owner will immediately appear to make a monetary claim. If a soi dog injures you, NO ONE owns it.

Whenever I have been approached by a nasty dog, I stoop down to pick up an imaginary rock. This always scares dog away.

Thais will throw rocks or stones at them, which ive had to do a couple of times as had about 6 of them around us.

As above the action of bending down triggers a 'Pavlovian response' in the soi dogs

Thais attitude to dogs is changing...I have seen a few locals in Hua hin, attempting to domestic some of the soi dogs by actually taking them as pets and seen them walking them with bits of string as a lead, which is nice.

I used to take a bag of feed on the way upto Khao Hin Lek Fai viewpoint and fed many of them and they are not aggressive when you are without a dog i.e threat to them

2 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Whenever I have been approached by a nasty dog, I stoop down to pick up an imaginary rock. This always scares dog away.

Got the same tip twice from Thai people, and it works. Although it helps also that I walk with my Malinous, he is very protective, and does not allow a dog to come to close to me ;-)

When I'm on foot I usually find that reaching out and inviting a yapping cur to come closer makes them draw back immediately. There is one small terrier type that persists in trying to bite my heels once I start walking off and that one responds to the imaginary stone.

On my bicycle I usually stop and they back off but occasionally one rushes out at the last minute and catches me by surprise. In those instances I surprise myself at how rapidly I can pedal away.

I haven't had to hurt a dog yet but I think it quite likely to happen and if a dog is going to try and take a lump out of me I will aim to hurt it as much as is necessary to repel it.

11 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Totally agree. People do not understand that they are the problem, They handle dogs as they handle women, and of course they fail.

quite an unbelievable post

Archived