Somtam slowly killing many Thais, cancer center says

webfact

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:45 PM, toolpush said:

Not true: My father in law died of liver cancer caused by liver flukes. It is very common in Issarn.

Go here: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-33095945

My wife has lost two brothers by the same cause, both in their early 50s. And both her parents died young. although I do not the specifics. It was before my time here. 

Coupled to the threat of liver fluke is the notion, held by many Thais in the rural areas, especially Issan, that a couple of glasses of Lao Khao with their Somtam  will neutralise the adverse affect. The Thai equivalent of curing syphilis with mercury!

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/10/2018 at 2:38 AM, Number 6 said:

This is a horribly

I can and do eat Thai chilli's all the time. No idea what the drama is here. Straight up raw as well, with cabbage, ginger and issan sausage.

Horribly written article.

Chillis are great and the uber fibre help with digestion.  The posters complaining about it are usually the lightweight ones who can't eat it, so invent all kinds of excuses and stories to cover up for their shame.

• 4 weeks later...

Just ate Som Tam 2 days ago not spicy - in a small makeshift Restaurant next to the car wash in Sawang Den Ding - Sakhon Nakhon as my usually ordered grilled chicken there, had been not more available - was good but I am sick in stomach and have Montezumas - sickness since then and still!  

Never again! If again then in a Restaurant with some or at least 1 *

???

Archived