Somtam slowly killing many Thais, cancer center says

webfact

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

If you check back some of my posts you will note I'm growing Ghost Chillis at the moment. Just waiting for the first flowers and hopefully a few initial peppers.

Not for me by the way, some friends want to try them.

???

Will have to respectfully decline your invite to carry out a forensic examination of your past posts, as I am busy eating some bird chillies with shrimp paste......looking forward to tomorrow morning!

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, nursebobrmn said:

i tried to edumacate my wife of the perils of raw fish in somtam, it fell on deaf ears. maybe she will die of the big C before i do.

Sad thought. Truth be told, there are so many types of cancer, some causes known and some not, it almost seems futile to worry about one particular type. My father had two different types in his later years, skin and salivary gland, as did my mother, breast and lung. My brother had prostate cancer, and I had melanoma. So, between the 3 of us we had six different kinds. I think it's a near certainty that a person in today's world will eventually develop some form of cancer if he/she survives all else. I wish you both a long happy life. My last few decades will be spent in Thailand, happy, cancer or not

17 hours ago, overherebc said:

Never been a fan of thai food myself and never understood the reasoning behind eating food that has so much chilli in it. 

It always strikes me as strange that food should bring on a sweating session, red face and a need to drink litres of water to kill/cool off the burn. More like a competition than enjoyment. Locally I sometimes have TomYam Kung and ask them to bring the chilli in another side dish. Usually they bring 15 or so chillies in the dish for one bowl of soup.

Someone at the table will be happy to have them and add to their own bowl then sit there gasping, sweating and saying Aroi Aroi.

No way can that be good for your stomach lining or intestines over a lifetime.

It's not ordinary, real heat.  You can freeze hot peppers and hot sauce and it will still taste "hot".  Don't worry... it's not going to "burn" holes in you stomach or intestines or burn the skin from your mouth. 

And actually. over time.. you develop a "tolerance" for the heat... and you need more... or stronger peppers. It kicks in your endorphins and you actually feel good from eating them.. almost like an addiction....(Some people become "addicted" to the pain of hot peppers/sauce...some people become "addicted" to the pain of getting tattoos or piercings)

I'm a westerner...Canadian.... but I've got so used to hot peppers/hot sauce that food without some actually seems boring and bland.  I like at at least a bit of hot pepper "heat".  I'm also addicted to the pain of Khem Sak tattooing...  

17 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"While he noted that causes of cancer vary, Thais’ love of “pla ra” or raw fish used in somtam, as well as other undercooked foods are responsible for increased rates of worm infections, which can lead to liver cancer."

At best, he is illustrating an association, but not a cause and effect scenario.  Considering all the other unhealthy habits and environmental conditions associated with Thai lifestyle (High sodium and Sugar intake, High consumption of reused oil, use of agricultural sprays which have been banned in western nations, tobacco use, lack of adequate exercise, etc.) I find it unrealistic to blame one isolated micro factor. Perhaps further scientific research might isolate the main causes. However, I doubt many can effectively argue that an immediate reduction in the consumption of of the foods containing the elements mentioned above, better regulation of agricultural products, more exercise, etc. would not benefit many Thais. Sometimes common sense is the first step, especially when there are minimal negative side effects associated with those changes in lifestyle. 

Weather worms are a leading cause is debatable but many parasites have a strong correlation with liver cancer.

18 hours ago, overherebc said:

Never been a fan of thai food myself and never understood the reasoning behind eating food that has so much chilli in it. 

It always strikes me as strange that food should bring on a sweating session, red face and a need to drink litres of water to kill/cool off the burn. More like a competition than enjoyment. Locally I sometimes have TomYam Kung and ask them to bring the chilli in another side dish. Usually they bring 15 or so chillies in the dish for one bowl of soup.

Someone at the table will be happy to have them and add to their own bowl then sit there gasping, sweating and saying Aroi Aroi.

The active ingredient in all hot peppers is capsaicin....it has been thoroughly tested over many years and studies; it has never been indicated as a trigger for cancers, especially of the digestive system. In fact, it has positive health benefits and "sweating" is one of them.  Sweating is one of the human body's ways of cooling and ridding the body of toxins and salts.  On a scale of 1 to 10, refined sugar is much more toxic over a "lifetime" than chiles.  

18 hours ago, overherebc said:

Uhuh water would only make the condition worse,  that's probably why you don't understand.  I think you spend too much time with masochists. Most folks I know enjoy their peppers responsibly.

6 minutes ago, NotThatGuy said:

Uhuh water would only make the condition worse,  that's probably why you don't understand.  I think you spend too much time with masochists. Most folks I know enjoy their peppers responsibly.

Yeah.... milk is much better than water. If you want to see someone continue to suffer... offer them a glass of ice water.. couple seconds of relief...then it burns as bad or even worse as ever.   They don't know the secret..  The water just spreads it around. 

From another site:   

"Without getting too into the chemistry, capsaicin has a long hydrocarbon tail, meaning it binds strongly with lipoprotein receptors on the tongue. 

Capsaicin doesn’t dissolve in water, so water won’t help much, but it does dissolve in alcohol and vegetable oils. Beer is not very alcoholic, so it won’t do much. Stronger drinks may help more, but there’s a limit to how much alcohol you can have.

The traditional cure is mammal’s milk. Milk contains casein, a fat-loving substance that essentially has a detergent effect on the capsaicin, just like soap has on grease. But it has to be mammal’s milk – coconut milk does not contain casein."

Enjoy "The Burn".   55555555 

10 hours ago, AlfonsV said:

Both chili and raw papaya are wellknown remedies for intestinal parasites. I like chilis a lot and eat it daily 1 up to 3 times, fresh or as powder. In addition, some chilis have more vitamin C than lemons.

For my part, I do not understand why farang are living here and do not like thai food but eat american white toast bread, western saussages, imported marmelade, english cheese etc

And for my part, I do not understand why Thais who come to live/study in Oz do not eat Vegemite or have beetroot in their salad.

I remember buying  can of tuna, some lovely beefsteak tomatoes, some onions, capsicums etc and planning a nice salad for dinner. Oh no, said the wife, I'll make you a nice Thai salad. By the time she had finished mixing the ingredients [with the chillies, of course] together, it was so hot I couldn't taste a bloody thing. Never again.

Everyone to their own, I guess.

10 hours ago, AlfonsV said:

How long msg is in use? The famous traditional french or italian cuisine did not need it during centuries. 

Wasn't it known in some places as Chinese taste powder? Don't know if that's because it came from China or because a lot was used to inject 'taste' into otherwise bland vegetable dishes.

18 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

vile stuff….much prefer thai mango salad.

Exactly. The fruit itself is more savory and do not need bad smelling fish to give "aroma". In addition it is softer and therefore easier to chew.

35 minutes ago, newatthis said:

And for my part, I do not understand why Thais who come to live/study in Oz do not eat Vegemite or have beetroot in their salad.

I remember buying  can of tuna, some lovely beefsteak tomatoes, some onions, capsicums etc and planning a nice salad for dinner. Oh no, said the wife, I'll make you a nice Thai salad. By the time she had finished mixing the ingredients [with the chillies, of course] together, it was so hot I couldn't taste a bloody thing. Never again.

Everyone to their own, I guess.

Yes should be compulsory for expats who come to Thailand to add chilli and raw fish to every dish, so some have posted.

Trying to get my head around the posts made on the lines of 'if you don't like chilli and raw fish what are you doing living in Thailand?'

As you say why should Thais not go on a vegemite and Kangaroo steak diet when they arrive in Oz.

??

On 2017/5/4 at 10:22 PM, ezzra said:

This doctor should really look at the big picture, what kill Thai people

now more than ever is the rich processed westernized food diet

they never partake  back in the old days in the villages and rural life....

Yes you are very observant. The processed westernized food have all the chemicals that probably kill them in the long run. Thais don't understand that they don't drop death soon after eating these processed foods, it takes years & years for the poisons to accumulate and cause all kinds of illness. Their simple minds cannot associate how preservatives use in the processed foods cause damage to their body. As well as the amount of sugar content.

If you look at the amount of color they use on the foods it amazes me how they would dare to eat that.

Now the real problems are alternatives for these snacks they are buying. If you make healthy snacks it means eating snacks that have less salt & sugar, no color to make them appealing, short shelf lives, the sales figure will drop. It doesn't works in favor of food industries. The food industries will say that you are asking them to commit suicide.

These problems will be solve if the level of education reach a certain high level, the government way less corrupted, a strong NGO willing to do all it can to improve the situation.

The most important thing is to educate the kids in kindergarten to eat healthy plain tasting foods, I know a country in Europe is doing just that.

20 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Well sweating is body's way of cooling down, and remember that most Thai people don't naturally sweat as much as us Farangs.
So there is a certain logo as to why hot countries such as Thailand have a spicy cuisine.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Being that chillis are not indigenous to Thailand, I thought they were adopted to preserve the food in the hot weather.

5 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Being that chillis are not indigenous to Thailand, I thought they were adopted to preserve the food in the hot weather.

More likely replacing the pepper used previously just a lot hotter and as they cover any bad taste even more than pepper and ginger. Once the raw fish/crab etc has been in 30 degrees plus for a few hours for sure any bugs in it will have multiplied a few million times and chilli in quantity will cover the 'gone off' taste.

Why do people call them 'birds eye' chilli when the translation is 'mouse/rat sh-t chilli?'

When living in Chiang Mai, there was a street food I used to eat from time to time. I think it was called something like Khao Nam Sen. 

With little square chunks of coagulated blood in the veggies and liquid.  Chicken or Pork blood... not sure.  I always used to wonder if eating that could be not very healthy....  

21 hours ago, overherebc said:

Hot chili's in moderation are actually good for your health as are other spicy foods.

25 minutes ago, Catoni said:

When living in Chiang Mai, there was a street food I used to eat from time to time. I think it was called something like Khao Nam Sen. 

With little square chunks of coagulated blood in the veggies and liquid.  Chicken or Pork blood... not sure.  I always used to wonder if eating that could be not very healthy....  

I've had girl friends that recommended congealed blood in soup as a way to get energy. Adds iron I guess.

Just now, elgenon said:

I've had girl friends that recommended congealed blood in soup as a way to get energy. Adds iron I guess.

I have seen that, never eaten it though. I do like black pudding with my bacon and eggs and that is congealed pigs blood and intestines.

1 hour ago, AlfonsV said:

Brain surgery and care handicaped guys as well!

True enough, though,

Is there a lot of brain surgery here?

The way those with physical disabilities are treated here,  (not very well/it's the families responsibility) keeps costs low...for the govt anyway. 

3 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Black/white pudding is basically that isn't it. 

Ate it a lot as a kid. 

I don't mind Thai food (although somtam does have an overheating affect on me) PROVIDING any meat/fish is cooked properly (cooked thru - no raw)!

I am not afraid of death just the manner of dying!

5 minutes ago, Black arab said:

My wife just laughed at me when i mentioned this news article, and referring to an above post i have seen locals here adding pig bile to their lao khao .....ugh!

Have you ever tried Bird's Nest Soup?   Yum...... but a bit pricy...   Not everyone's cup of soup...  555555

Archived