Somtam slowly killing many Thais, cancer center says

webfact

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

I used to work with some Yugoslavs who had it on their sandwiches uncooked lol. 

Pretty sure it's been boiled as part of the making of it but still prefer it crispy.

Couldn't handle it in a sandwich like that.??

I would say the same caution to eating all forms of raw sea-water fishes even salmon. Singapore had an outbreak of Stretococcus infection last year with 2 fatalities. 

Fresh water fish is much worse.

Most edible raw fish has been frozen and so is perfectly safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Black arab said:

My wife just laughed at me when i mentioned this news article, and referring to an above post i have seen locals here adding pig bile to their lao khao .....ugh!

Yes thats true. They laugh until it happens to them.

Had an ex diagnosed with a liver condition. Docs told her absolutely take no more meds, alcohol or those stupid potions they believe cures all.

Two weeks later villagers tell her to take some red liquid concoction and she believes them.
Once again i explain about liver function,same as what doc said, about why hers is damaged from proccessing all this crap she took all her life and how it cannot proccess this stuff.

This is a big part of the problem. What can you do when they believe superstition and village idiots before science or anyone with common sense.

Sorry to say, but maybe the poster suggesting this is the gene pool correcting itself is not far off the mark

On 2017-5-5 at 0:05 PM, overherebc said:

Never been a fan of thai food myself and never understood the reasoning behind eating food that has so much chilli in it. 

It always strikes me as strange that food should bring on a sweating session, red face and a need to drink litres of water to kill/cool off the burn. More like a competition than enjoyment. Locally I sometimes have TomYam Kung and ask them to bring the chilli in another side dish. Usually they bring 15 or so chillies in the dish for one bowl of soup.

Someone at the table will be happy to have them and add to their own bowl then sit there gasping, sweating and saying Aroi Aroi.

No way can that be good for your stomach lining or intestines over a lifetime.

Just an update. Having my usual Tom Yam Kung with one mouse sh-t chilli.

Att is the bowl of chillis they usually put in it to make spicy nid noi.

??

20170506_165318.jpg

On ‎2017‎年‎5‎月‎5‎日 at 1:22 PM, ezzra said:

This doctor should really look at the big picture, what kill Thai people

now more than ever is the rich processed westernized food diet

they never partake  back in the old days in the villages and rural life....

Yeah back in the good old days no-one died of anything!

3 hours ago, bamukloy said:

Yes thats true. They laugh until it happens to them.

Had an ex diagnosed with a liver condition. Docs told her absolutely take no more meds, alcohol or those stupid potions they believe cures all.

Two weeks later villagers tell her to take some red liquid concoction and she believes them.
Once again i explain about liver function,same as what doc said, about why hers is damaged from proccessing all this crap she took all her life and how it cannot proccess this stuff.

This is a big part of the problem. What can you do when they believe superstition and village idiots before science or anyone with common sense.

Sorry to say, but maybe the poster suggesting this is the gene pool correcting itself is not far off the mark

I dated a Thai nurse who worked at Siriraj. I told her about this after she ordered some SomTam with PlaRa. She laughed it off and said her system could handle it because she was from Issan ! This is someone with a Masters Degree too. They are stuck in their habits and will never change.

Strange that nobody has mentioned Haggis. I love it but probably the reason is that it's two more months until they are old enough to shoot. Grouse open is August and usually it's two months after Haggis open so that would make it 2nd week in June.

Can't wait.

And here I was chalking it up to very polluted air from primarily unregulated vehicle emissions and the endless burning of trash so toxic it's giving their posterity terminal health problems ( no matter how much you try to edumacate their tarded asses about the health risks to their kids) in addition to themselves and others (us foreigners) with my unedumacated ass ?????

2 hours ago, tonray said:

I dated a Thai nurse who worked at Siriraj. I told her about this after she ordered some SomTam with PlaRa. She laughed it off and said her system could handle it because she was from Issan ! This is someone with a Masters Degree too. They are stuck in their habits and will never change.

All depends where she bought her degree. My Thai ex's degree cost me 60,000 baht.

My wife has chronic abdominal pain variously diagnosed as IBS - Kidney stones - Gall stones.  I've told her to stop eating som-tam but she is addicted; even if it means sleeping on the floor in the spare room as the fumes wake me up choking in the night.

my guess is that in years to come, we will learn that a lot of our current foods, with non-disclosed chemicals in it, are killing us; future generations will be amazed we voluntarily poisoned ourselves with our current food

8 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

my guess is that in years to come, we will learn that a lot of our current foods, with non-disclosed chemicals in it, are killing us; future generations will be amazed we voluntarily poisoned ourselves with our current food

?

Reminds me of the scene in 'Sleeper' where they give Woody cigarettes and explain they discovered that they help you to live longer.

The chilli is not responsible for cancer , studies shows that chilli protects and heal  . It's the parasites that will give you some nasty diseases,  I never eat raw food here except for some veggies after I wash and clean them. 

3 hours ago, timberpond said:

Most of the Somtam selling at the stalls are using cooked 'pla ra'. 

Are you sure ? Thai told me uncooked. But restaurants selling it cooked.

Chillis, curries all the hot & spicy additives started to be added to disguise the rotten food in the first place.

I am surprised that the worm larvae can survive in a hot Som Tum or Papaya pock pock (sp)

3 monthly deworming a good idea

On 2017/5/4 at 11:36 PM, leeneeds said:

The Nepalese eat mountains of very hot chillies to combat the cold, 

at high altitude, I wonder if a correlation of cancer fatalities has been done,

Japanese also eat mountains of raw fish as do the Russians, 

one would believe  DNA has a lot to do with certain cancers, 

Blaming a fish meal is a bit of a stretch on the truth.

now i lost track of what we talking about here, it's tom tam the salad with little black raw crabs(that had been crawling around the muddy river bank contaminated by sewage, - you doubt that?- sewage i mean, yes, lot of them in the river in Thailand).

You get hepatitis A & C from these little crabs for a start. I don't know about cancer from this salad.  I am not surprised if Cancer kills a lot of Thais in Thailand because they are eating a lot of highly processed foods and the "Nam Pla" the famous fish sauce they use in the famous thai fried rice called, "Kow Phad".. Yes, of course they taste good ,very good actually but look at the chemical they put in that sauce and the fermentation process. And when the sauce come in contact with the high heat of the frying wok the molecular structure of the sauce changed, they became carcinogenic. I avoid eating the sauce whenever possible. The young waitress said to me, "Nam Pla aroi muk tam mai mai ao"(fish sauce is delicious why you don't want). she is trying to kill me you see.

In Thailand I was like Greek Odyssey Ulysses during his voyage meeting many dangers, I have to navigate very carefully to avoid HIV, Hepatitis(from salad mainly) Fish sauce, Thai snacks, like prawn crackers, all the brightly color sweets wrap in banana leaves, and of course avoid those transvestite and trans -genders.

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

Chillis, curries all the hot & spicy additives started to be added to disguise the rotten food in the first place.

I am surprised that the worm larvae can survive in a hot Som Tum or Papaya pock pock (sp)

For bacteria.... not sure about parasites like worms.....   Garlic, onion, allspice and oregano, for example, were found to be the best all-around bacteria killers (they kill everything), followed by thyme, cinnamon, tarragon and cumin (any of which kill up to 80 percent of bacteria). Capsicums, including chilies and other hot peppers, are in the middle of the antimicrobial pack (killing or inhibiting up to 75 percent of bacteria), while pepper of the white or black variety inhibits 25 percent of bacteria, as do ginger, anise seed, celery seed and the juices of lemons and limes.

Perhaps if the worms are only in the stomach and intestinal tract,,,,  the chemicals in hot peppers might do a lot of good and help expel them out your rear...    But if the worms have spread to other organs of the body....  you might be out of luck.  I doubt hot peppers are going to help you at that point.

8 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Even if it would kill you instantly Thais would still add that sewage plaraa to their somtam. Must be a genetic defect.

No racism to see here, move along.

7 hours ago, natway09 said:

Liver flukes are not intestinal worms, but tiny trematodes that colonize the human bile duct and cause deadly cancers of the liver. Deworming does absolutely nothing to them. Their eggs survive in pla raa made from fermented freshwater fish and are not affected by spices, chillies, etc.  The only way to kill them is by heat treatment (pasteurization) of the pla raa.

On 2017-05-07 at 3:07 AM, natway09 said:

Total drama queen!

On 5/7/2017 at 5:52 PM, Catoni said:

For bacteria.... not sure about parasites like worms.....   Garlic, onion, allspice and oregano, for example, were found to be the best all-around bacteria killers (they kill everything), followed by thyme, cinnamon, tarragon and cumin (any of which kill up to 80 percent of bacteria). Capsicums, including chilies and other hot peppers, are in the middle of the antimicrobial pack (killing or inhibiting up to 75 percent of bacteria), while pepper of the white or black variety inhibits 25 percent of bacteria, as do ginger, anise seed, celery seed and the juices of lemons and limes.

Perhaps if the worms are only in the stomach and intestinal tract,,,,  the chemicals in hot peppers might do a lot of good and help expel them out your rear...    But if the worms have spread to other organs of the body....  you might be out of luck.  I doubt hot peppers are going to help you at that point.

Killing all bacteria? Good and bad? Seems a bit stupid to me. Why kill good bacteria (e.g. Lactobacillus)?  Or are these "spices" selective?

Archived