Somtam slowly killing many Thais, cancer center says

webfact

On 5/7/2017 at 1:29 PM, abab said:

Are you sure ? Thai told me uncooked. But restaurants selling it cooked.

Yes, the uncooked part is the little crab in the somtam. Usually it's for the flavor and not eaten.  

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Killing all bacteria? Good and bad? Seems a bit stupid to me. Why kill good bacteria (e.g. Lactobacillus)?  Or are these "spices" selective?

There are common antibiotics that kill pretty well all bacteria in your gut when you take them.  What we were told to do in the old days was to eat stuff like yogurt to help replace the lost good bacteria.  Your system gradually replaces the good intestinal bacteria in any case. 

this is a Thai hoax...... 

I've eaten somtam at least 20 times..... and I have never gotten cancer yet.
not even once.

97% of scientists agree that somtam does not cause cancer. 

how could something that is man made.... or woman made... cause cancer???? it can't. 

2 hours ago, maewang99 said:

this is a Thai hoax...... 

I've eaten somtam at least 20 times..... and I have never gotten cancer yet.
not even once.

97% of scientists agree that somtam does not cause cancer. 

how could something that is man made.... or woman made... cause cancer???? it can't. 

93.45875246899 % of statistics are made up on the spot.

If it is true about somtam, then it is only going to affect those who eat it, but anyone smoking fags can cause harm and discomfort to people sitting near them if inside anywhere.

Discomfort maybe but harm no. According to Sir Richard Doll, the man credited with making the link between smoking and cancer, the risk from secondary smoking is so small it's not worth considering.

8 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Discomfort maybe but harm no. According to Sir Richard Doll, the man credited with making the link between smoking and cancer, the risk from secondary smoking is so small it's not worth considering.

It is not just the risk to your health, but who wants fag smoke smelling all over their hair and clothes?

Also, it would put normal people off their food. No one, but no one will light up when I am eating, if they

do, I will ask them to put it out, if they don't, I will tell them I am very good at picking my nose. I found

this very effective back in the UK.

On 5/5/2560 at 0:06 PM, jaltsc said:

"While he noted that causes of cancer vary, Thais’ love of “pla ra” or raw fish used in somtam, as well as other undercooked foods are responsible for increased rates of worm infections, which can lead to liver cancer."

At best, he is illustrating an association, but not a cause and effect scenario.  Considering all the other unhealthy habits and environmental conditions associated with Thai lifestyle (High sodium and Sugar intake, High consumption of reused oil, use of agricultural sprays which have been banned in western nations, tobacco use, lack of adequate exercise, etc.) I find it unrealistic to blame one isolated micro factor. Perhaps further scientific research might isolate the main causes. However, I doubt many can effectively argue that an immediate reduction in the consumption of of the foods containing the elements mentioned above, better regulation of agricultural products, more exercise, etc. would not benefit many Thais. Sometimes common sense is the first step, especially when there are minimal negative side effects associated with those changes in lifestyle. 

While "pla ra" and "nam poo" are among the most inedible Thai foods, which on the whole is pretty good if home cooked, have you ever tried to convince a Thai that Vegemite or Marmite are good healthy foods or that "blue vein cheese" is proper food?? :smile::wai:

• 8 months later...
On 5/5/2017 at 12:05 PM, overherebc said:

Never been a fan of thai food myself and never understood the reasoning behind eating food that has so much chilli in it. 

It always strikes me as strange that food should bring on a sweating session, red face and a need to drink litres of water to kill/cool off the burn. More like a competition than enjoyment. Locally I sometimes have TomYam Kung and ask them to bring the chilli in another side dish. Usually they bring 15 or so chillies in the dish for one bowl of soup.

Someone at the table will be happy to have them and add to their own bowl then sit there gasping, sweating and saying Aroi Aroi.

No way can that be good for your stomach lining or intestines over a lifetime.

The same could be said about Western people eating mold and unpasteurized milk products in cheese.  These things make Western folks sweat stink to Thai people and many Asian people find it offensive.  

People who have little understanding of Thai food I find also have little understanding of Thai culture and are rarely well traveled and/or educated. 

On 5/17/2017 at 5:04 PM, possum1931 said:

It is not just the risk to your health, but who wants fag smoke smelling all over their hair and clothes?

Also, it would put normal people off their food. No one, but no one will light up when I am eating, if they

do, I will ask them to put it out, if they don't, I will tell them I am very good at picking my nose. I found

this very effective back in the UK.

As picking your nose is acceptable in Thailand your point looses 100% of it's validity in Thailand. 

11 minutes ago, xyznot said:

The same could be said about Western people eating mold and unpasteurized milk products in cheese.  These things make Western folks sweat stink to Thai people and many Asian people find it offensive.  

People who have little understanding of Thai food I find also have little understanding of Thai culture and are rarely well traveled and/or educated. 

So everyone in the world who doesn't like chilli can't understand Thai culture, is not educated and has never been outside their country. 

I don't like vinegar, mustard or tomato ketchup and I don't speak Thai, very well, so glad you pointed that out to me and others like me so we now know our place way down low in the world, sorry, your VIP world.

10 minutes ago, overherebc said:

So everyone in the world who doesn't like chilli can't understand Thai culture, is not educated and has never been outside their country. 

I don't like vinegar, mustard or tomato ketchup and I don't speak Thai, very well, so glad you pointed that out to me and others like me so we now know our place way down low in the world, sorry, your VIP world.

Not at all.  If you said you don't like chill but can understand it's place in Thai culture I would not have commented.  

However this is what you said, "Never been a fan of thai food myself and never understood the reasoning behind eating food that has so much chilli in it. 

It always strikes me as strange that food should bring on a sweating session, red face and a need to drink litres of water to kill/cool off the burn. More like a competition than enjoyment."

And that deserves a comment. Especially since all Thai food is not hot and loaded with chilies.  It just means that you have a limited understanding of Thai cuisine. 

15 minutes ago, xyznot said:

Not at all.  If you said you don't like chill but can understand it's place in Thai culture I would not have commented.  

However this is what you said, "Never been a fan of thai food myself and never understood the reasoning behind eating food that has so much chilli in it. 

It always strikes me as strange that food should bring on a sweating session, red face and a need to drink litres of water to kill/cool off the burn. More like a competition than enjoyment."

And that deserves a comment. Especially since all Thai food is not hot and loaded with chilies.  It just means that you have a limited understanding of Thai cuisine. 

I don't like 90% of Thai food, that's me. I don't find a lot of the dishes attractive looking, that's a personal thing.I like Tom Yam Kung with a very little bit of chilli. I don't like African bush food either, biltong is ok though.

Just don't go around calling people uneducated and not well travelled because they don't like to eat what you like eating.

Even a five star chef wouldn't do that.

On 2017-05-05 at 12:05 PM, overherebc said:

Never been a fan of thai food myself and never understood the reasoning behind eating food that has so much chilli in it. 

It always strikes me as strange that food should bring on a sweating session, red face and a need to drink litres of water to kill/cool off the burn. More like a competition than enjoyment. Locally I sometimes have TomYam Kung and ask them to bring the chilli in another side dish. Usually they bring 15 or so chillies in the dish for one bowl of soup.

Someone at the table will be happy to have them and add to their own bowl then sit there gasping, sweating and saying Aroi Aroi.

No way can that be good for your stomach lining or intestines over a lifetime.

Ah well, you have to be Thai to appreciate Thai food.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

I don't like 90% of Thai food, that's me. I don't find a lot of the dishes attractive looking, that's a personal thing.I like Tom Yam Kung with a very little bit of chilli. I don't like African bush food either, biltong is ok though.

Just don't go around calling people uneducated and not well travelled because they don't like to eat what you like eating.

Even a five star chef wouldn't do that.

You are uneducated and not well traveled about Thai cuisine.   The majority of Thai food does not have chili in it (rice).  Street food?  The majority does not have chili.  Cow men gai, roast chicken, chicken and pork satay.  Jok (โจ๊ก, pronounced joke).  Momma noodles with chili or without.  Millions of pounds consumed per day.  Sorry you just don't know anything about Thai food.  Saying uneducated was as nice a word as I could think of for a person who does not have a clue. 

On 5/5/2017 at 6:06 AM, jaltsc said:

"While he noted that causes of cancer vary, Thais’ love of “pla ra” or raw fish used in somtam, as well as other undercooked foods are responsible for increased rates of worm infections, which can lead to liver cancer."

At best, he is illustrating an association, but not a cause and effect scenario.  Considering all the other unhealthy habits and environmental conditions associated with Thai lifestyle (High sodium and Sugar intake, High consumption of reused oil, use of agricultural sprays which have been banned in western nations, tobacco use, lack of adequate exercise, etc.) I find it unrealistic to blame one isolated micro factor. Perhaps further scientific research might isolate the main causes. However, I doubt many can effectively argue that an immediate reduction in the consumption of of the foods containing the elements mentioned above, better regulation of agricultural products, more exercise, etc. would not benefit many Thais. Sometimes common sense is the first step, especially when there are minimal negative side effects associated with those changes in lifestyle. 

I hear what you are saying and agree with most of it, up to a point, but believe there is good evidence available, from medical studies, that directly links consumption of raw fermented fish with elevated rates of liver cancer. Which explains why Isaan has the highest rates of liver cancer in the world. However, having seen quite a few men, some of them in-laws, die of liver cancer or disease in their 50s and 60s in Isaan, I would also surmise that it is the high rates of lao khao consumption and use of strong, over the counter, anti-parasite drugs used that also contribute to the destruction of their livers, and not just the somtam:wink:

5 minutes ago, plachon said:

I hear what you are saying and agree with most of it, up to a point, but believe there is good evidence available, from medical studies, that directly links consumption of raw fermented fish with elevated rates of liver cancer. Which explains why Isaan has the highest rates of liver cancer in the world. However, having seen quite a few men, some of them in-laws, die of liver cancer or disease in their 50s and 60s in Isaan, I would also surmise that it is the high rates of lao khao consumption and use of strong, over the counter, anti-parasite drugs used that also contribute to the destruction of their livers, and not just the somtam:wink:

Mebendazole is dangerous? 

1 hour ago, xyznot said:

Mebendazole is dangerous? 

If used repeatedly and in heavy doses on an already alcohol and fluke damaged liver, then I don't think it is going to do your liver any favours. Whether it is directly the cause of cancer, I have no idea, but I think it is a complex of factors that is adding to the high rates of liver cancer, not a single isolated cause, like the original article suggests. So pla ra + lao khao + mebendazole (or other similar anti-parasite drug) = raised risk of liver cancer, seems a more likely scenario to me.  

3 hours ago, xyznot said:

You are uneducated and not well traveled about Thai cuisine.   The majority of Thai food does not have chili in it (rice).  Street food?  The majority does not have chili.  Cow men gai, roast chicken, chicken and pork satay.  Jok (โจ๊ก, pronounced joke).  Momma noodles with chili or without.  Millions of pounds consumed per day.  Sorry you just don't know anything about Thai food.  Saying uneducated was as nice a word as I could think of for a person who does not have a clue. 

I have no interest in Thai food. I don't like the look, texture and taste of most of it. Why would I want to educate myself about it.

I love food with a lot of Kampot pepper which makes it spicy and a bit hot but has a flavour I like. Let's face it, Chilli ( gave it an upper case C for you ?) replaced pepper in the East when chilli arrived from the Indies, near USA by the way, it was just a spicier way of making mostly bland food have taste, eg the basic chicken and weeds. The vast majority of Thai restaurants you seem to love make Thai food and a lot of it is 'westernised' same as a lot of Indian food. I do like that, and not all of it is blistering spicy. One of the best Vindaloo dishes I've had was in India and it was really good and didn't burn the mouth off you. As a self proclaimed food expert you'll know that though, not all Indian food has chilli or masses of pepper obviously, quite a lot has none at all, but is for me really good.

You can rabbit on about street food in Thailand and lots of people do but picture the large quantities of doggie doo-doo that dry up and get blown around as doo-doo dust with all the other stuff in large cities here. Mind you, cover it in chilli and you won't notice it.

Pretty obvious you're a troll, but who cares.

On 5/5/2017 at 1:01 PM, overherebc said:

Not a ' my black cat ' story but I know a Kiwi 'hero' who did similar here and ended up in Bumrungrad for a night. Eating raw chillies and calling everyone else wimps.

Very quiet about it afterwards.

I have met a few older Thai people in the north east who were always complaining of stomach and gut problems after what I call years of chilli abuse.

It really can't be good for you.

Chilli has only been here for a couple of hundred years I think

, ( anyone know the dates) brought originally from West Indies and replaced pepper which I like, especially Kampot pepper.

Thanks never heard of Kampot pepper before.

I'll keep my eyes open for it when I go to the market.

https://kampotpepperdirect.com

23 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Thanks never heard of Kampot pepper before.

I'll keep my eyes open for it when I go to the market.

https://kampotpepperdirect.com

From what I've read the whole Kampot pepper industry was destroyed on the orders of Pol Pot as it was run by the French.

A few years ago a French guy found a few surviving pepper plants/trees? and started farming it with his wife. It's got a really nice flavour and scent when cooking with it.

I found it on a break there and brought some back but it's nearly gone so might do a border/visa run to try and get more.

PS 

If you find it PM me before you put it on TV then I can buy before it all goes. ???

Archived