Help Please..Proof of Onward Travel Before Allowed On Plane ?

Hello everyone.   I'm flying, one way,  out of Toronto, Canada on the 22 of May on China Eastern flight to Siem Reap, Cambodia with a layover in Shanghai, China.  I've heard stories about people going places in the world being asked for proof of onward travel.

My intention is to pay the extra $5 or $10 cost over the 30 day Tourist Visa...in order to get the 30 day Ordinary Cambodian Visa, and then get extensions in Cambodia.   

But there are stories of airlines wanting to see proof of onward travel when they see your ticket is one way.....not return. Other people say... no... you just need your boarding pass/ticket, and your valid passport and you're good.  

I just don't want to get to the airport and then be refused boarding ...in either Toronto, or for onward flight from Shanghai to Siem Reap...because I have no proof of onward travel out of Cambodia.

I hope some folks here might have the facts, or help me out with some good advice....  

Thanks everyone... and have safe travels..        Rob...

It's 100% up to the check-in agent at your origin airport, as far as I can tell from my experience...so nobody here will be able to give you a definitive answer (though some may claim to anyway).  

In the past, I have been questioned when traveling to Thailand (never Cambodia) one-way without a visa, but I was always able to charm my way out of it.  Other times, they didn't even bat an eyelash.  Not everyone has always been so lucky, though.  One thing I can tell you with a fair amount of confidence: if you are refused boarding, it will almost certainly happen at your origin airport, and not at your transfer airport.

I have a simple solution for you, though: get a Cambodian e-visa before you leave.  It costs a little more than visa on arrival, but it will give you peace of mind.  And it also won't use up a page in your passport.

You may be asked to show an onward or return ticket before boarding, this is the airlines policy as it doesn't want to be held accountable for your return.

As you are traveling without a visa,  this will be a red flag,  which will likely initiate the next question of ' where is your return ticket '

Thank you both.......  I tried  www.evisa.gov.kh.

But the website is down.  I tried two different computers and four different web bowzers......  no luck with the official Cambodian Government E-Visa web site.

There are a couple of non-Gov websites that apparently offer legitimate, good service for the Cambodian E-Visa.... However at about twice the cost.....

I hope if I get that visa.... that I can change it in Cambodia to an ordinary Visa... or just purchase an ordinary Visa and then extend it for a year at a time.

Not sure what I should do at this point...

Thank you everyone for your help.....  it's much appreciated....      Please have safe travels...  

On 5/5/2017 at 9:51 PM, lopburi3 said:

You require an E visa prior to travel according to what I see on IATA.

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

On 5/5/2017 at 8:23 PM, Chou Anou said:

It's 100% up to the check-in agent at your origin airport, as far as I can tell from my experience...so nobody here will be able to give you a definitive answer (though some may claim to anyway).  

In the past, I have been questioned when traveling to Thailand (never Cambodia) one-way without a visa, but I was always able to charm my way out of it.  Other times, they didn't even bat an eyelash.  Not everyone has always been so lucky, though.  One thing I can tell you with a fair amount of confidence: if you are refused boarding, it will almost certainly happen at your origin airport, and not at your transfer airport.

I have a simple solution for you, though: get a Cambodian e-visa before you leave.  It costs a little more than visa on arrival, but it will give you peace of mind.  And it also won't use up a page in your passport.

www.visa.gov.kh is down.  Site under maintenance. They say they should be back up online soon.  In the meantime... no online Cambodian E Visa unless I try one of the possible scam sites..

In the meantime, I will be leaving Canada in about two weeks, May 22,  on a China Eastern flight with layover in Shangai, then another China Eastern to Siem Reap.   

So what I've done is  I've booked onward flight from Siem Reap to Bangkok ...flying out of Siem Reap..June 15.  

I hope that is enough proof for China Eastern airline that I will be doing onward travel in less than 30 days from arriving in Cambodia.

My plan is to get a Cambodian Ordinary Visa on arrival at Siem Reap. 

Do you think that will be good enough? 

Have never been to Cambodia so not aware of there rules on visas but the IATA site above sends you to below to obtain visa.

https://visacentral.ca/?login=100094&nationality=CAN&state_of_residence=&traveling_to=KHM&traveling_for=T&traveling_to_2=CHN&traveling_for_2=&utm_medium=BN2&&utm_source=CA&utm_campaign=BANNER2

As do not have your details on flights do not know if you need visa for China or not - would suggest you go to the IATA website and input your details and see what results you get.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Have never been to Cambodia so not aware of there rules on visas but the IATA site above sends you to below to obtain visa.

https://visacentral.ca/?login=100094&nationality=CAN&state_of_residence=&traveling_to=KHM&traveling_for=T&traveling_to_2=CHN&traveling_for_2=&utm_medium=BN2&&utm_source=CA&utm_campaign=BANNER2

As do not have your details on flights do not know if you need visa for China or not - would suggest you go to the IATA website and input your details and see what results you get.

China allows people from 51 countries, Canada included, to stay up to 72 hours Visa free..not required... if only passing through at the airport in China and flying on to another destination. So I do not need a Visa for China.

Cambodia has Visa on Arrival (Both Tourist and Ordinary) at two airports.  Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.

I'll be leaving Canada May 22.... just a couple of weeks from now.   I bought a flight on Air Asia from Siem Reap to Bangkok for the 15th of June.

So I'm hoping that the combination of valid Passport, plus proof of booked onward flight a couple weeks after arriving in Cambodia..... together with Cambodia offering Visa on Arrival.....  will result in me being allowed on the plane in Toronto. 

If anyone here has further information or suggestions, or encouragement.....I appreciate it... many thanks.

My fingers are crossed.   I'm thinking I may be okay.....   

Like I said, no matter what the requirements of the country are, it's really up to the airline as to whether they let you board or not, since they are the ones who will have to transport you back if you're not let in the country you're traveling to.  In this case, it's pretty much 100% sure that you will be let in to Cambodia (barring a defaced passport, etc.), so as I said, it's up to the airline...and, in my experience, it's really up to the airline employee checking you in.  You could always call the airline with your question if you want more assurance.

Cambodia does not AFAIK  require proof of onward travel to get in, and I have never encountered an airline asking for it on flights to Camb for that reason.  BUT all my experience has been with regional flights were the airline staff are very familiar with Camb visa requirements. From Canada they may not be, so who knows.

Archived