electricity payment leniency period?

riorobc023

I am required to pay my electricity bill by the 18th of every month. Although i won't be coming back to thailand until a week after its due date.

Will they shut me down? and how long is the leniency period until they do so?

thanks everyone

If you are billed directly by PEA then there is certainly some flexibility built into that due date, we've paid a couple of weeks afterwards without any problems. It's maybe worthwhile setting up a direct debit with your bank so the bills get paid automatically, we do that at Kasikorn for all our utility bills every month and it simplifies things greatly.

If you are billed directly by PEA then there is certainly some flexibility built into that due date, we've paid a couple of weeks afterwards without any problems. It's maybe worthwhile setting up a direct debit with your bank so the bills get paid automatically, we do that at Kasikorn for all our utility bills every month and it simplifies things greatly.

I finally convinced my wife to make all our utilities directly paid through our bank the "same same" as we did in the US. This was only achieved due to our 2 month trip to Geneva. Before that, I always got that "no same same as America" comment. Our car payment is still paid at a different bank because it will one day be paid off, and we did not open an account and, we have a 10 day grace period that comes in handy when my monthly money transfer is delayed. We live in a very rural area and people are just so used to hopping on a motorcycle to pay each bill when it comes in. I don't think that my wife still fully understands that you get your bill before it is due, at least most of the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Over here, in Korat, you have 7 days to pay your electricity bill.
After 7 days, a local employee from the PEA will remove your meter and you will need to pay additional for putting the meter back in place.
Better ask a neighbor or someone you can trust to take you electricity bill at the nearest 7/11.

My meter was removed while I was urgently hospitalized.
When I came back home, I could throw my freezer away and nearly 50,000 baht worth of supplies stored in the freezer.
TIT

Dont have that problem we pay the guy who delivers our leccy bill. If we are not in he returns when next passing. If we know we are going to be away at the start of the month when he comes we tell him the month before and give him a couplevof thousand to cover the next bill always but always wevget back whats owed. Exellent system

My bill usually arrives on the 18th, it has to be paid by 27th (if paid at 7/11 etc)  If I forget or am late I can go to the local PEA and pay it for up to about 2 weeks after the 27th, after 2 weeks they will either cut me off and charge 100 Baht to reconnect, or if not cut off, still charge the 100 Baht - That is SW Chiang Mai.

11 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Good suggestion...  when we bought our house it turned out the previous tenants hadn't paid the electricity for 3 months... we had to pay their bill to get it back on again..   a year or so later I forgot to pay it once and it was cut off in short order!... 

Just now, dentonian said:

Yeah, but they don't all bring their Mothers with them Crossy.

Besides, she told him never to trust strangers.

True, actually our OP seems to be on his vacation now (out of Thailand) so this is now more "what will I find when I get home?" which is why I didn't close it as a dupe.

I hope he hasn't got a freezer full.

MEA Bangkok has always given me at least two weeks past the date. One month gone most of the time so bill was under 100 baht. Lost it and thought I'll pay it next month.

On way to airport for last minute work trip and stopped at local 7-11 to pay current month plus prior month 100 baht bill.. got  cashier who for whatever reason wouldn't input the bill id-just wanted to scan it which doesn't work when late. Got several excuses, computer won't take payment when late, Can't pay after 3 PM, can't pay on Sunday, etc. So I went to airport and figured I would pay one day late upon return. Got surprise when I returned home, electricity was turned off after 3 pm on day bill was due-day before. They said I was technically 2 months late-that amount was   under 100 B  for first month did not matter. They told me to pay at 7-11 insist they use id number; if I have problem with the staff call their English line and they will talk to staff.

Had to call customer service once after this incident because of same lazy worker at 7-11. MEA talked to store manager and never had a problem again. I now leave couple thousand baht on account at MEA to cover unexpected trips out of country when bill is due.

I can't pay using the MEA online system. The owner has a current online account listed for the address and it won't let me change the password for the account, so I can't get bill in my name or an online account.

Although it was a few years ago, I normally pay the bill at 7/11 the day I get it.  I believe you get a few days after the slip is put into your mailbox.  In Pattaya, not sure back luck or what, but one time I never got the slip and lost track of time. One morning all of a sudden, all the power went out?  I thought it was the whole area, but checked with the other homes and they all had power. I took the past month slip to the office as reference and they told me I was late on the bill but after talking I was one day past the due date, one day!  No notice nothing, treated me like a criminal, even though I told them wife is on a ventilator, and right now I have her on a backup portable. They didn't care said the best we could do was turn it back on tonight so while I was there paid the bill.

I went back home and just happen my brother came by who was a retired electrical engineer, he walked to the cement pole with a screw driver, unscrew the cover plate and stuck the wire back into connection.  They actually sent a guy out to unplug and plug back in.

Edited by thailand49

For those using 7-11, I've had exactly the same excusplanation before, and my wife phoned the MEB and had the power turned back on - the next day, but for payment then after the weekend.

But I usually pay through the ATM. The amount due is detailed and the cost is the same as 7-11.

My meter reading in usually taken on 25th of the month, and the bill delivered shortly after. The bill comes direct from the PEA. At the bottom of the bill its gives a due by date of the 5th of the next month. You can pay anytime up till midnight on the 5th at any 7-11. They scan it and you get a printed receipt attached to your original bill. Never had any problem at 7-11. My Thai girlfriend told me this is the best way, because if you miss the deadline on the bill you will have to go pay it at the PEA office where there will be big que's of people and you could be waiting all day! She also warned if you miss the due by date they will cut off your electric very fast. So be warned. It may be difficult getting it reconnected and you will have to pay your outstanding bill,  plus a reconnection fee, and it could take time. Not worth the hassle. I used to pay the lady who came round on a motorbike, but then discovered the bill was a different colour which meant she got commision which was added to the bill. Lesson learned. So I cut this out and go direct to 7-11. It's the best way. I always pay on the due by date. at 7-11. they never say you can't pay on a Sunday or before 3pm, that's rubbish. I always pay mine in the evening. About what to do if you are going away, I don't know. I rent my house so I would ask the landlady to pay it until I get back.

Not so easy if you own a house I guess. Hope this is useful to someone.

I don't know the exact leniency period is but let me tell you it is a ballache to travel to the nearest MEA office, queue for bloody ages, ages - i have no idea what they are doing there, hand over 1k+ to someone that doesnt know ka or kup, and then 3hrs later your back on. Never again.

Btw, if your outside the date on the bill you can still pay a 7/11 for 7 days longer for a I think double the service fee.  

seems like there are some different standards as to the practice of the MEA.

For mine, if the bill is not paid within the due date, on the day after, the MEA will send someone to cut off the electricity. Nowadays its much easier to pay with their app online.

hi folks, plenty of great responses here. thanks to everyone

i do indeed have MEA

mea.co.th

my friend has my old electricity bill that he said he would pay as he works at MEA, but he has been hospitalized and i don't think he will be able to help me out anymore. Unfortunate circumstances..This is why i posed the question

i must tell one of my other thai friends to help me out, i will only be gone for a week only from due date until i can pay at a 7/11

i don't think i should chance it, huh?

cheers

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

You got some pretty good responses in your last thread

Hi. When we go back to New Zealand for 2-3 months i go to the elctricity payments   Office and pay an amount to cover. I pay my internet monthly fee for 3 months in advancd. No problems.

6 hours ago, riorobc023 said:

hi folks, plenty of great responses here. thanks to everyone

i do indeed have MEA

mea.co.th

my friend has my old electricity bill that he said he would pay as he works at MEA, but he has been hospitalized and i don't think he will be able to help me out anymore. Unfortunate circumstances..This is why i posed the question

i must tell one of my other thai friends to help me out, i will only be gone for a week only from due date until i can pay at a 7/11

i don't think i should chance it, huh?

cheers

So your MEA so do as suggested and use the app problem solved easy.even if your away in another country. If you have an i phone of course.

Edited by jeab1980

22 hours ago, dotpoom said:

You have 7 days alone to pay it at your local 7 Eleven. After that you can pay at the electricity office. So that should make all ok for you.

You are correct if they electronically read the bar code but you can still pay it after 7 days,  all they have to do is enter the code manually and Bob's your uncle.  Many don't know but if you tell them and insist, politely, you will find the old saying is quite true.  "One can learn something new every day.":wai:

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

So your MEA so do as suggested and use the app problem solved easy.even if your away in another country. If you have an i phone of course.

Can't do that if i haven't registered with MEA app beforehand in thailand. Registration requires my thai telephone number, and from there they will send me a confirmation code, which i cannot receive because i don't have my thai sim card. Alike i cannot access my thai bank online or make transactions because my thai phone is offline..I surely wouldn't register with my USA telephone number ( ha ha ha)

I need to register before i can pay anything, so problem not solved... Am i missing something?