Driver escapes as ethanol tanker explodes on bend in Friendship Highway

rooster59

Driver escapes as ethanol tanker explodes on bend in Friendship Highway

driver.PNG

Image: Daily News

A tanker driver had a remarkable escape after his vehicle carrying ethanol overturned on a bend in the Mitraphap Highway in Si Khiw district.

The 18 wheel tanker with 42,000 liters of ethanol was headed to Saraburi from Chaiyaphum with Jakraphop Thamronglak at the wheel.

He lost control on a bend in the Bangkok bound lane.

Firemen quickly on the scene Saturday managed to extricate him from his burning cab before two explosions rocked the area.

The force of the explosions caused electric power cables to snap and EGAT needed to cut off power to the area before fireman were able to douse the flames.

Jakraphop was taken to Si Khiw hospital with many burns.

An investigation is underway to ascertain the cause of the accident. No other vehicles were involved.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-07

Unlucky chap.
Looks to me like the brakes and steering failed at the same time.
How unlucky can you get - I mean what are the odds on that happening, especially when you are carting 42000 liters of ethanol down a winding road...

I'm jumping on the band wagon by saying, "was the driver under the influence from something he should not have been? "

It's sad that I should consider that opinion but all too many road incidents reported within Thailand , it seems , are from either stupidity, poor maintainable or drivers under the influence?

It could have many factors? BUT!

"investigation is underway to ascertain the cause of the accident. No other vehicles were involved."

You cannot drive a tanker like its a F1 car,too fast into the bend,lucky he was not burned to death

for his stupidity. I think his excuse will be brake failure,quite common here.

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, JAG said:

Unlucky chap.
How unlucky can you get - I mean what are the odds on that happening, especially when you are carting 42000 liters of ethanol down a winding road...

Not sure about brake failure. When one has already lost control of the steering on a bend in a tanker ...it is too late to depend on brakes to get you out of trouble.

Can happen so easily especially if not familiar with that particular road, could have miss judged the curvature.  

Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

"investigation is underway to ascertain the cause of the accident. No other vehicles were involved."

You cannot drive a tanker like its a F1 car,too fast into the bend,lucky he was not burned to death

for his stupidity. I think his excuse will be brake failure,quite common here.

regards worgeordie

brake failure not sure if that is a excuse....  re F1 maybe the best + most expensive brakes, very well serviced,  yet so far this year Red Bull and Haas have had no end of brake failures + some resulting in accidents 

"...after his vehicle carrying ethanol overturned on a bend..."

Yup. Overturned all by itself. Had nothing to do with the way the driver was operating the vehicle or defective brakes, suspension, etc. Never "My Fault". Always something or someone else's.

5 hours ago, JAG said:

Unlucky chap.

And I am sure that speeding had nothing to do with the overturning.

1 hour ago, jaltsc said:

"...after his vehicle carrying ethanol overturned on a bend..."

Yup. Overturned all by itself. Had nothing to do with the way the driver was operating the vehicle or defective brakes, suspension, etc. Never "My Fault". Always something or someone else's.

The police often report that the driver may not have been familiar with the road , could this have been the reason ? 

10 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

The police often report that the driver may not have been familiar with the road , could this have been the reason ? 

Thanks for the reminder to travel only on roads that I have knowledge of. Life could end up just going around in circles for me I guess. 

45 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Absolutely not! He was on the Mittraphap (Friendship) highway in Sikiu. It's a dead straight main dual carriageway. The only "bends" are long sweeping curves with good visibility that can be taken at fairly high speed.

I don't want to speculate on the cause, I'll leave that to the police, but it was nothing to do with familiarity with the road.

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Not sure about brake failure. When one has already lost control of the steering on a bend in a tanker ...it is too late to depend on brakes to get you out of trouble.

Can happen so easily especially if not familiar with that particular road, could have miss judged the curvature.  

Just my opinion.

"Miss judged the curvature"  more likely Speed caused the problem 

Could be wrong but I think that might be the fly over area where the 201 comes from Chaiyaphum and joins Mitraphap/Friendship in the Sikiu area.  Si Khiw probably lost in translation.

Capture.JPG.3f6280d6653c9934f7c7154f7fda5688.JPG

4 hours ago, sanukjim said:
  9 hours ago, JAG said:

Unlucky chap.

It sure would have a tendency to give me religion real fast. 

6 hours ago, billrose said:

Absolutely not! He was on the Mittraphap (Friendship) highway in Sikiu. It's a dead straight main dual carriageway. The only "bends" are long sweeping curves with good visibility that can be taken at fairly high speed.

I don't want to speculate on the cause, I'll leave that to the police, but it was nothing to do with familiarity with the road.

Dead on. Nothing on this road could seriously called a bend

You can't get away with stupid driving when pulling a tanker.   The liguid 'surges' by itself.  Even tanks with multiple compartments or baffles will surge.

Shift badly, the cargo moves...brake hard....it can feel like another truck rear-ended you.   Do a stupid move on a curving road, and you can end up on your side.

Archived