All smiles as immigration chief finds Africans in Chantaburi not breaking the law

rooster59

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, gemguy said:

Not like you are implying.

Thailand has been a major international hub of gem trading and jewelry manufacturing going on for over 30 years now while Thailand is the most popular gem trading destination to bring your rough gemstones originating from countries all over the world...not just Africa.

Thailand is in competition with China and India as a market place to bring rough gemstones to for sale as rough and or processing and then sold as loose cut and polished gems.

The authorities have made it easy for gem trading people to come here and conduct their gem trading  business over the years and that includes the immigration laws and no duties or tariffs levied on gemstone rough.

The pay off is realised in the volumes of gemstones traded and business taxes to be levied and employment for Thai people and a whole lot of entrepreneurship involved and thus money exchanged and business conducted and all the spin off effects of a open gem trading market.

It is the means and ways to sustain the business and keep the gemstone suppliers coming to Thailand as a preferred gem trading destination rather than going to China or Hong Kong or India...which they do and of concern to Thai Government authorities who fear a decline in a industry that has, in part, made Thailand world renown and somewhat famous amongst world wide gemstone traders and in the public eye also. 

For Thailand, the gemstone trade and gemstone processing and the associated jewelry manufacturing and all that is entailed is a national concern while the relevant authorities are not trying to enforce laws that that would negatively impact the gem trading activities going on in Chantaburi.

The Thais in Chantaburi welcome the African suppliers as that is a big part of how they benefit and profit from the continual supply of many kinds of gemstones that they involve themselves with.

Many Thais also go to the African source countries in an effort to buy cheaper and hopefully make more profit and by pass the competition while it is not "so secret" .......like you imply, rather in some of the African countries the authorities require foreigners to be registered or have partnerships with locals or nationals of that country or have licences to conduct gem trading business but not illegal to buy and sell gemstones to be legally exported.

But of course there is a degree of under the table , so to speak, gem trading activity occurring  and similar to the export of other raw products from those same countries.

There are gem processing companies in those source countries while the governments of those countries encourage the nationals or locals to process the countries gemstone resources but mostly the Gem Traders of that country itself prefer to mine or buy the rough gemstones and export them to Thailand and hopefully sell them all...the good the bad and the ugly quality.

Besides that, all of them like to travel and come to Thailand and prefer Thailand over going to India or China  while a big part of the reason they do come here is because it its "Hassle Free" and friendly and no one really bothers them and or scrutinizes what they do here.

So go down to Chantaburi and witness the open and free market trading of gemstones including the little Africa area where you will see a concentration of Rough gemstone suppliers from many African countries.

Cheers

All things considered, your username is spot on.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

If it's not the "gem trade" then how are they supporting themselves? 

We all know the answer to that without saying.  Just check out lower Sukhumvit after 2000hrs every night, cause you never see them during the day. - Ever.

Just now, TunnelRat69 said:

We all know the answer to that without saying.  Just check out lower Sukhumvit after 2000hrs every night, cause you never see them during the day. - Ever.

Oh no! Not illegal activities one hopes.

The first thing Thais need to know is Africa is not a country but a continent. Thai society is racist toward its own people. The darker you are the worst you might be. No wonder why Whitening products are doing well in Thailand. So This article is really racist. Thais need to know there are so many people from Thailand living in other countries. How many of them were repatriated during the Libyan war..... 

9 hours ago, Thechook said:

Comes across as extremely racist, firstly the headline and then the fact police were sent just because they were African and to see if they are breaking any laws.  We have a lot of Thais living in Niddrie, Melbourne Australia, imagine if the police were sent just to check on them.

The Australian Federal Police along with Immigration quite often conduct raids on ethnic communities, usually after a tip-off about undocumented illegal workers. Nothing strange or racist about that.

11 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

All the tour guidance books and Thai cultural articles say it is very bad to touch a person's head.

Acceptable and very common with children. 

7 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

That you are aware of.

In case you were unaware, there's a whole lot of Thais engaged in a violent deadly insurrection in the  deep south of Thailand. They are followers of a certain religion and it is not Buddhism.

Thais by location, not by ethnic background. 

The authorises had to act but why did a very high ranking, top brass, Immigration officer, have to be in attendance? A bit OTT.

Maybe he, the top brass, was hoping to be seen taking credit for the numerous planned arrests? But! The plan back-fired.

I also agree with a previous post regarding racism. I also consider racism, very high in Thailand.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

10 minutes ago, pentap said:

The authorises had to act but why did a very high ranking, top brass, Immigration officer, have to be in attendance? A bit OTT.

Maybe he, the top brass, was hoping to be seen taking credit for the numerous planned arrests? But! The plan back-fired.

I also agree with a previous post regarding racism. I also consider racism, very high in Thailand.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

There is no racism in Thailand from Thais, if you're not Thai you don't exist - so no problem. 

14 hours ago, Thechook said:

Comes across as extremely racist, firstly the headline and then the fact police were sent just because they were African and to see if they are breaking any laws.  We have a lot of Thais living in Niddrie, Melbourne Australia, imagine if the police were sent just to check on them.

yeah but 7 to 800 Africans living in one area of Thailand just has to be suspicious. I doubt weather they are all legal and above board just smarter than the average Thai Police heirachy. 

15 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

All the tour guidance books and Thai cultural articles say it is very bad to touch a person's head.

Oh yes, and we all want to live 100 years back in time.

15 hours ago, Thechook said:

Yeah, that´s right! See everything as negative. I knew that you had to find something wrong.

Why not just say that it was a good thing that all where ok, and can continue live and work in Thailand.

It seems there are a lot of people who think that its wrong to check on foreign workers.

Maybe they should pull in 30 Thai people at the same time they pull in the Africans.

Not sure it would actually mean anything but it wouldn't be so upsetting for the bleeding hearts.

16 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

All that means is that it's bad for foreigners to touch a Thai's head. They do whatf they want. Rules are for us, not them. This photo says it all.

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Not children's heads

Go ahead, walk around and touch random thai kids on the head in front of mom and dad. Let us know how it turns out. I've seen two fights start over exactly this.

19 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Colour should not matter, though for the more intolerant it is key.

C'mon, the Thai Chinese will tell you the Black Ducks always taste better than the White ones.

18 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

C'mon, the Thai Chinese will tell you the Black Ducks always taste better than the White ones.

No idea as am vegetarian.

However in the context of my post, I was referring to the hate some put into the words they use and how they use them.

Bigots, still with us, quite depressing really...

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

No idea as am vegetarian.

However in the context of my post, I was referring to the hate some put into the words they use and how they use them.

Bigots, still with us, quite depressing really...

Oh, lighten up, it's not South Africa.

On 07/05/2017 at 2:21 PM, giddyup said:

Didn't you say see post #24 talking about the African gem trade? No matter, not important.

I cannot really see your point. What are you trying to say? You are intimating an illegal business is occurring but what?

17 hours ago, dcnx said:

Go ahead, walk around and touch random thai kids on the head in front of mom and dad. Let us know how it turns out. I've seen two fights start over exactly this.

Ridiculous. If you know the kids its OK to rub them on the head as a form of affection. Obviously if you are going up to random, stranger's kids then it's not appropriate!! Common Sense really.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

I cannot really see your point. What are you trying to say? You are intimating an illegal business is occurring but what?

It was pretty clear, I said it wouldn't be the first time a legal business was used as a front for illegal activities. I also said I wasn't suggesting that this was happening.

Archived